It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
i wanna know more about the oort cloud. when will we pass through it? and what effects will it have? is there any conclusive evidence of something being in there that we should be worried about? what's the likely hood of our system being binary?

also, will elenin bombard our planet with things that are follow it?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by gam3pr0
when will we pass through it?

Never, it surrounds us and moves with us, we never cross through it.

and what effects will it have?

It generates the comets that we occasionally have fly through the inner solar system, outside of that, none.

is there any conclusive evidence of something being in there that we should be worried about?

None that have been found as of yet, however, there is always the possibility of a long period comet coming from the oort cloud being on a collision course with the earth.

what's the likely hood of our system being binary?

None that they can prove so far, but there is some compelling evidence that there might be something out there, which is why they keep searching.

also, will elenin bombard our planet with things that are follow it?

Elenin’s tail might make for a nice meteor shower, however there is no telling if there is anything larger being pulled along in its wake, and if so whether it will collide with us.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The "wake" of a comet is being pushed from the comet, it doesn't "pull" anything.

A larger object, co-orbital with the comet, would be just as detectable as Elenin itself.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Indeed, the hill sphere radius of even a mid-sized asteroid is quite small within the inner solar system. Asteroids are much denser than comets, but even asteroids have a tough time keeping satellites. It can happen on occasion, but when it does the asteroid's satellite necessarily has a small orbital radius. If comet elenin had its own natural satellite or even multiple natural satellites they would necessarily be located close to the physical nucleus and thus pose no threat of impact.
edit on 22-6-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
so what's the fus about this comet... i see from the OP that its gone from like 8 AU to like a couple decimals? does that mean there's something we can't see/detect affecting it as elenin gets closer to it "slinging" it closer to us?

also what evidence is there of us being binary? someone said "and that's why we keep looking" what is the evidence or w/e that keeps us looking... don't hand me curiosity b/c if that's the case don't even answer this part, lol. I wanna know what sparks curiosity.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I would certainly agree that those that come to a forum and blurt bla bla of which
is completely baseless should be held accountable.
However,. this IS a conspiracy site,..
therefor things like UFOs can be discussed without any hard evidence and be protected by
the simplest of believers and maintain its strength by belief alone.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
So conspiracy theorist's need no basis of proof, just a mention of imagination. OK, sounds real productive. A great way to spend time outside of employment.

The real mystery to me is how all these crackpots afford high speed internet connection, if in fact the do pay for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

This is why I bring up the UFO forum,. Often not a shred of proof but yet they still get to bring
topics to the table.
This comet thing has been fun,. though like nearly everything that comes to this site,. it becomes nothing,.
Yet the information that comes about and news of space weather, comets and asteroids is very educating.
So,. with the crap that is often spewed from the mouths of the mindless brings forth valuable information
to many that otherwise would never have a clue.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I look at it this way. Be willing to present anything and everything. Save that which you hold dear.
Unless you are rock ? Confident in what you cherish ? Then you won't be worried to through that on the table as well. Everything else I bring to the table just to see what will happen? There's no law that says you have to married to the Annanaki to bring something you are curious about involving Nibiru. Or some hollywood factoid seeming to be steeped in Iluminati numerology about ELE- NINE. Will it reek havoc on Earth on 9/11/11 ?
Many times I've been able to say, " I knew I didn't have all the info, just check'in, thanks ". or, " just wanted to toss that out there ". It's mostly about learning for me .
edit on 22-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The "wake" of a comet is being pushed from the comet, it doesn't "pull" anything.

You are correct. Perhaps a poor choice of wording on my part, and maybe “Traveling” would be a better term. Such as an object that was ejected during venting, then continues parallel with the comet having the same general direction and inertia, altered only by the forces acted upon it during its venting from the main body, or perhaps another NEO that was perturbed by the body as they crossed paths.

Please don’t sit there and tell me that comets do not leave debris trails with potentially hazardous material within them. Those larger chunks of debris are what cause the bolids that increase in frequency when we have meteor showers. The Meteor showers themselves are of course, caused by us passing through a comets debris trail.

