It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

this isnt nonsense, i live in scotland in the uk, one of the parts worst hit and we have never not in my lifetime and im 32 had snow fall like we are witnessing, especially this early, we normally dont get snow till mid january im literally snowed in, we have empty shelves in the supermarkets, because food lorrys are being trapped, its reaching -18/19 in some places which is not normal, even for scotland which is a cold country generally.

this is being caused by the gulf stream ..which has stopped to to the gulf oil spill, no warm currents, and were being hit with this weather because of it.

here are a few links

www.timesonline.co.uk...

vodpod.com...

ec.europa.eu...

edit on 3-12-2010 by NWOnoworldorder because: add links

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It can't be the start of a new ice age because technically the last one hasn't ended yet....

"An "ice age" or, more precisely, "glacial age" is a generic geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'd suggest to remove "OFFICIALY" from post title by "POSSIBLY".

it's true snow is coming earlier and a bit heavier this year, but how's exactly gonna be the world "covered in snow" by mid-june 2011...?

Im not here to counsel Repitilians New Lords of The Universe no offense but Im pretty sure there better ways to wipe us all out.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm in Central Scotland and I've got 3 feet of snow covering everything. Which is worse than anyone can remember ever.

However I don't see the evidence for the OP's gloomy outlook.

No doubt the wind will change and it will disappear as fast as it fell.

I am surprised there hasn't been more deaths as a result of the snowfall so far and low temperatures.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Looking at the title I was thinking the OP would post something interesting. This is IMHO complete nonsens and waste of time for making a threat.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
People get way way too worked up over weather.

In the 1970's Time put a new ice age is on the way on the front of the magazine.

For the past 10 years we are all going to die from global warming.

Now we have another ice age on the way.

People grow up. Just because you have weather that is unusual or bad does not mean the world is going to end. It just means that you have bad or unusual weather.

The weather goes in cycles. As for global warming, who is to say we are not still coming out of the last ice age and getting to normal temps. As for this thread. Who is to say that this is not normal? 25 years ago we got record snows where I live. Maybe this is just part of the cycle.

As for those of you that says this is the worst in thirty years so it can't be a cycle. Who is to say that it is not a 100 year cycle?
edit on 3-12-2010 by russ212 because: Quick addition

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
reply to post by PuterMan

this isnt nonsense, i live in scotland in the uk, one of the parts worst hit and we have never not in my lifetime and im 32 had snow fall like we are witnessing, especially this early, we normally dont get snow till mid january im literally snowed in, we have empty shelves in the supermarkets, because food lorrys are being trapped, its reaching -18/19 in some places which is not normal, even for scotland which is a cold country generally.

this is being caused by the gulf stream ..which has stopped to to the gulf oil spill, no warm currents, and were being hit with this weather because of it.

here are a few links

www.timesonline.co.uk...

vodpod.com...

ec.europa.eu...

edit on 3-12-2010 by NWOnoworldorder because: add links

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gulf stream has not stopped.

How is the gulf oil spill effecting this again

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little scared of everything aren't we. Next your going to say that this is because of Niburu.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Apart from being worried, which i'm not btw..i am bloody embarrassed at the UK's complete failure to be able to deal properly with a few inches or so of snow!

We're known for our consistent bad weather, but EVERY time we have even a whiff of snow here, everything stops.

It's like our 'authorities' have never seen snow until it starts falling out of the sky each or every other year.

It's pathetic.

We had an empire that spanned a third of the entire world once upon a time...no idea how, we can't even cope with a bit of frozen water, and it seems it's beyond the wit of airports and train companies to think of solutions.

Ah well...guess i'm really apologizing to the members who regularly have to deal with mega snow drifts, months of -20, -30, -40+ temps, and manage to do it without a drama or a crisis!

Not ALL of us Brits are as pathetic about the weather as others seem to be, as soon as the white stuff falls.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

Time to bust out the Snowboard/Skis

I live in northern Michigan this is the norm here every winter.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Well said mate! It cracks me up how some people go so over the top on how bad the weather is.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
To the OP , MODS and Owners

It is threads like this that are the reason most of us old members are no longer visiting
the ATS site like we used to.

that and the severe lack of the following:

manners
sources
common sense
education

such a shame..........

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

*Bangs Head* Where do you people come from?

