It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers Need Not Apply

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I wouldn't even come close to being over their limit...and I bet that I would be more at risk of costing them money than someone who is over the weight limit a little bit!
for some reason, I think that the "obesity epidemic" isn't gonna turn out so well for those of us who are really underweight and have to work at just gaining a few pounds to stay healthy! they're probably gonna starve us to death.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I am not over their limit, but I find it to be a bit disturbing that they go through an employees' medical records. They try little things that they think are slick. Every so often we are issued new N-95 masks that we wear into the rooms of patients with TB. As they were issuing them the lady asked me my height and weight. I looked at her and said, "I can sort of see your point on the weight part, as it may effect how a mask seals if people are obese. However, how tall a person is has no god damn bearing on how that mask is going to fit."

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I was just pointing out, that sometimes, being underweight can be just as unhealthy as being overweight...so why aren't they raising those insurance premiums also?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I imagine that with the Cleveland Clinic it's all about image. While being underweight is unhealthy, it it's extreme, the people that are overweight, in my opinion, are an embarrassment to the clinic.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I am a smoker and find this to be utter BS. I mean I dont mind not being able to smoke AT work but when Im home or driving it is my choice. This is almost as bad as some companies checking credit scores for employment.

I think that smokers should be given benefits. I spends at least 7 bucks per day to smoke. So on average that is over 200 bucks a month, which most of goes to taxes. So in a way smokers pay more taxes than a non smoker. By paying more taxes more roads and such get built giving everyone a higher quality of life.

So I say make the non-smoker deal with it because we smokers contribute more to our country.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It seems fair enough to me, if you smoke cannabis you can't get a job so why not blacklist tobacco users too? Individual liberties are so 20th century.
edit on 23-12-2010 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Steroids have been shown to increase muscle growth and athletic performance too.
So?

2nd so?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
Why a blood test?

edit on 23-12-2010 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

This makes me wonder if the trustees of that hospital own stock for a company that does blood test for nicotine. Drug testing labs are cash cows.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Would appear to me that this Hospital in question is just asking for a civil law suit. Where in the Constitution does it say a person cannot smoke pending employment? It doesn't, just another attempt to discriminate and control.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Just to play Devil's advocate....
With every job/contract i've ever had I always noticed that smokers are the worst employees, I mean the majority of them are consistently the worst.

Too many cigarette breaks, smokers take way more breaks than non-smokers.

Even forget the office, I had contractors come to my house and do some renovation work, friggin every 20 minutes they took a cigarette break.

But it's an invasion of privacy though right, you guys have the freedom of smoking rat poison don't you?

But it's not an invasion for life insurance papers though or home insurance eh?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I've been wondering about the worldwide drive to ban and limit smoking.

Call me cynical, but I'm sure the motive isn't really concern for the population's health !

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

I am sure you have heard of chantex? I have been a smoker for um 30ys started at 14 now 44 and this drug worked. I had to listen to my sister, wife, kids, and everyone else about my quitting. The first time I used it, it did not work, I think it is because I just was not serious enough. The second time it worked, I could tell when it was time to take the next dose because I would start to crave a smoke. After taking the med. the craving would go away. I think if you try it, you will find it will work, but only if you really want to quit.
edit on 12/23/10 by xyankee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Don't you think people should have a choice ?

In most other area's of life we have choices yet there seems to be a persecution for smokers. why ?

Here in the UK we have not seen any job discrimination against smokers yet but if America is starting to do this then yes we soon will see this.

The political powers that be here in the UK are now starting to make drinking alcohol a socially unacceptable enjoyment.

