It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers Need Not Apply

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cycondra

No I would not hire you. Not because you are African american. . I really could give a *SNIP* less if you are black white yellow or brown (forgive me if I left any of you out). If you cost me more to employ than any other qualified person you will simply not get the job. Simple math: If I have to to pay you more than you make...you are not worth it.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 12/23/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Bah.. Kichigai gaijin.. Glad they dont have that idiocy here in asia.. Would be riots asians are some of the heaviest smokers in the world.. Funny we also live longer than westerners even though we smoke.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

This is becoming common. I understand this all, from an employers viewpoint and a company that plays the health insurance game.

Meanwhile.......................

This ain't the world that my daddy and friends, during WWII, envisioned. Thanks to them! The rest of you? lol fill in the blank and have fun with it all!

Just saying........................

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm a smoker and our local hospital which is one of the Presbatearian(sp?) hospitals, also does not hire smokers.

As myself being an independent contractor and employer, I believe that it is my right to hire whomever I want just as it is their right to hire whom they would want.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady

Steroids have been shown to increase muscle growth and athletic performance too.

Yes. While this is true, steriods are illegal, unless prescribed, and doctors will tell patients that prolonged use is dangerous to a persons health. aren't. It affects the cardio-vascular system with sometimes irreversible damage. The same way steroids will make muscles grow, it also makes the heart grow. An extra large heart under the stress and confines of it's location will cause premature cardiac arrest.

Nicotine is a very deadly chemical also. 1 gram has the potential to kill a 100 grown men.

In my previous post, which I failed to check, I posted this article. In the previous post I didn't correctly do something so here it is.
Nicotine Improves Memory And Helps Brain Repair Itself

Everything, even the over ingestion of water, has the potential to kill you. Steroids can be abused more readily than nocotine. That's why there are laws controlling its use. Nicotine, on the other hand, is not so easy to abuse. Have you ever tried to ingest the nicotine equivalence of 2-3 cigarettes? You get extremely nauseated and your heartrate increases dramatically. Scary situation.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
You know what I noticed on a job application a few months ago that I have never seen it had a yes/no question if you were a smoker...

I smoke but I put no anyways, it's none of their business.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

How did this turn into s debate about steroids?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
Smoking cigarettes is far from a personal decision. The tobacco that we smoke (I unfortunately am a smoker) is far removed from its unmodified counterpart. It has been genetically modified to be more addictive. Its now being laced with sugar - to make it more addictive. I personally have accomplished lots of great things in my life. Things I never believed I could do. But I can not quit smoking to save my life. It's the hardest thing I've ever tried and failed to do. I am extremely protective of my civil liberties, and I don't believe prohibition of any drug\substance will ever work (violates the law of supply and demand) but I can honestly say I am not sad to see this. I wish my boss would tell us we all had to quit smoking cigarettes. USMC boot camp is the only time in Ive quit smoking since I started and that was only for 3 months. The military was starting to crack down on it though right before I got out in 07. Cigarettes are just one more tool of control TPTB use against us. The tobacco industry is HUGE. They definitely hold sway over US politics. It's not a personal choice when its a chemical addiction-APPROVED BY THE FDA!!! Its madness!! I Can't Quit. My choice is to quit and I cannot. Maybe thats one choice I'll let someone else make for me.

I know what you mean devil...but believe it or not I smoked my first Cigarette at S.O.I, been trying to stop for 4 years now.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Actually, think of it this way, if you would be so kind to. Someone works at a hospital and smokes at the same time. They go on break, have a smoke, and return to work. Let's say they have an asthma patient and are trying to treat them (it doesn't even have to be for asthma) and if you know a smoker (or are one), you know that you can still have smoke in your lungs and breathe it out for a short while after you put it out. That could cause an asthmatic reaction and put the person you're trying to treat in danger of more illness. It makes sense to me. Plus you've got elderly and children going to hospitals every day and not everyone smokes. I DO apologize because I don't smoke, which means I could be a bit biased here...but I live with smokers and I know for a fact that people adore smoking even tho it kills 'em. Just my two cents though...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Why a blood test?

Why can't they use something similar to the carbon monoxide breathaliser they use on smoking cessation courses?

I can imagine a blood test would produce better results but....

What about the people who have given up smoking and are using nicotine replacement products? Will they not be hired?

Are they really going to be testing for nicotine or are they looking for something a bit worse and using the Smokers are not welcome thing as a ruse, because they can get away with that?

Do some of you really not find this unsettling? Once a few places start to make blood tests mandatory before you are even interviewed, the rest will follow.

Eventually, it won't be just smoking, it will be... we're only going to hire the very healthiest of people judged on these blood tests, the very prime of our Countries, anybody with even a hint of future or hereditary illness can go take a run and jump, they are not welcome here....

.....Sound familiar to you?

edit on 23-12-2010 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The Supreme Court recently ruled that corporations have rights like citizens do, but it seems some have more rights than others. This follows other adds I have seen for employment including "the unemployed need not apply"

This just like drug tests, automatically place guilt on us all. We will ask you questions, and after your finished answering them you must report to have bodily fluids drawn and checked, and you must pass these tests in order to be hired.

