It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Addeum to my recent post:-

May those guards who are 'looking after' the heroes Bradly Manning and Julian treat these 2 courageous men better while in their care awaiting judgement, if they are as informed as people around the world today are. These guards are one of us - humans, and not born out of a rock.

What the 2 men had done was only to tell the honest truth of what is truly happening behind mankind's back, and mankind is made up of each of us, their families, relatives, friends and ours. We are one race, with differences and perhaps different emotions at each stage of journey with our precious gift of life, but very common aspirations in life, if not for themselves, but for their loved ones.

What is being judged and needful corrections to be made will only affect us all for the better and benefit all. No man is born out of a rock. We are all connected.

I beg.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nameless Hussy

Can't do that. If our soldiers (whom I respect BTW) ever found out who and what they were really fighting for, They wouldn't be too happy about being deceived. And TPTB's little scam would fall apart.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Now I know how ppl felt when they saw Rome falling!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Die Zeit wrote an intersting thing about the Swedish prosecutor Marianne Ny:

So hatte sie sich einst in einem Fall von Frauenmisshandlung dafür ausgesprochen, dass Männer, die von Frauen beschuldigt werden, aber nicht verurteilt sind, in jedem Fall vorsorglich eingesperrt werden müssten – um der Frau "Raum zum Nachdenken" zu verschaffen. "Erst wenn der Mann gefangen genommen ist und die Frau in aller Ruhe Zeit bekommt, mit etwas Abstand auf ihr Dasein zu blicken, bekommt sie die Chance zu entdecken, wie sie behandelt wurde", sagte sie damals.

Translation:
- In a case of abuse of a woman, she had argued, that men, who are accused by women, but are not sentenced, should be arrested precautionary - to provide the woman "room for cogitation". "Only if the man is arrested and the woman gets some time to look at her entity with some distance, she gets the chance to detect, how she was treated", she sayed back then. -

Who said, that something stinks in Danmark? He must have meant Sweden.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
IS the first time i read about somebody being rape in a threesome,in Sweeden??...
U guys just too nervous,i been told that most of the info on the internet is 99.99% false just like those pictures of human giants unhearthed in the middle east,common those pictures are fake,compose,made up just like all the info in WL.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
And so the end game begins, if the UK extradites Assange, the Swedish will just send him on to the US. Ironically, Assange has actually not "spied" on anyone; he only reviews documents that have been sent to him by others. You know, like the New York Times, Guardian, etc.

Espionage
Definition of ESPIONAGE
: the practice of spying or using spies to obtain information about the plans and activities especially of a foreign government or a competing company,

Source: www.merriam-webster.com...

Assange fits the bill. Even though he didn't hire spies to do his work, the military officer who leaked the information to him could be considered one. I cannot remember his name at the moment, but the military officer who leaked this information can also be called a traitor. If they are found guilty through a military tribunal, they will both get the maximum penalty for their crimes. Ansange could be forced to turn over all copies of the 'insurance' file, and to force Wikileaks to give up all other secret information. We will have to wait and see.

About time the United States got things rolling.

My prediction: - United States government will make a deal with Assange. If he turns over all leaked military secrets (both originals and duplicates), closes down Wikileaks, turn over his allies. and takes a lesser sentence, he could walk from this within ten years. I am sure there will be a little more to the deal.

edit on 11-12-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If Julian is charged here in the U.S, he will no longer be among us. The U.S wants his head. Its sad, because this just shows that our government is based around lies. What Julian published was a TKO blow, but sometimes the truth hurts.
edit on 11-12-2010 by KonquestAbySS because: grammar error

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
...shows that our government is based around lies.

If Assange gets the full extent of the law, United States citizens will feel more secure knowing that - when someone breaks into our national security, the government is willing to do everything possible to keep us safe.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

BS..Assange doesnt stealed the documents or hacked or breaks any law of national security he was just published the information ...is it to hard for you to get this?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
how are they charging him with espionage was he the on who intercepted the cables no he received them and published them but not from America so he did not do a crime . his crime he embarrassed the us government.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rocha123

i been told that most of the info on the internet is 99.99% false just like those pictures of human giants unhearthed in the middle east,common those pictures are fake,compose,made up just like all the info in WL.

And who told you that? Someone on the internet? And if not. Can we speak to this person? Sounds like they have the inside scoop.

There's good and bad information everywhere. The system is set up that way. Doing a little research on what you read will help in seperating the wheat from the tares.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So we now see that this whole rape accusation was all just a fraud, to make Interpol into arresting him somewhere in Europe, and then be extradited to the US. Her Swedish accuser is even a CIA collaborator, and perhaps a foreign agent, and that in itself reveals a lot.

