It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members ages.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I would rather not know how old other people are - partially because I am afraid that people would use my age to discriminate against me, but also because I know that I would interpret people's statements differently if I knew how old they were, and in what I see to be the majority of cases, that would detract.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
While I'm not an Amigo, or Admin, I think I can safely say that profiling by member ages is never, ever going to happen.

Age does not necessarily equal wisdom, or lack of it.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I called JKrog08 my friend. He was in his early 20's. A "kid" by most of our standards (I am 38).

Yet, i challenge anyone to find a more talented mind to ever grace this forum that that young man.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
While I'm not an Amigo, or Admin, I think I can safely say that profiling by member ages is never, ever going to happen.

Age does not necessarily equal wisdom, or lack of it.

Wisdom is knowing you know nothing.. or so they say..

But I have to say that I have met very few wise young people... those that have surprised me with the wisdom on words have had a mentor whom I have tried my hardest to learn from.

I don't think you have to be wise for the age tag to be of value. A very unwise person in their 60's may have recollection that isn't taken seriously because of their unwiseness (if that is a word)

If you can see my point?

Korg.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I called JKrog08 my friend. He was in his early 20's. A "kid" by most of our standards (I am 38).

Yet, i challenge anyone to find a more talented mind to ever grace this forum that that young man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom says I shouldn't post private information online.
My mom says you never know what kind of people are reading it.
My mom says I have to get offline now.
My mom says it's time for Juice and Cookies then a nap.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

No.

I can't see your point.

All it would do is lead to people being elitist/patronising about age.

It will not happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hey Korg Thorg here. I love the fact that young and old post in all forums. It does get annoying when people respond in a childish manner. I'm a self taught computer guy and old at the same time . Without my kids imput I can get lost sometimes. The youg are the juice of this site also. The old bring many story's and wisdom. We are not stupid just because we can't use these new fangeled machines dag nabit people we're just trying to keep up. It would not be good foder to have my power to profile youg or old. For me I don't care what people think of me. To old for that! To young not to be a part of life!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I find that when I disagree with someone I’m in my teens and when I agree with them I’m writing my bucket list. It would be interesting to see how old people thought I was though, see what image I’m projecting; maybe a part in your profile where people can guess your age which is then averaged to find your “ATS age”. Or not…

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

No.

I can't see your point.

All it would do is lead to people being elitist/patronising about age.

It will not happen.

Isn't it the job of the moderator to ensure the conduct is becoming of the board? If what I suggested lead to snide or ageist comments the offending post and poster should be reprimanded...

But as I mentioned earlier everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well,ATS has become the Chuck E. Cheese of conspiracy forums.

Nothing of importance is posted here or discussed here anymore.

Just peruse the topics on the main page and there are a dozen that are exactly the same.

It use to be the mods would allow the first one posted and knock the others off.

Now they just allow it all.

There is no 20 post minimum anymore either.

Just join and start a thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Good idea.

Why?

Yes I have met 20+ year olds that are way smarter. sharper and deeper than me, but - in my humble opinion, I have been politically aware since November 22, 1963 - that is about 47 years.

I have the advantage of experience.

Many cultures honor their elders, they see that with age comes wisdom - the elders are listened to simply because they have existed during many more decades and seen history in the making.

I was around when there was "colored only" signs on bathrooms and water fountains. There was no such thing as cell phones, idpods, personal computer (how the hell did I ever survive!) and hernia surgery in and out within one day, no TSA scanners or gropers, cameras on every street corners or Homeland Security.

Within the short span of a simple 40 decades so much has changed and I have witnessed these changes.

40 years ago, if you even brought up really considering aliens you were considered a "nut case". Now scientists are saying there are mulitiple dimensions and parallel worlds as well as the probability of life elsewhere.

My age?

I'm in my late 50's, soon approaching my sixth decade of life on this third rock from Sol.

Life, so fleeting, so fast.

Just yesterday I was a young, vibrant girl - and almost within the blink of an eye I am nearing the end of my journey this time around.

In my 20's I thought I knew everything - Everything was black or white. I laughed at anyone that questioned the status quo.
In my 30's I began to question but still believed "the system" we live within held all the answers.
In my 40's I began to earnestly question our earths history and public knowledge.
In my 50's I really began to see, after deeply researching, that what we have been spoon fed and what is real are two different animals.

I have personally come to the conclusion that we are a controlled species. To what end and purpose I do not profess to know.

