It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Social Security the next thing to be cut or taken away?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Well.. reading you make excuses as to why you deserve payment from the Government, I have myself developed an anxiety as to what my tax dollars pays for.. and a depression knowing where this country is headed, and it's made me quite ill..

So I'm going to sign up for SS .. I hope to get a check by next month, I'll tell you how that's going.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Boy talk about unbelievable.... The republicans want to do away with social security so what do they do at election time? They talk about such things as "return to contitution", "free markets" "christian values" etc etc etc and how terrible the liberals are. Then after they get elected those things are not heard any more. Instead we hear about "austerity" which is code for "paying for the war" and social security has to be zapped because it's like welfare (which it is not).

What I want to know is simply how can any sane middle or lower class American even consider voting republican when they have to know that their potential life line to a secure retirement is what they are voting against. This is most amazing. If it wasn't happening I wouldn't believe it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

that is off topic really no need to trash me. I am not on it solely for depression please re-read.
I have almost died three times in my life due to my in born immune defiency that causes me to be allergic to a lot of things and senstive to many chemicals.

I bet you would have been a Hitler supporter. Let's blame one group of people or a few small groups of people for all our problems and get rid of them?
JUst quite with a pointless arguement!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

I don't know who to vote for anymore. Republican and democrat seem to overlap for me. They both lie, manipulate and try to take more and more away from the weakest and poorest.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by samhouston1886

well said I was getting fed up with that posters negativity.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

How? .. Because Liberals take our money and spend it on services the middle class does use, never sees, and doesn't benefit.

Social Security? Assuming I even get a check when I retire, which I doubt I will, it is nothing near what I would need to live my quality of life.

For the vast majority of middle class Americans, moving to depend on SS would equate to a huge drop in standard of living. SS also doesn't keep pace with Real Inflation, so we'd get poorer and poorer every year.

The reason for this is mostly because the Fed cannot finance it at current tax levels, it would have to triple to provide a live-able pension to an ever increasing, and longer living, old population. Then we have parasites like the OP who suck off the teets of the state just because they believe in entitlement.

I should have the right to direct my own retirement account.. if I have to pay into SS .. it should be into MY account, I should not have a single penny paying for the likes of the OP. Whatever you pay into it, over your entire life, invested however you wish, should be your retirement pension, paid out like an annuity.

I have less of a problem with Medicare and Medicaid (even though they are incredibly corrupted) than I do with SS .. I can understand a right health and to feed children, I cannot fathom a justification that someone has a right to retirement state funded.

Maybe if Liberals were better at managing their checkbook, their programs would work, and us Fiscal Conservatives would vote for them.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Old teabaggers are all about cutting the budget--let's get rid of the Department of Education! Arts endowments! Federal college financial aid! (because after all--smarter Americans won't let our country compete in the global marketplace at all).

They want to take away funding from roads, libraries, trash collection---but come after their Medicare and Social Security and we'll hear the screams about how "WE DESERVE THAT!". Nope, you don't. When you signed onto the "Tea Party Express" you signed onto deep cuts into federal government spending. Social Security and Medicare (you know--government run health insurance--the horror) are two of the biggest fed expenditures after defense. And of course, the conservatives don't want us touching the DEFENSE budget, because after all, if we cut the defense budget, we might have to consolidate our military a bit, and we might start losing vials of VX Nerve Gas...oh wait. (it's a joke)

While I'm dramatically against cutting SS and Medicare, I voted for the politicians who were least likely to cut it--you know, the ones who generally support social services--Democrats. But when they cut Grandma's SS check in half next year because of conservative legislation and she has to go back to work at 76 to pay the bills--don't you dare complain because YOU brought this on yourself.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by samhouston1886

well said I was getting fed up with that posters negativity.

Sorry.. I forgot your .. erm.. sensitivity .... I won't address you anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05

While I'm dramatically against cutting SS and Medicare, I voted for the politicians who were least likely to cut it--you know, the ones who generally support social services--Democrats. But when they cut Grandma's SS check in half next year because of conservative legislation and she has to go back to work at 76 to pay the bills--don't you dare complain because YOU brought this on yourself.

People don't realize there is a cost to EVERYTHING we do. If we cut social security then people who are entirely dependent on it have to go back to work-taking jobs from the young. There is also the possibility that those who can't work will end up destitute. They will be on the streets, in the shelters or worse starving in the cold in their paid for houses. Those who can live with their families might be well off, but others will find the addition too hard to maintain. You may even see crime increase.

There is a middle ground here, it's just not one wants to find it. They'd rather have all or nothing.
edit on 27-1-2011 by antonia because: RAWR again

edit on 27-1-2011 by antonia because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2011 by antonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well if you pay into privately you would have to put a lot more back. I only get $695 per month. I lived paycheck to paycheck. It is not right to live in poverty for anyone I do agree on that point but to imply that people should not even have the right to get something back is wrong.
If I had to pay privately I would run out of money quickly and get less per month. This is not a standard of living. How would that work? I agree some rules need to be changed but not privatized or cut entirely.
You should be glad that I do get my SS check I am very intelligent good person. I have a good repuation here at ATS and I am not someone to say nasty comments about.
I am someone who actually tries to make her society better. I wish more people were like me. If there were more people like me boy what a world we would create. We would not be fighting right now.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

you are right there is a cost to everything that we do. That is why in 2012 I only hope for a small increase maye 2-5% that would help me dramtically how would that harm anyone else.
If people paid 1-2% more in SS that would be millions back into the SS trust fund.They could also reduce the income tax by 1-2% so people can have social security. What they need to do is pass a law that the SS trust fund can only be used for SS benfits. There is too be no borrowing or taking from period.Privatizing social security is not the answer either because that would only work if each person pays a much higher ss tax. It would have to be 50%-100% of a persons income so they could live. (depending on how much a person makes.)
What about the war in afghanistan and Iraq. We could save a lot of money and lives by withdrawing. It is more of an oil based war as opposed to "terror". Terrorism can come from any country really.
edit on 27-1-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Wow someone wants to cut student federal aid and department of education funding. That truly is deplorable. People need education to figure out how to think critically and solve problems. I think we need to scale back on defence.
SS and medicare really should be considered seperate from all the other allotments.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Wow someone wants to cut student federal aid and department of education funding. That truly is deplorable. People need education to figure out how to think critically and solve problems. I think we need to scale back on defence.
SS and medicare really should be considered seperate from all the other allotments.