I give it 5 years and drinking and smoking will be banned everywhere, even in your own homes, cars etc !
How will they regain that lost tax ?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
People should have a choice. More and more, government and big business are dictating how we are to live our lives. I am beginning to believe this is just part of the winnowing out process. Those people that are viable workers and those that are not. Those that are willing to conform and those that are not willing. I believe it's going to be increasingly difficult to do anything unless you're considered worthy. As far as tobacco use is concerned, smoking the way most people do, well, that's abuse. From a Native American standpoint, considering we're the one's who introduced the first Europeans to tobacco use. My grandmother who is a nonsmoker says we abuse it. That it was never intended to be used the way we use it. Traditionally, we pray with it,(say a prayer, throw tobacco in the fire) and we smoke it in what some would call "peace pipes." We use the pipe to pray with, we fill the pipe with tobacco and offer it to the four directions, light it and pass it around the circle, each person takes a puff and passes it on. Our prayers go up with the smoke to the skyworld where the Creator hears them. Personally, I smoke, I wouldn't ever quit for a job.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If you are the owner of the company I say its your choice.Smoking is a personal choice unlike skin colour, gender, cultural background, age, sexual orientation and so on. Smoking is bad for the health and health of others, if business chooses to not have smokers or drug addicts its their choice. I would personally do the same thing. Smokers often smell like cigarettes and that is not a pleasant smell and for some one who has asthma walking outside around smokers is very painful to me and to other asthmatics.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just don't get it. If, like a lot of people are saying, a business should have the right to hire who they want, because they are a private business (sorry getting away from the hospital for a second), and the government won't step in, why then can they dictate other aspects of a business? Seems to me it should be an all or nothing kind of deal.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I just watched a documenatary, big or something its called, all about steroids, arnold schwarzzennegar, the olimpics, and hormone pills. Turns out, in the 50's? at an olympic event, USA vs russia, in weightlifitng, the russian coah had too mucht o drink, and accidentally told the USA manager, he gae his boys steroids* afterlearning that, it started to become a market, mostly synthetical steroids, stronger than what the russinas had.
now, it is illegal to buy steroids...but on the documentary, he siad it was easy, in a sense. all you gotta do, is go to a lpastic surgeon or some docotor like that, and tell em yuo have a hormone deficiency. he/she will msot likely get you on something then* wrtie a prescription. just like that. theirs a website he mentioned, maddog.com which ive never gone too. i guess yuo can buy em thier, or others go to mexico. becuase in mexico, steroids are sold at the local pet vet markets. anyone asks anything, oh yeah my dog has mumps or something* thats all you gotta say. thiers always a loophole*
I dont do steroids, and no desire too. they also mentioned, on men, synthetic steroids, which are really hormones..not actually steroids* the side effects. testicle shrinkage, decrease or temporary sperm production, but once yuor off roids, yuor normal agian. less than 5% of the steroid user have roid rage* and in men, hormones injected or pill, can cause whats called 'bitch tits' pardon the pun* but its what its called at the gym. muscualr chest muscles that sag, and well use your imagination...
thats what i learned!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
As for smoking unfortuantly i am an addict. i smoke a pack a day, im 35 and have been doing so sicne i was 18. ive lost 2 parents, both 60 to lung cancer, and my fathers mother, back in 89, she was like 72 it hink.lung cancer and life supoprt before having the plug pulled. it takes self dedication and commitment to want to stop smoking. i am not a beliver in nicotine gum* for the same money i can get the real deal, ciggarettes* after loosing 2 parents, of course i was VERY angry at the cigg companys...nictoine is 5 times more addictive than heroin. and a recent news special i watched 3 weeks ago, like channel 4 or 5, even a docotr said ciggs are knwon to conatine over 4,000 ingridients!!! formaldyahyde, licorice, ammonia, nitrates, chocolate, ect..the cigg comapnys not all fo them, spen millions yearly, to find ways so yuo stay hooked* via taste. the nicotine,d oes the rest. nicotine is less addicitve when chewed. i mean, right off the lant* not chewing tobacco, for the record.
This haas come up before, companys not hiring you becuase yuo smoke. its arrognet, and not the person going for the job, technically his/her fault, being nicotine is that addictive. The FEDS make alot of tax money off ciggs too. but for a company to say hey you smoke LEGAL items, its not okay, but its okay too kill your liver with booze at work is ok* its really, profesional half ass backwards thinking. i can understand not allowing smoking inside the place* but outside is another thing. and coming from a hospitol, somone should dig up thier garbage track record...see how many bags of bio hazard needels and gloves they might have paid someone to dump in a nearby lake or ocean. a freind of mine years ago, witnessed a small delilvery truck pull up near a beach here, and dump4 big blue bags. after it left, he was curious and oepned thebags witha friend. their were medical grade needles , cotton swabs, blue latex gloves in thier, some blood, not much. since he learned medical stuff in the marines...loked like a nearby hospitol didnt want too pay for disposal* get it?
point? they dont wanna hire over a legal comodoty, yet it might have been ok for them to illegaly dump bio hazards into a nearby drinking water supply or something. something to think about
and use agianst them

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is sort of ridiculous. It doesn't effect how you do your job like alcohol or other narcotics, and if you don't smoke on company grounds, it's a simple and blatant invasion of privacy.

What's next? A company can refuse to hire me because they don't approve of everything that I eat? They can refuse to hire me because of where I live? Because of what brand of car that I drive?
edit on 23-12-2010 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

For certain things actually they can, its called a company image I worked at one place and in my contract should I represent the company negatively while on contract I could be terminated pending the severity meaning If i were caught drinking excessively, doing drugs, involved in any activities where I could be potentially seen by a client of the company I could loose my job.

Even though your on your own time you still work for a company and they must present a proper image. I see nothing wrong with that. Its just good business.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join