It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What people are claiming that what he did was illegal is nonsense! He is merely the middle man in all this game of charades. He had nothing to do with obtaining the illegal information.

I am also surprised that he is being charged with espionage and the US government isn't getting charged with spying on many diplomatic allies. I think it is a shame that many are saying let this man burn while brown nosing their government. The same government who has shown incompetence, conflict of interest, unethical behavior, and that is just the tip.

I don't think this was espionage. I think this is a wake up call to the government and it is scaring them to $hits. That is why they are trying everything in their power to get this guy on their turf.

But it is the people who should be angry at the government! How can one person get his hands on all those files?!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Cant You See It??!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

These government games are getting more and more obvious! The more moves they make the more aware us few that are awake become. Now I dont mean to attack some of you, but you are falling into their trap. Nearly everyone is looking at Julian as a hero. THIS IS ALL FABRICATED! It is a slight of hand technique. We will be made more and more aware of the ultimate goal in the coming months. This goal is to silence US. To control the internet, news, and all other forms of information. OH NO, we are under attack by Assange supporters(Anonymous). They will continue their cyber attacks untill it is in our national security best interest to completely control the internet. THIS INTERNET IS WHAT BROUGHT ALL OF US THINKING PEOPLE TOGETHER AND IT IS THE #1 THORN IN THE SIDES OF OUR WOULD BE MASTERS. The more they attack Julian the more anon attacks the madder we get at anon. I would be willing to bet that they will even create some serious cyber-attacks against some key elements here in the us that will make the sheeple so angry that we will embrace this regulated internet with open arms. It WILL happen! SO SAYS THE INFERNAL1! What can we do? Why are these things happening so fast now? Something bigger than this is going down and their ultimate goals be it nwo, or otherwise are coming to a climax, and we are still not prepared. WE ARE ABOUT TO BE SWEPT UNDER THE RUG TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE CHOSEN!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ain't that the truth. ? . I see that some others have also stated the obvious regarding J.A. He isn't "spying" on anything. He's just passing on info that others have given him, and the U.S. Govt. is very mad about that because he is smarter than most of them. I bet he has his people primed for the "release". Should be exciting to watch.
The world will change whether we're ready or not. I think I'm as prepared as I'm gonna get.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
What people are claiming that what he did was illegal is nonsense! He is merely the middle man in all this game of charades. He had nothing to do with obtaining the illegal information.

I am also surprised that he is being charged with espionage and the US government isn't getting charged with spying on many diplomatic allies. I think it is a shame that many are saying let this man burn while brown nosing their government. The same government who has shown incompetence, conflict of interest, unethical behavior, and that is just the tip.

I don't think this was espionage. I think this is a wake up call to the government and it is scaring them to $hits. That is why they are trying everything in their power to get this guy on their turf.

But it is the people who should be angry at the government! How can one person get his hands on all those files?!
But the government protects them from the terrorists. Of course the unwashed masses will huddle around the fire (US government) in the hopes that the wolves will not attack (terrorists) because they haven't figured out how to build shelters (free thinkers). Bad analogy but it's all I could think of.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

I think he intended to be caught, and would've known it would ultimately be to get at him for political reasons. Here's my view on how he may release the insurance file or a really big leak. I put this up a few pages back and didn't get a response:

My opinion is that the release schedule has been meant to draw out U.S. political and media reaction and this is where I think he's been intending for it to go from the beginning. As it seems to happen in our current culture, unless you're in the right spot at the right time and have the right people watching you, it doesn't matter how damning the information you have might be. Eventually, people find out but just brush it off because it doesn't seem like anybody else is upset about it, since all of the reaction has been diluted by making sure it's only pockets of people at a time and not a sizable body of the population.

