It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members ages.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
OP is this a form of age discrimination?

Does it reek of a civil rights problem?

No, not at all!!

It is the duty of the older generation to help the young people understand things they have not experienced.
We old people are teachers in a sense.

There are many times when the teacher becomes the student of the younger person.

We all can teach each other no matter what age we are.

I personally find our younger members to be a reason to have hope for a better future.

One of the problems with older members is sometimes that they get stuck in an age and stop trying to absorb new ideas.

The opinions of our younger members is of great value to this old lady.

When you stop learning you start dieing.

OP I am 63 years and 10 months old.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of the first two lines

But how would knowing someone's age change any of the above?

well for one it would allow you to put into perspective the points of view. Using the example I posted in my OP, the OP of that thread thought it was the beginning of an ice age because we have a few feet of snow... When others myself included can remember winters harsher, maybe not as early as this one but worse still.

In this case knowing the age of the OP would allow others to provide information faster than was available and more credence on the posts where memories can offer value.

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Korg Trinity

It is my opinion, which by posting this suggestion, you were asking for.
If you feel it is dismissive than that is your opinion.

Without verification, it does not have practical use. If one is able to register with a throw away email, then why would one provide (or even be asked) for a birthdate? I see no benefit, again my opinion

edit on 2-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

No offense was meant. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Whoops - I was editing as you responded. I meant to make the point that my response was to application of the concept, though in reality I do agree that age and life experience have an impact on one's world views and will change over time...

edit on 2-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Am I incorrect in my theory?

3 short...but good enough M.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Come to think of it, I think my ATS age will be 04/01/1900 - I think that portrays wisdom and experience, no?

It's a game, when I'm bored.

You tell no lies...always a pleasure LS.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven
I completely agree!! Personally, I speak to everyone with the same amount of respect, but a lot of people on here do not. I think this idea could be modified into something a little less specific. For instance, a "Minor" tag, so that we know and are aware of the youngsters here....they can either be protected or reprimanded, if necessary. Then other tags can be "20 something", "30 something", "40 something", and so on, if people don't want their specific birthdays and ages noted.

I like this idea a lot!!

It achieves the purpose I was intending without any of the nasty negatives people seem to be feeling it would lead to.

People need to understand that age does matter. It's not a matter of intellect, it's a matter of life experience. It may not matter to everyone, but there are many here who it does matter to. I think communication and respect could be greatly improved if we were humanized a little more to each other without sacrificing anonymity.

Absolutely!!

I have met some pretty idiotic pensioners in my life but still listen to them because their life experience is worth more than gold.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think my ATS age will be 04/01/1900 - I think that portrays wisdom and experience, no?

OOOOOOOOO...you an old one...

was April fools even around then??????

I was born in 55 so that makes me.....55..LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

I was more thinking a perm age counter on the avatar, one that is entered when you sign up along with your birth date. one that can't be altered later on to suit a posters 'requirement'

Not possible to verify, therefore irrelevant.

I think thats very dismissive.

True there is no way to verify but if it was added when a person signs up and couldn't be changed... perhaps it would be a feature less likely to be misused??

Korg.

Wow, so this is how the internet license thing gets it's start? Yawn.

Get to know people before you ask them how many 'rings' they have, or what 'they do' for a living. I find that you can tell everything you need from just reading the text, and skipping the names and avatars all together.

Time has a nasty way of slipping by, and some of us are over a hundred; we hide our secrets from everyone, esp. the doctors. Unless you are getting into carnal relations, age is just a number. Save your desires for the nwo. They'll like them.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Entirely agree; the more we know about other posters the faster we are able to make judgements about them.
When applying for membership, prospective members should have to fill out the following form:

Name:
Address:
I.Q. level:
Race:
Religion:
Skin colour:
Health status:
Prefered foods:
Weight:
Previous convictions:
Membership of clubs and associations:
Political affiliation:
Marital status:
Number and ages of children:
Education level: (Please list all qualifications)
Profession:
Yearly income gross:
Yearly income net:
Properties owned:
Businesses owned:
Enterprises one has a financial interest in:
Hobbies:
Payment received per post:
Source(s) of payment:
Status of teeth:
Do you post with or without pants?

