It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

No religion has to do with test. So you can't test it.

Belief that they cannot be proven even though I think in my life I've seen enough proof.

In as much as Muslims are fast growing but are currently hitting a low, atheism can do the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

It has a dogma, sects, and idols. Call it what you will, it is a religion now.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I am not a wild boaster or a teller of tales my friend. I am not here to pump up your ego, to inflate your hope, or to tell you things I do not know to be the truth. I have never mislead anyone, I do not exaggerate, and I do not make claims that I do not know. I make the assertion because I have the authority to do so.

Really? You're not misleading anyone at all, despite the fact that none of your nonsense has ever been proven and never will be? Just so you know, Zeus is the one true god. I know that for a fact because I've experienced IT.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
Really? You're not misleading anyone at all, despite the fact that none of your nonsense has ever been proven and never will be? Just so you know, Zeus is the one true god. I know that for a fact because I've experienced IT.

IAMIAM is quite contradictory in his guru-osity. Part of the time he's pantheist/panentheist and other times a monotheist. (Watch out, he'll almost certainly tell us he's beyond labels also). Mostly he hides behind the well-meaning "love everyone" quip, but his theology is so convoluted I don't even think he understands it.

He's subject to the same problem any other theist is. He needs to be able to establish the truth of his claims objectively.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
We snark, so what? It's part of our charm. And philosophers? I'm a philosophy student (well, it's my minor), and see no need for a conception of any deity. In fact, a great deal of philosophers have come to similar conclusions.

To repeat what I've repeated ad nauseum: Any claim that is made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Claims of believers and mystics are made without evidence, we dismiss them without evidence.

How can you find evidence of deities if you don't know what a deity is? A deity can be biological or simply a state of energy transfer. Your not even willing to concede that there are MORE than 4 dimensions to the universe despite the fact scientists have made such claims and we all know you guys LOVE science like nothing else.

Stop being a hypocrite!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

reply to post by kallisti36

Or they would get nearly 1000 posts.

Now, there's no persecution complex here. I was just remarking at the anomalous number of anti-atheist threads on here lately.

I'm just throwing that one out, because it's one of your favorite accusations against Theists who "can't take the heat".

If you hadn't noticed the state of youtube and how if you type "Bible" into google you get "Bible contradiction" and "Evil Bible" within the first couple results, atheists have kind of had a monopoly over the internet.

That might be because the Bible is...well...full of contradictions. And parts of it are in fact quite evil. But how do we have a monopoly of the internet? I mean...it's a huge thing. There are plenty of places for Christians to go. There's Rapture Ready for crying out loud. The idea that atheists have a monopoly over the internet fails quite a bit when you realize the sheer volume of internet Christian evangelizing.

Hell, how many "Let's get 1 million people for Jesus to support ______ " groups are there on Facebook?

I see a very large atheist or secular majority on the internet, even on ATS (well maybe up until recently). Do you remember that thread with the quiz that identified your "ideal religion"? I remember 3/4 of the people getting Unitarian Universalist (church for people who hate church and a definable dogma), Therevada Buddhism, Secular non-theist, or Neo-Pagan. It would seem as though most organized religion is looked down upon. Now look at an atheist video on Youtube and the comments that accompany it, then look at the Christian videos. One might make the assertion from seeing that that there is either a larger number of anti-theistic atheists or Christians just can't be bothered to post replies or like a video. Yes of course we have "if you like Jesus" groups and Christian apologetics on youtube, but they are rather insular, no? Most people want nothing to do with hard religion. The rule seems to be disinterest in religion, and/or making snidy comments about it. The Atheist community seems to blend into everyday internet use (though often regarded as obnoxious by your typical person) whereas "Jesus freaks" (loaded language, introduced into our everyday vocabulary) are considered fringe and much maligned.

Try being an apologist on Youtube until that massive neck-bearded yeti, the amazing atheist makes a video consisting of swearing and personal attacks and gets a million likes from his idiot fans.

Wow, 2 1/2 personal attacks in a complaint about personal attacks! I happen to not like his channel because of his style.

The Amazing Atheist is an ass and it has absolutely nothing to do with his disbelief in a deity. I remember when he joined thatguywiththeglasses.com to review movie trailers (wat), everyone hated him, even other contributors on the site. There are currently two petitions going around to take him off the site, because he's such an obnoxious jerk. I'm not going to sugarcoat it (he'd probably eat it), jerk is the primary adjective one should use to describe him, with atheist being a tertiary adjective. It's nice to see that there are atheists who see him as a jerk, but my point in bringing him up is not to use him as a poster boy for atheism, but to point out a symptom of venomous debates. The youtube atheist community is willing to give creedance and a soap box to a huge jerk so they can see him tear apart a theist in the bloody (and stupid) arena that is Youtube debate.

YouTube has an outspoken atheist community. Deal with it.

ATS has an outspoken theist community. Deal with it.

The point I'm trying to make is that Atheists have been attacking Theists for a long time and that will naturally put them on the offensive.

