It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Stereo B meets Elenin now on the 27th July. Not sure if that has changed. I am checking the thread to see.

Edit: Just so you don't have to go searching here are the two versions again.

US Navy Stereo A+B
JPL data

edit on 16/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Something that concerns me,.
Where are all the junior astronomers?
Why is this not being spotted by anyone else and why is this not in the media yet.
Do we have an exact location on this,.
I can look for it as I have access to a nice scope.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

Lol, they left this thread a long time ago.
Anyway in answer to your question it can't be seen yet as the closer it comes to the Sun the more it heats up and creates the vapour/debris trail. Not entirely sure when it will be visible but it has to get a lot closer first.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Something that concerns me,.
Where are all the junior astronomers?
Why is this not being spotted by anyone else and why is this not in the media yet.
Do we have an exact location on this,.
I can look for it as I have access to a nice scope.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

Lol, they left this thread a long time ago.
Anyway in answer to your question it can't be seen yet as the closer it comes to the Sun the more it heats up and creates the vapour/debris trail. Not entirely sure when it will be visible but it has to get a lot closer first.
Ya ,.. but the suspense is killin me,.
I am trying to make my plans for the doomsday block party

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well I think given that the average magnitude of observable stars under very clear and dark sky conditions is magnitude 6, that would put Elenin at mag 6 around August, so it should be visible in backyard scopes around then maybe even earlier for the larger scopes.
It was discovered in December with an 18 inch scope so right now it would still put it out of reach of most amatures, that's a huge scope to have sitting around.

If I come across a more detailed description I will post it, and if I remember I will give a heads up as to when the first pics from backyarders start coming in.
edit on 16-2-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks pazcat.

I have been back through the thread and collected the estimates to date

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e62767fa966.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We are being plagiarised!!

This quote by me:

In my post posted on 13/2/2011 @ 18:00

Appears to have turned up here verbatim!

Source: Overclockers.co.uk

I was browsing and recognised the text immediately! (The smiley does not come across in a copy and paste). Note this one is 20 minutes after mine.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

First chance I have had to spend time reading the news we don't get from CBC, CNN, FOX, etc.. Just have to say thanks.

I am enjoying the sound of munching on Crow, I have been hearing lately.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Wow, wonder what that site is about. By the looks of the conversation, not the sharpest tools.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thats a WOW alright. I wouldn't know the reply for that. Thats just down right wrong! I'm flabergasted

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by win 52

I am enjoying the sound of munching on Crow, I have been hearing lately.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Well I think given that the average magnitude of observable stars under very clear and dark sky conditions is magnitude 6, that would put Elenin at mag 6 around August, so it should be visible in backyard scopes around then maybe even earlier for the larger scopes.
It was discovered in December with an 18 inch scope so right now it would still put it out of reach of most amatures, that's a huge scope to have sitting around.

If I come across a more detailed description I will post it, and if I remember I will give a heads up as to when the first pics from backyarders start coming in.
edit on 16-2-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)
That would be great,.
But I will still be looking for location before that cause like I said ,. I have access to a nice scope,.
I happen to have a neighbor with his own observatory( actually lives about a mile from me)
and another neighbor with a scope that has about a 15 inch diameter and about 6 feet in length.( guess)
I am sure they would be more than willing to be in on this,.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Wow day before my son's birthday

Like I said exciting times ahead from here in out

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

You can get up-to-date info on Elenin at JPL Small-Body Database Browser: ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

There's also (hopefully up-to-date) data at ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu...

Elenin is currently in Virgo constellation, not far from the galaxy NGC 4030.
For Feb 17th, the coordinates for the comet are: 11 58 15.9, -01 04 30
Apparent magnitude: 17.6 (fainter than Pluto)
Wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org...

As for Leonid Elenin, he's not fictional, and his name and surname are very ordinary Russian name and surname. He discovered an asteroid in 2009:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

Latest news on the comet: spaceobs.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
just checked the JPL site, it looks like the orbit has moved a little closer to Earth. The closest approach distance between Earth & Elenin has moved under .24 au in October.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

thanks for the links,.
we will be checking soon,.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

There is no need to worry is what we get fed.

But with a close encounter like this and we only found out about it, just a couple of months ago. I am confused, because the experts say they can spot these things way before they ever get close to us. I wonder if that is why all the people who know have built bunkers and plan to take control of things when this blows over.

And then, there were all the gullible people who thought nothing was wrong, because they trusted the experts. And they laugh and scoff!

These are the ones who will eat Crow.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by win 52

There is no need to worry is what we get fed.

But with a close encounter like this and we only found out about it, just a couple of months ago. I am confused, because the experts say they can spot these things way before they ever get close to us. I wonder if that is why all the people who know have built bunkers and plan to take control of things when this blows over.

And then, there were all the gullible people who thought nothing was wrong, because they trusted the experts. And they laugh and scoff!

These are the ones who will eat Crow.

Comets are small icy bodies, often only a few kilometers across, and come from the outer Solar System. This makes them difficult to detect until they get closer to the Sun. When the comet Elenin was detected, it was (and currently still is) fainter than Pluto, and was detected in an image that involved several exposures stacked together, totalling 16 minutes of exposure.

Speaking of "coming close"... Last October, the comet Hartley 2 passed within 0.12 AU. Did you also expect the apocalypse to happen then? Me, I prefer to base my conclusions on cold, hard evidence.

P.S. What makes the comet Elenin such a dooms-day comet in some people's eyes? I've looked at a lot of scientific data for this comet, and simply can't see what all the fuss is about. Is it because of its long period? Because it's close to the ecliptic? You tell me.
edit on 18-2-2011 by wildespace because: additional thoughts

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

The Name Elenin and the lack of Data and every increasing corrections to his Path i guess.

For me,its the increasing Solar Activity which "could" affect Comets/Asteroids etc. Path (and this is just a Theory,but it is a possiblility)

Lets see what happens in the next Months

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

.. Last October, the comet Hartley 2 passed within 0.12 AU. Did you also expect the apocalypse to happen then?

No... did NASA not classify that as being under propulsion?

500 KM at the Equator and gaining mass does not sound like it contains ice, nor depicts it's small size.

Did you catch the expert's study of the super storms on Jupiter so they can better understand how Earth's weather works? BTW, those storms were happening right around the time of Jupiter's encounter with Elenin.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

A little more fuel on the fire is this. Government
shuting down on the 10th? That's count em 1234 five days from March 15th. Woe ? The quinky dinks keep com'in.
edit on 20-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join