It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should "Creationism" be considered a sign of insanity?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by oozyism

Because "Creationism" is the norm.

Is it? I doubt it.

www.data360.org...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The norm is believing in both evolution and in God at the same time.

edit on 6/12/10 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/12/10 by Maslo because: added link

Creationism and Evolution is synonymous.

That is my whole point, creationism is the norm, not Atheism.

According to OP's logic, Atheism should be regarded as insanity.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Just finished watching the videos in the OP, it took me a while, but I managed to grit my teeth and watch the one about the creationists in the museum. It's brainwashing to the highest degree. In science classes, no one forces you to believe evolution, they lay the facts out if you want to believe it you can, if not then whatever. With religion they hold their view high up on a pedestal and ridicule and distort evolution so that the kids think that evolution is false.

The whole circular reasoning part made me laugh, I kept on thinking back to this picture

Linking this video for anyone who hasn't seen this (Part 1 of 7)

*Sparkle*

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Perhaps neither "Creationism" nor "Evolution" should be taught as "factual" at schools. Why can't we Humans just admit that we do not know the answers to these types of questions? Make available all the data we have and let the young minds reading them come to a decision on their own. It is very narrow-minded to force such fundamental beliefs on developing minds. Flood youth with narrow-minded ideals and chances are most will grow up with narrow-minded belief systems...

edit on 6/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
reply to post by justagirl

I have to agree that regulation isnt really needed. America was founded on the principals of being able to believe whatever you want. Jesus, Dinosaurs, Rainbow Brite, Aliens, Bigfoot, 2012....
Beliefs....

Of course it's also fair to be able to voice your opinion about a subject if you think it is outright insane.

Of course it's okay for you to voice your opinion. But does that mean that you should? Just because you think you have all of the answers does not mean that you need to belittle other people or attack them in this way. Calling someone insane for their beliefs is a very strong and forceful statement. It is also not very tolerant of you, which is something you may not care about, however, you do need to think about how you structure your arguments. This is offensive to people and therfore will not get your point across. It will only serve to make people mad, but not at your argument and logic, but at you.

FYI I don't care either way, I believe that we are each entitled to our own beliefs on things like this as it does not effect the course of our nation or our economy.

Live and let live

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

Sanity dictates that you question those beliefs in order to ascertain a logical point of view

So, you know me and realize that I have never questioned what was taught to me as a child. Wow, I didn't realize that you were a friend of mine! Oh, wait, you're not! You are just a jackhole that decided to judge me on ATS!
See, that's the problem with people like you. You really believe that we should all be just like you. Because of course, you have all the answers to life and death and the souls journey, right? You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is a myth. So, the fact that I have spent most of my adult life searching and waiting for answers, and received some reassurance from Yahweh is insane, is it?
Whew, for a minute there, I was almost happy with my insane notion of having faith in my God. So glad you were here to help me see the error of my ways.

So I sound preachy, do I? Well, the OP asked for my thoughts on having myself declared insane. To me, that calls for a serious response. I mean, maybe I think that YOU should be declared insane. I mean, you're going thru life letting yourself be deluded into believing that you are your own god, fully in control of your universe. To me, that is insanity.

If you bothered to read anything that I posted in response to the OP, you would understand my beliefs about creationism vs. evolution. But of course you didn't. You don't need to do that, do you. You already have all the answers for poor, deluded ignoramuses like me.

I am normally not a flamer sort of person, but you, buddy, take the cake.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

I really enjoyed your post this morning.
I needed a good laugh after the week-end
I have had!
Should I be worried about men in white coats
chasing me with a butterfly net?
Or,should I be worried that someone will act
out a "final solution" for the religious crowd?
edit on 6-12-2010 by mamabeth because: added more to post

Like I said, the only way humanity will get out of the binds of religion will be for a new generation, WE ALL must die for our current beliefs to die with it.
Think 1000 years in the future, this ""modern"" age with its bronze age beliefs will be considered so odd and strange and simply a part of human evolution. As humanity ages so does its beliefs and culture, face it religion will be the inspiration to end humanity on a global scale, its only a matter of time before the "bad" people of this world figure out how to destroy. Without religion, the need for mass death goes with it, there will always be resource wars unless we really change our ways, but no matter how many people change there will always be groups of people that kill and murder in the name of god. So religion will always live through our lifetimes, but maybe,hopefully not our childrens children.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Just finished watching the videos in the OP, it took me a while, but I managed to grit my teeth and watch the one about the creationists in the museum. It's brainwashing to the highest degree. In science classes, no one forces you to believe evolution, they lay the facts out if you want to believe it you can, if not then whatever. With religion they hold their view high up on a pedestal and ridicule and distort evolution so that the kids think that evolution is false.
quotes

I have to say that evolution is no better at religion in how they hold their view and how the teach it. You are just biased to the one that you believe. Both state their opinion and people choose which one makes more sense to them. Neither belief has the ability to force people to believe.

BTW evolution does not lay the facts out, they demonstrate conjecture and theories, not facts. I am not stating this to prove creationism, however, it is true. Even the way that evolution scientist conduct research is from a biased standpoint, and much of it is silly.
edit on 6-12-2010 by russ212 because: Get the vids out of the quotes

edit on 6-12-2010 by russ212 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Here is the question...should "creationism" be consided a sign of insanity? Willful ignorance?

Here's a reply... should arrogance be allowed to represent science and evolution? Is this a sign that some scientific quarters are no better than those who perpetrated the inquisition?

