It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Just been searching for some updates on Elenin and found this site
LINK

I've just been reading down the page and noticed this:

While Comet Elenin's coma (the blurry part around the comet) is currently estimated at ~22,000Km. The actual comet itself is estimated to be between ~2.5 and ~7 miles wide

So another reference to the size of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have been trying to ignore all the koinky dinks for some time,.
This thread is full of them, like slaps in the face,.
except I am trying to stay in a constant state of grogy,... denial
I guess we all may see the truth soon,... then wake up hey?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Is it going to be visible to the naked eye and if so how big in relation to other objects in the sky?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think the idea is that we will be following it at X = the speed of Earth, as it sweeps around in front of us it will drag it's debris trail into our path.. It should produce a good show.

The fact that it is very magnetic in nature may cause some problems. I know they say it's size is shrinking with each new report. Well, the Earth was warming according to the reports and experts and now we find out that was all doctored to promote global warming, which is wrong theory.

We can expect to see the strange weather continue to become more frequent over the next few months,IMHO.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
the chick in the video said that march 15 last year when the south pole on earth? lined up with comets north pole and the sun, caused that earthquake. any one no what its gonna do this year when the poles meet up again? I.E bigger earthquake than last year

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ITSALLAROUNDYOU
the chick in the video said that march 15 last year when the south pole on earth? lined up with comets north pole and the sun, caused that earthquake. any one no what its gonna do this year when the poles meet up again? I.E bigger earthquake than last year

Like MANY have stated throughout this thread, comet Elenin can not cause a pole shift!!
1. its a comet
2. its to far away
3. we don't even know how big it is
4. we haven't been told what is made of for sure
Shall i go on?

Everything is speculation at the moment in regards to size and what affects if any it will have on Earth.

There is nothing to worry about, not yet anyway. Start worrying if its big or its made of something that can have an affect.
edit on 21/2/11 by boo1981 because: spaces

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Is it going to be visible to the naked eye and if so how big in relation to other objects in the sky?

I'm guessing that it will look something like Comet Hale-Bopp did when it past by us in 1997.

Here are the stats on Hale-Bopp:

C/1995 O1 (Hale–Bopp)
Discovery
Discovered by: Alan Hale and
Thomas Bopp
Discovery date: July 23, 1995
Alternate designations: The Great Comet of 1997,
C/1995 O1
Orbital characteristics A
Epoch: 2450460.5
Aphelion distance: 370.8 AU[1]
Perihelion distance: 0.914 AU[1]
Semi-major axis: 186 AU
Eccentricity: 0.995086
Orbital period: 2520[2]-2533[1] yr
(Barycentric 2391 yr)[3]
Inclination: 89.4°
Last perihelion: April 1, 1997[1]
Next perihelion: ~4385[4]

LINK

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This video reflects my opinion very well: www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

A little more fuel on the fire is this. Government
shuting down on the 10th? That's count em 1234 five days from March 15th. Woe ? The quinky dinks keep com'in.
edit on 20-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

As someone who is not American and who doesn't live there, I find the whole obsession with the USA government very strange. In other countries, people somehow manage to go about their daily lifes without thinking that their govenment is hiding the apocalypse from them. It must be an American thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

Just been searching for some updates on Elenin and found this site
LINK

I've just been reading down the page and noticed this:

While Comet Elenin's coma (the blurry part around the comet) is currently estimated at ~22,000Km. The actual comet itself is estimated to be between ~2.5 and ~7 miles wide

So another reference to the size of it.

I emailed Leonid (the guy who discovered the comet) and he estimates it to be 3-4 km in diameter. The coma of course become a lot larger, but it's made mostly of gasses.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

At the close approach (October) , it's estimated to be about as bright as Neptune or Uranus (6-8 apparent magnitude). The naked-eye limit is around 6.5 mag, so if we're lucky we might see it as a very dim dot, and that's only in dark-sky locations. Realistically, though, you should use binoculars or a telescope to see it.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

You emailed him? Can we see the reply you got here. I know a lot of people would love to see it.
Would be the first concrete evidence of its size.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by win 52
The fact that it is very magnetic in nature

There is no scientific data to suggest that.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You emailed him? Can we see the reply you got here. I know a lot of people would love to see it.

Sure, here's the copy&paste straight from the email:

Hi Maksim!

Thanks for congratulations. My comet is relative small (for long-period comets), I estimate diameter about 3-4 km.

His contact details are at spaceobs.org...
Try not to overload him with emails, lol

edit on 21-2-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
This video reflects my opinion very well: www.youtube.com...

Why does it sound as if this person is blaming us for the numbers at the bottom of the chart? I just figured those were NASAs calculations. Ya ok you go ahead and listen to him. Seems like a quack to me. Definetly no sense of humor at all and no mentality to even know himself that well. To know he's not humorous. If he's your guru that's cool.

edit on 21-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Sure, here's the copy&paste straight from the email:

Hi Maksim!

Thanks for congratulations. My comet is relative small (for long-period comets), I estimate diameter about 3-4 km.

His contact details are at spaceobs.org...
Try not to overload him with emails, lol

edit on 21-2-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

Now this is something

Ok , Lets imagine comet Elenin comes, goes, gone. Nothing at all happens.

Looking back what have we learned ? There must surely be a lesson in all of this still ?.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

NASA has some info here
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

As I too would like to know size and its makeup?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Thank you indeed for that piece of information.

At least we have some more 'concrete' information to go on.

I note that earlier you quote the standard iceball type scenario. Is this because you are an astronomer, or amateur astronomer, or because it is just something you have heard? I am assuming from your handle that you have an interest in these things.

The electric comet theory has been discussed on the thread (and I am not wanting to get into an argument about it now) and I was wondering if you had come across this?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

At the close approach (October) , it's estimated to be about as bright as Neptune or Uranus (6-8 apparent magnitude). The naked-eye limit is around 6.5 mag, so if we're lucky we might see it as a very dim dot, and that's only in dark-sky locations. Realistically, though, you should use binoculars or a telescope to see it.

I concur.

I've seen speculative comments that we will see the comet "stretching across the sky", but this is unlikely since the tail is usually far dimmer than the comet itself. It certainly won't be another "Hale-Bopp". Unless there is an outburst, the only thing that will be visible, from a very dark sky, will be a dim-fuzzy "star".
edit on 21-2-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join