It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of canadian teens think america is evil

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
its simple to me , Americans are good ,The American Government is evil .

[edit on C:Friocu11e11 by Opus]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
opus
Last I checked the American government is primarily composed of Americans.

It's a mistake to draw some fundamental line in the sand between politicians and people. Politicians, though sometimes it's hard to tell, are people. They are you and I, with a little bit of power that's gone to their head. They make decisions just like you and I. Sometimes they're smart and strong, sometimes they're foolish and weak.

I hate politicians, don't get me wrong.

But they're not the only problem in this country..it's the apathy of the citizens that allows such 'evil' to flourish.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
slink

As leaders of the world, America should be setting a good example. Unfortunately, over the past 5 years, they have not.

Uhmm...

The past five years? History tells us differently. This country hasn't changed at all since it was founded. We've had a FEW bright spots, but most of American history is nothing more than the sum of its wars.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
opus
Last I checked the American government is primarily composed of Americans.

It's a mistake to draw some fundamental line in the sand between politicians and people. Politicians, though sometimes it's hard to tell, are people. They are you and I, with a little bit of power that's gone to their head. They make decisions just like you and I. Sometimes they're smart and strong, sometimes they're foolish and weak.

I hate politicians, don't get me wrong.

But they're not the only problem in this country..it's the apathy of the citizens that allows such 'evil' to flourish.

I don't care what others think of Me myself!
But as for my country

We need a new press agent! All we seem to get is bad press. The Bushes now have this sorry I droped the ball thing going on now and they are like what can you do to me. We seem to sit on the sidelines and bit*& about it, and get up and home.
Are We Men or Mice here?
As for Canadian teens, they will grow out of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Does it really matter what canadian teens think?

Nope. They haven't lived long enough, nor learned enough, to
form any viable opinions about politics or the world. I'm sure
that their 'opinions' are also formed by reading the radically
liberal anti-American press up there, (truth and facts be damned)
not to mention watching their favorite MTV type musicians
and Hollywood stars spout illogical anti-Americanisms.
At that age - the teen years - they have as idols people
like Britney Spears instead of those of great character
and purpose - such as Abraham Lincoln and Rosa Parks.

That number rose to 64 per cent for French Canadian youth.

Geee ... someone with a 'French' heritage hating America.
Whoda' thought?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Considering I am raising a Canadian teen, (she is of the 60 percent who don't think America is evil) I can pretty much vouch, by some of the comments of her classmates that a large portion of the 40- percent is made up from families of middle east immigration. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is the truth. Most of these teenagers are influenced by their parents views until they grow older and as they age come to realize like most of us, our parents are not always right. What I thought was funny is how some American teens think we are one of their states, what a joke considering our country is BIGGER than theirs. Maybe some of our kids are confused about the state of the world(who isn't?) but I'm pretty sure almost 100 percent of them know that the United States is not a PROVINCE of Canada.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Nope. They haven't lived long enough, nor learned enough, to
form any viable opinions about politics or the world

So just because there not old, they cant have viable opinions about serious things like politics or world events?

That's a large quantity of bovine waste products.

Just because someone isnt a few decades old, does not mean they are not intelligent or knowledgable (two different things by the way).

I myself am 17, and I have a very good opinions about politics, the world and the events happening in it and other things.

In fact I could do a better job ruling most of the world than the older people who do that now.
And just so people dont think I'm being conceded or some such, I've had more than one "adult" tell me that.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm British and live in French Canada and I can tell you that most Canadians (Quebecoise) I meet are about as 'anti-american' as Jon Stewart. No one hates American's up here. What they hate is the current admin.

I wished I'd put money on Bush being indicted when he got re-elected. Anyone know if odds are being offered?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
60% of Western Canadians think central Canada is evil but then "they" control the media. (Central Libs that is). Therefore all the negative crap coming out of so called Canada is really coming from Quebec & Ontario.
Western Canadians love Americans.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The Impossible Dream

We've had a FEW bright spots, but most of American history is nothing more than the sum of its wars.

In fairness, that is a trait which is by no means unique to the U.S.

As with the history of any nation or civilization, the question of beauty or beastliness can be answered only by the beholder.

When you find a nation whose history consists entirely of "bright spots", be sure to let me know.

Heck, I might even move there.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Uhmm...

The past five years? History tells us differently. This country hasn't changed at all since it was founded. We've had a FEW bright spots, but most of American history is nothing more than the sum of its wars.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by WyrdeOne]

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last time I checked, the history of every friggin country on this planet is the sum of its friggin wars. Name a single country that during its existance, wasnt involved in a string of wars over this BS or that BS, whether for power, religon, ideas, resources, or just plain spite.

