It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Social Security the next thing to be cut or taken away?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by snowman9364

The more I read the more messed up I feel these judgements are. I HAD TO TAKE SHOTS FOR 10 years of my life. You can't get ss for just depression. Depression is not about being sad. My drepression stems from the fact that until I got on the shots I had every infection imganible. I have had ear infections on top of bronchitis and bladder infection. (all at the same time.) I was only 4 years old; they thought I would not make it to adulthood. I was first diagnosised with csytic fibrosis. Then thanks goodness they found out that was not what I had.
For most of my early child hood I was at DRs offices 20% of the time. I was on medication 15% of the time and then I started with the shots which I got once a week.
This is not about the depression part. This is something that is not my fault; that continues to get worse over my adult life. It is only manageable by the drastic steps I take to keep healthy. This is what I do to stay healthy.
I do not go into stores for more than 15 minutes. I have most of my goceries delivered. I constantly wash my hands and carry hand sanitizer. I never allow anyone who is sick with something contagious to come over. I exercise and eat healthy. I go the hospital if I get too bad. I take care of my health and go to the DR. This immune defiency does not have to be a death sentence. This is why I need disablity so I can stay home when there is a bad flu going around or so I do not have to be under flursent lighting. A hospital has special covers so I am ok there.
I have been hospitalized because I had an infection so bad that they had to give me 3 times the regular strength. I get staph infections. My grandmother had a similar condition and she died at 78 years old. She was home bound a lot yet went out occassionally. She was very happy regardless. My condition is much worse.
I don't think about it much but now I am forced to since people are judging me based on something that is not my fault.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

I am not for them cutting it for future beneficeries either. I want everyone to be able to have enough to live on. They need to reform it to allow people to make more money without reducing benefits. I would work more if I could. I work 20 hours per week but i am willing to work 30 hours per week. I believe I can not work more than 32 hours per week.
I think the retirement age should be about 65. It is not fair that people have to work their whole lives; people have 10-20 good years. When you are a kid you have to go to school a good portion of the time.
I want to see an outline of the plan they are proposing. It just seems like something sneaky is going on.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

By the way I don't want social security to be taken away from anyone. I don't want suffering for anyone. I am not willing to live on the streets either.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
umm your working from home answering phones... your able to work right?... id sure like to know who approved you for disability??

www.socialsecurity.gov...

rules by SS for disability...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

By the way I don't want social security to be taken away from anyone. I don't want suffering for anyone. I am not willing to live on the streets either.

ps... im done here...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Yes I am able to work part time from home only or with very drastic accomendations. Most companies are not willing to work with me. I have even tried just working without asking for them but I either quit or lose the job. The main issue is I get sick so often that I must work from home
This is not a black and white issue. It isn't can you work or not. Most people can work in some form even if it is just one task they can do.
My ablity to work or whether or not I should be on SS is not the issue. I just want to know where to get some straight answers.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
•You cannot do work that you did before;
•We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
•Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

www.socialsecurity.gov...

That fits with me. I can't work in retail anymore due to the flurscent lights. I can not adjust because companies will not put the needed covers. I have had this disorder my whole life and could lead to my death if I do not be careful with my health. During the whole swine flu epdemic I never got it. I never got simply because I could stay at home more. When I got on disablity there were not a lot of work at home jobs.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Yes I am able to work part time from home only or with very drastic accomendations. Most companies are not willing to work with me. I have even tried just working without asking for them but I either quit or lose the job. The main issue is I get sick so often that I must work from home
This is not a black and white issue. It isn't can you work or not. Most people can work in some form even if it is just one task they can do.
My ablity to work or whether or not I should be on SS is not the issue. I just want to know where to get some straight answers.

The answers you seek are within you. Okay, so I'm a jedi-geek, but it is true.
You have to stop looking to others (government) for answers. If you've made it this long, then you are a fighter, but maybe you have to be reminded of that.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There is a threshold in the amount of Medicare and Social Security that a working person has to pay in their lifetime.

I paid enough SS and Medicare out of my income that 14 years ago I fulfilled my obligation and only was required to pay Federal and State tax.

When I sold my business in 2007 I had to pay the IRS over $300.000.00 income tax on the proceeds of the sale of my property.

I worked many years after being diagnosed with severe depression. The depression never caused me to not be able to work.

I could have gotten disability many years ago due to a lung disease but didn't want anything from the government.