Wow, you're going to put the atheists as the aggressors? What about Socrates? He was an atheist put to death for spreading atheism. What about anyone who was an atheist in the Middle Ages? What about being an atheist under McCarthyism?

"Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt." -Last Words of Socrates.
Socrates wasn't an atheist, one might better describe him as a heretic or a skeptic. Don't twist the ideologies of people in the past and assume they would be an atheist by today''s standards. Atheists like to do this with Deists.

What about being a Christian before the 400's, when they were flayed alive in front of jeering crowds of people, what about being a Christian in Japan in the 1500's to the 1800's when you were liable to be crucified for your beliefs? What about being a Christian under less than civil Caliphates, what about being a Christian in the Soviet Union or any communist country? What about being a Christian who took the "lilies of the field" diatribe to heart under McCarthyism in direct contrast to Protestant work ethic?

Everyone is persecuted. It's part of life.

I'm sorry, but we're not the ones who started this.

And I suppose Jesus and Paul did? Or was it men who weren't listening?

There aren't any secret meetings for either group as far as I know,

...that was a joke in reference to the amount of anti-atheist threads. Of course there wasn't a meeting.

I was joking too, but one must bare in mind, that there is dangerous talk around these parts.

they just constantly victimize each other by being jerks and morons. These are natural internet cycles, you were probably just inside when the gale changed directions.

The problem is that this has been more than a cycle, it's been a constant since I got back.

The anti-theists probably ran out of steam. Wait it out and the Theists will get tired of wasting hours refuting atheists and there will be an opening for some good ol' Xtian bashing.
edit on 2-2-2011 by kallisti36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Why are you so angry and hateful? Good grief, someone just called you friend. I will call you friend as well friend. There you go. Here comes the question again, if you do not believe in our God or beliefs then why do you hate us so?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian, or any other religion for that matter, but I see just as much bigotry coming from atheists as I do from Christians. Both are just as guilty. This thread is a prime example of only being able to dislike someone for the things you dislike about yourself.

I would love to see an actual logical debate on the existence or nonexistence of God, but I fear that is impossible for ATS as this touchy topic always comes with ignorance from both sides of the fence.

Also for all the atheists, next time you try to disprove God (I'm not taking sides here) don't only go after the Christian God because that seems to be the only one that atheists fight against. There are a lot of other perspectives around the world what God is. I believe in God but I don't try to personify what that entity could be. It's illogical for us to think that we can do so.
edit on 2-2-2011 by elfulanozutan0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
How can you find evidence of deities if you don't know what a deity is? A deity can be biological or simply a state of energy transfer.

I've never heard anyone ever claim that deities could be biological or "states of energy transfer".

This means that, by your definitions, an amoeba, a battery or your car's transmission could be deities.

Can you give a specific example of a deity using your definition?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I'm not your friend. I hate your kind because you and them are the perfect definition of nonsense, that's why. Your belief system has been a poison to humanity and it continues to ruin the minds of children who are indoctrinated into it by forceful parents. I see no rationality in it and neither should you.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

What about Socrates? He was an atheist put to death for spreading atheism.

It seems that Socrates had a personal 'daimon' which is, more or less, a guardian angel or personal god. That doesn't strike me as very consistent with atheism. It also seems that Socrates was an initiate of the mysteries. Again, not something consistent with atheism.

"The favor of the gods has given me a marvelous gift, which has never left me since my childhood. It is a voice which, when it makes itself heard, deters me from what I am about to do and never urges me on." -Character of Socrates in Theages, Plato

There is a difference between refusing to worship the gods of the state and being an atheist. So I think calling Socrates an atheist is an oversimplification at best.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

IAMIAM is quite contradictory in his guru-osity. Part of the time he's pantheist/panentheist and other times a monotheist. (Watch out, he'll almost certainly tell us he's beyond labels also). Mostly he hides behind the well-meaning "love everyone" quip, but his theology is so convoluted I don't even think he understands it.

He's subject to the same problem any other theist is. He needs to be able to establish the truth of his claims objectively.

That's a bit unfair. It's what I would expect from a wise Christian. Dogma is a sticky issue and the whole concept of the Christian God is pretty confusing (what one might expect of an eternal omnipotent being). For instance, the concept of the Trinity isn't in the Bible, it was an attempt by the Church fathers to explain the confusing nature of God. Is it right? Maybe; until we meet him, it's as good an explanation as any. There's nothing wrong with being a pantheist Christian either, it's the idea of God as an all in one. It's still one, so it's still monotheist. Is it correct? Maybe. The point is that, the only thing we will ever understand is God's will for us and the world. Trying to understand the nature of God will just confuse you. Anti-theists love this because they think they can trap God in a paradox loop and disprove him ala "Can God make a mountain so big even he can't pick it up? *hee hee* clever *s'n-word's*" As if an omnipotent being could be bound within the confines of a paradox. "Well can he?", yes, in fact he did it eons before your tiny lump of gray matter started tossing that gem of critical thinking around.

