It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "I've had it with madness" Challenge!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Yeah...that's more of your personal BELIEF not based on credible evidence

really now ? i bet your parents did not procreate you in love then ?

the meaning of life is to love so we can do one of its many things and that is procreate with it...

you are here to procreate, it says so even in the bible.

Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

Genesis 1:27-28
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

crap man that is just the beginning of the book too...

Horribly flawed argument...you mistake sex drive for love. Sure, some children are born by loving parents, but what about those who are the product of rape??? The simple fact that people get born because of something other than love shows how silly your argument is.

Also, look up "dopamine"

Oh, and thanks to the theory of evolution we KNOW god didn't create us in his image since we never popped up on earth in our current form. We evolved from ape like creatures, and before them, other mammals...your mighty book is hogwash.
edit on 2-2-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

No one's claiming math explains love...where do you even get crazy claims like that?

I was making a comment about a video... in which a surfer physicist said "everything can be explained using math"

have you not read the full thread ?

please post the mathematical equation of love... it is in the known universe you know

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

No one's claiming math explains love...where do you even get crazy claims like that?

I was making a comment about a video... in which a surfer physicist said "everything can be explained using math"

have you not read the full thread ?

please post the mathematical equation of love... it is in the known universe you know

Well, you can measure dopamine levels of people who claim they're in love, and then come up with a mathematical formula....but that's a scientific project I can hardly do from my home. I'm pretty sure my GF would be pissed if I stung her with needles just to find out how much dopamine she has

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

it is on page 6 incase you are not reading or following the argument very well...

post by Cosmic.Artifact

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

it is on page 6 incase you are not reading or following the argument very well...

post by Cosmic.Artifact

Well, like I said, you could express the chemical processes that happen in your brain when in love as a mathematical formula...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

i already told u, find the most optimal amount of variety in the MHC genes between two individuals that is sufficient to fight off parasites and pathogens

MHC diversity is directly proportional to the threat intensity of local parasites, which is a self-evident mathematical equation

both fluctuate in frequency depending on the other

humans have around 100 MHC genes, each allele is polymorphic so there is a lot of variation in how the genes are expressed in the immune system

if x = intensity of parasites, and y = ability of MHC region to suppress x, then

y >= x

on average, this is the equation for love, numerous experiments on salmon, mice, and even humans have confirmed as such
edit on 2-2-2011 by uva3021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Well, like I said, you could express the chemical processes that happen in your brain when in love as a mathematical formula...

does it transcend boundaries and and is it something every human can understand ? I am not a mathematician mind you

you appear to be asking me to prove my God, my god is love... there is nothing wrong with that btw... you also appear to be trying to get me to renounce my god of love a post or so back by saying I can not claim love as my god. well who are you (only one) to say ?

I believe you are actively searching for a definition of God and not the theory of everything... I believe also that before you should ask these questions that you should convert to "straight-up" agnosticism.

you know it doesn't really look all to cool for an atheists to be actively search or even denying that God of love exists...

be a devout atheists and practice what you preach... stop acknowledging deities, either in denial or support you are acknowledging God and deities.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

this is what a scientist does, have a belief in something and try to prove the opposite

that's what makes atheism so great, we want there to be a god and eternal paradise, who wouldn't, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe in a deity

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

NO! Majority opinion is irrelevant,

God isn't love...
Judge
Prosecutor
Jury
Executioner

I think you are mixing love up with "lust" sir... it is a very common mistake.

your bubble turns me off

edit on 2/2/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by uva3021
if x = intensity of parasites, and y = ability of MHC region to suppress x, then

y >= x

on average, this is the equation for love, numerous experiments on salmon, mice, and even humans have confirmed as such

where did you find that ? on google or wiki

this is possibly your definition which possibly you do not even understand (I am not too symbol minded myself) but this is possibly an attempt to explain the quickening of the pulse due to sexual stimulation and lust...

lust is not love, thank you very much for your searching and attempt though

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

parasites and pathogens

if x = intensity of parasites

I do not view my fellow human beings as parasites or pathogens, I do however view them as intelligent self aware beings...

it is not good to go through life thinking of your fellow human that way as parasites and pathogens... it is a very radical and racial outlook in which their is always the chance that this could lead to harming oneself or others.

be very careful with your thoughts...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
But the thing is that you're arguing from a position that a simple answer is going to be the best. This is never really the case. Even the most mundane aspects of our universe have incredibly complex answers. Unfortunately, people prefer simpler answers.

well the majority of your fellow humans are not physicist or computer programmers...