Last year when I was diagnosed with stage 4 renal failure I deceided I paid my complete obligation to the US government so I would apply for disability.

I applied and immediately was accepted after a doctors visit and breathing test.

No body is paying for my disability. I paid for it by paying into the plan for 50 years.

It's my money and I want it now.

Not being mean but in my opinion depression is not a reason for receiving a disability check.

What really chaps my ass are themen and women who receive disability and continue to make babies.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If I am under fluroscent lighting for more than 15 minutes I pass out so that rules out most companies.

It’s all in your head. IMO

It’s like those people who are afraid of elevators. Throw them in and lock the doors. They may faint a few times but they will get over it. The body won’t let it’s self die over a mental fear. And that’s what the lighting problem is ‘a fear’.

Get a job planting trees at a landscaping service. The hard work will wipe out the depression and anxiety.

I’m sorry if I sound harsh but get over it.

If the money stops and you get hungry enough you will push a broom in an office and like it. Lights be damned.

IMO

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Life is hard for some of us. Sounds like it's almost brutal for you.

I can understand why you are getting disability.

I have to have blood work and shots every week because the hormone the kidneys make that tells our bone marrow to produce red blood cells is no longer being made by my kidneys.
They are Procrit injections.

If it is not too personal may I ask what kind of injection you took for your depression? I am taking Prozac. A shot once a week would be better than pills everyday.

I pray for a miracle for you. Life is even more precious for those of us that are ill.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It amazes me that people who succeed in life feel it is necessary to attack those who don't or can't. Why would you be so angry and hateful to someone who is drawing disability. The fact is people on disability are poor and if they don't find it in themselves to overcome their disabilities will remain poor. Whether it be an injury, a disease, a mental disorder or simply a lack of drive. If you aren't faced with these obstacles and you make your own way in life, why attack these people? Why not vent your anger on the real villains in society, the ruling class who manipulate the system in ways that someone who can't get out of bed in the morning would never dream of doing. And by the way, before you people spout off about how the disabled are leaches living off the sweat of your hard work. Are you a true capitalist? Do you work day and night in a field producing things from the soil that others wish to have? Do you own or run a business, working 100 hour weeks and making sacrifices that most can't imagine? I doubt it. True capitalists are unconcerned with the status of others. True capitalists look at themselves and see what's wrong not what's right.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I agree you definitely deserve social security. Depression is not what I am on disablity for; it is one of the reasons. I have an inborn immune defiency that makes me get sick a lot easier than most people. I am allergic to everything from flurscent lighting,peanuts,perfume,cats,mold,dust,penicillan,sulphur meds, I am even allergic to whatever they put in epipens,banannas and flowers. I once had to go the hospital when my gf wore a certian perfume. I did not realize how allergic I was too expensive perfumes. She no longer wears perfume but body sprays. I am also allegric to most room deodorizers and many household chemicals. I have almost died from severe reactions to different things around me. This is why I have to be in an environment where I can control what is there. If I am at work I can't control who wears a certian perfume or brings in peanuts. I had an inhaler, but since I did not have asthma the Dr told me to stop using it. I get really bad chest pains because of weak lungs. I get out of breath easy but I am not complaining I do feel lucky but at the same time I am willing to save myself now so it does not get worse.
If I work at the rate I was I may have been dead by now. I saved my life by going on disability. I know it is not as bad as being in a wheelchair, having cancer or AIDS but it is still life threatening. In fact if I am around a cat I get short of breath within 10 seconds. I also use humidifers to keep my breathing better.
The in born immune defiancy has made get bronchitis 26 times, pneumoina 3 times, every type of flu imganible 5 times a year when I was a kid, ear infections over 100, bladder infections non stop and colds 80% of winter. I am ok with a cold though.
edit on 27-1-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Thank you for saying that. The shots I had were to boost my immune system. They contianed steriods. I no longer take them.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by choppedbrisket
It amazes me that people who succeed in life feel it is necessary to attack those who don't or can't. Why would you be so angry and hateful to someone who is drawing disability. The fact is people on disability are poor and if they don't find it in themselves to overcome their disabilities will remain poor. Whether it be an injury, a disease, a mental disorder or simply a lack of drive. If you aren't faced with these obstacles and you make your own way in life, why attack these people? Why not vent your anger on the real villains in society, the ruling class who manipulate the system in ways that someone who can't get out of bed in the morning would never dream of doing. And by the way, before you people spout off about how the disabled are leaches living off the sweat of your hard work. Are you a true capitalist? Do you work day and night in a field producing things from the soil that others wish to have? Do you own or run a business, working 100 hour weeks and making sacrifices that most can't imagine? I doubt it. True capitalists are unconcerned with the status of others. True capitalists look at themselves and see what's wrong not what's right.