Ice Age

I don't laugh at your thread because ''I don't understand and I should be warned that it will happen!!'' (2012)

.... But rather that you really are being misguided by information your being subjected too. remember this site is full of theories ( ideas to you )
and you should think more along the lines of common sense not far fetched ideologies of an ice age.

It's just a little snow, enjoy it!
Go make a snow man before it melts!

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Please do your research! The UK is not buried under feet of snow. Parts of the UK are. Please do not generalise. I live in the South west and have been out and about on the roads today. A light dusting at best

Bring on the Ice Age. I am ready and will take out the reptilians out!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

not meaning to be rude but a picture of a car covered in snow is not proof

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So what? New Jersey got raped with snow many years ago. I remember seeing feet and feet of snow outside my glass sliding door...but I was probably about...6 or 7? So it was fun for me.

And guess what? If this site existed then and you were a member, you would probably make the same thread but about my area.

It's SNOW. Not the end of the world.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

There is definately something uber extreme about these temperatures, and the news tonight did mention that this will continue till at least the New Year, so actually you may be right.
Maybe, just maybe this is it, and welcome to the new ice age !!

I suspect the jet stream, the conveyor belt, could be perilously close to shutting down, I know the news has reported a kink in it, but jeez I hope this isn't the case because an awful lot of souls would perish...

The shortages are already starting, some service areas here in North Yorkshire have one days diesel left, and in Asda today a lot of people had trollies stacked to overflowing...and it wasn't all xmas food either !!

Brrrrrrrrrh....I just pray for summer

edit on 3-12-2010 by uk today because: typo error

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Last winter was much more extreme in Europe if i remember right. There was 2 weather systems acting same time, North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and El Nino. There is no El Nino now, but NAO is still in effect, making extreme northern locations warmer than normally and cold weather hits central Europe.

Here in Finland we had about week ago lot colder than normally in November, but now temperatures are only about 10 Celsius, pretty much average. Weather is dryer than normally, not much snow here yet.

Definitely not ice age, but global warming makes this happen more frequently.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Look, you're all missing the point. I live in Scotland, and I can assure you that across the central belt and right up the east coast there is a covering of snow that has been unseen in my lifetime. I'm 34, by the way, and I've never seen two foot thick snow in urban areas. Ever. I've never seen drifting covering the front of folks garages.

Ever ever.

Digging up little ice ages and arguing in a petty fashion that we've been here before is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that we have returned to prior conditions over the past two winters. Why is that?

Well, some folks pretending to be smart would say the jet stream has stopped. Other 'clever' folk would argue that the North Atlantic Oscillation is showing a largely negative value. These are irrelevant too, because these type of data show what is happening only right now. I could look out the window for that information.

It's a white-out, by the way.

What is REALLY going on is the Gulf Stream has been interrupted. It has been declining and eddy-ing off randomly for a number of years, has paused completely in sections at times, and is currently very unpredictable.

Try Googling Global Thermohaline Current.

If it stops, we're all in big bother. All the information is out there. Last winter was a stoater (Scottish for a bad one), and this winter is worse and earlier. Sea temperatures didn't recover during a pretty cool summer. Cooler seas mean less evaporation, less evaporation means less cloud cover, less cloud cover means greater heat loss, greater heat loss means less evaporation, less evaporation means less cloud cover...

Get the picture?

The cycle has to be broken by an outside factor. A highly active solar maximum might do the trick. I'd suspect that's how things recovered in the past.

Then we'll have to listen to the global warming bigots again...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh, and while I'm on a rant, can I add that England is getting loads of snow on the east coast, but not to the extent that Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and even east Glasgow has. London has next to nothing, and until it does, 5 million Londoners look out their windows and say 'I don't see any fuss'.

Try digging your car out of your runway on the west of Scotland, an area that has grown palm trees right down the coast for decades thanks to the warming effect of the gulf stream.

They all died last winter, by the way.

-25 degrees celcius in Altnaharra two nights ago; first day of winter.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I've never replied to a post on here before, but being from the east of England I have to tell you (rabbigoldstein) that we suffer from this kind of weather almost every year. Yeah it's come early, yeah it's a bit heavier than normal, BUT, if you'd taken the time to research you'd see that we've had worse in the 'noughties', much worse in the nineties, and a helluva lot worse in the the eighties. End of the world? Don't be so stupid.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join