It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thanks you too

With the networks and phones etc, i think it's more than network overload. i work for Telstra ( Australia's leading telco ) and it seems the local exchanges which act like a backbone for cell tower traffic are flooded which means nothing is getting in and out. Emergency services are ok as they use different tech..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

This type of flood is very very rare. We do have floods and extreme weather but this type of flooding and its depth isn't something we have seen in a long time.

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
***News Headline***

Port of Brisbane closed as river peaks

The Port of Brisbane has been closed to all shipping as the Brisbane River nears its flood peak.

Queensland Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said the port would be closed "to all but emergency situations" from Tuesday night.

"That may have some impact on the ability to resupply some centres but authorities are working with transport companies at the moment on arrangements to ensure that appropriate resupply arrangements are put in place," he told a media briefing at 9.30pm (AEDT) on Tuesday.

Source: news.ninemsn.com.au...

Sorry peeps, i know there is alot of updates, but i am posting as i come across weather and regional updates. To limit douple up's and ''bumping'' i will edit and repost headlines when possible.

News update City of Ipswich***

Ipswich bracing for record flood

A young boy has died during a dramatic rescue in the flooded Ipswich area, as thousands in the region flee from what will be the city's highest river peak in more than a century.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said the four-year-old, who was wearing a flotation jacket, fell out of a rescue boat and was swept away in floodwaters at Marburg, just west of Ipswich, on Tuesday afternoon.

"We've just found out a four-year-old-boy has fallen out of a boat and they've just found the body," Mr Pisasale told the ABC

edit on 11-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by truthseeker1984

This type of flood is very very rare. We do have floods and extreme weather but this type of flooding and its depth isn't something we have seen in a long time.

www.bom.gov.au...

Wow...

I'll be keeping all of you Aussies in my thoughts. Thanks for the data and keeping us all updated.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
***News Headline***

Power cuts to 100,000 homes

100,000 to be affected by power outage

About 100,000 residents in Brisbane and Ipswich could be without power as officials get ready to hit the off switch because of major flooding.

Energex said operators will remain on standby to cut power in low-lying areas of the two cities should floodwaters come as expected over the next 24 hours.

Brisbane CBD workers will definitely be affected, with electricity due to be turned off in various parts of the city beginning 7am (AEST) on Wednesday.

I'm just trying to keep the thread upto date and informed.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
QLD Govt Wepage updates:

www.qld.gov.au...

Brisbane CBD flood maps - www.brisbane.qld.gov.au...

Maps by township:

www.brisbane.qld.gov.au...

Anyone wishing to donate can follow links on page.

Flood forecast maps for coming days:

media.bcc.ireckon.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

hey man.... hope you guys can stem the flow somehow....

all of this which is happening was predicted.... i hope things calm down around the world but i can't really see it with all this greed!!

Anyway..... sounds real bad...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It's hard to stem the flow when it's coming fromthe sky... if ya know what i mean??

The rain is fierce and unrelenting. It's insane to be honest.

Well it wasnt predicted by the right people, as the BOM could not predict the extent of this downfall and flooding. It came out of nowhere in some cases. While they did predict the rainfall, the full extent was shocking even for the so-called experts.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Also for all those that do not realise, the flooding actually started on Christmas eve in many places and has been ongoing and getting much worsesince then.

Here are some more clips courtey ABC news and youtube:

In ref to the above clip ( apologies for the music
)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

UPDATE:

www.smh.com.au...

A dam and a prayer

The devastating flood has left whole families missing, now a mighty dam built to protect Brisbane after its last major flood disaster is at bursting point, reports David Humphries.

WITH the dead and missing in its wake, the worst flood in 100 years is building towards Brisbane as Australia's third-biggest city holds its breath and hopes a dam 80 kilometres to its west can keep back enough water to avoid a disaster of biblical proportions.

The Wivenhoe Dam - built to spare the Queensland capital a repeat of devastating floods in 1974 - is at its limit. ''And they now have to discharge that water [further swelling the Brisbane River] … because more is on the way,'' the lord mayor, Campbell Newman, said yesterday of the ''huge challenge'' facing Wivenhoe authorities.

www.smh.com.au...

au.news.yahoo.com...

