It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should "Creationism" be considered a sign of insanity?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

Sorry. One step closer my friend.

Scientists create artificial life
edit on 6-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Creationism is a sign of both insanity and outsanity. Haha playing around with pre-fixes here but seriously I think those that argue against creationism are both ignorant and arrogant. Things cannot evolve by themselves without an outside force bringing about that "change".

You mention ignorance but fail to realise that the nature of randomness means no outside force is required.

I am not a big fan of any mainstream religion because they tend to beat around the bush without giving solid answers to burning questions, but when it comes to choosing between religion and science I will always choose religion.

Interesting. When choosing between stories and provable facts, I opt for facts.

When science stops hiding everything under the pretense of "national security" this and "national security" that and most importantly stop acting like god by doing dangerous experiments that could have terrible ramifications on our planet, THEN I might give science some credit.

You seem to be confusing science with the US government.

There is no excuse for stupidity and sooner or later we will pay for our mistakes!

Amen.

reply to post by randomname

people who don't believe God created humans would rather believe that we are apes that evolved over millions of years even though it's odd that many animals on earth according to scientists have remained unchanged, like crocodiles, for hundreds of millions of years.

So because crocodiles reached a point in their evolutionary path millions of years ago which was perfect for survival in their habitat, evolution is bunk? They got perfect too soon? Their habitat hasn't changed enough since?

750 millions of years from now humans will look exactly the same way they are now. why? because it's programmed in our genetic code.

Humans today are still changing. We're becoming taller for starters.

key word programmed. to say everything is a random event is like hitting a royal flush 800 million times in a row.

You don't seem to understand randomness and evolution. Not every random mutation gave the organism increased chance of survival. Species didn't "hit a royal flush" every time they gave birth and advance their evolution.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This is extreme ignorance.

"Apes" as he calls them are NOT our direct ancestors, rather, we share a common ancestor in them, they took a distinctly different evolutionary path than Homo sapiens.

I expect this kind of argument from a 12 year old to be honest. He believes that the Organgutan is suddenly going to evolve one day into a human... *sigh*

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by justagirl

Education...proper valid education, allows for civilization.

Removal of verifiable evidence and being able to teach anything as a sound science is unimaginably destructive...one belief is -not- equal to another belief. You can believe that feeding a infant bleach daily will make its soul clean. The outcome of that should be obvious. I hope that one example should explain to you why science should immediately push out any ungrounded belief system, and indeed, be ridiculed fiercely to either pressure the person believing in giving bleach to kids is good to rethink their stance, or have their baby forcably removed.

I see religion (teaching people to stone to death other people whom sin, and to bring the end of the world) as equal to the baby and bleach issue...its not some passive "maybe there are aliens monitering earth" belief...it is a instruction book on how to be absolutely brutal and twisted to other humans that needs to be tossed into the fires of previous dangerous superstitions.

The only problem is that science also says all that brrr outside my window is global warming. Science has not given people much reason to trust recently, and for most people science is as much a matter of trust as religion is ...have you ever seen and electron? held one in your hand? I am not saying they don't exist for sure, just that for most it is a matter of faith because the closest they will ever come is a description in a book, much like creation.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Why is this strawman always resurrected. Perhaps the OP should define what he means by "evolution".

Animals changing over time (within their kind) due to natural selection/speciation or by mutation has never been argued EVER. (micro)

However the Darwinian evolution belief that all living creatures are descendants of a common ancestor is total garbage. (macro)

Evolutionists like to play word games and provide evidence for the 1st to prove the 2nd. You have no transitional fossils of any sort, no mechanism, no example of how the 2nd law of thermodynamics can work backwards... Sounds like blind faith to me.

As for the radiometric dating methods, how can it be reliable if so ANY assumptions are made (for carbon14 for example):
- amount of atmospheric carbon is the same as it was for "millions" of years
- oceanic carbom has not changed in size
- cosmic rays rays have reached earth at the same rate of time as in the past
- the rate of formation and rate of decay of c14 have always remained in balance
- decay rate hasa never changed (even though they have proved in a lab it can change)
- no contaminiation
- earths magnetic field was the same in the past as it is today (again we know it isn't because we observe the field weakening)

There are more, but I figured I wouldn't waste my time typing beings they won't be read. The issue has nothing to do with science and everything to do with you/others hatred of the Bible. So make yourself feel better by attacking politicians like Christine Odonnell and Sarah Palin because they believe in God creating this world. While you're at it (since you're so intellegent), attack Isaac Newton, Kepler, Francis Bacon, Robert Boyle, and Lord Kelvin because they all believed the same.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29
This is extreme ignorance.

"Apes" as he calls them are NOT our direct ancestors, rather, we share a common ancestor in them, they took a distinctly different evolutionary path than Homo sapiens.

Where is the proof?

The fossil tree only exists in texbooks, and no transitional fossil has ever been bound linking any animal kind to another.

I expect this kind of argument from a 12 year old to be honest. He believes that the Organgutan is suddenly going to evolve one day into a human... *sigh*

And you are not making a 3 year old's argument? That humans, and apes are related to bananas, better yet rocks that got rained on millions of years ago???

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

I gave you a star because you gave me somethiig to research about.

I always loved words which are hard to believe, but if true, really would make an impact on the observer.

Research mode on. F, I sound like a F'n nerd.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Yes, all religion is insane. I need the facts, and I think it is silly for a grown man(or woman) to believe in an entity that has power over everything and knows everything. This sounds so primitive and I find it to be harmful to real progress. Progress that should be advancing human kind.

