It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Since I do -in a sense- agree with you, those pic repies make you look like, well, undeveloped

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asherwerx
This guy is CLEARLY a troll.

Indeed but it's an interesting topic nonetheless. And to the Canadian above, point taken. I think for the UK the issue is - climate change IS happening but we are not geared up for it. Authorities are still in denial about our winters. So you get the ridiculous scenes we have had lately, a huge loss to commerce and even some deaths. Also, it seems to me that over the last few years, we have had increasing freak weather conditions over the world. Apart from anything else this could decimate crop production. It could lead to panic migration and sound the death knell for global economies.
Just lookin on the bright side

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

I am from Gander Newfoundland, and when it snows, it really snows. We had to have massive dump trucks for out snow plows. The snow on the side of the road would be higher than the houses. They literally had to remove snow from the roads on a regular bases.

What the UK has is nothing. Just a snow fall a little ahead of its time. When you can start to climb on your local super market would be the time to react.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I'm in UK near London on the south coast and nearly all the snow has gone overnight because even though it was freezing cold we had heavy rain last night, bizarre. My garden has gone from 6 inches of snow to a few patches left on the grass.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Hey! Al Gore is not that bright is he? He should have thought up some kind of snow tax, that would have made him millions....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Just fearmongering at its best. The snow is melting and if I had bothered reading this thread when it was first posted, I would've told the OP to calm down and, well.. shut up. The media hyping up this weather isn't doing any favours - They must be bored. Rain is on its way (Just as rational people have predicted) for England and Wales.

If this is a mini Ice Age, it's laughable, since I saw worse in the eighties and nineties. The winter weather at the start of the year was annoying. I barely notice this one.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

By the way, whatever source you can supply, it will need to be at least as reliable as the UK Met. Office.

Mike
edit on 2/12/10 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

as reliable as uk met office?
are you sure?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Jesus Puterman...exactly HOW old are you mate!

(sorry, that sounds terrible!)

My mum says she remembers a really, really cold and snowy winter back in 65-66...she recons it was unbelievably cold...she'd just given birth to my older sister, and was (unfortunately) living temporarily in a small caravan while they were just getting their business off the ground...Brrrrrrr...a caravan! Must have been a nightmare!

I'm a child of the 60's/70's, and i remember the massive snow drifts we used to get in the 70's...sometimes they were up to 10 foot deep...i loved it as a kid.

I cannot understand how the UK managed to continue on as if nothing had really happened back then, but get a foot of snow these days, and it's kind of like 'We're all doomed'!! and most of our society more or less stops...i don't get it.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
omg this isn't the start of an ice age. Here in the UK we used to get weather like this until about 15 years ago. Then it started to become milder and snow was quite rare. Now this kind of weather is returning, It was the mild spell which we had which was out of the ordinary, not the snow. My dad used to tell me stories of how they used to have ice skating on the nearby lakes so we've had this kind of weather many times before.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It's been much colder. 200-300 years ago (duirng the LIA) the thames river used to freeze up.

Me thinks this is a joke topic.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Jesus Puterman...exactly HOW old are you mate!

(sorry, that sounds terrible!)

Thanks for that! That gave me and the mrs a real good laugh!!!

I was only 5 at the time (born 1948) yet it is one of the clearest of my early memories - along with finding our cat after it was missing 6 months.

I went down the road from our house with my parents. I am certain it was '53 because I remember the Coronation poster very faded hanging on the Church gate. Hope I did not get 2 memories muddled up there but I don't think so. At the bottom of the village there was a junction and a road that went to Petersfield. It had high banks but was quite broad - but was full of snow. The men of the village were cutting a pathway through it about 6ft or so wide and I clearly remember walking into the start of this with the walls towering above me. It was a bit scary actually.

Many years later I went back that way and measured that and it was about 17ft from the road to the top of the banks.

My mum says she remembers a really, really cold and snowy winter back in 65-66...she recons it was unbelievably cold...she'd just given birth to my older sister, and was (unfortunately) living temporarily in a small caravan while they were just getting their business off the ground...Brrrrrrr...a caravan! Must have been a nightmare!

Far be it from me to argue with your Mum. I thought the really cold one was '63/'64 when my parents had no running water for over 2 months. (I was OK I was away at boarding school) No toilets, no water - Nightmare!

I cannot understand how the UK managed to continue on as if nothing had really happened back then,

I am probably going to get smacked down for saying this but I believe it was because we had only just emerged from WWII and the attitude to getting on with things was very different then.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

this isnt nonsense, i live in scotland in the uk, one of the parts worst hit and we have never not in my lifetime and im 32 had snow fall like we are witnessing, especially this early, we normally dont get snow till mid january im literally snowed in, we have empty shelves in the supermarkets, because food lorrys are being trapped, its reaching -18/19 in some places which is not normal, even for scotland which is a cold country generally.

That is not true and at 32 do you actually remember the 80s and 90s?. I used to travel to Scotland (the Highlands) frequently in the 70s and 80s and in the 90s I too stayed in Scotland by Nairn and we had massive amounts of snow by comparison to today's standards especially in the hills above Nairn and it was often blocked at Grantown On Spey and similar places, but in reality it was no big deal. The Bens usually had snow by September and we nearly always has a good dose of snow by Christmas. It may be slightly earlier this year I will grant you, but we used to have the Snowman Rally around Nairn and it was usually quite deep by that time in Nairn.

If people are stupidly panic buying good luck to them. It is short-sighted and wasteful.

this is being caused by the gulf stream ..which has stopped to to the gulf oil spill, no warm currents, and were being hit with this weather because of it.

:shk: Go and do some research. The Gulf stream as NOT stopped, and certainly not because of the Gulf oil spill. The Gulf stream is driven by Polar cold fresh water. The reason for this current cold snap is because the JET stream has moved, not the Gulf Stream.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boyg2004

I'm 34, by the way, and I've never seen two foot thick snow in urban areas. Ever. I've never seen drifting covering the front of folks garages.

This is because you are nowt but a nipper!

Get used to snow. It happened before and it will happen again.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You can be sure that its more complicated than you say. It was cold last year remember. Nothing to do with oil spill also.

Ever since al gore opened his mouth the northern hemisphere has been cold in winters(like it should be anyway), like the sun said f you to gore, lol.

edit on 12/6/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

Just for good measure, I also asked my mother about bad winters, and she told me a fine story about the time it snowed in June :]

I can confirm that. I remember it. Even made a snowman!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

your Gulf Stream Velocity map from the other thread had a time stamp from 2005. Any chance of finding the current stream velocity. I cannot.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Well, after saying the snow had gone away from here in the far north west england, it hit us heavy again last night, so I went out just after midnight and built a snowman, here he is (i've had to slap a censored sign on him as i posted this last night and got a 500 point deduction and a warning sign, despite my references to Michaelangelos David, lol)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb0b8183b860.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
as i have stated previously in this thread this is nothing new ...yes it is rare to have early snow and ice ...it is not new.

just watched a docu on UK television that interviewed a very old guy who stated clearly that this happened a lot in the 1930`s.

we just need to `remember` how to live with snow.

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle

your Gulf Stream Velocity map from the other thread had a time stamp from 2005. Any chance of finding the current stream velocity. I cannot.

I think the problem with the gulf stream theory is that this weather has come from the east "Siberia" nothing to do with the gulf stream.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

indeed , yes you are correct, it was because the ` Jet stream ` had sunk down to above Africa....(we even had extreme cold and snow here in Portugal.) this allowed colder air from the East and North-East to rush in .

thanks

snoopyuk

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join