It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is 2012 any different to any other "End of the World Predication"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok, Firstly I'm a fence sitter on this one, I've been doing a bit of research and I understand there are many theory's behind 2012, my thing is, why is 2012 any different to any earlier "End of of the world Predications" Fact is, they CLEARY never happened, I guess I want the believers to explain to me why this is any different to any other previous end of world prediction.....

There are many examples, but heres one with 10 failed predictions.

listverse.com...

Appreciate thoughts.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I guess the "prediction" is from a civilization instead of some religious freak.

Kind of a big difference.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Is it the first one to have it's own movie?That makes all the difference

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well, i believe the theory is more than one group "predicts this" unlike your link were it was either just an individual or one theory. (Y2K) for example. This link is one of the first things that popped up. It's not bad, but there is more to it. A lot of stuff converges on Dec 21 2012. If you believe in a downward spiral theory leading to this date, you can see that things are progressively getting worse and are starting to happen more frequently than before.

www.2012planetalignment.net...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

But there are biblical references to 2012, so technically there is no difference right?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
"I think the greatest event that could happen in 2012 is nothing happens in 2012, and it keeps going on business as usual." -Joe Rogan

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by downunder666

Gday downunder, never seen anything in the bible that infers a specific year, care to enlighten me?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

Firstly I claim to know nothing about the bible, however I found this reference;

www.december212012.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
You might want to look around you, is this world right now changed from just 10 years ago? Has it changed for the better or worst?

Many ancient advanced societies have existed throughout history, they also collapsed. Why should we be any different?

One theory is we have a collective conscience and we as a whole race are better informed of how our world works and that it sucks, so in effect we might wish this civilization to end.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Because for this end of world scenario we have the internet and the ability to gather all the doom sayers together into one convenient package that makes them seem more prevalent and mainstream then they actually are.

Y2K just about caught the start of that wave with it's ridiculous levels of unbridled silliness but this time the crazy is in full on high speed broadband.

A few decades ago people were confined to spreading doom through standing on the streets with a sandwich board

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I understand what your saying, but what if we are more "in-tune" with whats going on around us? I mean, I gotta be honest I really didn't care much about the weather or flooding 10yrs ago, Frankly seeing movies like 2012, end of days etc.... have prompted me to think .... as silly as that might sound.

My point is, soon as we experience a natural disaster some automatically assume its to do with 2012......
edit on 31-1-2011 by downunder666 because: edit - add one line.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm probably going to sound really naive in writing this as I'm only recalling things I've seen on tv/movies/seen over the years on the net but isnt the whole 2012 thing based around a mayan calender? From what I understand the calender stops in december 2012.

This could mean that they have a date on the destruction of the world succesfully predicted but I like to think that the people writing the calender simply got bored after a while and went off to do something else.

As civilisations go they all rise and fall, just look at the british empire just over a century ago we were the most dominant civilisation worldwide, now look at us! the same can be said of the romans, mongols, ottoman empires etc etc. And as freak weather conditions go they've always been there, we're just experiencing the ones that happen in our lifetimes and commenting on how bad they are.

Well thats my thoughts succesfully put onto the net! Would like to know what other groups and evidence there is for the whole 'end of the world in 2012' topic is though

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thequietone

Hey quiet,

I believe there are many theories behind 2012, Religious, Ancient civilizations , Prophecies and so on, the list goes on, probably the best site I found that explains many different theories is this one below.

www.december2012endofworld.com...

(Note the links on the left hand side)

BTW i agree with your points, its fair to say what we are experiencing really is nothing new, (if you compare to history,)) For example, we are experiencing major flooding along with massive heat waves here in Aus, sure we haven't experienced this in recent years, or in my lifetime, but if you look back 100+ years its history repeating itself.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Firstly its not all about doom and gloom - there's a silver lining depending on the particular theory you subscribe to.

To answer the OP's question, I think its because of the sheer number of different sources that all point to this date. You may be able to argue that its coincidence and some theories were specifically set to coincide with this date, however many weren't.

Off the top of my head:

Mayan Calendar ending.
End/beginning of new cosmic cycle and alignment with galactic centre
Revelations from the bible (doesn't give a specific date but many believe the events are relevant to today).
Attainment of christ consciousness/global shift in consciousness - many different spiritual and/or new age beliefs.
Timewave Zero

There are many more.

Not only that but there's some pretty strong signs that this is happening.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I don't think anything will happen. We have had many predictions over the years about the world ending, or the world changing dramatically, but they have not come true, even though some people believed they would, just like with this prediction. Chances are the same people believed in all these predictions, and they will caryy on believing them after this one has gone too.

I bet you that after this prediction comes and goes, another one will rear its ugly head. I will always have a stance, and that stance is i will believe it when i see it. Whats the point of seeing it any other way. You will either be scared because you think the world is going to end, or you will be so exited because you believe something great will happen.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I think it's obvious that we are being pushed into 2012 similar to how it has happened before. The main difference is that, until quite recently, it was impossible for a single person to have a truly global view. And now that we are able to get news from all over the world almost as it happens, and often whether the Powers That Be want us to know about it or not, it is clear that something kind of weird is happening. Maybe this is the the way the planet has always been, but there are a lot of other changes that I think are new for this planet. One is the population size. That means that the effects of almost any natural disaster get magnified because it's almost certain to kill someone. There are just so many people around!

Also, the depletion of our natural resources is no joke. It has bad physical effects on the planet as well as bad economic effects on us. Another factor is that the population is waking up to the fact that there are some people on this planet that seem to be able to exert a lot of influence and who are extremely well-funded who do not seem to have the best interests of the man in the street in mind.

