It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handedness on the rise

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

Originally posted by tonypazzohome

are you a student of the kabbalah? i have some rudimentary knowledge of its principles and am very interested. there is a center here in nyc which gives classes. i've been thinking of taking one. do you have any experience with this?

Not the Kabbalah center. Im personally against that, as it teaches a corrupted version of kabbalah.

oh jeez... NO RIGHT HANDERS ALLOWED !

the evidence is in your loopy-loop thought patterns...

I am being mean now so you may leave my thread please !

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by tonypazzohome

are you a student of the kabbalah? i have some rudimentary knowledge of its principles and am very interested. there is a center here in nyc which gives classes. i've been thinking of taking one. do you have any experience with this?

Not the Kabbalah center. Im personally against that, as it teaches a corrupted version of kabbalah.

oh jeez... NO RIGHT HANDERS ALLOWED !

the evidence is in your loopy-loop thought patterns...

I am being mean now so you may leave my thread please !

Whats loopy loop about my thought patterns?

Its not possible for one group to despoil an ancient and sacred theology for the sake of personal gain???

Thats just my feeling about the kabbalah center. If one wants to learn kabbalah from there, go right ahead. Just understand that conventional Judaism looks down upon the kabbalah center. Theyre seen as exploitive, and assimilative and thus compromise the ancient Jewish theology.

I do not have to leave any thread. Only until i unsubscribe, will i leave. And i havent been irritated enough for that.

But if you continue to be mean, i may leave. Im very sensitive.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Im sure i read somewhere a study that suggested that left handedness was a form of brain damage. Itll be amusing to see if this thread goes the same way as the rhesus negative blood group threads. One thing about being left handed and female, is that when your in school and writing along with the rest of the class, it does present you with a challenge, in that you have to write into your chest rather than away. I compensated and tried harder and i know have beautiful handwriting. Im also alarmed to hear all these tied up hands and slapped by nuns posts, my left handedness was never questioned in school, i dont ever remember it being mentioned, and i started school in the early seventies. I remember being told stories by father/ grandmother about people having their hands tied behind their back though.
I also have rhesus a negative blood.
I am nothing special..... but write great birthday cards.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
As a left-handed individual I always enjoy a good left hand discussion!

I remember when I took Italian in High School we learned that the word for "left" in Italian is sinistra and the word "sinister" in Italian is sinistro. I've always wondered if the two were connected given Italy's heavy Catholic past.

I remember early on in Catholic school I was "guided" to write with my right hand but that stopped in the 2nd grade. Because of that I can write/draw, albeit not the best, with both my hand simultaneously.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

But if you continue to be mean, i may leave. Im very sensitive.

ok well now I feel bad... but no preaching please, Although you can glorify your preferred hemisphere all you want.

edit on 12/8/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
I can write/draw, albeit not the best, with both my hand simultaneously.

now that would be a total trick to see, excellent !

I wonder how many people out there could actually write a sentence at the same time with both hands ? either the same sentence writing two letters at a time to form the sentence or two separate lines altogether.

Heavy !

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Strange that they decided to say left was wrong and right was "right"...................Odd, but there you go, as long back as I can remember they wanted us all to conform with their world and their rights..........*SLAP* Another lefty!

I am left handed and am PROUD!....

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Interesting about the brain damage thing. My sister has an AVM in her brain and she is a lefty. My dad (also a lefty) had one side of his face go dead for a few months once, he said it was bells palsy or something like that. Also an uncle of mine suffered an anurism he is a lefty too.

I never really knew why that evil nun had issues with me being a lefty so this thread has enlightened me
ty OP.Coincidental that the catholic school I attended was predominatley italian. I think I shall subscribe to this one!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
While handedness does have a genetic component, there is a clear correlation between various diseases, genetic mutations, and left-handedness. Even homosexuality is linked to left-handedness, but I'm not going to extrapolate any further on that one.

In my opinion, the rise of the lefty not only has to do with the decline of oppressing them, but also because of various environmental factors which have led to increased risk for complications during gestation.

...I'm a lefty, btw!

There's more lefties with IQ's > 140 than righties... and we're vastly outnumbered!

Watch out, now. Us sinistral's are taking over!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
While handedness does have a genetic component, there is a clear correlation between various diseases, genetic mutations, and left-handedness. Even homosexuality is linked to left-handedness, but I'm not going to extrapolate any further on that one

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
As a left-handed individual I always enjoy a good left hand discussion!

I remember when I took Italian in High School we learned that the word for "left" in Italian is sinistra and the word "sinister" in Italian is sinistro. I've always wondered if the two were connected given Italy's heavy Catholic past.

I remember early on in Catholic school I was "guided" to write with my right hand but that stopped in the 2nd grade. Because of that I can write/draw, albeit not the best, with both my hand simultaneously.

Yes. Etymology is very interesting. grammar is much deeper than people suspect

For instance, the homonym Left and Right both connote something about the nature of left and right.

