It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members ages.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hi,

I have a question for the board.

I've been a member for nearly a year now.. cant believe it's gone by so fast. Time really does move ever unceasingly faster the older you get.

Which brings me to the subject at hand. I've noticed that when conversing with my esteemed fellow ATS members that it is difficult to understand what motivates members posts because I don't have an idea of the posters age.

An example is this thread... UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

I think it's clear that the OP in this thread is quite young and members whom are clearly older offering good reassuring information.

So ATS... What about some form of age tag on our profiles??

Perhaps it would put into perspective what our members post??

Your thoughts on this??

Thank you,

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

You can put it in your profile if you wish..
Me? I think it's irrelevant..
I have seen intelligent debate and moronic posts from all ages..

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I like this idea, however I doubt it will go over well around here. I have been quite surprised by how young some of the members are here. I certainty think its the broad range of ages and backgrounds that make this site great.

reply to post by backinblack

Irrelevant yes, but would provide some insight.
edit on 12/2/2010 by BrokenCar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

On each members profile it is optional for them to post their age. If they have decided to not publicize their age then it is not public.

I do believe it is a safety and privacy issue that people’s ages are not publicized on an internet forum.

Whether your suspicions about that members age may or may not be correct if he/she has decided not to post their age to their profile or they have refused to answer your questions towards them regarding their age then quite obviously they do not wish for it to be public.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I was more thinking a perm age counter on the avatar, one that is entered when you sign up along with your birth date. one that can't be altered later on to suit a posters 'requirement'

Although I detest moronic irrelevant posts as much as the next member, I was more thinking it would give far more perspective on what information is posted.

There is a reason we have anonymity here, but surely an understanding of the age of the poster would only add value to discussions?

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I do believe it is a safety and privacy issue that people’s ages are not publicized on an internet forum.

I hadn't thought of that. Surely, paranoia is a stable of any conspiracy fan, but think the PC crowd have scared so many with that issue it's silly I feel... then again I wouldn't want any child being damaged for any reason.

Though having said that, I don't feel ATS is child friendly, I certainly wouldn't let my children frequent this site.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You are welcome to make your age known. Most around here know I am 23.

Really though, I feel that it is irrelevant... Why? Because, I have met some really smart young people and some really stupid old people. Personal experience I think plays more into the posts than age...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I was more thinking a perm age counter on the avatar, one that is entered when you sign up along with your birth date. one that can't be altered later on to suit a posters 'requirement'

Not possible to verify, therefore irrelevant.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
You are welcome to make your age known. Most around here know I am 23.

Really though, I feel that it is irrelevant... Why? Because, I have met some really smart young people and some really stupid old people. Personal experience I think plays more into the posts than age...

Stupid old people have still lived and have memories is my point.

If their age was known then rather than dismissing their stupidity you may find some worth in their words.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

Originally posted by backinblack

Although I detest moronic irrelevant posts as much as the next member, I was more thinking it would give far more perspective on what information is posted.

There is a reason we have anonymity here, but surely an understanding of the age of the poster would only add value to discussions?

Korg.

Why is that such a compelling issue for you here? Why is there a need for the publication of a member’s age? Since you are already assuming based upon a single post the age of that member why not continue with your assumptions and not let facts get in your way?

ATS is great because it offers every sex, race, and age to post here. We have a wide variety of opinions, backgrounds, and voices here which contribute to the quality of this website. If some members are lacking in proper literary skills they could be young or they could have a form of learning disorder.

Why not just guess members ages? Guess mine.
edit on 12/2/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I think thats very dismissive.

True there is no way to verify but if it was added when a person signs up and couldn't be changed... perhaps it would be a feature less likely to be misused??

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
OP is this a form of age discrimination?

Does it reek of a civil rights problem?

It is the duty of the older generation to help the young people understand things they have not experienced.
We old people are teachers in a sense.

There are many times when the teacher becomes the student of the younger person.

We all can teach each other no matter what age we are.

I personally find our younger members to be a reason to have hope for a better future.

One of the problems with older members is sometimes that they get stuck in an age and stop trying to absorb new ideas.

The opinions of our younger members is of great value to this old lady.

When you stop learning you start dieing.

OP I am 63 years and 10 months old.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

It is my opinion, which by posting this suggestion, you were asking for. Whether you feel it's dismissive is not the point. Application of the concept is the point. At least, that's what I meant the point to be, though it was short comment, true.

edit on 2-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Why is that such a compelling issue for you here? Why is there a need for the publication of a member’s age? Since you are already assuming based upon a single post the age of that member why not continue with your assumptions and not let facts get in your way?

Because I'm not infallible, I do make mistakes and as you said my assessment is an assumption.

I think compelled is far too strong a word, I just think knowing a members age would add value and allow me to sum up the post or member far easier than at present.

I happen to think facts are important and rather than treat some members whom post childish comments as idiotic and treat them harshly as I often do, I might just give them a break.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I can verify yours mi lady...so yes, it is relevant. Ransom for this info will be delivered via U2U, and it's gonna cost ya' hottie.

As a matter of fact knowledge of this type should be shunned - but only because it has no relevance - context does.

More than few youngsters on this site impress daily - embrace it.

edit on 2-12-2010 by facelift because: just to point out that i'm ripped beyond belief and my posts reflect this - so...you know this. wow

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

You make very good points dizzydame.

I attempt to apply as much knowledge and literary expertise into my posts as possible. Take for example the thread I just made regarding ‘Liberty over Equality’, I applied my literary abilities with my knowledge of those issues to create that thread and I don’t want to be discriminated against just because I am only 218 months old.

I personally feel no problem publicizing my age but I don’t want it to be shown like a badge.
edit on 12/2/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

I think my ATS age will be 04/01/1900 - I think that portrays wisdom and experience, no?

edit on 2-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
When I tell you that I read something in a book in 196***** something surely you must run out of fingers and toes to count?

But hey you can just call me old fart.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I completely agree!! Personally, I speak to everyone with the same amount of respect, but a lot of people on here do not. I think this idea could be modified into something a little less specific. For instance, a "Minor" tag, so that we know and are aware of the youngsters here....they can either be protected or reprimanded, if necessary. Then other tags can be "20 something", "30 something", "40 something", and so on, if people don't want their specific birthdays and ages noted.

People need to understand that age does matter. It's not a matter of intellect, it's a matter of life experience. It may not matter to everyone, but there are many here who it does matter to. I think communication and respect could be greatly improved if we were humanized a little more to each other without sacrificing anonymity.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

More than few youngsters on this site impress daily - embrace it.

I have generally been able to notice if a member is older than about 40 if they post “youngsters”.

Am I incorrect in my theory?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join