It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wow,...(wipes sweat from forehead)
what a relief,. no worries about Elenin,..
I suppose I can move my hand away from the panic button now..
My arm was gettin tired anyway..

At least we will have a good show,. weather permitting

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

That`s a great video.
He`s got a good sense of humour too !

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by wildespace
This video reflects my opinion very well: www.youtube.com...

Why does it sound as if this person is blaming us for the numbers at the bottom of the chart? I just figured those were NASAs calculations. Ya ok you go ahead and listen to him. Seems like a quack to me. Definetly no sense of humor at all and no mentality to even know himself that well. To know he's not humorous. If he's your guru that's cool.

edit on 21-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Calculations come from the Minor Planet Center, which is the official organisation in charge of collecting observational data for minor planets (asteroids) and comets, calculating their orbits and publishing this information via the Minor Planet Circulars. They work under the International Astronomical Union. en.wikipedia.org...

Here's their data for the comet Elenin: ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu...
Scroll down to 2011 10 17. Among the various values, it shows 0.2336 which is the distance from the comet to Earth in AU. This is the closest calculated distance, as you can see that this number begins increasing from that date on. If you have Google Earth application, download the KML file from ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu... and open it in Google Earth (it should switch to Google Sky). It shows the comet's track in the sky, as well as the distance to us at each position.

NASA didn't make those calculations, although they do make them available at their JPL site.
edit on 22-2-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Ok , Lets imagine comet Elenin comes, goes, gone. Nothing at all happens.

Looking back what have we learned ? There must surely be a lesson in all of this still ?.

One lesson I hope people will learn is that we should rely on cold, hard scientific data rather than speculations that people bring forward every time something happens in the sky

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

One lesson I hope people will learn is that we should rely on cold, hard scientific data rather than speculations that people bring forward every time something happens in the sky

From a scientific apex, I can see your point. This would raise the intellectual dependability of the publics testimony.Creating a more educated public, that isn't so prone to crying wolf all the time ? Is that what you're getting at? I understand that if it is. But is it realistic to expect people to not bring stunning sinchronicities such as the
ones involved with the movie Deep Impact to the table.? I mean, you can deny that there is a numerology fascination going on with perps of 911. You can refuse to look at how we are seeing signs of the same thing about to happen here with Elenin. Can you really expect the fascination that others have for this stuff to just cease. If you do? I don't believe you should, because your asking people not to observe and that's ridiculuos and I hope you see what I'm saying here.

Your asking the common citizen to simply ignore his avenue to becoming involved. That isn't going to happen.
So from a scientic apex, you should be more realistic These sinchronicities arn't imagined you know? If I see them I'm going to want others to notice what I have noticed. That's on the natch. I believe if something needs to happen? It's that academics need to stop being so stiff and rigid and high and mighty, because the same way the working class goes. So goes the academics. We're both a dime a dozen to the elite.

Randyvious

edit on 22-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Let's face it your average Joe (or Joanne) wants a bit of "doom", and actually I see nothing wrong with that as it is a form or release. I too find some of the coincidences bizarre and that itself is fascinating. This is one of the reasons why I am happy to tolerate reasoned speculation on this thread.

Cold hard scientific fact is NOT actually a good thing mainly because if you accept that dogma, no matter which branch of science you are in, then you close the doors to advancement of new ideas. Science has no business dealing in a consensus. If I make a statement, you pick holes in it or you agree with it. What you should not do is state that something is wrong "because the consensus.blah blah blah....". THAT is not science.

Let me give you an example of cold hard science fact. Two weeks ago I read a very convincing geological paper that proposed that the core of the earth rotates about 1 degree faster than the crust (in simple terms) i.e. it advances one complete revolution in 360 years. Now today "scientists have discovered that it is slower than was thought and only makes a complete revolution ahead once every 360,000,000 years." Both promulgated or I should say proposed as fact!

It is an old chestnut but very true that it was not so long ago that the Sun went round the Earth - cold hard scientific fact!

edit on 22/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I think your right in saying that your average person likes/wants a bit of doom. I hate it when a good conspiracy comes to hand, only to be filled with facts at the end of it all that make everything else seem a little silly.

Like this thread, its had us all speculating and getting excited, but with more and more concrete information coming out i feel let down. But i guess at the same time its a relief that its not our time just yet!

I did read today about it not being anything to get excited about, it won't be seen like Hale-Bopp was in 1997. But with every day comes change and Elenin is still changing so who knows.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well I will hold the light if need be,.
Cause,. the event has not happened yet,.
Still in progress,. maybe,.. just maybe,. there might be a little excitment

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

from what I understand it is not the "passing" of the comet, but the "alignment" which will cause magnetic pole problems.....of course I could be wrong....I've been known to be wrong from time to time,...just ask my husband LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

I think your right in saying that your average person likes/wants a bit of doom. I hate it when a good conspiracy comes to hand, only to be filled with facts at the end of it all that make everything else seem a little silly.

Like this thread, its had us all speculating and getting excited, but with more and more concrete information coming out i feel let down. But i guess at the same time its a relief that its not our time just yet!

I did read today about it not being anything to get excited about, it won't be seen like Hale-Bopp was in 1997. But with every day comes change and Elenin is still changing so who knows.

All right, now you see what drummer just wrote above me. Is it really so much that people have to be looking for gloom and doom? I don't think that's accurate at all. I don't want to see our home wrecked. But the excitement
of watching something come close.