Anyways, it's pretty sad when you regard IAMIAM's turning the other cheek with suspicion, thinking it's some clever ruse to beat you in a debate. Maybe, I donno, he's a nice guy?

Addendum apparently a word that sounds like "snicker" except with G's is hard to distinguish from a racial slur.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Christian Voice

I'm not your friend. I hate your kind because you and them are the perfect definition of nonsense, that's why. Your belief system has been a poison to humanity and it continues to ruin the minds of children who are indoctrinated into it by forceful parents. I see no rationality in it and neither should you.

Thank you for telling us how to think!

Certainly Christianity has never done anything for anyone ever. We are just children playing in the sand trying to come up with fanciful explanations for natural phenomena.

We should all look up to you instead of our imaginary friends that shower us with unconditional love and purpose. You are so much wiser and dare I say, much much cooler than us. Teach me your edgy ways.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Nice guy? If he was such a nice guy, he would stop calling me his friend and brother when I ask him to. He refuses to do so and continues the offense, so he's not as nice as you think. I probably seem like an evil guy, but that's ok because I prefer it that way in some cases. I can be extremely courteous to certain people, but hostility has its place too. IAMIAM is just as capable of hostility as anyone else.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by something wicked

I still don't see how calling out people on their basic scientific illiteracy is bigoted. Creationists routinely demonstrate a lack of knowledge of science, from the man on the street to the guy in the front of the auditorium giving talks on the subject. Hell, Kent Hovind claims to have taught high school science for years and demonstrates less scientific knowledge than I had as a student in high school.

Sure, those accusations have been throw about by all sorts of people about all sorts of groups...but those groups are more groups than atheists. Atheists lack a single belief....we're not a group that congregates out of anything more than a need for defense.

As for why we (and particularly I) hang around religious forums:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ef87a9d6e4b.png[/atsimg]

Actually I can subscribe to your last point, hence me posting again here, kind of fun isn't it? If you mean by creationists those that believe the earth came into being a few thousand years ago and ignore evolution, then actually I totally agree with you - but that's not religion, it's not even an agreed concept in any religion I'm aware of. It came about from a 19th century rector with a passion for geology (but little in the way of formal training) who for some reason got picked up on by some fundamenalists while everyone else politely turned the other way and coughed.

Out of interest, do you think the majority of people who believe in some kind of divine architect do not believe in evolution? Do you imagine that (picking as an example) the Vatican has stated evolution is not a given? If you do believe that, then that's fine, but do you have a quote?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Spare the sarcasm for another time.

Certainly Christianity has never done anything for anyone ever. We are just children playing in the sand trying to come up with fanciful explanations for natural phenomena.

Yep, that about sums it all up.

We should all look up to you instead of our imaginary friends that shower us with unconditional love and purpose. You are so much wiser and dare I say, much much cooler than us. Teach me your edgy ways.

How about you look up to logic and evidence instead? That would make it much easier for me and consume less time.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

That website asserts that there is evidence to prove the Koran's claims. What do you have to say about that? Looks like your bible is wrong. Actually, both are wrong because evidence is nonexistent on both sides. I was just making a point.

People can make all the claims they want but unless we agree on what constitutes proof the entire discussion is just an exchange of ideas. Can you prove that their is no evidence for either religion? Or maybe there is but its not satisfactory for you??

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Nice guy? If he was such a nice guy, he would stop calling me his friend and brother when I ask him to. He refuses to do so and continues the offense, so he's not as nice as you think. I probably seem like an evil guy, but that's ok because I prefer it that way in some cases. I can be extremely courteous to certain people, but hostility has its place too. IAMIAM is just as capable of hostility as anyone else.

It's part of our belief system. "Love thy enemy, bless them that curse you" if you don't like it, don't talk to a humble devout Christian, because he will keep calling you friend hoping that you will eventually become such.

You prefer to be evil, in some cases? I guess I should have figured as much from the pentagrams, but honestly, left hand path? And you say we're childish?

I'd take self destructive altruism over a sophomoric, and forgive me for using a Nancy Liednerism, service-to-self (sorry) philosophy. Egocentricism is one of the lowest stages of developments in Piaget's (I think, to be honest, I hated Sociology) cognitive development stages. It's actually the development level of a three year old oddly enough.

Just pointing things out from the other side, I harbor no ill will towards you, just your philosophy... friend

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

edit on 2-2-2011 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfulanozutan0
I'm not a Christian, or any other religion for that matter, but I see just as much bigotry coming from atheists as I do from Christians. Both are just as guilty. This thread is a prime example of only being able to dislike someone for the things you dislike about yourself.

I would love to see an actual logical debate on the existence or nonexistence of God, but I fear that is impossible for ATS as this touchy topic always comes with ignorance from both sides of the fence.

Also for all the atheists, next time you try to disprove God (I'm not taking sides here) don't only go after the Christian God because that seems to be the only one that atheists fight against. There are a lot of other perspectives around the world what God is. I believe in God but I don't try to personify what that entity could be. It's illogical for us to think that we can do so.
edit on 2-2-2011 by elfulanozutan0 because: (no reason given)
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join