The right to believe what one wishes to believe is not fodder for your little idealogical wars nor within your purview to command. Tyranny is still tyranny regardless of what shirt it wears. Your smug little post here is just masquerading as guileless stupidity... while actually trying to stir up trouble by insulting complete strangers.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Christ Jesus Himself, was often thought to be insane! I'll gladly stand with Him vs. a blind man who has no eyes to see the truth, such as Dawkins! You cannot compare science with faith, that is a ridiculous argument at best. Once you prove faith it is no longer such, it becomes science. Very illogical, such as you OP trying to pass your opinion off as fact.

Those are my thoughts, thanks for asking.

Pax

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Perhaps neither "Creationism" nor "Evolution" should be taught as "factual" at schools. Why can't we Humans just admit that we do not know the answers to these types of questions? Make available all the data we have and let the young minds reading them come to a decision on their own. It is very narrow-minded to force such fundamental beliefs on developing minds. Flood youth with narrow-minded ideals and chances are most will grow up with narrow-minded belief systems...

edit on 6/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

Because without physical evolution, you can't justify social evolution. So the former has to be taught in order to push the latter as the norm for society.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

here is a shining example of home schooled familys:

Then you go on to show a video On Westboro Baptist so called church. You cannot have an intellectual debate, when you have zero knowledge of what you are debating.

WestBoro church is NOT an example of Christianity!! Based on this "churches" i.e. cults actions they are an example of everything Antichrist. OP, that means anything against Christian belief.

An egregious representation of a "Christian body" (The church is known as the body).

Pax

Of course, that doesn't stop mom and dad from mentioning jesus every other second, or attributing all knowledge to the bible..and of course mixing in there religion 101. half hour teaching science, then 2 hours right after teaching religion and why science is wrong, but what the state needs for you to put down on their silly tests.

here is a shining example of home schooled familys:

edit on 6-12-2010 by paxnatus because: quotes not correct

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Very well put, TheWill, I couldn't have said it better than you did. When my own kids were coming up, we did the Santa thing for awhile, but then told them the truth, same with the Easter Bunny. Kid games for kids to play, nothing more. My ex wife took them to church, a somewhat relaxed one that didn't preach hell fire and damnation, and when the kids came home, they would ask me questions on what they had been told. I would either give them the benefit of my own knowledge, or hand them a book to read, I always felt that reading it for yourself was better than hearing someone tell you the words. I am an avid reader myself, and instilled and cultured that childhood curiosity into a life time quest for truth, in whatever one did.

Flash forward to today. My two step sons go to a church here in town on Sunday, and when asked what religion their parents were, they replied "Wiccans." Now I fear that we, the parents are being labelled Satan worshippers because of things the boys said. Today's church seems to be doing anything and everything to get new people to join, and give over their power to the unknown one they call Jesus. They are sneaky about it too. They carry a Bible around all time time and make believe they have read it. They dress in a suit, the uniform of that which is our enemy, the Banker/Corporate/Federal/Church, those who deem it necessary to control our lives, and make anything fun against either man's laws, or God's laws.
They teach that sex is sinful, so there goes that, right off the bat. A sexually repressed person is easier to control, using the promise of a religious ecstasy. They pay not a penny in property taxes, but heavily lobby our Congress for support in furthering their agenda. I am not attacking the average church going Christian here, I am after the Hierarchy of it all, the Head of the Snake, as it were. Religious persons cannot stand it when you tell them that you have no belief in what they say, for they, think it is the only truth. [They] will tell of talking to God/Jesus on a daily basis, but those to whom you talk are "Demons," or "Satan." When asked how do they know this, "I read it in the bible, the Word of God." I'm just saying....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

That soft voice speaking to you when you see a newborn baby, or witness something spectacular, unexplainable. That is God. And some people have hardened their hearts to His voice.

There! you have it. That Pure Light Energy from which you came. I know the voice, the quiet voice that is my Inner Divine Self, but unlike you I see it and hear it not as just a male, but a female also. I do not call it "Him," or apply any other "label," or "personalize" the Grand Creators, they are what they are, and need no worship, and are far and above any sort or kind of human emotion, including love and hate. Just look at the big picture for once, instead of concentration on the small one.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The problem with this whole argument comes down to the holy grail of PROOF.

You want proof of God? You do realize that once you have such proof, that is, having full knowledge thereof, knowing the names and attributes of, or sigils of, then you will own, and be owned by God, and be one with G-D. In a flash.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

That is so true,because we were bought
with a price.Jesus paid our sin debt to
God.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I was hoping to see a non-bias and very subjective approach to the subject matter. Instead I see an eloquently written rant as equally bashful as the ones written by my fellow mainstream Christians.

I could of easily written a topic stating: "Should, the belief science be a sign of arrogance?"
One sure thing about science is that, it is bound to be wrong and correct. And THATS what makes it progress.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You know I want to know when evolution theories became a fact in life?We have no clue how the universe was made.This is the type of discussions that has become so ignorant of history and faith and religion and common sense that it is insane to even think people who think creationism is real are insane.Which is worse?Obviously we do not have all of lifes answers figured out.Youd think common sense would prevail with the evolution and creationist subject.It always turns into name calling and more hatred.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The debate with evolution and creationism always goes into a lunatic smear each other routine.It is the old I'm always right and your always wrong nonsense.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If we allow the south to secede, chances are that these creationists will go away in large quantities, and thus anthropologists and other scientists alike can continue their work without the pestering from a panel of dimwits supporting yet another pseudo-science.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Another trend with evolutionist who use to be christians,all come from christians who do not teach them faith.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join