It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If SHTF, this is the gun I would bring

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonestar24

What are you capable of with a bolt action 5.56 that you couldnt do with a semi auto magazine fed?

Also...(not to you)

Tha 50cal rifle is completely useless in this scenario...The ammunition alone weighs a ton and around where i live its like driving a ferrari in dontown NYC during rush hour. There just isnt any open spaces to utilize the weapon to its potential

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stryker Ops
reply to post by nite owl

What I fear with scenarios like you've suggested for a sniper like that is I'll be walking towards a town to establish a civil life with like minded folk loaded with my small arms only to realize half my torso is missing just before death.

ALSO Project, thnx for the heads up on the Bushy I think I'm going to move towards the AR and or M4 models. I have become interested in the Colt M4 but I've heard some bad news on the tolerances make it a somewhat picky gun.

I think in the wake of a SHTF disaster anyone in a group thats traveling will most likely be interested in you for what they can take from you. If SHTF tomorrow rest assured anyone coming up my driveway will probably be shot unless they know the predetermined "SHTF approach procedure".

The AR15 platform is so vastly produced nowadays that they are all prety much the same...You pay more for name tags but most of the vital components are made in the same few factories. I built mine from scratch...I reccommend doing this because you learn how things go together and if something breaks you have a good idea on how to fix it

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

ATS logo stripped lower group buy?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by BingeBob

ATS logo stripped lower group buy?

Yeah...you wanna talk about the government tracking something...they would know exaclty where all of those are at all times!

Plus mine would probably come with a spanking from a mod. HAHAHAHA
edit on 3-12-2010 by BingeBob because: added

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well personally I have a group of friends along with family members all have plans for different scenarios as such each person has a designated weapon that they are very proficient with so here's a list of the weapons we have chosen for a SHTF situation.

Mossberg Mil spec 590A1 (very nice gun uses better components that the Mossberg 500s and has a nice heavy barrel plus an awesome ghost ring sight) also have a Remington 870 Magnum. Ammo load out includes 2 3/4" and 3" 00 buckshot I am deadly accurate out to a little over a hundred yards even with the 870s little bead sight., Sabot Slugs, 3' Turkey Load #4 shot, #7 bird shot for collecting game and are also very nice against door locks.

Remington 700 Bolt Action in 7mm Magnum with (very accurate and good for any north american game) with Leupold 3-9x scope and iron sights still intact just in case the scope takes damage. I have also glass bedded it into a synthetic stock to increase ruggedness.

Savage .308 bull barrel bolt action reserved for a little close ranges than the 7mm and for a little easier to take down target such as 2 legged critters and much more common ammunition than the 7mm. Also with a Leupold 3-9x scope.

3 AR15s 16", 14.5" and 11" barrels I'm not going into optics for these as they all three have different optics. Keep in mind with the AR15s it is not hard to find milling plans for a full auto sear in case the # really hits the fan.

Each person has a side arm ranging in calibers but my personal sidearm is a Colt Elite 9mm and a Springfield XD .40 S&W as a more concealable backup with much more common ammo.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In a sniper situation, having more than 1 sniper in position at once is a good idea. and that group of 10 everyone mentioned should be met with at least equal firepower and good defensive positions, to find out intent. If hostile f*** them up, if not mabey you could do some trading before sending them on their way, however, highten security for at least 3 days after the group leaves. Survival is about being better prepared, and if you do kill them, take their weapons and ammo, don't pass up a chance to better arm yourselves. If they wanna join you, give them a trial period if they have usefull skills, if they don't or they aren't accepeted send them off. Also bolt action is very reliable, much less likely to jam, and probably easier to fix. Regardless use what you can.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
In a sniper situation, having more than 1 sniper in position at once is a good idea. and that group of 10 everyone mentioned should be met with at least equal firepower and good defensive positions, to find out intent. If hostile f*** them up, if not mabey you could do some trading before sending them on their way, however, highten security for at least 3 days after the group leaves. Survival is about being better prepared, and if you do kill them, take their weapons and ammo, don't pass up a chance to better arm yourselves. If they wanna join you, give them a trial period if they have usefull skills, if they don't or they aren't accepeted send them off. Also bolt action is very reliable, much less likely to jam, and probably easier to fix. Regardless use what you can.

bolt action is nice for sure.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If I only had one choice it would be a 12 ga. shotgun, as it covers about everything. After that it would be a 223 and my Glock 40. I would choose the most dependable high production weapon (for easier to find parts) that shoots the highest produced ammo, also a lot to be said for a 10/22, quiet, accurate, lot's of parts made and you can carry a lot of ammo.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Excellent choice!

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

I was just considering such a weapon.

A bulk tin of 880 rounds should be all that you'll ever need.

What is the difference between corrosive and non-corrosive ammo?

edit on 12-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

"Permanent base camps" would be a disaster. FB (Fall back) positions (no less than 4) that give you and yours the "ballistic and terrain advantage" with the greatest concealment, practical logistics (re-supply) and "lines of extraction" (as many as possible), that offer the best "uninterrupted communications" are critical. The "shoot and scoot" Guerilla tactics would be another excellent way of "doing business". "Pungee Pits and pungi sticks"(Bear traps), trip flares, well placed mines, diversionary trails etc. would be of a great benefit as well.

Just an opinion, I would never put any trust in "strangers". It is going to be difficult enough to be sure that those who are with you do not "turn" on you. IE "Brutis", "Judas" ETC. Don't forget that food and water will need to be "shared". There will be those who are willing to kill you just for your food and water supply. Don't let them know where you are camped and be sure you are not followed. Escape and evade tactics.

