It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of canadian teens think america is evil

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I as an American would be more than happy to come up North and help out if Canada needed it.

and vice versa my brother if I felt it was in my interests to do so (as it would be for you). Sometimes you have to let your big brother get a bloody nose because you don't like it when he is a bully, but when he is nice you love him. Only you wish he was nice more often.

Why, they are sent here to America, the place they hate so much.

Those people go to america for economic reasons, not ideological. And if you read your history carefully and extensively you will realise that in many instances where many of you were though in public school that someone or some country asked for your help the truth is that in many cases the conflict was caused by the US blindly pursuing its interest.

America was founded by people who were sick of taking orders from other counties.

Yes. But now you take orders from your government, your mass media and your schools while other countries take economically veiled and some less veiled orders from your government. Instead of meeting it with disbelief, Do something. What happened to those people we read about in history books. The people not the elite. Where are they now?

[edit on 7/7/2004 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by undergrounddaily
Who cares what a bunch of weed-smoking(not that there is anything wrong with that according to www.potstar.com) anarchist punks in Canada think about the US. Maybe they want to challenge our 14-18 year olds to a little war in 3 or 4 years. Canada has some oil fields as well as diamond fields, plus canadian bacon.....ummmmmmm canadian bacon, so I am all for a premptive strike against Canada. You heard it, they hate us. Could be just breeding future terrorists. We should take them out now.

[sarcasm=10]This just reeks of maturity. Its basically saying: YEA! IM AN IMMATURE MINDED TEENAGER ANGRY AT EVERYTHING! LETS KICK THEIR ***![/sarcasm]

Anyways, I'm an American, and I'm not at all surprised Candians think this. If fact, I would be surprised if most of the worlds "youth" thought this. Furthermore, I wouldnt be surprised if *gasp* Americas youth thought this. AS for the Canadians thinking it, the cliche reason of them being jealous isn't probably as far from the truth as comedians (and people in general) make it out to be. Same goes for the rest of the world, youthful or otherwise. Then theres the fact the US is becoming an International Imperialistic Poice Force (the IIPF), something which I myself do not want to be a part of. I have a German freind and he says most of the political minded youth of the EU do not agree with the US' policies. When we grow up, will there be problems between our countries becasue of the decisions of the idiot(s) in office today? Lets hope not.

[edit on 7/7/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's good that you are not afraid of an invasion by China, but you are not afraid because you are next to the USA and there is absolutely no chance of that example occuring. Just because you are not afraid doesn't mean that China would not destroy Canada in a war. I don't know of many people who would even argue that Canada would stand a chance.

When did America invade Canada? I am a little rusty on my American history and I do not recall those wars with Canada.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The war of 1812 was one of them. Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario played a major role in defeating the US. Laura Secord was one of the heros who's name survives today thanks to a chocolate confectionary chain.

Oh yeah. if it helps we were known as "the British" back then.

[edit on 7/6/2004 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
ats should take over the US and uncorrupterize or decorrupt or discorrupt it. we should force people to deny ignorance.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Honestly, I could care less what 100% of Canadian teenagers think.

thanks,
Adult Male from the United States of America

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Gools: I can agree with some of the things you are saying. But when Americans hear comments like 40% of *insert country* think that the USA is evil, Americans wonder about the common sense of that country. America has about 300 million citizens and each person wants something different out of life. There is no such thing as an American voice. We have many diverse people each wanting something different out of the country. There is a divide in America right now over politics and leadership and I really believe there will be a change in leadership in this next election.

You seem like a reasonable person. I would bet that if we were neighbors in real life that you would not hate me.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepidWe have been attacked twice, by America, repulsed them both times. We are not afraid of China attacking us, if they did, the result would be the same. We fight when we have to, chill, when we have to. As a people we won't take it. BTW, the only military we're worried about is America's.

no, it was only once, the war of 1812, and not worried about china? sure you could fight but eventually you would be over run(if alone) unless you got some awesome generals, without the US navy or UK navy you would be blockaded into submission and swamped by chinese on land, no way you could win, canada just doesnt have the numbers or military budget to sustain such a war on its own.

seriously its paranoid to worry about the US military, no american would allow our government to harm canada, not a single american soldier would follow such orders to invade canada and every american would be against it, the government might be aggressive but it isnt THAT stupid.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I thought that the war of 1812 was America declaring war on Great Britain because after the Revolutionary War the British would not leave the Great Lakes region? The war was not with Canada. America was not trying to take over Canada. America wanted to British to go home. Why would Canada side with Britain during this war?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

When did America invade Canada? I am a little rusty on my American history and I do not recall those wars with Canada.

The war of 1812 was one of them. Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario played a major role in defeating the US. Laura Secord was one of the heros who's name survives today thanks to a chocolate confectionary chain.

[edit on 7/6/2004 by Gools]

Yeah, and this...

Is why your example doesn't count. You were nothing but a colony of the phat Royal Family. At least we had the backbone to break away sooner than you. If you want to throw out tripe...throw out tripe that makes you look good.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Have we even broken away from Britain yet? :

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't see your reasoning in saying that the illusion of the past is controlling our present? Could you explain? Trust me brother our borders aren't that carefully guarded.
Here's a thought for everyone..Why do they even do these types of polls? What purpose due they serve? I love going to Montreal, and Toronto for vacation. Although, Toronto people were kind of snotty. Try seeing things through our eyes alittle. EVERYDAY, we have to here things like this. It is disheartening to the average citizen. Here we are, going along, thinking we are doing good for the world, when infact everyone supposedly hates us? Well thats sucks. I know you say you are only making a judgment on things you have witnessed, but on some level you have already made that judgement about all of us in general....So, it is up to each individual to come up and visit to change your mind? I get of at midnight, be there in time for breakfast?