Since every country on this planet has during their histories shed blood over stupid reasons, I fail to see how America is worse or different from those who sit on their high horses ignoring the stink of horse# coming from the dungheap that is their own history.

No one is perfect. There are no innocents. All people of the world, including the so called "noble savage" (no such thing) has blood of innocents and crimes against decency on their hands.

Of course, then again, America bashing seems to be a sport that the world never tires of. I think its actually theraputic. Irresponsible people need someone to blame for all the problems that surround them. People always do this. So America is now the world's blame beast. Its easy to blame us for all the evil in the world, even though it was started long before the New World was even an itch in some conquistador's britches.

If it makes everyone feel better, I dont see why they should not continue.

Its not like Americans ever really cared what the world thought of us, and even less likely such opinions reach our ears.

Isolation and ignorance can be bliss when worked for a distinct advantage.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
So just because there not old, they cant have viable
opinions about serious things like politics or world events?

That's right. They haven't lived long enough to experience
things. They haven't learned enough about politics, the economy,
life in general. They are still under the influence of the opinions
of their reigning family and their peer group whom they wish to
impress. I stand by my statement. Generally, teens don't know
enough to be politically savy or viable.

I myself am 17, and I have a very good opinions
about politics, the world and the events happening in it
and other things.

Frankly, Iori, you are an EXCEPTION rather than the norm.
I find the fact that you are capable of having an intelligent
political discussion at your age to be both amazing and
refreshing.

However, the fact remains that almost all of your age peers
are not politically viable and are not nearly as capable as
you are in these areas. So when a survey comes out that
says 40% of teens think a certain country is evil ... that
survey is dismissable except to point out the fact that they
are uneducated on the subject and haven't got a clue as
to what they are spouting about.

[edit on 11/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
erm, maybe the majority of them dont believe in war...
I can understand americans being hostile towards this, but to be honest, its your president thats the power freak and its your supermarkets that sell shotguns....with ammo...

40% is lower than i thought

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well, America is not evil. America was always a wonderful country, giving, a great place to be.
These teenagers are judging things by the way they are TODAY. They need to study our history before they can judge.

Just because we have a potus ruling today...thats a passing thing. The elections were stolen
yadda yadda....
When we return to normal with a real president, they will all be scrambling to come live here again. Heck, they are all scrambling to come in now, as crazy as it is.!
I think the citizens will learn by their mistakes.
If we survive this, we will once again be the most desirable nation place to be!

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

They need to study our history before they can judge.

:

Um, last i checked, american history wasnt to great either. i can seem to remeber slavery, segregation, and the small fact that they stole the land from the native americans who where there first. america has always been evil, it's just turned into less "in your face" evil. instead of cross burnings, we have election stealing....both are equally as evil if you ask me..

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I meant all the good America and Americans have done. If you're going to split hairs the same could be said for other nations back when the human race was anything but human.

America is great. Its just temporarily out of order.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
U.S.A. are having growing pains. They just need to get rid of the things that pull down America. Canada is also young, but down to cultural factors they are probebly alright...ish. Perhaps it's the culture of America which they dislike so much.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Last time I checked, the history of every friggin country on this planet is the sum of its friggin wars. Name a single country that during its existance, wasnt involved in a string of wars over this BS or that BS, whether for power, religon, ideas, resources, or just plain spite.

Can you pick out the part of my post where I made the claim that America was worse than every other country on the face of the earth?

Of course you can't, because it aint there.

My point was exactly the one you're making. How funny that you failed to recognize that fact.

No one is perfect.

True.

There are no innocents.

False.

Of course, then again, America bashing seems to be a sport that the world never tires of.

Don't forget French bashing. That's a real popular one on the other side of the great divide...

I thought it was clear what point I was trying to make, but I'm now unsure.

American exceptionalism was, and is still today, a disease that infects this country. I'm sure it infects other countries as well, but that isn't relevant to this discussion.

The question is why do 40% of Canadian teens think America is evil. The answer is because America is, in no small part, quite evil. We talk about freedom, and equality, while at the same time perpetuating distinct classes and a system of wage slavery. Combine that with wars of agression and covert actions in foreign nations to neutralize dissenting voices and install puppet regimes to the detriment of the natives, and general decency, well, that's a nasty picture being painted isn't it?

Ever since this country was founded on a doctrine of all men created equal, there's been stinking hypocrisy all over us. Yeah, everyone was equal, except blacks and women and jews and the mentally handicapped and the natives and immigrants.

You know one thing they still don't teach in history class? The fact that the Nazi party was wildly popular in America before and during the second world war. That's the stinking, raw, red meat of the truth. This country IS NO BETTER. American exceptionalism, manifest destiny, it's nothing more than Hitlerian ideology in a different wrapper.