Originally posted by Phage
A larger object, co-orbital with the comet, would be just as detectable as Elenin itself.

Here I am going to disagree with you. The visibility of such an object is very dependant on multiple factors, and is by no means guaranteed. Factors such as albedo, composition, size, position and distance from the main body, viewing obstructions and conditions, type of search equipment, and whether or not anyone is even looking to begin with. Often when finding a NEO its simply a matter of luck.

Well, our object collison budget's a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and beg'n your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The dust tail of the comet is dust. No hazard. Anything of significant size is co-orbital with the nucleus of the comet and poses no more threat than the "parent". A good example is Comet Linear (C/1999 S4). It fell to pieces as it neared the Sun. The fragments continued on, so close to the original orbit that they could be found months later, right where they were supposed to be on the original orbit.

If there were sizable chunks of Elenin, they would be seen. Remember Shoemaker-Levy?

edit on 6/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Then how do you account for the increases in Bolid activity associated with passing through the dust trails of comets? In order to generate a Bolid the debris has to be significantly larger then dust particulates, more in the magnitude of meters.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Hi I am new to ATS and would like to ask a few questions regarding Comet Elenin. There are many youtube vids and websites/blogs with the following coordinates 5 53 27 -6 10 58, if you use google earth/sky the image you get is clearly cut out, thats the conspiracy hype out here,

img52.imageshack.us...

Then I use JPL Horizons search from June 2006 to july 2011 for the numbers to match ( 5 53 27 -6 10 58 )

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

and well nothing matches at all ( perhaps some one can shed some light ) I used 2006 june to start is because google earth/sky is dated 2007 SDSS.

Real coordinates or ?????

I found this post on youtube channel www.youtube.com... page 2 of comments

4randy1 (2 days ago)
If you want to see Elenin, go to google sky. keep in mind that Google sky is a snap shot of space, taken on or before 2007. So all you need to do is find out where Elenin is in 2007 and enter coordinates in google sky. For instance on June 1, 2007, according to JPL, Elenin was at 09 46 10.31 +13 16 51.5. enter this into google sky and hit search. After it finishes, unzoom untill you can see the stars in LEO. Go to layers on the left and open sky data base, featured observatories and IRAS infared sky. Select IRAS overlay and there it is. Huge! Only to be seen in infared. Right below the ecliptic.

So i followed the instructions at and this is what I got

[IMG=http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5052/094610311316515.jpg][/IMG]

What is that?

The coordinates do match up on jpl wedsite 2007-Jun-01 00:00 09 46 10.31 +13 16 51.5 n.a. 25.42 14.6011906924190 17.2699043 74.2402 /T 3.8977

so could it be creditable?

I am just looking for more......................... truth so I can try my best to protect my wife and sons
Buggin out or stay put

Lastly 3 days of darkness ( sept 25-28 ) When Elenin passes between earth and sun. Any truth to it? The bible has it documented and just google 3 days of darkness and the info is scary!

img692.imageshack.us...

Hope for some diehard ATS friends to help.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Not really.

The term bolide is pretty vague but according to the AMS, a bolide is a meteor which terminates with a bright flash. If you're talking about that, size doesn't have much to do with it.

The Perseid meteor shower is peaking this week and announced its annual August arrival with a bright fireball over Alabama, NASA officials say.

A small 1-inch (2.5-cm) wide meteor caused the fireball when it met a fiery demise Aug. 3 while streaking through Earth's atmosphere, according to officials at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

www.space.com...

Cometary material is fluffy (and fast) resulting a bright displays.

As a comet passes near the sun in its orbit, the outer surface exposed to sunlight is vaporized and ejected in spectacular jets and streams, freeing large amounts of loosely aggregated clumps of dust and other non-volatile materials.

These freshly generated cometary meteoroids, often called “dustballs” will roughly continue to follow the orbit of the parent comet, and will form a meteoroid stream.

