It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Drala

I starred your post For significance.
You bring it to laymens terms very well. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

As a matter of interest what approximate size object would be capable of making landfall.

Brick?, concrete block?

It depends on the material it's made from and other factors like entry angle/velocity - obviously the harder/denser objects would not have to be as large as the objects made of more fragile material to make it to the ground.

If we assume a fairly hard object (but not as hard as a nickel/iron object, which are less common) then objects that are around 1meter+ in size stand a chance of making it down to the ground. However they only make it down to the ground as fragments, since when they slam into the atmosphere (at anywhere between 11-72 km/s), the forces and stresses involved are enough to cause the object to break apart in most cases. The larger remaining fragments will then slow down quickly as small things don't have the momentum to punch through the atmosphere, and would reach the ground traveling at free-fall velocity.

More often than not objects like this do disintegrate high up (between 20-50 km), but those that do not will be completely ablated (when material is stripped away from the outer layer of the object) due to their momentum (keeping the velocity high) and the denser lower layers of atmosphere, meaning more ablation.

Objects with more than 10 tones of mass (its easier to talk in terms of mass than the size - but that is somewhere between 5-10 meters), will retain enough of their mass so that they can reach the ground with a portion of their cosmic velocity.

Meteoroids of more than about 10 tons (9,000 kg) will retain a portion of their original speed, or cosmic velocity, all the way to the surface. A 10-ton meteroid entering the Earth’s atmosphere perpendicular to the surface will retain about 6% of its cosmic velocity on arrival at the surface. For example, if the meteoroid started at 25 miles per second (40 km/s) it would (if it survived its atmospheric passage intact) arrive at the surface still moving at 1.5 miles per second (2.4 km/s), packing (after considerable mass loss due to ablation) some 13 gigajoules of kinetic energy.

On the very large end of the scale, a meteoroid of 1000 tons (9 x 10^5 kg) would retain about 70% of its cosmic velocity, and bodies of over 100,000 tons or so will cut through the atmosphere as if it were not even there. Luckily, such events are extraordinarily rare.

All this speed in atmospheric flight puts great pressure on the body of a meteoroid. Larger meteoroids, particularly the stone variety, tend to break up between 7 and 17 miles (11 to 27 km) above the surface due to the forces induced by atmospheric drag, and perhaps also due to thermal stress. A meteoroid which disintegrates tends to immediately lose the balance of its cosmic velocity because of the lessened momentum of the remaining fragments. The fragments then fall on ballistic paths, arcing steeply toward the earth. The fragments will strike the earth in a roughly elliptical pattern (called a distribution, or dispersion ellipse) a few miles long, with the major axis of the ellipse being oriented in the same direction as the original track of the meteoroid. The larger fragments, because of their greater momentum, tend to impact further down the ellipse than the smaller ones. These types of falls account for the “showers of stones” that have been occasionally recorded in history. Additionally, if one meteorite is found in a particular area, the chances are favorable for there being others as well.

Source: American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs

You can enter your own parameters and find out what will happen when an object hits the atmosphere if you use this java applet here. Unfortunately it's saying "service unavailable" right now, but it should be working again soon hopefully.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here's some footage captured the other night of a super bolide over Italy.

It's a nice illustration of what happens to meter size range asteroids when they hit the atmosphere. This one looks like it may have showered the ground with fragments after having exploded high up in the atmosphere.

There is an an embedded flash clip here as well as still frames and links to lower bandwidth avi files.

edit on 9-2-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: image not displaying correctly

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In the thread "A warning from the Benevolents"
Hosted By ET Man
One question was asked by Greenize on page 2, as to when an event of
catastrophic nature was going to begin... ET Man's reply was October 2011
His thread started in 2009
And this Comet wasnt found till December 2010.
Hmmmmm.
Coincidence?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-2-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: link

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The6thSUN

This is a very interesting thread and I have spent the better part of a day reading it and searching the various links throughout. The most fascinating to me is the similarities to the movie, "Deep Impact". It strikes me that a man with such a name as Leonid Elenin even exists, given the circumstances of this particular discovery. I find it much too ironic that his name, Leonid is also the word for comets in November, which is apparently the time of greatest significance of this comet, AND, his last name, Elenin, seperated into the compound of 'ELE---abbreviation for Extinction Level Event and 'NIN-----meaning human being in another language. To me, this man, Leonid Elenin, whose name literally could mean 'November comet extinction of human beings', is just far, far beyond any realm of possibility. This name attached to a man who discovers a new species, or some new technology...possibly, but discovering a potentially mankind ending comet...??? Come on. I did not search this man out because I figure if it is a fictional name given to a code word of sorts for the powers that be, then any thing I find on him will be meticulously designed and false anyway.

