It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 arrested at California conservative meeting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Article

LA QUINTA, Calif. – Authorities in California say 25 protesters have been arrested for trespassing outside a strategy session of conservative political donors at a Palm Springs-area resort.

Sunday was the second day of the four-day conclave. It was organized by brothers David and Charles Koch, who have funded the fight against global warming laws and have financial ties to tea party groups.

I cant really find much about this. The above article says these protests are supposed to go on for four days I believe.

Heres another article thats more in-depth.Article 2

An estimated 800 to 1,000 protesters from a spectrum of liberal groups vented their anger chiefly at Charles and David Koch, brothers who have used many millions of dollars from the energy conglomerate they run in Wichita to finance conservative causes. More than two dozen protesters, camera crews swarming around them, were arrested on trespassing charges when they went onto the resort grounds.

Ill look around and see if theres more info on this.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Heres a few youtube videos from the protests.

It looks like a pretty good sized crowd.

Im guessing that the protesters are mad because the Koch brothers have sent a few million dollars to conservative politicians. It sounds like the Koch brothers corporation has more influence in politics because of their campaign contributions. The protesters seem to be ticked that their voices are smaller than that of the Koch brothers corporation.

In the 2nd video, it sounds like they are yelling "No justice, no peace." Im not 100% sure thats what they're saying, but it sounds like it.

In short, the people are pissed because corporations buy politicians.

From the 2nd article posted in the OP -

The political retreat, held at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa about 130 miles east of Los Angeles, amounted to a victory lap for the Koch brothers, who helped finance conservative candidates in the fall campaigns through their company’s political action committee, which spent $2.5 million, as well as through advocacy groups like Americans for Prosperity.

“This is a critical moment for us,” Mary Boyle, vice president for communications at Common Cause, said in an interview. “The Koch brothers embody this ability to tap vast corporate profits and influence policies that undermine the public welfare.”

The Koch retreat “will harm no one,” Professor Smith said. “They are not going to do any more than talk and listen to speakers. That this alarms these protesters is an ironic commentary on their lack of faith in the American electorate and the power of their own ideas.”

edit on 31-1-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Liberals have always been champions at silencing their enemies free speech rights. I wonder how they would react if violent protesters picketed an ACLU meeting or a gay rights meeting. I'm glad they were arrested. Hopefully they will spend some time in jail. Most of these "do gooders" are rent a mob types anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Liberals always blah blah blah, and this is the end of my test. Goes to show that you start any post with the word "Liberals..." and you're bound to get a star or two no matter what you say afterwords.

edit on 31-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Liberals always blah blah blah, and this is the end of my test. Goes to show that you start any post with the word "Liberals..." and you're bound to get a star or two no matter what you say afterwords.

edit on 31-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

Liberals always say that, typical liberal!

-looks to see how many stars he gets-

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I dont really think that this protest was "violent". Most of them were just hanging around, holding up signs, atleast from what I see in the videos.The reason the 25 protesters got arrested, was because they crossed into an area where they werent supposed to. I dont believe that is considered "violence."

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

So Mr. Pius, if you are such an advocate of free speech why do look down on people exercising their free speech?

edit on 31-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The protesters look like they were probably promised free soup.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

This has nothing to do with the political ambitions of the protesters and all to do with corporate influence in American politics.

No matter where the corporation leans, they have no right to be involved in American politics.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Do tell. Is that why corporations like the big banks/ investment firms, AIG, Big PhRma and the medical insurers, General Motors, McDonalds, etc have effectively set up "limited partnerships" with the federal government and are now subsidized by the taxpayers? (who is paying for those waivers from Obamacare?) Not to mention unions like SEIU and the UAW.

This was a private meeting on private property and these "protestors" were bused in from a considerable distance away. (who do we suppose picked up the tab? Palm Springs ain't cheap) Did they bring the "New" Black Panthers for "security" and Code Pink for volume?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I betcha George Soros is Behind all This ! .............He's the Devil incarnate you know .........

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Did you read what I said?

Go back and re-read it.

NO corporation should be involved in our government. Got it? Left or right, I don't give a rat's ass.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Because you said that this "had nothing to do with the political ambitions of the protestors"...awww I was born in the morning, but not THIS morning. If they had been protesting a gathering of democrats, I might believe you. But they weren't.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Why should I argue with another MSM-brainwashed puppet? Thank you. You've given me enough reasons not to.

Koch Industries could care less about you or I. Too bad it's taking you forever to grasp that concept.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

You surely aren't implying that the MSM is now beaming their bs sans television or radio. Corporations? Or communists. What a choice (Not) Heh. Brainwashed indeed.
Good morning...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I like Pie.. Pie > cake...

Tip of the day - When you want to protest, make sure you are not on private property when you do it, or you can be told to leave and arreted for failure to comply.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Because to people like him, some speech is more free than others. Four legs good, two legs better!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Most of these "do gooders" are rent a mob types anyway.

ur right,
these type organizations pay folks to show up
and wave some signs and do some chants and
usually get paid about $100 a day tax free
with free food and beverages.

The ones who get arrested get paid $300.00 a day
and get their court costs paid for and a patsy judge
to drop charges at a later date.

Politics as usual
ur check is in the mail

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
I betcha George Soros is Behind all This ! .............He's the Devil incarnate you know .........

ya know

u might be right

on both

top topics

<<   2 >>

join