It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Social Security the next thing to be cut or taken away?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
We already have many jobs outsourced and not enough to go around. They have taken away our american dream because it is so hard now to qualify to buy a house. Now all this talk of Social Security going broke. Both sides are talking about cuts to social security and what to do to fix this problem.
I live on Social Security Disablity and it is 60% of my income. I work a part time job to make up the difference. The problem is if I make too much money then they reduce my benefits. I worked for 20 years and paid into this system so I feel fine with depending on this money. Most jobs do not offer health care and many are not flexible enough to understand a disablity.
Without this money I will not live. My grandfather is 82 and he also relies on social security; it is about 50% of his income. It seems they are attacking those who live on social security. It seems I can't get any straight answers. The government talks so generally about social security I almost wonder if they are planning something under the table.
Any thoughts? 50 million people live on social security to cut it 100% without putting something in place would be mass murder!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

If you have any web sites to support your theories please provide them as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
NO we still have to give our social security to the third world yet!!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You're telling me Social Security ins't a myth..?

Wow - I always figured it was just an old folk-lore passed down through the generations...

edit on 27-1-2011 by facelift because: grammar

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Social Security has alread been taken away and cut. I signed up to retire at 55, but I know it will be 75 by the time I am allowed to retire. By then my SS income won't even buy a taco a day.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I can only hope so.. id certainly like my $5k I paid into it last year back.. id direct it into my own retirement investments and be far more secure in my own retirement.

People survived before ss was around, they'd suck it up and get along just fine without it in
the future.

And please note this OP since I sound all mean and uncaring about your "disability" ..

You type just fine. There are many jobs where you sit and type. Or talk on the phone and type. Even jobs where your on the phone, type, and type on ats (like what I'm doing at this ver min) I even have 2 guys in my office wheel chair bound.

Can't leave the house? There are jobs from home in customer service, medical coding, etc, etc..

Get over it. Get a job. Damn, I still sound mean and uncaring...
edit on 1/27/2011 by Rockpuck because: blah blah blah

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I am talking about for current beneficeries. At least you have time to plan and figure something out. I talked to a representative at my congress person's office. He said that they are "talking" about reducing benefits but for whom. I live on $900 per month. My benefits total $695. If I have any less money I will have to cut out my phone or internet. I need both I work from home and take online courses. I need to know so I can start looking for jobs that pay cash.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
People survived before ss was around, they'd suck it up and get along just fine without it in the future.

a lot of elderly in japan commit suicide because they dont have a source of income and only take away from their family. i wouldn't be surprised if taking away social security in america would have a similar effect.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I can't just suck it up when there are not enough jobs to go around. I have 3 different disablities. I have anxieties, depression and an immune system disorder that I was born with that makes me allegric to almost everything including fluroscent lighting. I get sicker easier, I can't stand on my feet for more than 2 hours or I get real faint. I get dizzy spells om a daily basis. I am lacking a certian antibody in my blood. I used to take shots for this. I am not sure exactly what I was called because Drs always just said in born immune defiency.
I am expecting a rasie in the cola next year of at least 1%.
The solution would be for them to stop borrowing or taking from social security funds. They need put back all the money. They also need to revise the rules allowing people to work and not lose benefits. If they could up the the Social security tax to 10% on all people who make over the poverty level that could help as well if social security really is so insolvent.
I wish I had some real answers, not even the government knows. I need to know what is going to be cut, when and how will they allow us to make up the difference.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

If they took away social security there would definitley be a lot of suicides, homeless, starving and illness. 50 million people would be left to fend for themselves. From the governments veiw that could be one way to reduce the population. I doubt 50 million people would just allow that to happen then again millions of Jews williningly went to the concentration camps. I guess they are finding more clever ways of murdering people. I hope I am so wrong!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I knew for some reason I was not wrong to put "disabilities" in quotations.

Being an anxious, sad, sickly individual does not mean you deserve a life of retirement living off the wages of everyone else. A leech on the system, its people like you who take money from the elderly, who the system is for.

Get an at home job, you obviously have not even tried to look.. unless being sad prevents you from typing? Ohhhh wait... you're typing now..

