It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:
kix

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I wonder how the global warmer will explain this last 2 winters in Europe.

We are currently in the summit for global warming in Can Cun Mexico and here in Mexico we have had 5 years of unusual rains and lots of river overflows, then the temps here have gone WAY down, even in the Summer we have had days of 5C to 7 C in the morning and no more that 20C at mid day....

I dont think we will go into another ice age but maybe we will experience a some decades of extreme weather (most of it cold), and maybe then we will push for more carbon in the atmosphere...LOL.

My 2 pesos

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kix
I wonder how the global warmer will explain this last 2 winters in Europe.

We are currently in the summit for global warming in Can Cun Mexico and here in Mexico we have had 5 years of unusual rains and lots of river overflows, then the temps here have gone WAY down, even in the Summer we have had days of 5C to 7 C in the morning and no more that 20C at mid day....

I dont think we will go into another ice age but maybe we will experience a some decades of extreme weather (most of it cold), and maybe then we will push for more carbon in the atmosphere...LOL.

My 2 pesos

That's exactly what I am saying!

What you are describing in Mexico is unusual for you.........but here in the UK , that sort of weather has been the norm for quite a few years now in the summer, excessive rain falls, rivers bursting their banks, homes flooding!

Crazy arsed weather!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Although I have watched many a documentary about the frequency of the small 10,000 year ice ages and that we are seemingly, if numbers are to be believed on the cusp of said Mini's, then this could indeed be the start.
Word of caution it isn't a one season build up event....it is a gradual event over decades or even centuries and the only quickening of the event may come about by unforeseen circumstance e.g Super Volcanoes, Cosmic Debris to name but two.
Our European/UK climate will get colder in winter and wetter in summer......Living in Wales .......same old, same old........
. Thread is correct to a degree but not so immediate, more of a simmering dilemma.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

Good analysis

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
When it rains over the weekend and washes all the snow away, I'll take pictures, document it just for you.

I don't believe the ice age has begun at all. If you follow the link posted, you will see that Britain used to have worst winters. Ask your grandparents, they'll tell you all about it.

These people have kindly documented and colour coded the winters dating back to 1875.

www.napier.eclipse.co.uk...

Just for good measure, I also asked my mother about bad winters, and she told me a fine story about the time it snowed in June :]

1880 - 1881
6in in Oct. (London 19th). 18-21st Jan., Great Blizzard, East Devon to IOW, 3ft level - worst on record (10ft drifts in Evesham). Dartmoor 4ft.

edit on 3/12/10 by stefplz because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/12/10 by stefplz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yeah, the North Atlantic Current coming to a stop might set off a mini-Ice Age, but even all-of-a-sudden would take at least half a decade. And I'm fairly certain that the Snowball Earth scenario you mentioned at the end is a bit of an exaggeration.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

The gulf stream has recently changed its course, away from its protective swath across northern europe.
interesting telegraph article here

And...another interesting link here

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
We've got a hot summer coming this year (December to March), so down here it's a global warming scenario.

Shows how confused all the experts are doesn't it!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well Iive in the UK so maybe I can help give evidence.

If I look out the window I can see... very little snow. No fresh snow fall in at least the last 48 hours and only small patches left on the ground. I'm in the midlands so whilst it may be a bit colder in the north, you can be certain the lower half of England is just as uneventful. While I like to entertain some pretty mad ideas, I'm afraid this is just a bit of early snow.

No sign of lizard men either. Though since we've been known to punch flaming terrorists to the ground I suspect the british could handle it.
edit on 3-12-2010 by ZombieJ because: spelling fail

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

dude, i live in michigan. this is nothing compared to what it looked like here in the spring.
I'm just sayin'...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I think the jury is still out on this one my friend. It may be a harsh winter but an Ice Age???

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OleMB

Originally posted by casijones
WHAT?!?
You mean there's SNOW in DECEMBER?!?!

That's just crazy... I don't believe a word of it.

Please note the sarcasm, and no, I really don't believe it.

If there's 10 feet of snow in, let's say, August... Then I might be a bit concerned.

If you think you have to state the sarcasm in that post, you must really think we are the most stupid people ever. Congratulations on being the 70th post to bash the thread-starter. You guys disagree, we get it. Please understand that you guys are not contributing at all with your "disagree with the thread-starter in the funniest way" competition. Please, if you disagree so sincerely just move on to another topic and get over it.

I wasn't BASHING I was making a fn JOKE. Learn how to take one.
And thanks for taking the time to write that whole paragraph, which like you said, contributed nothing. So maybe you should get over it.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Just a post in support of this theory.

So far the cosmic debris and/or a volcano in the Ocean off Greenland are the two I am focusing on trying to live past.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by win 52
Just a post in support of this theory.

So far the cosmic debris and/or a volcano in the Ocean off Greenland are the two I am focusing on trying to live past.

exactly, i mean the news about the gulf jet stream i cant believe people arent taking more seriously!
you kidding me?????? this is what normally prevents britain from getting as cold as siberia!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
My Good GOD!!!

its snowing and cold in winter...surely the end is nigh.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Its snow not white death for gods sakes! We have about 14 inches here where I live, but thats nothing as back in the early 1980's it wasn't unusual to get that in an afternoon. We coped back then as it waa a regular thing, but as local authorities try to save money they cut back on what they percieve as 'un-needed'. The 1st thing to go was support against very heavy snow fall.

The world does not grind to a halt because of a little snow, alarmist clap trap I'm afriad. Norway and sweden have been dealing with levels of cold and snow far in excess of this for decades and you dont hear them moaning like bitches because they can't do something they want to.

Personally I can;t stand snow and I'll be over the moon if we dont have a white xmas. But dude...get a grip!

Wayne...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Well, I live in one of the harshest areas of Scotland. 1500 ft above sea level in the Highlands! The weather we are having here may be classed as extreme (2.5ft snow) BUT this happens every year here! its only 2 weeks earlier than normal and us highlanders are very capably folk in the winter! Trust me, nothing stops here for a few poxy feet of snow. I still drive my jeep to work every day, the kids still go to school and the public transport still runs.
The winters used to be like this all the time in the past, its just that we have had a few milder winters in the 80's and 90's and got used to it.
anywoo, -20 deg C clears the lungs in the morning! Bring it.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I've heard that global warming can indeed precipitate an ice age so the two are not incompatible

Whatever - I'm 60 and I do remember some tough winters. Point is - conditions would only last a few days at most. Then poof - gone.
This little rural spot I live in (Yorks/Lancs border) is a pretty good barometer of conditions because we simply don't get help from the council. Some of my neighbours have lived here for 30 years or so and they say they've known nothing like it. IT being prolonged cold and ice. The last 3 years I've noticed a steady worsening. One by one we are getting 4 wheel drives or snow tyres. I've bought a sled to haul down supplies from the road.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck. Not good.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
As a Canadian roughly on your relative latitude I can tell you that you ve pretty much had it easy up till now. Snow really isn t the end of the world. Ironically for some bizarre reason where I live is not getting s much snow anymore; as evidenced by the previously prelavent habit of any 2 story house to have a second floor door - one of which i am looking at from the inside right now. It's not that bad. Not like where i grew up somewhere in central Canadiana, where i can remember seeing telephone poles with snow up to the top rungs. Didn't even merit a mention then.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This guy is CLEARLY a troll. His declaration that we had all agreed that the Ice Age was happening on page 2 or 3 confirms it. I'm amazed this has garnered so many posts. Meh... I guess I'm adding to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join