The comet, however is real. So that leads me down the road of conspiracies. I don't particularly entertain conspiracy theories but for a few years some things have struck me as too odd not to mean something and this is one of them. If this Leonid Elenin is just a code for this event, then who made the name up? And if it is a code name then they must have already known about it before the so-called discovery. Now, here we are at when? Well, given the obvious coincidences to the real life comet and the movie's fictional one, one might surmise that 'they'~The Powers That Be or TPTB, knew then, in 1997 or there abouts, and as someone had pointed out earlier in the thread, maybe Deep Impact and Armageddon were both intended to 'soften the blow'.

Now, if they knew more than 13 years ago, then what, if anything has anyone tried to do about it? Here is what everyone has seemed to overlook, except maybe one, who mentioned 'hitting the moon' but didn't elaborate further since no one seemed to make the connection.

I don't know if I attached this correctly, if not, copy and paste it in a new window to see this NASA mission was said to 'bomb the moon' with a 'missile' when announced and later was called a probe.

www.scientificamerican.com...

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

Was this actually a test for destroying Elenin? To me, this is all too coincidental. These are factual events. There was a NASA mission to the moon by either a 'missile' or a probe. Japan also sent one the week previously. Supposedly, these missions were in search of water. Real mission, maybe not the real reason, I don't know but I know this there is no grasping at straws or seeking the truth in fantasy like the actors names being Elijah and Leoni-sp. I don't care that both the discoverer of Elenin and the movie Leo share a birthday, or if the numbers of the the actors names somehow add up to 9 or 11 or both.

The events of the last few years, and probably for many years, in connection with this comet are what speaks volumes to me. The movie may have only been a way to 'leak out information' in such a way that it wouldn't be beyond our belief when it did happen. A life line for those who might take notice when the event was unfolding....leading the public if you will, sort of like Blondie letting Dagwood believe he had all the ideas when in fact they were all hers. Elenin's name could be another one of these 'leads' or leaks, whichever for those folks like us, who notice. To find and discuss like planted evidence. And for a few who have watched and listened, we might find evidence, however circumstantial it might be like the 'missile' that turns into a 'probe' because of the outcry on the web about what idiots America's NASA must be and the reason a missile is being fired at the moon....that nearly gave it away 2 years too soon. So what do they do, they give the new president the Nobel Peace Prize to draw the attention away and change the missile to a probe and it all goes quiet again. No panic.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
why does it make a such hard turn? what forces are driving it to make that turn just before earth?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russorevresbo
why does it make a such hard turn? what forces are driving it to make that turn just before earth?
well My layman's guess would be the Gravitational pull of the sun.
At least we will hope it is strong enough

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I would agree with you that should it turn out to be Elenin that was the 'catastrophic' event then the prior to discovery indication would indeed be significant.

Does the relate specifically to a comet however? There are many other possible catastrophic events possible and it begs a definition of catastrophic as well.

In my opinion the Bardarbunga / Grimsvotn / Esjufjoll / Katla / Hekla complex would be an extremely catastrophic event if they all went off at the same time - and that IS a possibility and not necessarily a remote one. Were that to transpire it could lower global temperatures for several years and kill millions, which would make it catastrophic, unless you were unaffected by it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Hosted By ET Man
Hmmmmm.
Coincidence?

Why wouldn't that be a coincidence?
Also don't you see what he's done by saying "an event of catastrophic nature going to BEGIN"
Meaning he can simply claim anything as the beginning to some catastrophic event months later and still consider himself right.
edit on 10-2-2011 by hippomchippo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I would agree with you that should it turn out to be Elenin that was the 'catastrophic' event then the prior to discovery indication would indeed be significant.

Does the relate specifically to a comet however? There are many other possible catastrophic events possible and it begs a definition of catastrophic as well.

In my opinion the Bardarbunga / Grimsvotn / Esjufjoll / Katla / Hekla complex would be an extremely catastrophic event if they all went off at the same time - and that IS a possibility and not necessarily a remote one. Were that to transpire it could lower global temperatures for several years and kill millions, which would make it catastrophic, unless you were unaffected by it.
I guess what struck me as a possibility this was
a foresight is ET_MAN says it "could" be a passing by comet,. in October..

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Hosted By ET Man
Hmmmmm.
Coincidence?

Also don't you see what he's done by saying "an event of catastrophic nature going to BEGIN"
Meaning he can simply claim anything as the beginning to some catastrophic event months later and still consider himself right.
I am a huge skeptic off those that think they can see the future,.
However,. there seem to be many " simalarities" with this situation.
Have you read this thread?
And why does the world need a Seed bank called the Doomsday seed vault?
edit on 10-2-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Hosted By ET Man
Hmmmmm.
Coincidence?

I am a huge skeptic off those that think they can see the future,.
However,. there seem to be many " simalarities" with this situation.
Have you read this thread?
And why does the world need a Seed bank called the Doomsday seed vault?

