It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

you are exactly right magma like water is a liquid, any scientist who admits the facts of ocean tides, and the now proven fact that eclipses have a noticed effect on earths gravity.
I think can entertain the idea of the sun and moon effect on earth. I have a good thread specifically on that subject that gives good evidence to these facts. and more info comes out almost daily it seems lately.

I just posted in that thread you linked i think my post has relevance here in my analogy of magma flowing like our human Venus system carrying blood throughout our bodies.
edit on 6/6/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
PuterMan is not open minded at all. He's just an old grudge making some crazy stats just to prove nothing's going on at all. (joke of course)

PuterMan is the one that created the Robinesque thread so if someone call him not open minded again I am going to slap him/her with a wooden spoon around the ears.

I'm not convinced our planet cares about years and our stats for every year that starts the first of January every time. I think we should see it differently and enlarge our vision about "period of time" when looking at stats about volcanic activity and earth in general.

What I find a bit odd is the volcanic activity and the "violence" of the eruptions since Eyja worldwide. May be it's normal and we're just better informed now with internet and stuff but I can't recall having seen that kind of activity in my lifetime. (just a thought and feeling)
Same goes for all the "catastrophies" happening around the world in a short lapse of time.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Thank you for you kind remarks!

I'm not convinced our planet cares about years and our stats for every year that starts the first of January every time.

You are so right which is why I have been working on rolling numbers rather than discrete years. A rolling year gives a much better view of things. Currently I am doing 12 months rolling chart for earthquakes as monthly figures, but actually it would be better it if was say 7day periods, that would smooth the curves much better. That is a MASSIVE amount of work but I am working on writing a program to do it for me.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

I know he is. But even the best Scientists close up sometime if their Theory´s are challenged. Just wanted to remind PM not to do that

reply to post by PuterMan

As you suggested,i´m trying to get Data about Volcanic Eruptions and how big they were. Do you know some Sites who have Data about those? Only have this one currently,but i can´t really find a Site which has more Data (i.e. how big the Eruptions were and how much Ash/Material was produced)

Thanks
edit on 7-6-2011 by Shenon because: spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Well I don't know about how much ash etc, but what you probably need to do is to start here and then based on the eruptions in the given year go to the individual details and probably Wikipedia to find out figures on the exact volumes of material.

The problem is that I don't know, and am not sure if you can find out, what the VEI against a long term eruption refers to. Annual? Over the term?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I had a question by PM from BillRose and since it was suggested that I might reply on a thread I am doing so here.

Q:

Ever since this eruption started in Chile, I can't help but see a similarity in the magnitude of eruption of this volcano to that of Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippine's and Pinatubo cooled the planet for a short spell.

Actually, this eruption looks a tad larger in scale than that of Pinatubo. And if the reports are right, the volcano is erupting along a three mile rift!!!

Any idea on the magnitude? VEI ?

Hi, I would actually say that this is more like Eyjafjallajokull as it is a fissure eruption and Eyja was mainly that. I don't know what this one is in VEI yet but probably not very large. Eyja was a VEI 4, and this might end up at that but I doubt it. Take a look at the eruptive history. The last big one was 860 AD and ones since have been quite small.

It certainly is nowhere near Pinatubo in terms of size, and even now is slowing.

Pinatubo was huge!

The 1991 eruption, one of the world's largest of the 20th century, ejected massive amounts of tephra and produced voluminous pyroclastic flows, forming a small, 2.5-km-wide summit caldera whose floor is now covered by a lake.

Source: Smithsonian

It was a VEI 6

As far as the three mile rift goes are you are talking about the fissure rather than the rift? The original reports said the fissure was 6 miles by three miles, but this is the area of the rifting and not of the active fissure.

edit on 7/6/2011 by PuterMan because: 'Cos I am a grumpy old git and make spelling errors, OK?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Shenon

Well I don't know about how much ash etc, but what you probably need to do is to start here and then based on the eruptions in the given year go to the individual details and probably Wikipedia to find out figures on the exact volumes of material.

The problem is that I don't know, and am not sure if you can find out, what the VEI against a long term eruption refers to. Annual? Over the term?

Classification

Scientists indicate how powerful volcanic eruptions are using the VEI. It records how much volcanic material is thrown out, to what height, and how long the eruption lasts; the scale goes from 0 to 8. An increase of 1 indicates a 10 times more powerful eruption.