But we've had stories here about people that did overcome disabilities.
I work hard, for my wife, for my sons. Everyone has it in themselves to fight and win against poverty, against disabilities. If you are fighting a "disability" then you've already shown yourself to be a fighter. Keep fighting.
Win.
Succeed.
It can happen.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree. This is why i am on disablity now because I am a fighter. After I worked for a company that fired me instead of calling 911 I knew I needed a better way of supporting myself. I have made it through rough times and I am doing good now. I just don't want to go back to having rough times.
Without health insurance and 60% of my income I would be wiped out. I would be back to the old days of fighting illness and getting fired. Did you know you can get fired for being sick at work? I once almost passed out in a hallway at work yet no one helped me. It was such a scary feeling. This was before cell phones.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
By the way I am working on a masters in psychology so I can teach online courses and hopefully fully support myself again someday. Once I make enough to support myself I will let the benefits and I hope they will be there in the future if I need them.
I wish our government would encourage education. Education helps people to think for themselves. I started my own life coaching business but due to lack of money for ads I did not get business. I have been very creative in finding ways of trying to get out of poverty. I have even baby sat to make some extra money. I have set up web sites and utlized the internet to think of ways to get out of poverty. The bottom line is creativity does not get you anywhere anymore. There are so many rules and regulations that it is hard to start your own business or make your own income independtly.
We are all dependent on a system in a way. People who work full time are dependent on that company to keep their job. No one is truly free.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I agree. This is why i am on disablity now because I am a fighter. After I worked for a company that fired me instead of calling 911 I knew I needed a better way of supporting myself. I have made it through rough times and I am doing good now. I just don't want to go back to having rough times.
Without health insurance and 60% of my income I would be wiped out. I would be back to the old days of fighting illness and getting fired. Did you know you can get fired for being sick at work? I once almost passed out in a hallway at work yet no one helped me. It was such a scary feeling. This was before cell phones.

You have to realize that you are already winning. You have issues. That's a given. But you wake up every day and do something. Well, my friend, time to do something more. Time to look towards getting off the government junkie and time to make a future for yourself without anyones help. The government wants you in stasis, they want you static. I want you to succeed. I want you to be rich, independent, and away from where you find yourself now. But you have to re-discover that inner strength, that strength that you already have, in order to make yourself independent.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

When I was a kid my dad fell off of a 15 foot ladder and broke both ankles. In a week he made me help peel his casts off with pliers, he laced his work boots up real tight and went to work. Ive never forgotten it.. even today I am amazed by that kind of work ethic. Later in life ( he owned several construction companies.. this from a rez born undereducated guy) a wall from a building he was demolishing fell on him and broke his back. It took several months and he had a morphine pump and braces on his legs.. but he showed up for work on site every day and put in full work days until he died.. on the job.

I swear to God its true.. its what makes me wonder why obese folks, lazy folks,ones who fake mental illness, and all of these other abuses perpetrated on the system deserve a check. Im not going to judge the OP here.. but one of the reasons we have such a mess with our SS system is gross abuse. I actually know of only one family myself.. but hear plenty... where the mom works a PT job, 2 of the kids have some sort of BS diagnosis and get checks and the dad had a heart attack 15 years ago, gets a check and still manages to mow the lawn, ride his ATV, and everything else a healthy person can do BUT work.

IMO In order to save the SS ssytem for the deserving and elderly we need to stop being PC and cut the fat concerning the abuses and abusers. That or end it an dmake something new that is ONLY for very specific ailments and age related care.. and is very regulated.. or we will be in this shape again. If the lazy entitlement crowd can find ways to exploit anything and ruin it.. we need to put things in place thta can do as much as possible to prevent it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I really don't want to be rich. I want to be sucessful as well. I am not sure how to when I have tried creating my own businesses and finding a job that pays more. Time will tell I will keep trying.
I really want to know what will happen though in the mean time to social security.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join