So, you have real physical pressures on the body of the planet. You have a biosphere that is getting destroyed at a rate that probably hasn't happened since the woolly mammoths all died. You have a spiritual shift that has to do with increased awareness of the whole scene, and you have the psychic enturbulation of all the media crud and bad news that circulates daily across the globe. To me, this puts things more on edge than they have been in a long time.

I have seen nothing to convince me that we have the year, month and day correctly determined. It's really just a guess. But I think it's fairly obvious that something HAS to change sooner or later. I am VERY suspicious of the whole religious whirlpool surrounding this date. I would like the people of this planet, for once, to get the idea that they could take control of their own lives and their own futures and that it really isn't all up to "God." That just smells like a control mechanism to me. It really does.

The ancient Mayans who made that calendar were part of that whole religious scene. Of course the various "holy" books that predict a time of reckoning are also part of that. And I think a lot of the ETs that are feeding various channellers and "light workers" data about this event are involved in that, too.

So I take this approach: I don't care how fancy their talk is, I don't need any ET race, god, or savior coming down here to "handle things" for us. I want to figure out how to do it ourselves. We either will or we won't. If we do, we can stand proud as a planet that made it through bad times on our own knowledge and initiative. If we don't we'll join the ranks of thousands of other failed planets that litter the pages of the cosmic history books. And we'll have to go somewhere else and try again.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by downunder666
... why is 2012 any different to any earlier "End of of the world Predications"

It isn't. And like all the rest it's a load of modern made up new agey nonsense aimed at parting the gullible from their pounds and dollars.

Rest assured, in 2013 they'll come up with a new date.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dropdjones
If you believe in a downward spiral theory leading to this date, you can see that things are progressively getting worse and are starting to happen more frequently than before.

What things? Why do you think they are happening more frequently than before? Before what?

www.2012planetalignment.net...

The Meso-American Long-Count calendar offer no prophecies or predictions, nor does it imply anything about alignments, "pole shifts" or anything else. It is simply a count of days from a given starting point.

Per the inverse square law and centuries of observations, planetary alignments have no noticeable effect on Earth, and the only alignments of note in 2012 will be those conjunctions that happen more or less every year. No alignment of our planet with any reference point or actual object in our galaxy, real or imagined, can have any noticeable effect on Earth, also per the inverse square law. Gravitational and magnetic forces at the distances involved are too weak to even affect tides or our magnetosphere, let alone wreak havoc upon the structure of our planet.

There are no "modern scientists" who seriously contend that the physical poles of our planet will reverse in 2012, or that such an event is even possible by way of any "alignment."

Dr. Adam Maloof, the geologist who conducted the Princeton research mentioned (but not cited) in the article you link to, explains the implications of his study in a way that is quite at odds with the claims of 2012 doomsayers:

---

"Really, the million dollar question is: How long do these shifts take?" Maloof recently explained in a documentary. The data indicates that the ancient pole shift may have taken place over a period of a million years or more. "This is not the kind of thing where you'd have sudden catastrophic events that a human might observe," Maloof concluded. Moreover, in his view, pole shift was most likely to occur when the Earth's land masses fused into a single supercontinent — a situation that has happened at least twice in the distant past — possibly creating a more conducive distribution of mass deep within the Earth's mantle. Today, in comparison, the continents are much more evenly spread out, making it unlikely that a pole shift will occur anytime in the foreseeable future.

---

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by l_e_cox

. I am VERY suspicious of the whole religious whirlpool surrounding this date. I would like the people of this planet, for once, to get the idea that they could take control of their own lives and their own futures and that it really isn't all up to "God." That just smells like a control mechanism to me. It really does.

Couldn't agree more, I guess the thing that intrigues me, is how is it possible so many predictions, calendars, religious beliefs all relate to the exact date... and how do we really know they do?
edit on 1-2-2011 by downunder666 because: edit

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by downunder666
Ok, Firstly I'm a fence sitter on this one, I've been doing a bit of research and I understand there are many theory's behind 2012, my thing is, why is 2012 any different to any earlier "End of of the world Predications" Fact is, they CLEARY never happened, I guess I want the believers to explain to me why this is any different to any other previous end of world prediction.....

There are many examples, but heres one with 10 failed predictions.

listverse.com...

Appreciate thoughts.

So you have researched "2012" and now you are on the fence? Sounds like someone is trying to convince themselves and perhaps looking for complacent and placid answers. If you are scared...don't be. No one knows for sure when the world will end and if that is even a possibility.
All we really have to suggest that there has ever been any type of extinction before is:
Dinosaurs...specifically perfectly preserved dinosaurs...

Your time is better spent looking into archaeology, geology, physics, and other sciences. You cannot worry but watch the news. Look at signs. Each day of this new year has been a gloomy warning. FEMA just ordered millions of meals. And the airforce commercial?

Heres the thing, its better to have a definitive thought on what exactly is happening in the World today. This means making up your own mind about the News, and different resources you see. If all you've seen (yellowstone, animal die offs, possible second sun appearance) does not clue you in to a possible disaster than
ooo kay than. You needn't worry yourself with this forum. Why spend time arguing with someone about whether or not the world will end in 2012?

I used to believe the World would end in 2012, but now I have taken a completely different pov. Personally I don't think the World will end entirely...and I am trying to be in that fringe group of people that survive another day. Make up your own mind; you don't need a bulletized listing of whats going to happen. No one has the exact answers.

I leave you with a video so that you can be aware the future can hold many different possibilities. Just b/c all of NASA is telling you there is nothing to worry about doesn't mean that all is well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join