It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is driving me insane !!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My father is a former 20 year military pilot and I hate flying.

I was born in Northern Ireland and I flew to Germany after 8 days of living. Ive flown solo across the atlantic and with family about 3 or 4 times. I've flown to Texas 8 times alone. What im trying to get at is I have flown sooo much, and yet I still hate it.

My advice:

Wait till a plane crash and then fly. Usually it runs in cycles, plane crash and then 9-12 months of nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
oh thanks.. thats great..
ill say
sorry mum sorry dad im not going anywhere ill stand here looking out the window at all the planes coming and going till one crashes and THEN and only then ... will i come on holiday with you...
lol hmmm

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
u can tell im from england can't u... hehe

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Once I died on a plane. Yes, it was about two years ago.

I'm just kidding, don't be scared.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Just think that your just on a bus
....or just knock your self out
or i could do it for you

But just think there are thousands of flights
around the world every day and about 5
disasters a week. All you have to worry about is
Terrorists (e.g Me)firing rockets at planes.

PS i have fired a rocket at a plane (sky rocket) whoooosh BANG!!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I used to love flying, but ever since 9/11 I dread flying.
I still do now... Even though they say it is safer than being in a car, it is not in my oppinion.

If you are in a car, and it crashes - you still have a good chance of surviving. If you're in a plane, and it crashes = 100% chances are, you will die!

About the comment of trying to go to sleep while on a plane - yea, unless you fly business class (at the front of the place) - wherever you sit, you are very close to the engines - it is so noisy!

I can never sleep on a plane, not even when I flew to California - 13 hour flight.
What I try and do to overcome the fear, is the following:

* Close the shutter of the window - I hate looking outside, especially when you're going through turbolence (sp?) - the wings look so flimsy shaking all over the place.

* If you are in an aircraft that has in-seat entertainment (yes, economy class has this also) - pay attention to that. Try taking a personal CD/MD/MP3 player with you - this can help the time pass. also.

I cannot think of any other ways that could help, I am still trying to find ways myself, lol. After my flight to NY a few weeks ago, I got a little more confident (I hadn't flown for 3 years until then).

Good luck with it... I know how you feel, to a certain extent - and it is not funny at all.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead
If you are in a car, and it crashes - you still have a good chance of surviving. If you're in a plane, and it crashes = 100% chances are, you will die!

This is how I feel. I know that planes are statistically much safer than cars, but I can't help it. In a car at least I have a chance. I know, this isn't helping.

I don't like flying. But I do like airplanes. Odd, no? My Dad has been dragging my family to airshows since before I was borne. I like looking at planes (especaially racers and warbirds) and love watching them fly, but I hate flying in them. (Yes, I've done it. I just hate it.)

My Dad and now my sister are both pilots. They love flying. They tell me all kinds of stories, and not always reassuring ones! Of course, my sister and Dad love rollercoasters and I can't handle those, either!

A lot of airplane deaths are associated with small planes and pilot error. If you're on a big jet you're very safe. I know that doesn't help me though. What I do is look out the window on take-off and give myself a pep-talk. I force myself to see the beauty and wonder of the landscape as we go up.

I'm supposed to fly to texas this winter to visit relatives, and I'm not real keen on flying there. But I will because I have to. Try to focus on the marvel and beauty of it. Once you're up in the air on one of those big jets it's pretty easy to forget you're even on a plane.

Good Luck!
Cercey

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Find a good counselor skilled in desentization sessions.

Behavior mod is a good treatment of choice for such phobias.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What I hate is the turbulence and looking outside the window and seeing the wing bouncing all over the place looking like it's gonna fall off. I'm just hoping there's enough rivets remaining to keep it attached to the plane.:shk:

Peace

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
One word...

Xanax.