People love to be scared and they love an adventure. I think if there are people who want the doom. They most likely want to be able to fine tune the doom so to speak. Some might want just enough doom to completely transform the world. Some may want it to wipe present civilization out in the hopes of something better rising from the old ways. A new world rising, from the shambles of the old. who wouldn't want that?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Aww, sorry if I'm spoling your excitement with my cold hard scientific data .

I don't mind a bit of speculation myself, as long as it doesn't affect our lifes in a negative way. I've heard that many youngsters are troubled by the 2012 predictions, and some are even thinking of suicide. Likewise, both 2012 and now 2011 predictions or "evidence" are getting some people very agitated to the point of paranoid delusion. I doubt they're doing it for enterntainment or because it's "cool".

I'm aware that our scientific knowledge is improving and increasing all the time, so when I mentioned "cold hard facts" I didn't mean getting stuck with the same idea for hundreds of years. Science is self-correcting; when new evidence comes that calls for a change in our knowledge, the change takes place. As you saw in the past few months, the trajectory of the comet Elenin has been corrected several times, thanks to the ever-increasing number of observations. There's no telling that it won't change ever again, but the only way we will know is by observations - which is where our "cold hard data" comes from.

Likewise, the absence of data tells us what NOT to worry about. Some people say Elenin is huge, that it's gonna impact us or reverse our poles, or spray us with toxic chemicals that will cause a plague. None of this is supported by any scientific data. Some of you gonna say "there was an earthquake when such and such comet arrived", but correlation does not imply causation. en.wikipedia.org...
My favourite example of that principle is the humorous assertion of Pastafarians that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of pirates since the 1800s. They even made a chart showing that as the number of pirates decreased, global temperatures increased.

By the way, here's a little video I made that gives the overview of the comet: www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You have a good point. I think that if you could tailer your doom, then i would like something Earth changing in the way of cleansing the planet.

Get rid of all the bad and start a fresh. I do feel in my heart that we have reached the point of no return. Things need to change and get better. I have young children and i don't want the world they grow-up in to be like it is now.

If we are flung back to the dark ages then so be it, start a fresh and get along with our fellow men/women. We need a great change and i guess i have that little hope inside me that wants Elenin to be that change.

Its like in the film The day the Earth stood still, we need to change our ways in order to save ourselves.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I respect facts,.it certainly keeps things in perspective,.
Something you said " science is self correcting"
This is true,.
Science is continuously being rewritten,. as is history
But please,. continue to bring any and all info to keep us all updated.
Randyvs ...'
'

I spoke with my neighbor whom has his own university size telescope
and he was already in the Know,.. so when Elenin gets closer,. he is gonna call me,.
Should be cool

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981
reply to post by randyvs

You have a good point. I think that if you could tailer your doom, then i would like something Earth changing in the way of cleansing the planet.

Get rid of all the bad and start a fresh. I do feel in my heart that we have reached the point of no return. Things need to change and get better. I have young children and i don't want the world they grow-up in to be like it is now.

If we are flung back to the dark ages then so be it, start a fresh and get along with our fellow men/women. We need a great change and i guess i have that little hope inside me that wants Elenin to be that change..

Its like in the film The day the Earth stood still, we need to change our ways in order to save ourselves.

Very well said. The self perpetuating system that is in place now, in society, will never end. Unless something comes along and ends it. The way of fractional banking is slavery. What else do people have to hope for?
A new start would be a relief for a great multitude

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey Randyvs I think as was sort of pointed out in the following posts it does depend how you define doom.

Yes I agree that we could do with some doom that rewrote the current socio-economic system but not that rewrote the planet. That would be considered by some to be doom and others to be a blessing.
  • nanoDoom (nD) Doom * 10-9 that affects a very short period of time on a purely personal basis and has no long lasting effects. Generally fleeting and can only discerned by paranoia and is often imagined.
  • microDoom (μD) Doom * 10^-6 that affects a period of time for one or more persons. The effects may be long lasting and of a non-personal nature but are not generally terminal.
  • Doom (D) The effects may be permanent and of a non-personal nature but are not generally terminal.
  • MegaDoom (MD) Doom * 10^6 The effects are permanent, of a non-personal nature and may be terminal.
  • ExaDoom (ED) Doom * 10^18 The effects are permanent, of a non-personal nature and are terminal. Equates to an ELE. Generally planetary.
  • YotaDoom (YD) Doom * 10^24 Permanent terminal Doom that affects whole solar systems.

So Elenin currently rates as nD

It would probably be truer to say that people want a bit of doom in an imaginary sense but not in reality.

edit on 26/2/2011 by PuterMan because: Forgot the end of list tag

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Elenin's stats have been updated

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a21ecfe1017.png[/atsimg]

If the current rate of change is maintained the noninal approach would be 0.22176944 AU

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Still too far to worry about. Also, note that the minimum distance has been increased.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I guess that would be expected if the orbital parameters were stabilising. The max reduces and the min increases until they both = nominal.

As you say, still nD

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Nice thread...see the pitfalls of not spending day to day on ATS, I missed the thread.......
well I'll gladly post my video when it is visible from September (if the Great Leek God Of Rainy Wales allows it).
I'm now in the process of trying to observe Orion over a period of time. So I may get up to date imagery of that region of space, for the Google/Nasa Hiding things threads that pop up from time to time. (the Great Leek God hasn't been kind of late
)
edit on 26-2-2011 by DreamerOracle because: adding

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join