[edit on 7/6/2004 by bobafett1972]

link   
So don't believe it. It's just a poll. Don't let it get to you. You must know how polls are taken, spun, based on formulas and statistics (remember the quote) so don't put any stock into them. Most Canadians are torn between admiration and that sort of sad and humble emotion a grandparent expresses when tut-tutting a youngster.

... and I really believe there will be a change in leadership in this next election.

Agreed and I hope you are right. But I don't see much difference between cola red and cola blue in American politics. Both are to the right of Canadian political sentiment.

I would bet that if we were neighbors in real life that you would not hate me.

Why would I hate you. So far, you have demonstrated yourself to be a thoughful and reasonable person. I do not hate you. Again you are taking things personally. The comments are meant for others.

link   
in the war of 1812 we were invaded by the british and they burned down the white house.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

seriously its paranoid to worry about the US military, no american would allow our government to harm canada, not a single american soldier would follow such orders to invade canada and every american would be against it, the government might be aggressive but it isnt THAT stupid.

Hearing something like that from an american citizen is refreshing and reassuring.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
"you start walkin your way, and I start walkin mine
we'll meet in the middle at the Canada/US line
differences aside,we both give in a little
thats what allies do, they meet in the middle.....

Just thought I'd twist up a country tune, to relay what I have seen in this thread. It's good we have ATS to vent (if this would have happened at a bar it coulda got real ugly lol)

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
bobafett

I was trying to get accross the idea that americans go around thinking that they only do good because of their view of their own history. Something like Howard Zinn's "A people's history of America" is enough to wake anybody up.

You said "our borders aren't that carefully guarded".

Because most of your military is spread out in over 150 countries in some 800 military bases. This is supported by the largest military budget in the world outspending the next 12 countries combined! What is your government up to? You disbelieve that your country could be hated but seriously, what is your military and CIA doing all over the world?

Many americans, especially your politicians NEVER even try to the at the answer of WHY? There are many legitimate grievances out there, and dismissing them as anti-american (never met an anti-canadian or any anti-insert name here) does not address them.

So do some serious research and find out WHY. Then do something about it. You can'yt make people in the world like you by buying them off or threatening them. The answer is to stand up for your principles and defend others from injustice and unfairness.

I have a tanker of mapple syrup in the backyard!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I thought that the war of 1812 was America declaring war on Great Britain because after the Revolutionary War the British would not leave the Great Lakes region? The war was not with Canada. America was not trying to take over Canada. America wanted to British to go home. Why would Canada side with Britain during this war?

no, warhawks in the government wanted to expand into the north, many didnt support such action either but the warhawks pushed for it anyways and it was a dumb thing to do, economically and militarily.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Canada WAS Britain (and France) back then. We became a country in 1867 with the passing of the British North America Act.

We became independent through diplomacy. Yeah, its boring, but a lot less bloody.

[edit on 7/6/2004 by Gools] Excessive quoting

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by jsobecky
Canadians should practice what they preach in this regard, especially when it comes to the definition of an ally.

So, if our PM decides to go to war against Sweden, you're going to be there?

No, intrepid I wasn't talking about Sweden or Iraq. I was referring to an attitude held by many Canadians when it comes to watching each other's back, as an ally should do.
From the thread "Above Top Secret 3.1 � ATSNN.com TerrorAnalysis.com � TA-THREATS: 'THEY ARE HERE' - U.S. Warns Of Al Qaeda Threat This Summer" here are a few responses from our Canadian "allies":

From Faisca:
quote:
My question is, how the hell did they get in here in the first place? Where's Homeland Security on this one? How come all of our beefed up efforts to stop terrorism havent stopped them from coming into our country?

from me
I love our neighbors to the north, but their immigration policies and borders are like sieves.

And a terrorist can walk over the southern border, if he/she chooses. Right past Ft. Huachuca

The first response came from you, intrepid

from intrepid
Also, while agreeing that our open door policy sucks, these are still OUR borders. If you're so concerned, beef up yours

Several from Lukefj

Last I checked it was a shared border...not our fault you don't watch who comes into your country more carefully. Sure we are more lenient than the US....mainly because we aren't fear mongers up North...we don't fear everything that is different and, in turn, others don't feel the need (atleast as much) to target us in their attacks.
Catch a clue...we are your only neighbour to the north. It is not our immigration policies that let terrorists into your country, it was yours. Don't blame...take responsibility.
You were implying that it was Canada's fault for letting terrorists into the US. First of all, it is your responsibility to keep undesirables out of your country. So don't worry about our policies...we don't have the problem...you do.

finally from cargo

Who Canada lets into their country is their business. Who America fails to stop from entering their country is their problem. Take some responsibility for your own failures. You seem to be always blaming someone else.

These are not the attitudes or concerns of an ally, or a neighbor. So excuse us while we tell you what to do with your polls.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join