Here's where Assange stands to have a unique opportunity: Say he ends up in a scenario where he's in front of a congressional hearing, or any major court case. All the major news stations are playing it live, since they're ready to paint him as an enemy of the state. Right as millions are watching, in the most exposed he'll be to the general public, he tells them of a major leak thus far unreleased, something of sufficient power to derail the case and to capture public attention. After that, it's just a matter of keeping the material flowing.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What I have a problem with is amending the Espionage Act to retroactively charge someone. I don't know that to be a fact but I have read that is the intent. If it is fact, that should not be happening. No one should be allowed to create criminals.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider

I think you're giving many soldiers a way out when you state it like that. I'm sure they know exactly what they are fighting for. Respect comes into question.

While I wouldn't argue that some higher ranking officers might know what's really going on. I doubt that the lower ranks understand, except maybe by deduction. And I wouldn't rule that out. I have to respect any soldier whose intent is honorable.

I'd love to see all of them get on planes and come home. Just say screw it and leave the field. Then march right into government and start arresting people. That would be patriotic.

In a way, I would like to see this too. Many of us would I'm sure. But those soldiers would probably be labeled as terrorists by the media, and the sleeping masses would believe it. So it would all be for naught.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So I guess it's ok if journalists leak information about companies...but the governments are off-limits. Guess the whole democracy thing is just a dream, we live in a country run and 100% controlled by government. They get to decide what news is important for us...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by theinfernal

Well stated. There's always a method to their madness.
And it's always we the people who get shafted in the end.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

They also get to decide who is a journalist and who is not. They will do whatever is necessary to bolster their own case. If that means shredding the Constitution, so be it.

news.antiwar.com...

A general statement: I wish people would look beyond WL and Assange for right now. The real story at this point is how the government reacts to this. If they can treat Assange like this, who's next? They are setting a dangerous precedent and everyone should be paying attention to it.

The battle lines have been drawn. Any victories claimed in this battle will go a long way to protect other rights. This is the fight that needs to take place first before we can move on to greater transparency. If we lose here, then kiss it all goodbye.
edit on 11-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is all drama to distract us from the documents wikileaks is releasing, and it's working well.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cablespider
reply to post by MrXYZ

They also get to decide who is a journalist and who is not. They will do whatever is necessary to bolster their own case. If that means shredding the Constitution, so be it.

news.antiwar.com...

I wish people would look beyond WL and Assange for right now. The real story at this point is how the government reacts to this. If they can treat Assange like this, who's next? They are setting a dangerous precedent and everyone should be paying attention to it.

The battle lines have been drawn. Any victories claimed in this battle will go a long way to protect other rights. This is the fight that needs to take place first before we can move on.
edit on 11-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

Hmmmm.... I wondered why the Gaurdian have been going out of their way to brand Assange the editor in cheif of Wikileaks to underline his role and position.. Linky

It seems a counter campaign is under way... what with the British Justice Secretary calling the leaked cables *of genuine public interest* and supposed anon members giving interviews to the BBC..

I do wonder if lines are being drawn here.... edit to add: or if this is yet some more smoke and mirrors
edit on 11/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: ??

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05

America is set to bring spying charges against jailed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, claims his lawyer.
She believes U.S. prosecutors are finalising their case against the 39-year-old behind the publication of more than 250,000 secret diplomatic messages.
Jennifer Robinson said she understands U.S. charges are ‘imminent’.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

The US could file any charges they want against Julian Assange, but the fact of the matter is that while he is in UK he will not be extradited to the US if there is the tiniest inkling that he would be given the death penalty.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

YES! This is awesome - which means exactly that the U.S. will have to prosecute and close those other media outlets in the United States - Fox/CNN/New York Times - they are also distributing these documents as they are released - like the free press is supposed to do. These documents came from others - hackers and interceptions of electronic exchanges - and then collected by, well, in this case by a private in the U.S. Military! The private is the only one who can be held accountable.

Assange is not even a U.S. citizen - so how they can use this legal loophole against a publisher is obviously against every moral media standard. It shows Washington is a bunch of blood thirsty lawyers - no wonder evil is abound!