Note: There is a discontinuity in the definition of the VEI between indices 1 and 2. The lower border of the volume of ejecta jumps by a factor of 100 from 10,000 to 1,000,000 m3 (350,000 to 35,000,000 cu ft) while the factor is 10 between all higher indices.

Wikipedia

But the VEI Scala isn´t exact,so any Data with those Numbers is just a rough estimate anyway,since there isn´t enough Data for every Eruption. But i´m gonna try and calculate it anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

As far as the three mile rift goes are you are talking about the fissure rather than the rift? The original reports said the fissure was 6 miles by three miles, but this is the area of the rifting and not of the active fissure.

Thanks PuterMan!

No, I read on one of the news sites, forgive me but I can't remember witch one as I was on my phone at the time but what I read is that the volcano is erupting from several different places along a three mile rift.

I am having a heck of a time finding any good up to date info on the volcano itself. All I am finding is about the affected areas and airline cancelations. Probably due to it being quite remote I guess. Frustrating though...

Oh, and thanks for letting me know about the severity of the eruption and how it is not the same size as Mt. Pinatubo.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by BobAthome

The original picture was linked to a "on-going" snap shot,,, my bad,,, the anomoly no longer their,, i should have taken screen capture,, my bad.

Got it this time,,, is it temp reading?
edit on 7-6-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by BobAthome because: there was a fissure split lava field split?? Siberian size?? smaller,,ok

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Has anyone given an recent update from the big think volcanic blog???

if not then ill do the honors after all its still my thread .

apparently theres a bit more activity going on at Lava lakes remain active on Kilauea

so without further adu here it is ...

Lava lakes remain active on Kilauea
bigthink.com...

Halavalake I fully realize I tend to have a bias towards explosive eruptions - I mean, it is hard to ignore something like this. However, that doesn't mean I should have neglected all the action going on right now in Hawai`i, where basalt lavas are doing that effusive thing they do so well.

and whats currently going on down in chili

Puyehue-Cordón Caulle ash makes it to Buenos Aires and Paraguay

The eruption that started Saturday at Puyehue-Cordón Caulle along the Chilean-Argentine border is still going - and still causing problems for people living in the zone where ash and pumice (see below) is falling.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Just seen an update on the Chile eruption on John Search.

Thursday 9th June 2011
Puyehue Volcano, Chile
Seismic activity continues to decline at Puyehue volcano in Chile. On the 7th June there were 5 earthquakes measured per hour, with a maximum magnitude of 2.6. The earthquakes were caused by explosions at the volcano. Continuous tremor is also being recorded and is related to degassing. At 4:45 am local time on 7th June an ash plume extended 1200 km from the volcano. The first 600 km of the plume drifted northeast and then changed southeast across Argentina and the Atlantic Ocean. Several waves of pyroclastic flows travelled down the Nilahue river, whose waters reached temperatures of 45 º C. Material up to 30 cm diameter is flowing down the river and highlights the dangers of the proximity of the upper parts of the river valley and its tributaries.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Keep your eyes on the Phillipine Islands...hundreds of fish are dying in a lake that is in a volcanic crater in the Phillipines...a possible sign that another eruption is imminent....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is right on the ring of fire, and so was the one in Chili..

The epicenter for the China EQ was also on the ring of fire...at the marianas trench area....
and there are more.
conincidence?

Great thread OP! S+F...I will be following your "research"!
Peace

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph...

current update on taal volcano

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN 09 June 2011 8:00 A.M. Thursday, 09 June 2011 10:29 Taal Volcano’s (14.0000°N, 120.9833°E) seismic network recorded four (4) volcanic earthquakes during the past 24 hours. Field measurements conducted last 07 June 2011 at the eastern sector inside the Main Crater Lake showed that the water temperature increased to 33.8°C from 32.8°C and the water level also increased to 0.31 meter from 0.25 meter measured last 24 May 2011

it also states that the lake is beginning to boil .

thats not good because it could mean this next eruption could be large then expected .

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

current update on taal volcano

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN 09 June 2011 8:00 A.M. Thursday, 09 June 2011 10:29 Taal Volcano’s (14.0000°N, 120.9833°E) seismic network recorded four (4) volcanic earthquakes during the past 24 hours. Field measurements conducted last 07 June 2011 at the eastern sector inside the Main Crater Lake showed that the water temperature increased to 33.8°C from 32.8°C and the water level also increased to 0.31 meter from 0.25 meter measured last 24 May 2011

it also states that the lake is beginning to boil .

thats not good because it could mean this next eruption could be large then expected .

