It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handedness on the rise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
soon the world will be a better place because more people will actually 'feel'

www.timesonline.co.uk...

I was cracked on the knuckles as a child in school when they tried to convert me to right handedness, I was a rebel and did not accept their robotic programming. Society can not keep us suppressed and naturally lefties are on the rise (the evolutionist out there will understand this)

Soon my brothers and sisters we will usher in a world of peace and love through simply feeling...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

I am also left-handed and my teachers tried making me
write right-handed.This was in the early 1960's,my dad
put a stop to my teachers effort.
I had a teacher flunk me in writing classes because of being
left-handed.Because I write with a slant,she failed me everytime.
I can write with my right hand,but it hurts my hand to do so.
edit on 8-12-2010 by mamabeth because: was wrong

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I've always been left-handed and no one ever tried to change me during primary school. My dad is left-handed and they never tried to change him when he went through school. My friend Brandy is left-handed and no one ever tried to make her a right-handed person. In fact, all of the left-handed people that I know have been left-handed since birth and not a single one was ever challenged, or criticized for being so. Where exactly are you getting that there's a movement against left-handed individuals? I understand that in certain religions the left-hand is the bad hand, like Islam, but that's only for eating. I happen to be able to eat with either hand, as I can do most things with either hand. Most of the lefties I know eat with both hands (considering silverware usually requires two hands, one for the fork and one for the knife). Sorry Cosmic Artifact, I'm just not seeing the anti-left-hand conspiracy.

I am interested in the evolutionary advances to being left-handed though. Care to elaborate on that part? I'm not a biological evolutionist, so I don't know what you meant by that, but would love to.

~ Scribe

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I am also left-handed and my teachers tried making me
write right-handed.This was in the early 1960's,my dad
put a stop to my teachers effort.
I had a teacher flunk me in writing classes because of being
left-handed.Because I write with a slant,she failed me everytime.
I can write with my right hand,but it hurts my hand to do so.
edit on 8-12-2010 by mamabeth because: was wrong

mine was in the mid/late 70's so it was still being practiced then... less so now are the teachers rulers smacking the knuckles of the students because there are so many legal issues in schools now. I attribute this directly to the rise of the left hander... Surprisingly my best grades were in English class during middle school and even after an attempted conversion I still hold my pencil/pen normally and have no smearing effect that a lot of lefties do.

I believe the church may have initially developed this conspiracy because the lefties may have had a better grasp of scripture and that could not be so specially for a commoner compared to a priest say.

edit on 12/8/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
Sorry Cosmic Artifact, I'm just not seeing the anti-left-hand conspiracy.
~ Scribe

explain to me then the rise of the lefty...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The "rise of the lefty" is just a change in numbers because leftys are no longer converted to right handedness.

Yes I too was a lefty who they tried to convert. My mother was also a lefty. Both of us are mathematician - artists.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Agreed, a better headline for this topic would be "the oppression of left-handedness is declining". I don't think people born today are any more left-handed than they were a century or more ago. We just don't force people to write with the wrong hand anymore

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

The "rise of the lefty" is just a change in numbers because leftys are no longer converted to right handedness.

you got it man, Balance is the key and that is reflected in nature.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well, I'm a lefty and I can't say that more lefties will necessarily by any better considering that Obama, Clinton, H W Bush are lefties

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am a lefty. I am also left footed. As a child i was forced to eat right-handed and write right-handed. I can still do both lefty but it feels uncomfortable. My mother and my Grandmother were very crazy about it. My Grandmother used to yell at me if i slipped up at the dinner table and ate lefty. She acted as if there was something wrong with me because i wasnt a righty.. It's crazy how someone can label you a freak by what hand you are.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Im a lefty but its weird, there are somethings that i do better with my right hand, especially something that requires better eye/hand coordination.
The major things though, writing, throwing, hitting, etc... i do with left.
And yes, there was one teacher back in the 70s that tried to change me around one time but we set here straight.

Oh and I read an article SOMEWHERE that handedness could be changed with magnetism or electo-magnetism or something like that but I cant find it now, anywhere..the effect was only temporary though

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Well, I'm a lefty and I can't say that more lefties will necessarily by any better considering that Obama, Clinton, H W Bush are lefties

well considering their manipulated positions... Even with Obama the hippie I get a better sense of the tonality in his speeches.

I was thinking about what if there were a better or closer to perfect balance of left and right handed people, holistic and linear find balance.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Has anyone done a study to see whether handedness is gender biased? I have noticed over the years that most left handed people seem to be women.

In my family, my mother is a lefty forced to be a righty, my daughter is left handed, and both myself and one sister are ambidextrous (which is less cool than it might seem... my wife used to laugh at the way I had to hold up my hands and think for a second when she'd give a "right" or "left" driving direction
)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

I know what you mean.I was treated like
being left-handed was something I needed
to be "cured" from!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
All this means is that more children throughout the world will have to have their devil hand tied behind their back and beaten mercilessly to cure them of this inherent evil present in their person. Damn devil handed folk...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGriff
All this means is that more children throughout the world will have to have their devil hand tied behind their back and beaten mercilessly to cure them of this inherent evil present in their person. Damn devil handed folk...

If my Grandmother was still alive, she would agree with you 100%.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Us left handed people are the only ones in our RIGHT MINDS!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You too? My 3rd grade teacher was the worst for that. I'd be writing and she'd come back and take the pencil from my left hand and put it in my right. Then she'd turn around and I'd put the pencil back in my left hand. I was a stubborn little tadpole.

I can remember her telling me that it was like a handicap and how much trouble I'd have later on being left handling. How it was normal and more natural to write right handed.

I can remember trying it and then asking her if it was normal and natural why did it feel so wrong and awkward?!

I kept being stubborn about being left handed and she eventually gave up trying to change me. Though she would give kind of a depressed sigh when she'd watch me write.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGriff

yes another good point... is there evidence of this pre-biblical ?

so strange how something so small can have lasting generational effects and even be imprinted across individuals who never really thought about the difference before.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
HUH?

Right handness is bad, than?

you sound just as strange as the people who regard left handedness as evil..

It makes no difference whether one is left or right handed.

And as for the 'right handednesss' being bad, as youve implied. Is that why the word 'right' connotes correct? and Left, 'to leave' as in to deviate, from whats true and right?

I think there will always be more people who are right handed. Its an indication of correct thinking, and mindfulness. The Left does imply feeling, but too much feeling becomes decadence and sensualism. which is just as bad as those complete idiots who force lefties to become right handed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join