Add these to back ground tests, and credit checks. If they could hire based on sex, religion, creed, and race Im sure they would.

Welcome to modern fascism. Where our corporations will direct you how to live. I wonder when they will install video cameras in our homes to insure the integrity of the company, and make sure your living life they way they deem fit.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Well, look at the demographics...

Poor people tend to more prone to smoking than the wealthy. Add this to the reality that most employers perform credit checks already... This all boils down to creating second class citizenship.

I doubt Warren Buffet is going to get ousted if he picks up a pack of Marlboros on his way home. The same goes for most "policy" makers.

This is just another step towards destroying what's left of the middle and polarizing us all into "have" or "have not" categories.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
i am getting off cigarettes with nicotine-gums, so i don't smoke, but i'd be positive in a nicotine test.
how they deal with that ?

Better than ruling out smokers would be giving them support in quitting, especially in a hospital where you aren't allowed to smoke in the first place.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Besides nicotine we must also test body weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, HIV, Blood sugar, genetic history of disease, and not hire anyone over 30 without a special waver of health coverage.....

This is a hospital. Blood is numbered not named so I would not be at all surprised if "nicotine testing" is an excuse to get the blood sample and do all sorts of tests. You can even screen for some types of Cancer. I had the test for colon cancer 15 years ago.

I subscribe to an HR site and I have seen this type of intrusion coming for a long time. I even know a local employer who fires anyone who misses more than two days of work a year. Tough luck if you break a leg or get Mono

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

We have a hospital here that has adopted pretty much the identical policy. The interesting thing is that the upper executives, and administration is exempt from the testing. Blatant double standard.

Anyway it has worked awesome for them. About 20% of their direct patient care providers walked off the job almost immediately, and they are hemorrhaging employees still because workers got the 6 months to shape up ultimatum if they were already employed there. Seems far more people actually use nicotine than check the yes box on a questionaire. All I have to say is don't go to their emergency room on a Friday night. You might spend all weekend their before they can find a nurse or doctor to see you.

I don't forsee their draconian policy lasting too long. They were already short nurses, and techs before the policy. Now they are looking at possibly closing beds/units due to staffing shortages. That in turn looses them money, and when they loose money they start to listen a little bit. So if enough people make the choice to seek employment elsewhere, such policies are counter productive, and get modified eventually. If enough people are willing to be compliant, or simply don't have an issue with the policy they get away with playing big brother.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

It hasn't turned into a debate about steroids, I was replying to your previous post where it sounded like you were comparing the use of steroids to the use of nicotine.

post by ZeroReady

It wasn't my intention to go off topic. There's no comparison between nicotine and steroids. I just wanted to clarify that in my reply to you.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Welcome to capitalism, where a lack of regulation by the government is now resulting in a ridiculous anti-smoking rule that allows your job to tell you what to do when you're not working.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too, tea partiers...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
I completely agree, this is utter discrimination. Furthermore, how would they know who tests positive for nicotine actually smokes? They don't know that Joe might actually use smokeless tobacco, or that maybe Jane uses electronic cigarettes.
This is a horrible, horrible policy. What's next, testing daily for alcohol use?

Like others have said above I agree that they can ban it in their work place, its their house but this is going to far!. how do they know that someone just likes to hang out in nightclubs/pubs etc or people in their family smoke which gives them a positive result through passive inhalation! Stupidity at its finest!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

but, it's such a large leap from...you smoke to you will cost us more, isn't it??

I live in a big city, so, well, I am gonna cost you more when it comes to healthcare, because, well, the smog will increase my chances of getting sick...

if I wear perfume, or burn incense, if I use a wood burning stove, I am gonna cost you more..

if I buy a new trailer to live in...I am gonna cost you more...

if I visit the ymca on a daily basis for a early morning swim, I am gonna cost you more...

if I use teflon coated pans.....I am gonna cost you more...

heck, I am a printer!!! doing my job is gonna cost you more!!!!
I am alive!!! I am gonna cost you more......maybe you should hire a zombie instead?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I am an RN at the Cleveland Clinic. They have been pulling this little stunt since 2006. It has gotten so bad with them that the Cleveland Clinic Police, an actual police force, in fact, the 4th largest in Ohio, has started giving tickets to anyone caught smoking on a sidewalk that is adjacent to the clinic. Nevermind that the sidewalks are Cleveland city property and technically not on the clinic's property.

We get a lot of patients from the Middle East--Saudi royalty, etc.--and they are allowed to smoke right outside the main entrance because of all of the money they bring in to the hospital. I have watched as the CCF police have walked through the cloud of smoke from the Saudi entourage so they could walk up to a poor white man and write him a ticket for smoking on clinic property.

A bit off topic, but recently the Cleveland Clinic has hired a team to go through the "private" medical charts of all employees. If an employees' body mass index is over a certain percentage according to the height and weight listed in their records, that employees' insurance rates are raised.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join