It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
Those "hard angles" prove only one thing.......that the Java Applet at the JPL website is useless for accurate study of comet orbits. No natural object in orbit around anything turns sharp corners as it moves.

Exactly. Which is why people using the applet for finding "alignments" is so ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor

Those "hard angles" prove only one thing.......that the Java Applet at the JPL website is useless for accurate study of comet orbits. No natural object in orbit around anything turns sharp corners as it moves.

Exactly. Which is why people using the applet for finding "alignments" is so ridiculous.

It probably is ridiculous to use the system to find alignments, and yet it is updated with known coordinates, so a general alignment seems still possible to me. IF not, why the JPL similator at all?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To be honest, I am extremely puzzled about those "hard angles" shown in the Java Applet, but not in the way that some of you might think. I am just baffled as to why the guys at JPL would accept such a poor representation of an orbit on their site. It looks like someone has input time steps that are too large for objects that are moving quickly when close to the Sun, but the software should still be able to extrapolate from that to draw a smooth curve!
edit on 28-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

To be honest, I am extremely puzzled about those "hard angles" shown in the Java Applet, but not in the way that some of you might think. I am just baffled as to why the guys at JPL would accept such a poor representation of an orbit on their site. It looks like someone has input time steps that are too large for objects that are moving quickly when close to the Sun, but the software should still be able to extrapolate from that to draw a smooth curve!
edit on 28-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

My guess is the orbit is sliced up into a set number of points. For a relatively close, elliptical orbit, there are enough slices to give a decent representation of the curve. But with hyperbolic orbits, the slices are distributed over a much longer path, and there aren't enough of them to give a good representation of the curve. There probably aren't enough hyperbolic objects to worry about this, and you still get a decent representation of the orbit. It's not like people should be using these illustrations to do calculations, anyway.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by freestonew
www.nytimes.com...

Ancient Crash, Epic Wave

..........On close inspection, the chevron deposits contain deep ocean microfossils that are fused with a medley of metals typically formed by cosmic impacts. And all of them point in the same direction — toward the middle of the Indian Ocean where a newly discovered crater, 18 miles in diameter, lies 12,500 feet below the surface.

The explanation is obvious to some scientists. A large asteroid or comet, the kind that could kill a quarter of the world’s population, smashed into the Indian Ocean 4,800 years ago, producing a tsunami at least 600 feet high, about 13 times as big as the one that inundated Indonesia nearly two years ago. The wave carried the huge deposits of sediment to land. ........

to me, it is becoming ever the more possible that the earth sits in a "bowling alley" right down there next to the pins! That either the ocean or eroding land removes most large craters over time.
But I see that these Events come often. maybe not in my or your lifetime, but "sometime".

"once per 1000 years" means you are safe. But some people DO win the lottery, the Number 1000 could happen in your life time.

at least the show will be wonderful to see, just before the quake/wind-shockwave/tidal wave takes you out!

freestone

I have always wondered what caused that big gravity anomaly under the Indian Continent! .. Now I can at least conjecture that it may be that large asteroid. If it were just the hole it left then Chixalub would also register an anomaly ... but no anomaly.

This colourful new map traces the subtle but all pervasive influence the pull of gravity has across the globe. Known as a geoid, it essentially defines where the level surface is on our planet; it tells us which way is "up" and which way is "down". It is drawn from delicate measurements made by Europe's Goce satellite, which flies so low it comes perilously close to falling out of the sky.

Large gravity anomaly:

I have not read all the thread, but I believe the video by Terral03 was quite to the point; and he is an astronomer himself. (first in the list)

NIN is supposedly the name of the mother of Gilgamesh. But I have not confirmed this yet.

One other thing .. the Brown Dwarf / Comet is going to pack a large charge, and if it tips the Earth because of the magnetic repulsion .. won't it cause tidal waves as the water adjusts?

Terral03 mentions Gravity Troughs .. A video I just watched compared this to a runner tripping on a cable! Which would also toss our oceans about.

We are going to get the "broadcast" .. but I suspect they will not want to power down all the nuclear facilities and slap storage protection over spent fuel .. until this is over .... as a common sense safety protocol? I think they should!! ... Really!!

Making survival kit, buying blankets and serno. If it is needed, OK, if not, we will have chaffing dish dinners for a few months!
edit on 29-6-2011 by Serendipity7 because: typo

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Serendipity7

I have not read to the end of the thread, but I have some good You Tube video links on ELE-NIN (one is an astronomer) to give you. NIN is supposedly the name of the mother of Gilgamesh. But I have not confirmed this yet.