Ok, I've just read your link a few times. And no where do I see anything about the lake beginning to boil. It cannot be the temp increase, as 33.8 celsius is about 92-93 fahrenheit. That's below normal body temperature.

I do see in the article it states "bubbling activity" was observed. Bubbling is much different than boiling.

Would you please point out where it states it's beginning to boil?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Alert Level 2 is still in effect over Taal Volcano, with the interpretation that magma has been intruding towards the surface, as manifested by the continuing high emission rate of CO2 being released in the Main Crater Lake and sustained seismic activity. Hence, PHIVOLCS advises the public that the Main Crater, Daang Kastila Trail and Mt. Tabaro (1965-1977 Eruption Site) are strictly off-limits because sudden hazardous steam-driven explosions may occur and high concentrations of toxic gases may accumulate. Breathing air with high concentration of toxic gases can be lethal to human, animals and even cause damage to vegetation. In addition, it is reminded that the entire Volcano Island is a Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ), and permanent settlement in the island is strictly not recommended. DOST-PHIVOLCS is closely monitoring Taal Volcano’s activity and any new significant development will be immediately relayed to all concerned.

Bulusan Volcano’s (12.7667

°N, 124.0500°E) seismic network recorded two (2) volcanic earthquakes during the past 24 hours. Steaming activity at the crater and all known thermal vents was not observed due to thick clouds covering the summit. Results of ground deformation survey (precise leveling) conducted last 07-11 May 2011 showed no significant change as compared with 01-05 March 2011 survey.

For those of you who are not aware...Bulusan Volcanoes are also located in the Phillipines...it is the southernmost stratovolcano on Luzon Island.

I think we are going to keep seeing an increase in volcanic activity in this area. I hope it turns out to be a mild event if anything comes of it at all....

Mods, I am new at this, so I didn't know how to hightlight the sections of text that I got from other sources..as well as the link..could you help please? Thanks in advance.
edit on 10-6-2011 by anjl32 because: Note to mods....

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anjl32

You might find this useful. (Actuall that is an old one from 2009)

Using BB codes on ATS.(PDF)

Here is a later one that I did that shows using the facilities but just as I was about to publish it they went and changed it. Most of it still applies, it does does not look quite the same.

Above Top Secret BB Codes.PDF

edit on 10/6/2011 by PuterMan because: To add another document link.

Actually looking at the PDF did they change if back or did I update it? Getting old - losing my mind!

edit on 10/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Thank you very much for that info PM!!! It will be very useful to my ats experience in the future! Truley appreciate you helping a sister out!
Peace be with you.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Just a little bump for my own thread.

It may be time to start watching Hekla.

Iceland may not be finished belching yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here is a link for a current list of all active volcanoes worldwide as well as volcanoes that they are keeping an eye on for possible/recent new activity.

www.blogsmonroe.com...

There are a few that I noticed that are not yet listed on this site yet such as the Taal Volcano in the Phillipines or Hekla in Iceland....but still a good source to which volcanoes to keep an eye on! Also contains links to maps and other information sources.

Disappointment: apparently, as I was reading on this site, I noticed that it had not been updated since June 2, 2010. So....perhaps it is not the best resource after all....sorry.
edit on 11-6-2011 by anjl32 because: Outdated info...

Try instead....
volcanoes.usgs.gov...
www.volcano.si.edu...

edit on 11-6-2011 by anjl32 because: updated/current link

edit on 11-6-2011 by anjl32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Qantas cancels flights due to volcanic ash

Qantas has cancelled flights between Australia and New Zealand today with volcanic ash from an eruption in Chile due to drift over the South Island.
Chile's Puyehue volcano is more than 9,000 kilometres away from New Zealand. Strong winds have carried its ash across the Pacific since the eruption seven days ago.
Officials are expecting problems for air travel for up to a week.

nz.news.yahoo.com...

More:
nz.news.yahoo.com...
nz.news.yahoo.com...

The first quote is incorrect, the ash went all the way around the Globe in a west to east direction, across the Atlantic and Indian Ocean, not across the Pacific.

No satellite images on MODIS yet, but you can see the direction of flow on this one
earthobservatory.nasa.gov...
edit on 11-6-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join