It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is 2012 any different to any other "End of the World Predication"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thequietone

the myans dont predict the end of the world on that date. the myans were very clever and they had several calenders in fact. now what happens on dec 2012 is all those calenders come to an end similtaneous(cant spell sorry) and that only happens every 3600 years to be precise so there must be such an important event that happens on this day for them to mark their calenders by it. Niburu keeps popping up in these forums so i guess there might be another planet that orbits earth around this time period. parts of google maps have been blacked out so i cant confirm on that one but what i do know is that there has been an increase in volcanic activity and eathquakes are getting more frequent hence australia and new zealand and i have also heard that the volcano in yellowstone park has started to make its presence known, there have been about 10 earth tremors ranging from 2.0 to 3.1 on the richter scale. now you make your own mind up but i do believe this is the start of the end. let me know what you all think.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by InsaneInsurgent11

Neither world war had this type of death rate. Why do you suppose this is going to be any different?

Did you know that over 1000 fireballs fall on Earth each day? That has been happening for ever.
Fireball FAQs

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gazzachel

now what happens on dec 2012 is all those calenders come to an end similtaneous(cant spell sorry) and that only happens every 3600 years to be precise so there must be such an important event that happens on this day for them to mark their calenders by it.

That can't be true since the long count calendar runs much longer than 3600 years.

there has been an increase in volcanic activity and eathquakes are getting more frequent

That's not true either. Volcanic activity has been remarkably stable over the last 4 decades. Earthquake activity has not increased either.

i have also heard that the volcano in yellowstone park has started to make its presence known, there have been about 10 earth tremors ranging from 2.0 to 3.1 on the richter scale.

That's not unusual. There are many quakes there. Happens all of the time.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

volcanic activity and earthquakes have happened more in the last 10 years than the last 50 years and thats a fact i will try and find the link for you to read your self. as for the long calender you are on about that runs for about 5000 yrs i think but that wasn't the only calender they had i will try and find the link for that 1 too lol but dont forget we use the gregorian calender so our calenders will be much different to the ones they had. i will find all the answers to back my claims so i will get back to you on that but there is a link you might like its www.doomsdaytube.com and that refers to a lot of the sizemic activity we have been having. let me kno what you think.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I've actually run a statistical analysis on earthquakes and found that there has not been an increase in 5.0-9.0 quakes. There has been an increase in small quakes, but this is due to more seismographs around the world that are more sensitive to these quakes.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

volcanic activity and earthquakes have happened more in the last 10 years than the last 50 years and thats a fact i will try and find the link for you to read your self.

That's not a fact and I've checked with the USGS. Here is info about volcanoes.
Has volcanic activity been increasing?

Finally, we plot below the record since reasonably comprehensive reporting of global volcanism began in the 1960s. Note that the number of confirmed erupting volcanoes has leveled off between 50 and 70 per year through the past four decades, and a linear regression line through the data indicates that volcanism has been virtually constant.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by downunder666

I think because of certain CELESTIAL bodies in the local.....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by downunder666
Ok, Firstly I'm a fence sitter on this one, I've been doing a bit of research and I understand there are many theory's behind 2012, my thing is, why is 2012 any different to any earlier "End of of the world Predications" Fact is, they CLEARY never happened, I guess I want the believers to explain to me why this is any different to any other previous end of world prediction.....

There are many examples, but heres one with 10 failed predictions.

listverse.com...

Appreciate thoughts.

Nice, only ten though, there has got to be more than that, there has to be at least a good 50 failed predictions just on ATS. Any theory that has a number of possible outcomes is a little strange to me. Which outcome is it, Planet X, Pole Shift, etc..ect.. Where was the fear of 2012 in the 90's, afterall in 95' we only had 17 years left to live, oh wait Y2K was the thing back then. I don't know it all seems like scare tactics to me. S&F Thanks!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ever since I've been alive there was something to fear, Nukes bombings, where you'd duck and cover, a lot of good that would do, who came up with that idea anyway??
Cold Wars, Arms Race, Global Warming, Terrorists I don't know I'm tired of them telling me what to be afraid of, I'm just going to enjoy life, keep an open mind and hope for the best and let fate do the predicting.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

I am a 2012 believer, but I agree with you. Few will survive 2012, and if you want to live in the moment, that's great. 2012 certainly should not be feared. It is a time of transition and we should not panic.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

How do you know that something is going to happen that will result in staggering losses of human life that have never happened before? You are talking casualties that exceed the losses in life in WW I and WW II.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

From what I've heard, it isn't an end of the world prediction but actually we are supposed to go to a higher level of consciousness.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

My point exactly! I think we are a little polluted by likes of media, movies and such, to me its bit of a money grab.... much like any other prediction... think about it.. those who believe most likely will spend all their money on survival kits/plans, etc... or simply just waste their money because they think the world will end!

I know if I believed the world was going to end, I'd be living life in style before it ended.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by typwar

From what I've heard, it isn't an end of the world prediction but actually we are supposed to go to a higher level of consciousness.

Thanks for your response, can you elaborate on the "higher level of consciousness" ?

I really don't know what that means.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

How do you know that something is going to happen that will result in staggering losses of human life that have never happened before? You are talking casualties that exceed the losses in life in WW I and WW II.

Well, yeah. WWI had more casualties than WWII and WWIII will probably have more than WWI and WWII put together. It seems to be increasing exponentially, with new weapons and everything. And then there are the natural and supernatural aspects of it... Many 2012 people believe it will be the extinction of the human race. I don't. I estimate that 10% will be left. Its just a guess, probably too optimistic. Maybe it will be more like 5%.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Well, yeah. WWI had more casualties than WWII and WWIII will probably have more than WWI and WWII put together. It seems to be increasing exponentially, with new weapons and everything. And then there are the natural and supernatural aspects of it... Many 2012 people believe it will be the extinction of the human race. I don't. I estimate that 10% will be left. Its just a guess, probably too optimistic. Maybe it will be more like 5%.

You say that WW I losses exceeded WW II losses, but then state that losses are increasing. You have contradicted yourself. Then you speculate that WW III losses would exceed the two wars put together. That is off topic of course.

The issue is why you think that a disaster is looming that is greater than 2 world wars combined? How do you estimate that 10% will be left? Is this based on anything or is all of this idle tossing out of ideas and numbers?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I meant WWII had more deaths than WWI. Sorry. I mistyped. I'll edit that as soon as they system lets me.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

No problem at all. I do that sort of thing all of the time and get heavily ridiculed for it.

What I am still wondering about is why you think that there is a future catastrophe looming which is going to be so much more devastating than anything that has happened to date.

I'm still trying to fathom why you think something of that magnitude is going to happen.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
Earthquake activity has not increased either.

The only contradiction I can see to this, according to USGS data, is that the number of large earthquakes (6+) has steadily increased over the last 2 decades or so:

research.dlindquist.com...

I truly believe the 2012 hype is greater because of the Internet and because of the post-9/11 world that we live in. There is just a feeling of increased volatility and unease. I'm pretty sure that nothing will happen in 2012, but these are certainly interesting times that we live in and if anything monumental does happen soon, it will be inconsequential with any of these lame apocalyptic predictions.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

Earthquake Myths
We can go directly to the USGS site and learn more about the data collection methods instead of looking at plots provided at 3rd party sites.

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

Earthquake Stats
Remember that there is a difference between earthquakes and located earthquakes. More earthquakes are located because of more stations and also because of more compute power going through the data and working out more quakes.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join