See, this is what I'm talking about.

I've read most of the thread(It's rather long) and from what i've seen, all it is is exactly what you're doing, trying desperately to fit prophecies into world events, no matter how loose or vague it appears.

Why shouldn't we have a seed bank? It doesn't mean doom is imminient, it means someone thought we may eventually go extinct and that perhaps we should preserve our environment for any future that could remain.

I highly doubt you're skeptical about things like this considering his entire thread is based on the idea that Aliens gave him the information, right? Or was he claiming to be an alien at first then changed it?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Wow this is kinda like clapping with one hand here,.
The only relevance I brought to THIS thread is the date in which was picked,.
And what was said, as to be the possibility of what could cause the event.
Do I want this or am trying to create a doomsdays scenario?,.. I dont have to
the info is already there,. I am just bringing it to light.
And besides if you dont like a Conspiracy theory,. why did you join ATS,. Just to argue?
This isnt really a topic to debate with me,. As you are on one side of the fence and I am on the other,.
Your comment to the seed bank is contradictory, and of course something is expected to ensure life exists
in the event of,.why else would they invest so much in the project in the first place.
And to make a judgement call of my personality is a sheer lack of research,.
By one statement I make? Please look into ALL my posts in all the other threads I have been in on
Then,. tell me I am not skeptical,.
I could say you lack vision and have short sightedness by your posts here,.
But that would not be fair would it.

This comet, as in the info we currently have will come close to earth,.that is a fact
Everything else until it gets closer is either myth or theory,. and the truth wont be known till it passes,.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Sorry but you are wrong about the seed bank. The seed viability deteriorates over time even if frozen - and some seed cannot be frozen.

There are only two possible reasons for this seed bank

1) To maintain original and viable seeds for a restart if seed genetics goes haywire

2) To maintain original and viable seeds for a restart in the event of a imminent major catastrophe.

I go for 2 on the basis that either way 1 is needed since many GM seeds have terminator genes, and this will increase. This is not a problem while the world ticks over, but in the event of disaster terminator gene seed is no darn use to man nor beast.

I don't think Elenin is the cause as she was discovered long after the seed bank was built, but what else do they know?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

But the vault that they got the seeds in is called: "The Doomsday Vault". Notice the key word that the used... "Doomsday". So my only guess if that TPTB already knew about what's coming and so they had to prepare for the worse that's to come and if it comes.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

-snippity-

I'm sure you saw this then?
link

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

This short 2 part video on remote viewing is amazing in the light of comet Elenin and the upcoming climatic changes. The top military grade remote viewers participated in a tightly controlled study and found to their surprise that comets and meteorites, as well as super storms will devastate the world before 2013. Just an amazing video.
edit on 11-2-2011 by MayaMaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MayaMaya

I know that by 'pooling their resources' the remote viewers are able to open up more bandwidth as it were and able to get more precise and accurate readings. Being able to perform a bit of this from time to time, the fact that the ones trained in this see this coming is more frightening than just about anything else.

It may not be Elenin, but there is a rock or other bit of debris circling our sun that's got our name on it. With the number of them that are missed and not even discovered until after they've whizzed past us, I don't have the greatest confidence in Space Guard

Besides, if they really did know and didn't have the ability to do anything about it, they'd NEVER tell us.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

This comet, as in the info we currently have will come close to earth,.that is a fact

Hey Drummer don't even be distracted by Hippos Chippo on his shouldero. I for one am damn glad you brought that forward. Like one more part of the puzzle we didn't know about.This thread, has seemingly been laid out masterfully by Puterman. It has already accepted, all the strangeness others and even I myself have brought to
it. From numerology even to prophetic hollywood story telling in cinema. When you read thru it. IT all points to just what ET man said. There is an awesome amount of correlation going on in this thread partner.

If he wants to come and be condescending who cares ! Besides he may just be frightened.

So that's my thanks anyway. I think it's an absolute trip my self. This whole damn thread.

edit on 11-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Now remote viewing's even making a show. Nostradamus. Did Casey mention anything like this ?

Hippo

Why shouldn't we have a seed bank? It doesn't mean doom is imminient, it means someone thought we may eventually go extinct and that perhaps we should preserve our environment for any future that could remain

You don't even say things the way they should to be said. Thanks for informing us on how to discern a food bank. Always good to hear it from an expert on food bank discernment. According to people like you, it seems we're not even supposed to notice, all the pieces fitting together at all. This thread shouldn't even be here.
What, should we all just lay on the Z key? As in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Discern that.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Hosted By ET Man
Hmmmmm.
Coincidence?

I noticed this, and am simply AMAZED that ET Man stated this, back in 2009, and this comet wasn't discovered until late 2010.
It has really made me have much belief in his thread. I'm shocked by it all to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join