All I sought to do with my earlier post was pop that sickly little bubble of pride.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by slink
Why I, a Canadian at the age of 20, think America is evil.

1. Their Culture of Consumption
2. Their Culture of Convenience
3. Their Foreign Affairs
4. Their support of "evil" dictatorships in Latin and South America because of American TNCs
5. Their neo-con created War on Terror
6. Their inability to follow the "free-trade" regulations they created for the world
7. Their disregard for the environment and their oil driven economy.

and now we can add to the list because of this thread

8. The general arrogance and ignorance of its population. Although, this is more likely a product of their educational system and mass media, therefore it is not directly the population's fault.

Like I have already said, we think don't think America is evil because of the wars the wage. The main problem is the reasons they go to war.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm going to respond mostly to the first post as I fear I am coming into this discussion rather late but I get tired of defending my homeland against people who think it's "evil"

Lets get one thing straight, the term "evil" is a subjective term whose meaning changes based on the moral background of the person making the statement. A devout Christian might see premarital sex as evil where as a devout Muslim may see visual representation of anything on earth as evil. To declare that you must apoloigize, and more over, to assume that you are wrong because some one says your actions are evil is entirely illogical. In their eyes America first started being "evil" when it started looking out for it's own interests, but can we really expect the US government to give two hoots about the opinion of Canada, a country where 99% of the population lives within 100 miles of the US border?

Secondly, and more importantly, the vast majority of 14-18 year old people I meet are at best poorly informed as to world events or the history of their own country. Here in the states most teenagers will have trouble naming 5 presidents, naming one of their representatives or even showing you on a map where their capital is. I think it is too much to ask to believe that these teenagers would have a strong understanding of world economic affairs, political agendas, globalism or any other topic that they believe makes us "evil". I think that, more than anything, this survey would simply reflect what the current media bias is and I would be loathe to defend my own great country from the opinion of a 14 year old (somthing which I've gained experience doing on the internet).

I am growing rather tired of hearing how bad America is when someone compares it's actions to their own regional morality. Every country has it's own agenda, but not all countries have the resources, money and power to actually enforce it's agenda on other countries. There is no doubt in my mind that given the proper resources any country can give birth to a morally bankrupt war monger. America is not about keeping up appearances so we'll be invited to tea in Canada, it's about securing the future for the American people, sometimes at the expense of other people. Sure, that might sound "evil" and at times it is, but that is the inheirant problem with any form of government.

There is no absolute "evil" nor an absolute "good". The suicide bombers in the middle east believe wholeheartedly that they are doing the right thing. "Evil" is simply the comparison of another's actions to your own moral rule book and often times is a term used to justify morally questionable actions. The Nazis thought the Jews were "evil".

It is a sad state of affairs when we take the vague opinion of a poorly informed 14 year old and use it to judge our own actions. I wonder why we feel the need to do so? The desire to be well liked by everyone is typically American but I think it goes deeper than that. I think that the war for our attention being waged in the mass media has lead us to question even our own beliefs for fear of social ostracization and that politcal correctioness and the ever present fear of offending someone who hardly knows we exist has taken away our backbone. If a 14 year old Canadian believes himself to be in a position to judge my actions by his own morality and make a broad sweeping and vague comment about this country as a whole then so be it. I don't think I'm going to be losing much sleep over it.

The only true evil in the world is the inability to think for yourself, you accept evil when you accept ignorance and allow others to think for you. If you allow a 14 year old from another country to think for you it's not only evil it's stupid. Perhaps when they grow up and get a job, then lose it to someone who doens't speak the language but works for half price I'll listen to their opinion, when they have a family to feed and bills to pay, I'll listen. Until then I'd suggest they pop in another Celine Dion cd and leave American politics to the Americans.

This report hardly ranks above "soft news" in my book and I think it was a terrible waste of resources. Instead of distracting their readers the paper could have put a few reporters on the trail of corruption in their own government. All governments are corrupt, it is mathematically impossible to save your way into riches and power. Anyone who has power has at one point in their life performed morally questionable actions to achieve their position of power. Given that fact it is easy to see why they will perform morally bankrupt actions to keep their position of power. The ladder you climb is built on the pain and suffering of good, honest, hard working people.

If you ask me then any form of society that offers a way for someone to place themselves above their fellow man is "evil", especially when it is based off of objects, systems, or positions created by the society itself. Power, money, fame, "evil", "good", none of it truly exists and is all a distraction, when the 14 year olds in Canada realize this then I will join with them, until then I suggest they turn off the tv and read a good book. And not some mental masturbation like Robert Ludlum, for goodness sake read somthing worthwhile.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join