Wivenhoe put to the ultimate test

Brisbane's main defence from a catastrophic flood is facing an unprecedented test as heavy rain continues to inundate southern Queensland.

Further upstream the Wivenhoe Dam, built in the wake of the deadly 1974 floods, is pumping record amounts of water over its spillway as the flood situation rapidly changes.

Last night releases from Wivenhoe's five gates were at about 236,000 megalitres, but that level will be increased today.

'Catastrophic'

Professor Chanson says the dam operators have been progressively releasing water from the dam to prevent it filling.

"If the Wivenhoe become full up to the stage where the water in the reservoir is very close to the crest of the dam, it would mean a situation where the operators of the dam would have to open fully the gate of the spillway," he said.

"Anything coming into the reservoir would have to be immediately discharged."

He says it would be catastrophic if water made it over the top of the dam wall.

"The Wivenhoe Dam is not designed to be overtopped, it is what we call an embankment dam. And if water was to flow over the top of the crest of the dam, there would be a very high risk of erosion of the dam wall and ultimately failure of the dam," he said.

"If the water was to spill over the top of the crest of the dam we would look at the failure of the dam on the possible complete emptying of the reservoir into the Brisbane River with deadly consequences for the people living downstream."

au.news.yahoo.com...

If the dam breaks it will make the current flood look like a puddle.

I don't think I can sleep tonight, even though I'm down here in Sydney I have relatives up there, thankfully safe at the moment but that could change in a heartbeat.

edit on 11/1/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Very true and thanks for the news and links

Yeah if that Damn did burst it would be sooo much worse than what we are seeing now. Although i think that is under control. That is why they are allowing controlled releases of water.

Apparently the amount of water entering that damn every hour is equal to 2x Sydney Harbour!!

But they are releasing water to make sure it does not burst. The last new update i saw stated it was at 140% capacity. Thats alot of water!!

Although the fact they are releasing water is actually adding strain downstream and making things worse. however it doesnt compare to what would happen if the damn did actually burst, but i highly doubt that they would let that happen.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

They might not have a choice, the spillway can only release so much. If the water flow exceeds the spillway capacity then the dam will fill past capacity and start to top over.

The dam is at 173% according to this....

au.news.yahoo.com...

Wivenhoe Dam is already at 173 per cent and levels are rising. Its maximum capacity is 225 per cent.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
***Breaking News***

Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley flash floods death toll now at 13, after five more bodies found, dozens still missing

FIVE more bodies have been found in the Lockyer Valley, taking the area's death toll to 13.

Residents in low lying areas of the Lockyer and Brisbane Valleys are being urged to leave their homes as more heavy storms sweep the area.
Queensland Health has advised residents in Toowoomba, Gayndah, Mundubbera, Somerset, Dalby and Condamine to boil their water before drinking it.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Wow... yeah it changes every hour, the last update i saw on live TV news was 140% about 2 hours ago. 173% thats not good!

although it doesnt make sense in some ways... you would think 100% is capacity, so then wouldnt 140% or 173% be above capacity??

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I think the 100% refers to it's capacity without having to use the spillway - anything over 100% gets sent downriver.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Live online news via Bigpond News TV:

bigpondvideo.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Edited it out,maybe a little too much.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Shenon because: Deleted

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Thanks for the link, I was scouring the net looking for a feed because my TV is broken lol.

Bloody Telstra though.....oh well a feeds a feed....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Yes i agree whole heartedly that i hope to god that damn doesnt break and for the record there is no talk of that and i dont think that will happen. The people that control the Damn know it's limits and if they have to release extra water they will. Even know this will make the flooding worse, it doesnt compare to what will happen if the damn does burst...

However i dont think it will effect plate activity... thats only my opinion and nothing to back it up but flooding and surface activity related to what's happening shouldnt effect plate activity as far as i know....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

awww Telstra isnt that bad... i am biased as i work for Telstra Business lol. But yeah Bigpond Media is pretty good.

Oh and im not posting the Bigpond links as a plug for them but they are good for online live news outside of normal news hours.

Sky News is good as well

www.skynews.com.au...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join