No, I've no memory of taken a joyride to Venus or mated with a reptilian, but somethings up, somethings not quite right with the picture of "reality" we have been given.

the younger generation needs to build upon the knowledge of the older generation and expand not discount the previous witnesses to history.

We build upon the preceeding generation, in our quest for our reality.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Isn't it the job of the moderator to ensure the conduct is becoming of the board? If what I suggested lead to snide or ageist comments the offending post and poster should be reprimanded...

No.

Its the job of the poster to be civil. Moderation should always be a last resort.

Sadly, some people simply cannot restrain themselves in between the act of formulating a thought and transferring it to their fingers to type.

So why then, should ATS introduce a policy that is likely to end up in heated arguments, post removals and additional warning tags across the board?

And for what? So that some people can turn round and say "you know nothing, you're too young"? How patronising is that? How discouraging is that kind of thing to a person coming into a forum to discuss a subject?

It would also add further to drama and accusations that ATS is data mining and profiling its visitors, which is something we do not do - not that it stops the drama queens and site detractors from trying to insuate such.

ATS Privacy Policy

As I have said, its not going to happen.

People pursuing this are flogging the proverbial dead horse.

edit on 4/12/10 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Though having said that, I don't feel ATS is child friendly, I certainly wouldn't let my children frequent this site.

I'm curious as to why you would say that?

There are many young people here on ATS and I am sure they do not feel that ATS is as you say

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Though having said that, I don't feel ATS is child friendly, I certainly wouldn't let my children frequent this site.

I'm curious as to why you would say that?

There are many young people here on ATS and I am sure they do not feel that ATS is as you say

Lots of reasons.

Chiefly due to the stupendous amounts of scaremongering that goes on here. I like seeing my children being exactly that. I wouldn't want to darken their mood by filling their mind with the end is nigh

I like to watch and experience with them my children's childhood, the longer I can enable them to be children and grow at their own pace the better.

It's kind of a nexus, ATS and in fact the Internet in totality.

I feel our membership is filled with all types of people from all walks of life and backgrounds, but I feel the common vein running through our membership is the word Questing... Questing for answers to questions that most people think perhaps fleetingly about. Yet to our members these questions are burning in our minds and ATS is the place to discuss this and gather further information and discuss thoughts.

Though I think this is totally enjoyable and healthy and you could argue would help development, I do feel the overall mood of the board is quite dark and in some cases disturbing.

That is why ATS is a nexus... you have to take the rough with the smooth bit like life in general you could say.

Partly whats wrong with the world I offer, is that we are forcing children to deal with things at such a pace that it is damaging and leads to emotionally and intellectually desensitized adults.

Korg.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Korg Trinity because: grammar

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Why would a child need to be protected on here? That is the job of the kids parents. I recently discovered a very inteeligent poster I enjoyed reading, was actually a teenager. I was even more impressed, it hearkens well for our future. I would love to know everyone's gender and age and stuff, I am a typical nosy biddy! But it is not required. I have found myself surprised several times when someone tells their age. I take each post on its merits, not the age of its author myself.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Why would a child need to be protected on here? That is the job of the kids parents.

My point exactly.

I recently discovered a very inteeligent poster I enjoyed reading, was actually a teenager. I was even more impressed, it hearkens well for our future.

Exactly a reason to want to know the age. Knowing the age of that poster made you have hope for our future, yet if you found out the post was from a 50 something year old you would not have taken the comments in that context.

I would love to know everyone's gender and age and stuff, I am a typical nosy biddy! But it is not required. I have found myself surprised several times when someone tells their age. I take each post on its merits, not the age of its author myself.

I am not suggesting that age or sex should change the respect we should all observe for one another, just allows us to view the post in the correct perspective.

Korg.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Korg Trinity because: grammar

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'd be happy if I could just figure out how to search a member.
I was wanting to ask someone something but I waited and now I don't see them around.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I'm that great age, 20 - responsible enough to have a job and an apartment studio, but not to have a legal drink at the bar.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Posts like this and, more to the point, this provide some basis for the argument that knowing the age of a co-debater can cause people to dismiss views unfairly.
edit on 9/1/2011 by TheWill because: changed link

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

I think those two particular posts would have been dismissive and insulting no matter what reason they found to justify it. I'm pretty sure the accusation of being a KID is wrong in at least one of the cases

edit on 9-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join