It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

Article from Daily Mail

America is set to bring spying charges against jailed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, claims his lawyer.
She believes U.S. prosecutors are finalising their case against the 39-year-old behind the publication of more than 250,000 secret diplomatic messages.
Jennifer Robinson said she understands U.S. charges are ‘imminent’.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/10/10 by zcflint05 because: more HTML correction

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
And so the end game begins, if the UK extradites Assange, the Swedish will just send him on to the US. Ironically, Assange has actually not "spied" on anyone; he only reviews documents that have been sent to him by others. You know, like the New York Times, Guardian, etc.

But I think this will be the final test for him as well--if he is charged and extradited to the US, he promised to release the "insurance" file. If he does not, I believe he will be named a fraud--and I will support that callout 100%. So the cards are on the table, and this is "zero-hour", will WL go down as the biggest fraud in online history, or change the world?

Daily Mail news article
edit on 12/10/10 by zcflint05 because: corrected HTML formatting

+55 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
GREAT NEWS!!

Now ABC/FOX/NBC/CNN will get charged too, for releasing the same documents.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

LOL I wish. Even though anyone that is sane would seem to draw the same conclusion, we'll get to hear a bunch of stupid justifications for not charging "traditional" media outlets with the same crime. As much as I'd love to see Rupert Murdoch being led to a courthouse in handcuffs...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If Assange is released into US custody, the game will be over. I don't think the release of anymore material will make that big of a deal. The US will use Assange's detainment as means of deception, to attempt to focus the public's eye on Assange's conviction.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Sigh... here we go!
Hold on tight, folks... gonna be a bumpy ride...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Good, he deserves what he gets..I hope him AND Pvt Bradley are co defendants
edit on 12/10/2010 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
But it hasn't happened yet, right? Or have I missed something?

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Tough talk from the corrupt hawks.

Will not happen. If it does, it will only make him a martyr.

The fascists in power know unconsciously their time is up, but they are so neurotic that they will protect their house of cards no matter what it takes.

Assange is an Editor in Chief of a news organization. He is a journalist. Not a spy.

What is supposed to happen to all of the other people who work for WL? What about all the major news organizations who also have copies of the leaks, and are writing stories on them daily?

Not a good move by the feds.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I got enough of those "She believes"...

I get more and more a pro-Wikileaks, because they give us the raw materials and the facts. It seems, the rest of the world is just into gossip, no matter which side they think to present.

+61 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Good, he deserves what he gets..I hope him AND Pvt Bradley are co defendants
edit on 12/10/2010 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

HomerinNC can you tell me what Julian did that was illegal please? Oh you can't... didn't think so.

Anyways,

This movement isn't going to stop with Julian.

edit on 12-11-2010 by Springer because: Removed childish name calling

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is insane if this spy charge thing is a go... If they cant get him on one thing try something else. O yes we sure can see the CIA working at its best here yes... O let me guess he will end up in GITMO next ? And whats the termination ? " Enemy Combatant " C'Mon Australian government ! Help our fellow citizen ! Show some balls support one of our own who is getting framed for telling the truth. Democracy my butt !!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Unfortunatley, the American populace is so dumbed-down that they willfully ignore the facts in these cases and have already crucified Assange for the perception that he is "putting lives in danger". The traditional media have already tried to distract us from cablegate by implying that Assange is a rapist, and continuing to feed that meme. If you'll notice, there's plenty of information online that spells out the actual charges and a reading of that information makes it pretty clear that there's no chance that the rape charges would stick in a jury trial in any country. This is all a ploy to catch Assange, the question is, will he keep his word re: insurance file, or not? That will be the true test to see if he will be a "martyr" or just another fraud. In many ways, the ball is in his court now.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
wont happen. UK & Sweden cant extradite for a "political crime" which is what espionage comes under.

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
GREAT NEWS!!

Now ABC/FOX/NBC/CNN will get charged too, for releasing the same documents.

Not only that but they can also charge themselves:

US State Dept. republished WikiLeaks document from Feb 2009

Just so freaking tragic!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I think WL has reconsidered the conditions for the 'insurance file'. I know I would.

Just because Assange is in a legal quagmire, doesn't mean the infrastructure and integrity of WL is seriously threatened.

If they didn't release it after all of the cyber warfare, they won't for his bogus court case.

It will take something more drastic before they release the poison pill.

+55 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Is the rest of this country completely brain dead? Does the question "How can Assange be charged for releasing documents exposing criminal actions while those responsible for the criminal actions are not charged?" ever occur to anyone besides about .000000001% of the population?

I'm surrounded by absolute retards, I swear. How can anyone be proud of this country or proud to be a citizen of it? I sure as hell am not.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So now we all revolt, get hit on the head and become terrorists ripe for the picking.

Ahh sod it....gimme a gun.

Better still, let's publish as many opinions about Wikileaks cables as we can and firmly establish them as part of history.

Maybe in a billion years time when the aliens come they'll understand what happened and that the handlers got bitten by their pets because they stupidly thought they had the upper hand.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I know they WANT us to rebel, that's the sad part, but let's take 'em down with numbers, truth and intelligence.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
One way ticket to Guantanamo for me too then for aiding and abetting I suppose...

I am guilty of hosting a wikileaks mirror and rewieving the same documents, and I am not alone.

I will in, the case of Assange beeing charged with espionage, demand to face the same charges together with every person guilty of the same "crime".

This includes several hundred thousand people, if not millions.

Good Luck to the facists in government.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
No way, the U.S. Would be swallowing arsenic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join