It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The worst thing about Yagi and the Brisbane floods prior, is the un-Australian view that their problem is not the rest of Australia's problem.

It angers me when people cry out like the Government is stealing their money for no just cause, yet there are thousands of displaced people in Queensland who did not deserve or expect to have their lives ruined on such a massive scale.

These people who don't support their country men and women fail to see that if a horiffic natural disaster were to strike their home region and take everything they had, the rest of Australia would support them. Its utterly selfish and closed minded to suggest this isnt our problem. It is our problem because we support one another and we never ignore the suffering of our own countries people.

A mere $50-$100 a year in extra taxation, this is not going to cripple any family and if there is such a family who cant handle such a TAX then there are things like Centrelink which help those at a disadvantage.

My point is simply, if you expect your country to support you in the future should you lose your home, then support those in Queensland who have already lost theirs.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sharpy777

i agree with you there although, here in west oz we have had major floods in carnarvon recently which wiped out large farms and families and in the area i live last saturday there was a huge storm that ripped the roofs off at least 50 houses and cut power to thousands of houses some of them are still without power after 5 days , so with all due respect my friend ,help starts at home.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
After reading these 18 pages, i'm extremely relieved to hear/read that so far no lives were lost. Though i doubt everyone came through unscathed, it is a good sign.
My hat goes off to the people of Australia, you really are a well organised bunch of very tough nuts! Things like this really pull my heart strings, my thoughts are with you. I wish you all the best in your efforts now to salvage and rebuild.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Queensland - The Sunshine State. LOL J/K Queensland - The torrential weather state.

What a summer we have had! I am glad and very surprised that there are no casualties.

My mum lives in Townsville so I was watching the news closely. It was apparent to me early that the news overstated this cyclone, however it is still a lot more intense than cyclone larry (as stated by many locals who witnessed cyclone Larry).

In saying that, I am glad it was not nearly as bad as everyone expected. I wish all of my northern neighbours the best in the clean up over the next few weeks/months.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

dont forget your western neighbours , ........ remember W.A. Western Australia , Perth, the most isolated city in the world, hmm thats right , out of sight out of mind

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gate13

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by oibena

I see your non-topic related post and raise you a dead David Koche rumour!

Nice try tho, "MONSTER CYCLONE.... but I want to talk about asylum seekers..."

edit on 2/2/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

this is not true. he is still alive

Oh crap it was you on UStream wasnt it !!
lollers!!

))

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by scratcher

I am personally affected by the cyclone (and the floods here a few weeks ago) so therefore more likely to sympathise with Queenslanders. And, well, you don't even have a proper rugby league team

JK I wish everyone in Australia, I mean the World well who is dealing with some nasty weather at the moment, whether they have a footy team or not.

It will take a long time for everyone to recover.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
God speed to the Aussies and good luck. I have many an Aussie friend and I hope that this disastrous situation clears up soon for them.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I read an interesting story from the ABC suggesting there was a lot of luck involved because the story diverted away from populated areas. The hype hadn't been exaggerated. It could have been a lot worse.

Storm Chaser Say's...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
It was very lucky that it took a far less populated course although the destruction was still very bad 1/3 homes completely gone in Tully and Mission Beach, whilst Tully residents took shelter in Evacuation centre one whole street of mission beach's residents took shelter in a resident of street's cyclone shelter, every house on that street was either blown away or had severe damage. Note that these houses are built with extreme building codes and is tied down to large foundations in everyway, roofs screwed down with 3-5" Cyclone rated screws and washers were simply peeled off.
It was amazing that very few injuring are being reported although one death has come out in the news today of a resident who was useing a generator during the black without and no windows open in the house and died from the fumes.
Althought its not quite over yet as a massive cold front reaches up from the southern ocean and colides with the percipetation of ex-tropical cyclone and Yasi.

This cold front is so massive its visable on the Australian Nation radar loop, along with alot of rain www.bom.gov.au...
Link to full news. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Im in Melbourne and my entire house is leaking, the roads are like rivers in some areas of the city, i drove through one of these only minutes ago, the traffic lights are all breaking down, I saw upwards of 8 broken down cars along the roads and accidents happening, no police or emergency vehicles anywhere, it is REALLY dangerous out there, you can barely see a thing through the windscreen. SCARY

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately there has been one death from Yasi.

It wasn't from the storm itself, but a guy who was using a generator in a closed room in a house after the cyclone who suffocated from the carbon monoxide.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ok now its getting crazy look for yourself as the equator meets anatartica

Major rainfall happening Australia wide, although the weather anomaly could work to our favour as its really sucking all the percipitation away very fast

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

I'm in SE Melbourne and we copped 150mm of rain yesterday..
Our road was waist deep in water..
People who have lived here over 30 years say it's never happened before..

And they are expecting more rain tomorrow...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Best of luck with these "natural" disasters. Meanwhile Sydney has a record breaking heatwave reaching all the way up too the Sunshine coast.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharpy777
The worst thing about Yagi and the Brisbane floods prior, is the un-Australian view that their problem is not the rest of Australia's problem.

It angers me when people cry out like the Government is stealing their money for no just cause, yet there are thousands of displaced people in Queensland who did not deserve or expect to have their lives ruined on such a massive scale.

These people who don't support their country men and women fail to see that if a horiffic natural disaster were to strike their home region and take everything they had, the rest of Australia would support them. Its utterly selfish and closed minded to suggest this isnt our problem. It is our problem because we support one another and we never ignore the suffering of our own countries people.

A mere $50-$100 a year in extra taxation, this is not going to cripple any family and if there is such a family who cant handle such a TAX then there are things like Centrelink which help those at a disadvantage.

My point is simply, if you expect your country to support you in the future should you lose your home, then support those in Queensland who have already lost theirs.

No i think most people's problem with the tax is that they are being forced to donate to a cause that they would give to anyway.and the fact they don't trust our moronic government to manage it properly,

being an Aussie you would know how generous we are when it comes to thing's like this,we just don't like being told we have to,i will have to pay this tax and it pisses me off,i have already donated more to the flood charities than i will be paying in extra taxes,so I'm neither being closed minded or ignorant about the plight of my fellow Australians ,
How about we stop foreign aid for 12 months and spend the 5 billion or so on Australians,yes the same Australians that paid this money in taxes in the first place,look after our own first.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Some pics of yesterdays flooding in Melbourne's,these are from the eastern suburbs ,

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

No i think most people's problem with the tax is that they are being forced to donate to a cause that they would give to anyway.and the fact they don't trust our moronic government to manage it properly,

Australian's budget is currently running with a surplus...

Yes, Americans, a Government CAN do that despite what the WH tells you guys..

But anyways, there's NO NEED for an extra tax for these floods..
The Government could simply pay for the flood repairs and push back the idea of a surplus for a year or two..

My issue with any new tax is that once it starts, it rarely stops and we are already hearing talk of the tax staying..

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is the creek/drain 2 doors down from place,i have lived here for 6 years and never seen it so high,
Yesterday 10am

Today 11 am

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
we got hit very bad this year in melb lucky no major damage and i got out of the rain narrowly. Let me saying when I was driving and the storm hit there was zero visibilty i narrowly made it to the service station to take cover it was crazy couldnt move for about an hour till the rain slowed and the water level slowly dropped. Then it hit even worse for hours so many roads closed crazy crazy times!

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join