I do agree that we need to move past belief-systems and become very concrete about the true fundamental workings of the Universe, Reality and our relationship with it.

Personally, I view belief as a flaw in human understanding and experience. To simply believe something because some one says it's "true" without critically thinking about the consequences of the belief-system can haunt you with false and fallacious ideas that do stifle progress.

Truth is never handed out, you have to work for it, seek it and experience it first-hand; and in that journey towards the truth there will always be false-truths in the form of beliefs and misconceptions.

The good news is humans are capable of understanding and realizing what is true and what is not. We are capable thinkers once we start to question everything and move past the dogma and belief-systems into more pragmatic towards truth.

edit on 6-12-2010 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, you know what they say, "religion is sanity in numbers"

A friend posted this on his facebook yesterday:

I didn't even know this was possible? To sue someone because they called something 'superstitious nonsense.'

I don't know if I would consider it insanity though, just stupidity mixed with high levels of ignorance
edit on 6/12/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If I had my way,christianity would be taught
in school.In the U.S.,we have separation of
church and state which includes public education.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
just like crocodiles look the same way now as they did 250 million years ago.

I'm sorry, but that's BS. Crocodiles aren't the same as they were 250 million years ago - heck, the different crocodiles around now don't look the same as one another (case in point, compare african Osteolemus to African Crocodylus, and tell me which one you'd rather swim with). There have been herbivorous crocodile species within that timespan, it just happens that the generalised body plan of the riverside predatory form has remained RELATIVELY unchanged, because there aren't a great many ways of being a riverside predator, and so the pressure for new genotypes to rich fixation is RELATIVELY low, because the environmental demands don't change particularly fast. They have still changed a lot, just not AS MUCH as their contemporaries.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
S&F I love this thread

You have to define crazy though, if crazy is believing in a person watching their every move and that they love you and will take care of you when you die, than %90 of the people in this world is crazy.

If I had my way Christianity along with every other religion would be punishable by death, I say no more freedom to hold back our society! Death is the only answer, we will ALWAYS have religion until this generation dies and our kids take over.It is good to be spiritual and enlightened, but to do it through god is bad, very bad, god is just a quick way to make a person feel enlightened. The spiritual path would still be open to people, which it should be, only not to be polluted with religious bull%^$^, the only way we can evolve spiritually is to forget GOD and accept NATURE. I mean we put GOD on our money and have a church on every corner that is tax free to thrive, we invade other countries because they believe in different gods, face it most wars are based off of religion, or have a HUGE part to do with them. Until you can accept that GOD is just a bronze age belief that really does hold us back as a species, you will be doomed to repeat history, keep going to church and praying, you can still walk outside the church and an airplane crashes into it. Statistically lower intelligent towns tend to be more religious, while %95 of scientists are non-religious, Seems very clear to me what is going on.
I know I am nobody to tell anyone how to live, but If I could, this world would be very different.

People say the aliens have no reason to visit this planet, I say they have plenty of reason, here you can study what religious brainwashing does to billions of people and how the monetary system never works.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

Hehe, in the UK we don't have God on our money, we have Darwin (among others).

edit on 6/12/2010 by TheWill because: on and in are not the same

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

I really enjoyed your post this morning.
I needed a good laugh after the week-end
I have had!
Should I be worried about men in white coats
chasing me with a butterfly net?
Or,should I be worried that someone will act
out a "final solution" for the religious crowd?
edit on 6-12-2010 by mamabeth because: added more to post

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I refuse to believe that in this 2010 there can still be a debate about this... it is too absurd... and even more that in the country that prides to call itself the "most advanced"...

As a deeply spiritual person, I KNOW that there is much more beyond what we know about the Universe...

HOWEVER, as any educated, thinking person, who was born with a sense of awe and wonder for the world and Universe we live in, deciding to THINK and observe, cannot escape but conclude that Creation is even more magnificent because of all the miraculous and wonderfully complex processes that have led to where we are now...

The artificial debate between Creationism-Christian vs. Evolutionary views, is like trying to decide between black and white, ignoring the billion shades of gray in between... simply not smart.

And I leave with a question for the so-called Creationists:

Explain about the speed of light, as it relates to distances of what we see out in a night's sky... or, are all the stars and galaxies then just a few steps away? Gravity??

Rest my case...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Religion and believing in a higher power, creator who sparked everything are two different things.

Every time this debate is brought up its always the assumption people take the bible literally or people believe in earthly religion. They say oh you believe in some man in the sky. This is narrow minded i dont think everyone who believes in GOD this day believes it is some man in the sky controlling our fates, weather, etc.

To me God = programmer. He wrote the software hit enter and let it take its course. Rather through evolution or not, God (a higher power) or whatever ya wanna call it sparked it and sat back to watch.

IMO it takes just as much faith to believe all the matter in this universe was condensed into the size of a pin head and after eons of time just randomly decided oh now is a good to to explode into creation. Makes more sense something sparked in that was outside the realm of physical laws.
edit on 6-12-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I always wondered if both avenues of thought could be true at the same time. Almost a deistic view of the universe, where there is a creator or God that made the universe, including the ability for life to evolve, but does not interfere with it. Like writing a computer code and letting it run, always adding the output back into the program. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oh, and *sparkle* =)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Lol, just saw your post after I made mine. Great minds think alike eh?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cerberus00

Yes

Its just the bible thumpers and science freaks are both so close minded.
edit on 6-12-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Because "Creationism" is the norm.

Is it? I doubt it.

www.data360.org...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The norm is believing in both evolution and in God at the same time.

edit on 6/12/10 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/12/10 by Maslo because: added link

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join