Based upon photographic fireball studies, cometary meteoroids have extremely low densities, about 0.8 grams/cc for class IIIA fireballs, and 0.3 grams/cc for class IIIB fireballs. This composition is very fragile and vaporizes so readily when entering the atmosphere, that it is called “friable” material. These meteoroids have virtually no chance of making it to the ground unless an extremely large piece of the comet enters the atmosphere, in which case it would very likely explode at some point in its flight, due to mechanical and thermal stresses.

www.amsmeteors.org...

I don't recall ever hearing about a meteor shower producing anything large enough to be the result of a chunk meters wide.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

First off, Comets do eject larger chunks as they vent:

In the mid-1980s, the astronomers Tamas I. Gombosi and Harry L.F. Houpis first suggested that the nuclei of comets consist of relatively large boulders cemented together by a ‘glue’ of smaller particles and ice. If the rocky and icy nucleus of a comet disintegrates, then these large boulders are set loose into space.

From these trajectory measurements, bolides have been found to have many different orbits, some clustering in streams often associated with a parent comet, others apparently sporadic. Debris from bolide streams may eventually be scattered into other orbits. The light spectra, combined with trajectory and light curve measurements, have yielded various compositions and densities, ranging from fragile snowball-like objects with density about a quarter that of ice, to nickel-iron rich dense rocks.

Astronomers have analyzed the cometary fireball that blazed across the sky over Europe last year and concluded it was a dense object, about a meter (3.2 feet) across and with a mass of nearly two tons – large enough that some fragments probably survived intact and fell to the ground as meteorites.

The fine dust from the coma produces a shooting star if it enters our atmosphere, these are particulates the size of grains of sand:

In order to create a Bolide, such as these, the object has to be much larger, and is normally large enough that chunks of it survive all the way to the surface:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
AFP928,

Comet Elenin was located halfway between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus in June 2007, and it would have been incredibly faint. If you have "discovered" something that appears to be "huge" on that date, then it certainly is not Comet Elenin.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by afp928

So i followed the instructions at and this is what I got

[IMG=http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5052/094610311316515.jpg][/IMG]

What is that?

It is the carbon star CW Leonis. And yes, it's still there, 4 years later. I wish Google Sky would update and put that stupid part of the conspiracy theory to bed.

Everyone knows Elenn is really a giant tube shaped spaceship from Sirius that Arthur C. Clarke wrote about in Rendezvous With Rama.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
CW Leonis; Leonid Elenin; Spooky isn't it?

Sometimes life is stranger than fiction.
(but not that really out there strange kind of stuff)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

If the rocky and icy nucleus of a comet disintegrates, then these large boulders are set loose into space.
Yes, I know comets disintegrate into large fragments. I pointed that out. That's not really the same as ejecting larger chunks as they go.

The light spectra, combined with trajectory and light curve measurements, have yielded various compositions and densities, ranging from fragile snowball-like objects with density about a quarter that of ice, to nickel-iron rich dense rocks.
Guess which ones are cometary. Guess which ones are asteroidal.

The European fireball was probably associated with the breakup of a comet.

This orbit is very similar to that of a cloud of meteoroids known as the Omicron Draconids, which on rare occasions produces a minor meteor shower and probably originates from the breakup of Comet C/1919 Q2 Metcalf in 1920. The authors suggest the boulder was once embedded in the nucleus of that comet.
www.universetoday.com...

Has Elenin broken up? No. Might it? Sure, why not. Would the fragments be a threat to Earth? No more so than their parent since they will follow more or less the same orbit.

Did those videos of bolides occur during meteor showers? Are you sure they were cometary material and not asteroidal?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i would be more worried about what is going on to our planet than some comet that will never even get close to even worry about. I would be more concerned about the melting of antartica and the polar ice caps. WHY? The permafrost is melting and giving off mass amounts of methane gas which is 25 times more powerful than co2 effects. Our planets temperature is rising fast and no one cares. All this gas is in HUGE , massive amounts and is going into your air and lungs right now as i write this. Go to youtube and punch in thawing permafrost changing planet and at 4 min and 5 sec. it gets into detail. A must watch. This melt off is increasing at a rate that scientists are alarmed. very alarmed. We may see in the near, near, NEAR future of all life on this planet in a exstinction level event. If i were you, i would take a looksie, because your life depends on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join