Before membership is approved, a jury of 12 members should be sent to the applicant's house, to determine the veracity of said applicant's answers to the above.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Freedom of choice...add your age if you want or don't doesn't matter I have found that our youth can sometimes surprise us with an insite that we miss or fail to see and us older generations through experience or having lived through things our younger have never done or experienced to give helpful suggestions as we sometimes get so set in our ways we fail to look and listen therefore are rendered unable to learn so I always like to see what get's posted as it is clear what the age ranges could be but it really doesn't matter.
We can all learn from our brothers and sisters on ATS and since this is a global community where ideas, theories, humor, hoaxs, etc... get posted it creates an atmospere for provoking thought and new ideas and paths to thinking outside of the box. ATS, It's a wonderful place for all ages and nations

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I have notised..moronness is not patented by young people..Even old people have sometimes unbelievable lack of maturity..

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I think I'm probably the youngest here on ATS. At age 16.
I know now my age is known, that I'll probably be thought less of by some, but I couldn't give a rats ass.

I may be young, and I do make some immature decisions, a lot. Everyones been through this stage. But I bring a youths point of view into the world of conspiracies and current events.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Are you serious.

I can just see some members now.

Nationality: Pliadian/Grey hybrid.
Mood: Hopeful my age won't give people an excuse to dismiss my opinion or create a bias in relation to the content of my post or threads.

edit on 3/12/10 by atlasastro because: old age

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Gotta know how old somebody is so you can quickly disregard their opinions as either young and naive or old and out of touch.

I get hit with both accusations pretty frequently. So far I dont think anyone has gotten my age right within 10 years when trying to write me off as either young and dumb or old and senile.

Probably means I'm in the right since I'm apparently not typecasting my point of view into some preset box.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Korg Trinity,

I go to "search" put in the username and read a few posts and you can get an idea of that ones go on things. Us older folks see a lot of things the young don't because of where we've been in better days. Some think things are going just fine and can't see this deceived country of people will never come back to what she onece was. But us old bucks know that it is going to get a lot worse and fast. Some young see it too because of the people they have been around and trained them so to speak. We can see the country and the whole world fast pulling away from Christianity, True Christianity. From my perspective I see time for this old world to be short. I would warn all to turn to the True God, Yahweh and follow His Word and not organized religion. So how old am I? Well I know something about how things where in the depression America went through back in 1929 on.
We always had illiterate among us and today it is not better than when I was a kid. You can tell a lot by how well people spell in their posts. Some don't like to reveal their age and that's OK, I can soon tell pretty close.

Old Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

T.M.I if you ask me.
2nd

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Good question, wish it could happen. I believe the majority of Posters are under 25. It show from the language used, to responses to their own post (or lack thereof). I find many times just by asking questions it will get to the point the poster doesn't have the ability to answer.

The age and maturity does make me feel that I should not even look at ATS. So much is BS.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I think I would honestly rather know the persons gender rather than age. Age isn't important and neither is gender for that matter, but sometimes it really bothers me that i cannot tell what a person is when seeing their avatar and posts and name. I do not know why but that is just the way that I feel. I do not think either would become what you are wanting, but I do wish you luck in your pursuit. If you are wondering im a 23 year old male in the United UnConstitutional States of America, On the 20th of January I will be residing in Mexico with my fiances parents and brothers for the sake of leaving this country behind while it falls down the whole of Unconstitutionalism. Sorry becoming off post here i tend to randomly get sidetracked and ramble in threads sometimes

Edited: I guess I should have read this thread all the way through. the tags with the ages of the 20 somethings, 30 somethings so on and so forth would be perfect! But Gender goes right along with the whole lifes experience and wisdom thing.So Maybe it could read (in my case) 20 Something,Male. I think I used to be on a forum that was like that at one time when I had first gotten the internet in 2001. I could be wrong as I have done many things to ruin my memory since, here I go rambling again so this is all!
edit on 3-12-2010 by Kurotachi because: Reason? Because I felt the need

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Youth, is wasted on the young.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePyramidAgenda

I think I'm probably the youngest here on ATS. At age 16.
I know now my age is known, that I'll probably be thought less of by some, but I couldn't give a rats ass.

I may be young, and I do make some immature decisions, a lot. Everyones been through this stage. But I bring a youths point of view into the world of conspiracies and current events.

Cheers
Brady

No, you are not the youngest on ATS, but I do like your attitude. In my opinion, the younger members here do indeed bring a fresh point of view to the table.

I have found also that this point of view has stopped me more than a few times and made me think, and has also changed my point of view on certain subjects. Not as rare as you might think although you probably will never hear about it as us old folk tend to be fickle that way..

The one thing that you will find however is that these "immature decisions" will follow you throughout your life. Yes they will diminish, but they will be with you till the day you die...

We are all learning after all........

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
According to alexa above top secrets audience is much older then the average web site and particularly well stocked with people in the 55-64 age range

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join