The world has a right to know - and if they allowed to do this - it is an attack on free speech and the free press!

They are afraid of what is too come - this is unscrewing the bolts on the wheels of the New World Order!

The other good news is that Assange saw all of this coming - he set everything up (collateral/bargaining release) just in case something like this happened - and has his people holding everything just for this, and it will all come out now - all at once now!

Oh, what a tangled web we weave - when we practice to deceive!

They have no idea what they are pushing to come out - their game is over! Idiots

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rebel121

Originally posted by zcflint05

America is set to bring spying charges against jailed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, claims his lawyer.
She believes U.S. prosecutors are finalising their case against the 39-year-old behind the publication of more than 250,000 secret diplomatic messages.
Jennifer Robinson said she understands U.S. charges are ‘imminent’.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

The US could file any charges they want against Julian Assange, but the fact of the matter is that while he is in UK he will not be extradited to the US if there is the tiniest inkling that he would be given the death penalty.

Or as Sky's talking heads reported there is a real concern the death penalty might be called for later... I have wondered if any of the comments made by US politicians have crossed that line...

edit on 11/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Star for you.

You are dead right, while all this bickering is going on the important stuff is being overlooked.

Maybe I watched too many movies way back when but doesn't the government infiltrate certain organisations to expose them. Agents become criminals and partake in criminal activities to out the bad guys?

I've mentioned it before and it was buried in this blame thread but i'll try again...........

Not so long ago American citizens were shouting for truth and answers as to why Al Megrahi (the Lockerbie bomber) was released by the Scottish government, wikileaks have exposed some of those truths and answers but now it seems that it doesn't matter so long as the leaker/s get strung up.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
Is the rest of this country completely brain dead? Does the question "How can Assange be charged for releasing documents exposing criminal actions while those responsible for the criminal actions are not charged?" ever occur to anyone besides about .000000001% of the population?

I'm surrounded by absolute retards, I swear. How can anyone be proud of this country or proud to be a citizen of it? I sure as hell am not.

First sentence;second paragraph: LOL. In regards to your second sentence I would substitute the word "Government"(big G) for the word "country" and remove the part "a citizen of it ?" opting instead for the phrasing; "governed by it ?" The reason being that I love my country and deplore the Government under which I live. I'm wondering if maybe you appreciate the distinction between the two ideas?

This country contains some of the most diverse terrain and geologic treasures on the planet. It is rich in natural resources and abundant in wildlife. It is truly a beautiful country. The people of this country have a tenacity all their own. From the first native Americans to the English and other European settlers who first envisioned this nation. We have a brief and meteoric rise to power in our really very recent history. We just can't seem to recall it and are no longer inspired by it.

To quote an old and very wise one:...that is why you fail."

Sorry for the off topic post and PETROLCOIN, I don't mean to pick at you. I'm not trolling. Your post just struck a sudden and unexpected defensiveness in me and wanted to speak up.

STH

edit on 11-12-2010 by stopthathurts because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider

I said "think of it as". I didn't say the material was under copyright. Bottom line. The stuff he posted wasn't his to post, and now he's going to pay for it. The Government does whatever they want to. He'll either disappear or be executed.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It needs to be said again - we are being fooled!

Those cables were obtained by someone who just does not have access to that information, this info was willing given by the powers that be and the info is not so damaging as we are led to believe. Assange unfortunately is just being used in a smear to pass bills that are already submitted and in place.

Way to go America - there goes our internet and freedom of speech!

Cyber protest is not gonna win us nothing in return - change is only gonna come when we lazy Americans get off our butts and drag our huevos to the door steps of the powers that be and make the changes ourselves.

I presume it is too late for that though...........besides were all just too comfortable and reliant on govt.

Bet our forefathers would be ashamed of us if they were alive today, I know I am.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Filtereyez

Actually, what needs to be said again is less than 1% of the cables have been released. No one has any clue how this ends up. Any firm conclusion at this point is premature.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join