The problem with cutting back on war is we are dependent on it now. That is why we start all these stupid #ing wars; so many people are dependent on it to make money. The soldiers, the people who make weapons, people who send them food, and of course all the politicians who get a 'little' extra kickback. Imagine we do quit and send home a million troops with nothing to do, and the weapon factory's closing down.. what would happen?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I'm inclined to agree with you. SS and Medicare are nessesscities for people who are older. We need to treat our elders well for the fact that they paid into this system their entire lives.

As for student aid and education funding---unfortunatley the far-right in this country does not care much for what education does for people---of course that varies between different people but as a whole the right wing is always whining about "academia" how colleges are the land of liberals--etc. So of course they wouldn't want more people going to college--as stupid as that may sound.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower

The problem with cutting back on war is we are dependent on it now. That is why we start all these stupid #ing wars; so many people are dependent on it to make money. The soldiers, the people who make weapons, people who send them food, and of course all the politicians who get a 'little' extra kickback. Imagine we do quit and send home a million troops with nothing to do, and the weapon factory's closing down.. what would happen?

Here's what could happen:

Let's cut the defense budget by 30% and give all the veterans who are no longer needed jobs creating infastructure in the public sector using some of the money we're saving on blowing up brown people in the middle east in this century's version of the Crusades. Let's put them to work building roads--bridges--rail--new airports--new infrastructure that people in this country need. It creates jobs--saves money--and then puts the money back into the tax system. Everyone wins.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

We already have many jobs outsourced and not enough to go around. They have taken away our american dream because it is so hard now to qualify to buy a house. Now all this talk of Social Security going broke. Both sides are talking about cuts to social security and what to do to fix this problem.
I live on Social Security Disablity and it is 60% of my income. I work a part time job to make up the difference. The problem is if I make too much money then they reduce my benefits. I worked for 20 years and paid into this system so I feel fine with depending on this money. Most jobs do not offer health care and many are not flexible enough to understand a disablity.
Without this money I will not live. My grandfather is 82 and he also relies on social security; it is about 50% of his income. It seems they are attacking those who live on social security. It seems I can't get any straight answers. The government talks so generally about social security I almost wonder if they are planning something under the table.
Any thoughts? 50 million people live on social security to cut it 100% without putting something in place would be mass murder!

Social security is funded completely by treasury bonds. So yes, it already has been cut.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Wow someone wants to cut student federal aid and department of education funding. That truly is deplorable. People need education to figure out how to think critically and solve problems.

Education does not teach critical thinking. And the Department of Education is a mess of epic proportions. School systems around the country would be far better off without that federal behemoth breathing down their necks all the time. Just as they were before it was created, you know, when the US was Number one in educational rankings world wide, and now were barley holding on to an average score.

Student loans actually increase the cost of education over time.
edit on 27-1-2011 by aravoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

reply to post by snowman9364

I only get $695 a month. It is not enough to live on. That is not even minuim wage. I have to work regardless. I work from home answering phones. There are rules set out by social security and I go by those. I am doing nothing wrong by collecting my benefits are working.

The way it works is for every $2 you make the drop $1 from your SSI check. If you do the math you will do a little beter than break even. Ok here goes.
SSI=$700 per month
Extra income=$300 per month
$300/2=$150 dropped from SSI check
SSI $700 - $150 dropped= $550 for updated SSI check
Updated SSI check =$550 plus the $300 from the extra income =$850 total
You made $300 extra but in the end out came out ahead by $150.

How do I know this? I have more than a few old friends that collect SSI and still have to work

edit on 1/27/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Old teabaggers are all about cutting the budget--let's get rid of the Department of Education! Arts endowments! Federal college financial aid! (because after all--smarter Americans won't let our country compete in the global marketplace at all.........

OUTSTANDING!

I bet you even money that when our seniors are dying from lack of food that the teabaggers will say it was for the good of the country, they are SICK.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Old teabaggers are all about cutting the budget--let's get rid of the Department of Education! Arts endowments! Federal college financial aid! (because after all--smarter Americans won't let our country compete in the global marketplace at all).

They want to take away funding from roads, libraries, trash collection---but come after their Medicare and Social Security and we'll hear the screams about how "WE DESERVE THAT!". Nope, you don't. When you signed onto the "Tea Party Express" you signed onto deep cuts into federal government spending. Social Security and Medicare (you know--government run health insurance--the horror) are two of the biggest fed expenditures after defense. And of course, the conservatives don't want us touching the DEFENSE budget, because after all, if we cut the defense budget, we might have to consolidate our military a bit, and we might start losing vials of VX Nerve Gas...oh wait. (it's a joke)

Actually most Tea Partiers I know want to cut defense drastically, and end the overseas empire. They also want to abolish Medicare and Social Security. Don't assume you know anything about the intentions of other people because you saw a sign post held by an idiot on MSNBC. Michelle Bachman, Sarah Palin, and others don't speak for anyone but themselves.

It's funny though, all those services you just described are all over budget, inefficient, and ran buy bloated bureaucracies. Yeah, lets keep funding that load of BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join