But Assange has been expecting this to happen, and that's why he release Wikileaks "dead hand" device, to insure that the final truth bomb would be revealed even "in the face of total annihilation", just it was written on Wikileaks not long ago. The CIA, or TPTB as a whole, are not all-powerful, as many claim.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by Nameless Hussy

Can't do that. If our soldiers (whom I respect BTW) ever found out who and what they were really fighting for, They wouldn't be too happy about being deceived. And TPTB's little scam would fall apart.

I think you're giving many soldiers a way out when you state it like that. I'm sure they know exactly what they are fighting for. Respect comes into question.

I'd love to see all of them get on planes and come home. Just say screw it and leave the field. Then march right into government and start arresting people. That would be patriotic.
edit on 11-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I've not seen anybody go this direction in this thread, but does anybody else think that Assange may be intentionally setting himself up to have a legal showdown with the U.S. Govt? There have been plenty of hints from him and wikileaks that they have much more serious material to offer. The fact is, all they'd need to do is release a singular topic of enough importance, and they would justify themselves to many doubters.

Instead, he's put himself in a position where he's under lock and key. Sure, covert ops could find him if he went into hiding, but it still would be safer than waiting on the world powers to decide his fate while they have him confined. Luckily enough, there's enough media attention that he won't disappear now, but there will be some major spin to try to villianize him if the U.S. can come up with a good enough charge and put him on trial.

My opinion is that the release schedule has been meant to draw out U.S. political and media reaction and this is where I think he's been intending for it to go from the beginning. As it seems to happen in our current culture, unless you're in the right spot at the right time and have the right people watching you, it doesn't matter how damning the information you have might be. Eventually, people find out but just brush it off because it doesn't seem like anybody else is upset about it, since all of the reaction has been diluted by making sure it's only pockets of people at a time and not a sizable body of the population.

Here's where Assange stands to have a unique opportunity: Say he ends up in a scenario where he's in front of a congressional hearing, or any major court case. All the major news stations are playing it live, since they're ready to paint him as an enemy of the state. Right as millions are watching, in the most exposed he'll be to the general public, he tells them of a major leak thus far unreleased, something of sufficient power to derail the case and to capture public attention. After that, it's just a matter of keeping the material flowing.

As far as the whole issue of whether he should be charged in the first place, well, this information is leaked anyways. Outside of saying he deliberately helped get it, these cables are already compromised and there's no telling if other sources wouldn't have been able to get them eventually. In essence, it seems world leaders have been more upset than anything that their own people know about this.

And hello ATS! First post, but I've been a reader for about the last six months, and have made this one of my major sources of news or links thereto. It's refreshing to see such a variety of opinions, even if I don't share them, because if nothing else, it makes you THINK.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
...shows that our government is based around lies.

If Assange gets the full extent of the law, United States citizens will feel more secure knowing that - when someone breaks into our national security, the government is willing to do everything possible to keep us safe.

...and in their lies.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Your logic is suspect at best. The bottom line is, there is ZERO proof that Assange assisted Manning or anyone else for that matter in the obtaining of documents. The only connection is that Wikileaks and the Wau Holland Foundation have paid assistance into Manning's legal defense fund, but that's a non starter in terms of "helping" him get any classified information. Until you--or the US--can furnish some kind of proof that JA was actively assisting PFC Manning, then the US has ZERO to prosecute on.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[color=Othe maskots of 2012 olimpycs are the hummers of PINK FLOYD video ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL the eyes are the spy cameras. and are made from steel, see for your self the official video of the olympycs no body in internet captured this fact pls send me a mesage if im right and spread you this news.range]Text OrangeText Black

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[color=Othe maskots of 2012 olimpycs are the hummers of PINK FLOYD video ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL the eyes are the spy cameras. and are made from steel, see for your self the official video of the olympycs no body in internet captured this fact pls send me a mesage if im right and spread you this news.range]Text OrangeText Black

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The standards applied to Espionage Act prosecutions in the United States are quite strict. Dictionary definitions tend to be broader than legal ones. Case law shows that the publishing of leaked secrets, in itself, is not held to be illegal. Laws prejudicial to freedom of the press are unconstitutional in America. Julian Assange is not an agent of a foreign government, he has an established reputation as a journalist. Even Pvt. Manning, who is suspected of having a part in leaking the documents has not been charged with either treason or espionage, merely with 'mishandling documents' and the like. Ross

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

I can tell you what he did that was illegal. The information that he posted wasn't his to post. Nor did it belong to the people that sent it to him in the first place. He received stolen goods, but more importantly, he received goods that were stolen from the U.S. Government. He's going to burn for it.
edit on 11-12-2010 by baked because: typo

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join