No astronomer would be feeble minded enough to refer to comet C/2010 X-1 as ELE-NIN. Gilgamesh rebuilt the temple on Ninlil.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Gerizo

Funny, because people make up new B.S. everyday too. You should please go back and re-read your history. It appears sir that your claim itself has been debunked...

Our knowledge of Sumerian astronomy is indirect, via the earliest Babylonian star catalogues dating from about 1200 BCE....

During the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, Babylonian astronomers developed a new empirical approach to astronomy. They began studying philosophy dealing with the ideal nature of the universe and began employing an internal logic within their predictive planetary systems. This was an important contribution to astronomy and the philosophy of science, and some scholars have thus referred to this new approach as the first scientific revolution

Your own source.

There are no extant Sumerian astronomical works. Not one. The only reason we know they even looked at the sky is because they had names for a few constellations and some of the planets, which were passed on to the Akkadians as cuneiform glyphs. They did count in base twelve, which I assume means you think they had six fingers on each hand, proving they are aliens.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

"Sumer (or Šumer) was one of the early civilizations of the Ancient Near East, located in the southern part of Mesopotamia (southeastern Iraq) from the time of the earliest records in the mid-fourth millennium B.C.E. until the rise of Babylonia in the late third millennium B.C.E."
www.newworldencyclopedia.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gerizo

No existent Sumerian astronomical works huh...
Sure about that? www.reality-choice.org...
To me it sure does look like they chiseled something in the heavens...

The Sumerians did not count in base 12 , their numeric system is/was both decimal (base-10) and sexagesimal (base-60). Never mentioned aliens buddy, not sure were you are going with that.

Ah yes. The twelfth planet. There's a problem with that.

When Sitchin wrote his book (based on that seal) there were nine known planets (Pluto had not been demoted yet). So, counting the Sun and the Moon (I wonder why Ganymede didn't count as a planet if the Moon did), there were 11. And Nibiru makes 12.

But what about Eris, Sedna and Quaoar. They are comparable to Pluto, why leave them out? Shouldn't Nibiru be the 15th "planet"?

edit on 6/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by Gerizo

No existent Sumerian astronomical works huh...
Sure about that? www.reality-choice.org...
To me it sure does look like they chiseled something in the heavens...

The Sumerians did not count in base 12 , their numeric system is/was both decimal (base-10) and sexagesimal (base-60). Never mentioned aliens buddy, not sure were you are going with that.

Ah yes. The twelfth planet. There's a problem with that.

When Sitchin wrote his book (based on that seal) there were nine known planets (Pluto had not been demoted yet). So, counting the Sun and the Moon (I wonder why Ganymede didn't count as a planet if the Moon did), there were 11. And Nibiru makes 12.

But what about Eris, Sedna and Quaoar. They are comparable to Pluto, why leave them out? Shouldn't Nibiru be the 15th "planet"?

Phage, why did you switch the conversation to "the twelve planet"? Sitchin yes is one of a few people that studied the Sumerians. I only used that link to show that the Sumerians did indeed have astronomical knowledge. The Sumerians even knew that Saturn had rings and the true color of Uranus before Voyager 2 did in 1986. Not sure why they were left out.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gerizo

I included Sitchin because it is his interpretation of the seal which claims that it represents the Sun and planets (12 of them).

Please show evidence that the Sumerians knew of Saturn's rings or the color (or existence of) Uranus.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gerizo

"Sumer (or Šumer) was one of the early civilizations of the Ancient Near East, located in the southern part of Mesopotamia (southeastern Iraq) from the time of the earliest records in the mid-fourth millennium B.C.E. until the rise of Babylonia in the late third millennium B.C.E."
www.newworldencyclopedia.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Sharing another video I found today.

It points out a few connections to defense companies working directly with Nasa. Also points out that they are using stereo B to track Elenin. So Elenin is something they are watching directly.

Sorry don't have time to pick the video apart, but looked interesting.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

It points out a few connections to defense companies working directly with Nasa. Also points out that they are using stereo B to track Elenin. So Elenin is something they are watching directly.