JD Black, that is an excellent post you wrote. You know what to do.

Scoutsniper

edit on 12-12-2010 by scoutsniper because: I added a comment

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If I just had a backpack and had to disappear into the woods (and hopefully not be found), just a ruger 10/22, or only a 22 revolver for bagging critters for lunch, but if weight were no object and I could haul lots of firepower, and for defense purposes wouldn't mind having an AK-74, an 1894 model rifle chambered in 357, Taurus 608 revolver, a bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06, a semi-auto rifle chambered in 7.62x54R -like a dragunov, a Romanian SKS, a Saiga AK-47, a Glock 17 with a 30 round clip, a Mossberg Cruiser shotgun, a Mosin Nagant 91/30, a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, and heck, throw in a concealed Kel-Tec PF11 for added jollies, and tons of ammo too, but the aforementioned is more like a gun collection or small arsenal instead of a single "go to" gun.
edit on 12-12-2010 by bigrex because: gun model error

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies - didn't realize this thread had generated all this interest.

Most common criticism seems to be availability of ammunition - and that's a very good point!

I'm just glad people bothered to respond at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird
Thanks for all the replies - didn't realize this thread had generated all this interest.

Most common criticism seems to be availability of ammunition - and that's a very good point!

I'm just glad people bothered to respond at all.

very nice point for sure.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
your gun seems very poweful
but the gun i like best is AK-47 .an excellent weapon for Personal defence.
i hope that i can own one but here citizens are not allowed to own a gun

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Just wanted to add this post that was a reply to the Survival gear I would take thread:
____________________________________________________________________________________

reply to post by NRA4ever333

I needed to add this to the list of survival gear. If they can track you, then they can find you.

This is important when it comes to living "off the grid" There are two useful pieces of equipment that are needed in addition to all the equipment needed to Live off the grid.

Be sure to get rid of these chips before mobilizing and hitting the trails

One is a detection devise that will show you where RFID chips have been imbedded into any product.

www.amazon.com...=asc_df_B003IGPVU21355697?smid=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O&tag=nextagusmp0357647-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASI N=B003IGPVU2

The other is equipment to "degauss" that RFID chip after you have detected it. This will destroy the chip and prevent it from radiating any signal.

www.nextag.com...

Almost every major retailer has placed these chips into almost every product including car or truck tires. To remove these threats of having "Big Brother" spying and tracking you, they must be neutralized. The degaussing wand will do that after you find it using the "bug sweeper". The one listed here will also produce "white noise" which means that no one can listen to your private conversations using Laser listening systems.

www.electromax.com...

This is crucial as we all know that cameras, listening devices and tracking devices installed in cars, are watching and tracking us. Clothes and just about everything that costs over a dollar has an RFID chip implanted into it. Credit cards, drivers licenses, money etc have chips.

www.creditcards.com...

Here are some "pointers" in how to level the playing field.

www.ehow.com...

These chips are everywhere. Do a weapons check. The chips have been installed on certain weapons as well. "Check your gear"

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by scoutsniper

Of course there must be multiple fallback positions and ways to those positions. Also if we need to fight the government and the people we are well and truly screwed. Mabey use tunnels like those in Vietnam (in any long term SHTF senario, especially if you have the knowhow and the means to set up a couple of spots before hand, or without alerting anyone. The chips will be problematic for sure, but it is impossible to track all of the guns in the US, even those owned legally. Also, as this seems to relate, are there any guns that don't need to be registered? (in US preferably Ct or Vt (ct me vt grandpa)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

my first choice would have to be either a real m16 with burst/full auto or an ak74 full auto and my side arm would have to be a good rifled 12gauge doesnt matter what brand to me and then for a pistol id have to had a 10mm glock for some decent stopping power.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by scoutsniper

your links do not work could you please u2u them to me as i would really like to pick some of this up for myself for x-mas

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

This ammo is usually surplus but I have heard cases of ammo like wolf being corrosive. Almost all, if not all surplus on the Market these days is corrosive. What makes it corrosive is that there is Mercuric type salts in the primer of the ammunition, when this ammo is discharged it literally coats the barrel in these salts and will rot your barrel if not cleaned the right way. Hoppes solvent and etc will not work it will rot under it. What I use is Windex with ammonia I shoot a lot of surplus threw my Mosin M44 and the bore if fine, except for the soviet troops who had it before me did not clean it right after shooting corrosive ammo. Simply to get those out use a bottle of windex and spray down the barrel to opposing end makeing sure it does not go on your action. Always do towards muzzle. Next let it sit for about a min the put one patch down the barrel. Then repeat that step again. Next spray some windex on patches and run them down the bore until they are clean. Usually 3 or 4 will do the job but if shooting a lot more may be needed. Next dry your bore very good and procede with regular cleaning. Make sure you spray your bolt face with windex also. I personnally like to take the bolt apart and clean it. These steps are for BOLT ACTION RIFLES. Semi-Autos are diffrent because of the gas system, but use the same base. There are many ways to clean corrosive ammo but I find this way to be very easy and reliable and I have used it for years. Make sure you use the windex part at the range and dry it and when home do regular cleaning

ETA: Sorry for the multiple posts if a mod sees this could you somehow add all the posts together as to not flood the thread? if so thanks!

edit on 14-12-2010 by Kurotachi because: reason given in post!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join