Guess what: neither am I. Hell, I never even took physics in school! (I doubled up on chemistry and biology instead). I hardly know crap about computer programming too...

And yet, I don't have a problem with the answers to tough and complex questions being tough and complex.

It's what most people don't get about Occam's razor. Occam's razor isn't that the simplest explanation is best, but that the simplest explanation which explains everything is best. If you have an incredibly simple explanation that doesn't explain anything, what's the point?

I need to see the mathematical equivalent of the theory of love laid out easily please,

Why are you asking me to come up with something that is not only incredibly removed from my own field of study (I'll give you a hint, it's based in entertainment), but is also quite possibly not possible. We might not be able to mathematically derive love...but we also cannot mathematically derive the distinction between a good and a bad smell.

until you can post your evidence of the theory of everything, how it all happened and why then I will just keep reading that book that explains it best.

So...because I refuse to give answers that I don't have, you're going to choose a book that doesn't have evidence for its answers and doesn't explain things best? I'm sorry, but it's a book that derives pi as 3. 3. It clearly doesn't explain it best. It also says that there was a global flood...for which there is zero evidence.

link   

It doesn't explain it best, until you can prove its claims, it's a work of FICTION!!
post your evidence and prove it...

I'm sorry, but why is MrXYZ supposed to prove that its fiction when you haven't proven that its fact?

What's so hard in accepting that we just don't have all the answers?
so the wanna be scientist admits finally? thank you... I never said we did. But love is a start you know.

Well, nobody on our side said we have all the answers either.

Why do you feel the need to make stuff up, or follow stuff others made up without providing any credible objective evidence???
because I am not making it up... God is love my man and you can not destroy love, though you try so very hard, it says alot about a person.

So love is genocidal? Love encourages mass rape and looting? Love outlined rules for the ownership of human beings? Love has a problem with the menstrual cycle? Love wants genital mutilation to be performed on infants? Love has committed millions upon millions of murders?

link   

like to make up your own stories i see, which is to be expected i guess

obviously in no way did i refer to human beings as parasites, and honestly i don't understand how you could make that conclusion

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but why is MrXYZ supposed to prove that its fiction when you haven't proven that its fact?

proving what is fact ? that you are searching or more like demanding knowledge of God ? I will state it yet again for you then... God is "love"

can we wrap the mind around that one

I am simply asking for an equation expressed in mathematical symbolism that explains Love, is it so hard to do ? since even you have said everything can be explained using math...

well lets see it done ! and might I add as proficiently and transcending as the Bible has...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

you haven't proven that its fact?

the fact is "love" exists and is observable...

if some can not see it I do not know what to say about that...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

like I been saying, until someone can prove to me that God is not love... even using or trying to get me to understand their mathematical formula I will have to believe what I believe.

until someone can post facts and evidence which backs up their claim that God is not love, and evidence/fact we can all understand so easily that it would have to be truth... then I will just believe anyone who says any different is delusional and lost down the rabbit hole.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

proving what is fact ? that you are searching or more like demanding knowledge of God ? I will state it yet again for you then... God is "love"

can we wrap the mind around that one

Just like with the word "objective", you apparently don't know the definition of love and randomly assign it to whatever you want...

Here, I'll help you out with the definition of "love": Definition

And guess what, not a single mentioning of god. You can't just randomly change definitions just to make it fit your little fantasy world

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

like to make up your own stories i see, which is to be expected i guess

obviously in no way did i refer to human beings as parasites, and honestly i don't understand how you could make that conclusion

it is not so hard to understand... observing parasites and pathogens does not provide an adequate definition of love... in fact only feeling love can explain it, it is something in the observable universe you know, we've all seen and felt or feel it.

hopefully we all have ?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

reply to post by madnessinmysoul

like I been saying, until someone can prove to me that God is not love...

Sure

You will chase your enemies, and they shall fall by the sword before you. Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight; your enemies shall fall by the sword before you. For I will look on you favorably and make you fruitful, multiply you and confirm My covenant with you. You shall eat the old harvest, and clear out the old because of the new.

Leviticus, Chapter 26, verses 7-9

Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Laws of Rape (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

So first she gets raped, and then she has to marry the rapist according to your "loving" god. Nice...

Death to the Rape Victim (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.

Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'
Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." Nathan answered David: "The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die."

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil.

hen a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

Unless your god's definition of love is "rape, slavery, and genocide", I think it's pretty safe to say that you can't define loves as "god". Sorry to burst your bubble

Also, we already have definitions of love, and like I said before, you can't just change definitions just because it fits your narrative.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join