I am shocked, shocked to find out that NASA buys rockets and satellites from the same people who build them for the military!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebeaa7a54009.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the part relevant to this thread:

Upcoming events:

2011:

* Jul 31 - Aug 12 Behind: Spacecraft rolls to observe comet Elenin

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Leonid will be delighted. Here is what he said back in March:

As I wrote earlier, comet C/2010 X1, near perihelion, will be easily visible in images of the space coronagraph SOHO. As Karl Battams of the Naval Research Laboratory told me, they plan to conduct special observations with 4 different filters. In addition, they are evaluating the technical possibility of pointing the spacecraft STEREO-B toward the comet at the time of its close encounter at the end of July-beginning of August. Closest approach will be July 31st at 13:00 UT. The distance between the objects will be only 7.4 million km (0.04956 a.u.)

spaceobs.org...

NASA is not yet "watching it directly." They are going to use a window of opportunity in August to make detailed observations of a typical comet.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Ok already, geez, I didn't say it was earth shattering, just interesting. Thanks though, you've shown that this it not new news.

Do you know if they are dedicating 2 hours a day for any length of time to any other NEOs?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Another interesting tidbit to share.

www.science20.com...

Like this comment from an astronomer on the stereo mission:

A temporary project with STEREO is being considered-- near-Earth asteroid spotting. A New Scientist article discusses us briefly repurposing our STEREO satellites to hunt for potential Earth-killers. STEREO is passing through the L4/L5 Lagrangian points, where the Earth and Sun gravitational pull cancel each other. There may be a few stuck asteroids there that, if dislodged by random planetary gravity nudges, could threaten the Earth.

Since STEREO is passing through anyway, we're looking at rolling the instruments to better spot potential Earth-killers. And least I be charged with over-hyping this, I cite this entertaining quote by a Princeton researcher, Richard Gott. "If we see a big asteroid there, it might be worth taking it out pre-emptively," says Gott, "and by that I mean blowing it to pieces."

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Serendipity7

I am probably so going to regret doing this but I like to hear all sides of a story!

(BTW to learn how to link YT videos (it is the 'VID:YOUTUBE' button when posting), read this: Above Top Secret BB Codes. It may not be 100% up to date but it is close enough.)

I will leave you to do the rest!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I have never seen sharp angles like that in the simulation, but of course it is just that, a simulation! As nataylor pointed out hyperbolic comets all display this odd irregularity - this is what makes them so hard to see as they change angles rapidly (
)

I am really looking forward to getting a peek at Elenin via Stereo B. Do you think we will be able to see the fleet of alien spacecraft in the coma

Sorry, one of those days!!

ETA: I knew there was something else I wanted to say:

A temporary project with STEREO is being considered-- near-Earth asteroid spotting. A New Scientist article discusses us briefly repurposing our STEREO satellites to hunt for potential Earth-killers. STEREO is passing through the L4/L5 Lagrangian points, where the Earth and Sun gravitational pull cancel each other. There may be a few stuck asteroids there that, if dislodged by random planetary gravity nudges, could threaten the Earth.

This intrigues me. If asteroids may be stuck there how can a satellite fly through it and not risk getting stuck? Velocities? I don't know. Perhaps one of our resident astronomers would be able to explain this please?

edit on 1/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
This intrigues me. If asteroids may be stuck there how can a satellite fly through it and not risk getting stuck? Velocities? I don't know. Perhaps one of our resident astronomers would be able to explain this please?

There's always a risk of running into something you didn't know was there, but it's generally smaller than the risks associated with the launch itself. Unmanned satellites also tend to be hardier than a manned spacecraft; I believe it was the Giotto probe that was literally knocked around by a meteoroid in a comet's tail. It literally sent the probe into a spin, but the probe actually recovered and kept on with its mission. Probes and satellites are very small targets with very low gravity, so generally the risk is quite small. For the Lagrange points, asteroids there would "orbit" the Lagrange point itself. As long as those orbits don't intersect there would be no real risk of collision.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Late night Puterman? Being a bit of a stinker there. I did acknowledge the reasoning given for the angles in the simulator already.

Still find the science20 article words intriguing. When astronomers use words like "earth killers" I listen. Not sure if ngchunter answered your question thoroughly, it was a good question. He talked about our satellites and the probability of getting struck by asteroids, but your question was about our satellites getting sucked into unplanned gravitational orbits. Maybe he will elaborate more on this later.

edit on 1-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

The asteroids are "stuck" there because the force of gravity from the sun and Earth cancel each other out. An asteroid at that location has no reason to move, because there is no net force acting on it (basic physics: an object at rest tends to stay at rest, unless acted upon by a force). A satellite just passing through it won't get "stuck," because it it has motion relative to the point in space. Since there is no net gravitational force at the point, there's nothing acting on the satellite to slow it down and keep it there (basic physics: an object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted upon by a force).

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join