Depression = disabled.. what a crock of *SNIP*

AND HAVE THE NERVE TO ASK HARD WORKING PEOPLE TO PAY 10% MORE IN TAXES, WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?
edit on 1/27/2011 by Rockpuck because: i needed to rant at the leecher a lil more

edit on Thu Jan 27 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I have a JOB! I do work from home! Please read all of my posts. I can't make more than so much or my benefits are greatly reduced. There are not a lot of jobs to work from home. Please provide links of all the jobs I can from home. You do sound mean and uncaring. I had to get on disablity because of my health.
If I am under fluroscent lighting for more than 15 minutes I pass out so that rules out most companies. I have days were I am too weak to do much. I try my best and I push myself a lot harder than what the Dr reccomends. The Dr keeps telling me to reduce my stress. I don't get sick very often because I aviod certian situations where it could make me sick. I want to live to old age and if I don't listen to the DR I may only live 10 more.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
SS was introduced messed up.. IMO when it was "law", it should have been privatized. now that government tapping, so called "disabled" collectors working part time,(if your disabled, how are you able to work) and other illegitimate collectors, draining SS of its funds, all the rest of us deserving are not gonna be able to collect our supposed "mandatory government retirement" that our government promised it would always be there!!! BS... the treasury dept and affiliated government officials better well fix this issue, or i see some major "protests" coming 4th...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

I can't just suck it up when there are not enough jobs to go around. I have 3 different disablities. I have anxieties, depression and an immune system disorder that I was born with that makes me allegric to almost everything including fluroscent lighting. I get sicker easier, I can't stand on my feet for more than 2 hours or I get real faint. I get dizzy spells om a daily basis. I am lacking a certian antibody in my blood. I used to take shots for this. I am not sure exactly what I was called because Drs always just said in born immune defiency.
I am expecting a rasie in the cola next year of at least 1%.
The solution would be for them to stop borrowing or taking from social security funds. They need put back all the money. They also need to revise the rules allowing people to work and not lose benefits. If they could up the the Social security tax to 10% on all people who make over the poverty level that could help as well if social security really is so insolvent.

all those medical disabilitlies and you still able to work for almost half of your income??? im amazed... get a second job... stop sucking SS...
I wish I had some real answers, not even the government knows. I need to know what is going to be cut, when and how will they allow us to make up the difference.

edit on Thu Jan 27 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed quote tags

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

edit on Thu Jan 27 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I am actually a very happy indivual and not very sickly because I listen to the Dr for the most part. I take her advice which is to aviod crowds, too much flurscent lighting and to not be on my feet for more than 2 hours. I am depressed but that is not the main problem.
I had to go to Drs to get disablity. I went through evualations and tests. Before disablity I worked 50 hours a week. I was too tired for anything. I was sick a lot more and went home early at times. What is your problem? I paid into SS and worked outside my home since I was 15! This is not about me but about the system. I am an example of why SS can't be cut or reduced.
It is people like you who buy into the BS that the government is hoping for so they can justify mass murder. Even if it does not kill me right away 10-20 years will be shaved off my life.
I enjoy my life, I take online courses, have a gf, apartment and a car. I have friends, I am an organizer of a woman's group that comes to my house 2 times a month. I have lots of family so your judgements are wrong. Why is ther always those mean people who try to ruin a thread. SHESH!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by snowman9364

I only get $695 a month. It is not enough to live on. That is not even minuim wage. I have to work regardless. I work from home answering phones. There are rules set out by social security and I go by those. I am doing nothing wrong by collecting my benefits are working.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

They won't cut it with nothing in it's place. But they are going to reform it and it's not going to be as generous. It is going to hurt people who are too old to make other plans for retirement and who counted on it.

With Obamacare, nothing they do to "balance the budget" with regards to Social Security and Medicare will begin to touch the deficits we will be seeing forevermore. They cooked the books to make Obamacare look less costly than it will be in order to get it through Congress.

So, given that, I don't see the logic in cutting a "retirement benefit" workers and their employers paid for their whole working lives in the name of "balancing the budget" is a total sham.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Sounds rough.
Me? I lost much of my left leg to a bad parachute jump. (actually, the jump was great, the landing stank!)
When I was offered disability from uncle sam, the state, stickers, license plates, yaddayaddayadda

I turned them all down. When I could walk again, I started working again.

I guess much is based on what ails you and what your attitude is. I've never collected a penny in disability/social security but I never will either. I work hard, buy gold/silver for my retirement.

I could NOT consider myself disabled if I could wake up every morning, hug my wife and kids, and do SOMETHING.

Maybe they need to change meds, look online for herbal cures, there is a world out there, just waiting for you to be the captain of your own destiny.
Invent something.
Create something.

You can do it. I'll even say a prayer for you tonight. But try to get off being dependent on a government that cares not one bit for you, other than keeping you where you are.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

And the elite would be pleased as punch if they caused Americans who are not economic producing units to kill themselves.

Everyone should remember this when considering the future of Obamacare. "Free health care" will kill many innocent people and it will be brutal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join