That is how I survive the flight, and usually the brats going back and forth between Chicago & London!
I LOVE to fly, but after 3 hours of little suzie screaming for Spongebob. Its the kid goes or I go to lala land.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I want to post a link here which has helped me greatly, I was terrified of flying......www.fearofflyinghelp.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Thats similar to my fear over the paranormal, after I was attacked by an BLACK ORB- if you want to believe me, I always have a feeling that somethings in the room watching me and hurting me, its true, I actually feel something grabbing me, poking me, or seems like im being electricuted. That orb was scary b/c it only moved in four directions - north, south, east, west, not going up. They way it moved was in a way that your not used to seeing. IT made these sounds, sounded like lighting and bolts of electricity going everywhere, it went inside me where my heart was loacated and maybe thats why I get these strange feeling but whats weircd is that when it was inside me everything was in slow motion and i was like, agh, but it sounded like it was slow also i couldnt control myself and i was moving without doing anything but the cross of god i got from communion so long ago was directly behind my heart, maybe it didnt see it but that cross kept it from "possesing" me somehow. But then it came out behind me and moved back and fourth and rammed itself into my picture (which after that it turned purple instead of red) and the picture fell down but after it was gone it went back up like it didnt fall down. Plus it had a long tail like a comet and you ever hear those stories when someone sees a ghost they think its an alien, well that happened to me.Ah i can feel them right now as im typing this grabbing me. AHHHHHH!

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You know what's fun about being aerospace engineer (or student in this case)? You can scare the living
out of people if you want or you can fill them with confidence. I personally love scaring the
out of people for fun and to see if I can. I can tell you right now that the main spar on almost any plan you fly has cracks in it. I can also tell you that it's meant to do that and these are a somewhat well understood phenomenon and perfectly safe. Another thing I can tell you is not to fly any airplane that's more than twenty years old. Airplanes come with a 20 year warranty, anything that breaks outside of normal maintenance is charged to the builder. Thus, the planes are built to last twenty years, only that and nothing. Therefore, after twenty years the builder doesn't give a flying
about what happens after. To say it simply... don't fly Aero Mexico. Flying is safe, I can tell you from design and understanding that they're safe from the inside-esque perspective.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Have you ever considered the possibility of traveling without airplanes? I mean, I cannot comprehend how someone with such a fear of flying cannot find a way to travel without an airplane. There are feet, horses, cars, trains, and ships. Perhaps I am wrong, but if your fear is so great then a little planning beforehand will allow you to travel by another means.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yeah, how about going by ship ?

On my first ever trip (that I can remember that is lol) I was scared as we took off and felt like my heart was gonna come out of my mouth lol but after that initial shock I actually like the take off now. However I actually get sick every time the plane lands now (embarrassing to say the least) which is weird, just started out of nowhere about 3 flights back. But flying can still put the fear of death in me, I think that is just natural. I think the airline U fly with has alot to do with whether U enjoy your light or not.

I suggest U just get a hold of someRescue Remedy and do your best to think about other things. I take a heap of stuff on board with me to entertain myself like a book, a portable DVD player and 2 movies, a puzzle book and Ipod.
Also a mention of your fear at the check in desk can prove beneficial, the flight crew will take extra special care of U

Maybe a trip up to the cock-pit could help U get excited about flying ?

I am about to board a flight for a visit home in 21 sleeps (yayy!) and as much as I am dreading the flight, the thought of where I am gonna be once that sucker lands takes precedent over anything else. I will be taking a laptop though, am addicted to spider solitaire right now and know it will keep me entertained for hours lol

Try get excited about the wonderful place/s U will be visiting (a guide to the city/country u are going to will keep U busy also
)

Best of luck to U

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Plane accidents are low, but that is not the problem, while in a car accident you may get out of it with a broken leg or an injury in a plane crash you have little hope, so if you are in a plane accident then it's very hard to get out of it alive.
While the rate of accidents on the street is biger than the ones in the air you got the confort of having biger chances of geting out alive from a car accident.
What matters is to get out alive, not the rate of the accidents, I would say it's safer on the road from this perspective, when you're up there and all the sudden you go down I would say you would get more than a headbump.
I would rather be in 10 accidents and get out of them with a broken leg or a dislocated arm rather than 1 accident by plane.
This thing with the rate of air accidents being lower than accidents on the grownd is just air line propaganda so their profits would not go down, I would say if you have to fly then fly, I too fear air transportation, they should find a way to make accidents in air less life costing , the problem is that the body of the plane is rather fragile and it would not suport a parashoot on biger planes, a parashoot would be useful not to sustain it like it sustains sky divers but to atenuate seriosly the impact even if it's more harder, that is the next step in flying, and it's in development in to being put in pratice, however the exact time of when this is going to hapen we will never know :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
You know what i fear ? All this racist moderators in ats.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join