In Hebrew, the word for left is "Semole". Semele in Greek myth personfied the concept of the lust for physicality (she was the mother of dionysus) and no doubt the greek word is derived from Hebrew.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Left side:
Write
Bat (Baseball)
Eat
Kick

Right side:
Throw
Punch
Mouse (PC)
Shoot

Im all over the place...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MGriff

That is funny, I am left handed and born on Christmas. Am I the antichrist?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Lefties unite!! I am yet another case that was pestered in grade school, In the 80's when they taught "handwriting, and cursive" I was constantly pestered and told I was doing it wrong, even though my handwriting is some of the best around. My wife and I are both left, but my 3 kids are all righties, so go figure.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It's funny... How they always say your handedness reveals your dominant hemisphere. Quite the opposite with me and my brother though. I'm right handed and my strengths lie in creativity, but my mathematical skills are a total zero, while my brother is a lefty and excels in maths and reasoning.

How so?
Lets clear out some misconceptions; both hemispheres have their own areas dedicated for motor coordination (fine control of muscles in this case), these areas are separate from the logical processing areas of the left brain, and the creative areas of the right. So just as the visual information from the right eye is directed to the left hemisphere, the output of the right motor area(Not the area for handling emotions!) will be sent to the left hand.
In short, being right handed doesn't necessarily make you a math nerd, or a creative genius if your a lefty.

This is just a simplification of the concept, but I hope you get the idea.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Left

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think this has something to do with peoples' right brain hemispheres becoming more active.

Left brain hemisphere ---> controls right hand.

Right brain hemisphere ---> controls left hand.

Left brain hemisphere is also considered more technical and analytical (staple of the "modern world"), whereas

right brain hemisphere is considered more intuitive and creative.

I'm mostly right-handed but there are some things I do better off my left hand. I've also started practicing writing with my left hand, and also writing backwards like Leonardo Da Vinci did. Aleister Crowley also made his students of the occult write with their non-dominant hands. The idea is that it helps balance your brain hemispheres so you have an equal amount of both working.
edit on 8-12-2010 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Left-handedness?

That's sinister!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Yeah it's definitely fun to show people. The best I do is my first name with my left hand and my last name with my right hand at the same time on the same line. The trick is to try not thinking about doing it and just do it but easier said than done.

I remember the first time I drew a picture of a face with my left and right hands, I finished it and my friend kept telling me that I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.
It was pretty good but it came out kind of looking like Mr. Potato-head

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryom

Well there is total separation, I will post this from another thread that got me thinking and I was on the defensive... being a righty introduced the concept in that particular topic.

//We'll keep this light and uncomplicated. Our brain, like the rest of our anatomy, is made up of two halves, a left brain a right brain. There's a big fold that goes from front to back in our brain, essentially dividing it into two distinct and separate parts. Well, almost separate. They are connected to each other by a thick cable of nerves at the base of each brain. This sole link between the two giant processors is called the corpus collosum. Think of it as an Ethernet cable or network connection between two incredibly fast and immensely powerful computer processors, each running different programs from the same input.

The left side of our body is "wired" to the right side of our brain, and vice versa. For whatever reason nature did this cross-over, it applies even to our eyes, which process a majority of their sensory data on opposite sides of the brain.

We can thank Nobel Prize Winner (1981) Roger Sperry for this next contribution. Sperry conducted what are sometimes called the "split-brain" experiments. Here's how it went: A patient suffering from uncontrolled seizures had an area of his brain removed by surgery in an attempt to control his illness. This area just happened to be the corpus collosum, which was suspected of having developed lesions (short circuits).

Following his surgery, Sperry's patient seemed completely normal -- almost. A series of tests were conducted where each "half" of the patient was isolated from the other. Different visual and tactile information could then be presented to the patient's left or right side, without the other side knowing. The results were astounding.

With their communications link severed, each side of the patient's brain was functioning independently. Although this did not prevent his ability to walk, talk and eat, some unexpected findings were encountered in some of the higher brain functions when each side was examined independently of the other.

The right hand and eye could name an object, such as a pencil, but the patient could not explain what it was used for. When shown to the left hand and eye, the patient could explain and demonstrate its use, but could not name it. Further studies showed that various functions of thought are physically separated and localized to a specific area on either the left or right side of the human brain. This functional map is consistent for an estimated 70 to 95 percent of us.//

The main theme to emerge... is that there appear to be two modes of thinking, verbal and nonverbal, represented rather separately in left and right hemispheres respectively and that our education system, as well as science in general, tends to neglect the nonverbal form of intellect. What it comes down to is that modern society discriminates against the right hemisphere.

-Roger Sperry (1973)

the right brain is pretty dominant in my character though I been trying to figure out why I kick right-footed and right is my first foot forward in a step and in my defensive posture, everything else is left handed for me and I physically remember not being able to write with the right hand... though it can be done now to some extent.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join