It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
There is something BIG in the center of our galaxy. To make two 25 thousand light year gamma ray emitting structures, it's gotta be crazy big.
edit on 10-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: factoid correction

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

**********Okay here is an analysis based on some physics I know**********

(Two explanations, bottom one I like better)

I was thinking that it might also be linked to the super black hole in the center of our galaxy, however the spherical shapes of the clouds seem to me to suggest a point of origin in their centers. But they have to be related somehow, because obviously the line between the centers of the clouds passes through the center of the galaxy.

Actually... thinking about it... there is the possibility that two identical anomalies / objects of some kind were thrust out of the galactic center, meaning they originated there, but ended up where they are, also meaning they are probably moving.

Okay this is another point that I have thought out. I am of the opinion that there are objects in the center of the energy spheres that are emitting the energy, that means that the spheres are not necessarily the structure.

That would explain the spherical shape of the clouds, because the energy would have a point of origin in the center and would be emitted with the same velocity in all directions.

THIS MEANS that whatever was thrust from the center of the galaxy is moving away from the galaxy in the same rate that the energy is moving away from it, that is the only way to explain how the spheres perfectly touch the galaxy at the top of them.

Since the clouds are 25,000 light years across, that means that the distance from the center of the galaxy to the cloud is around 12,500 light years, and assuming the objects are moving at the speed of light (since they are moving at the same rate as the energy emitted from them) the event would have happened 12,500 years ago.

Conclusions:
1. There is an object in the center of each sphere. The object is not the sphere.
A. This is explained by the fact that if energy is emitted at the same velocity in all directions, it will make a sphere around the object in the center.

2. Both objects were emitted from the center of the galaxy.
A. This is explained by the fact that there is a line between them that runs through the center of the galaxy. This would also follow laws of conservation of momentum, since there are two objects.

3. The objects are moving away from the galaxy at the same rate their energy is being transmitted from them.
A. This is explained by the fact that the radius of the sphere (which is the energy cloud) is exactly the same as the distance from the center of the sphere to the galactic center, or point of origin.

4. The objects were emitted from the center of the galaxy 12,500 years ago.
A. Since they are moving at the same rate as the energy is being emitted from them, it must be the speed of light.
B. The radius of the sphere, or distance from the center of the galaxy is 12,500 light years.
C. Therefore the event happened 12,500 years ago.

... Wait a minute. Not long ago. Anyway someone tell me what they think of these conclusions, I could be wrong. I do realize black holes supposedly emit nothing.

----------Explanation II----------

There is another explanation! According to a previous poster, the galaxy would be electro-magnetic. Thank you! This would explain perfectly how it would collect stuff in those formations. This would also explain the positioning of the lines of energy around the galaxy in this image.

edit on 10-11-2010 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

What happens to everything that gets pulled into a black hole? Do planets etc. add to the bulk of the collapsed star causing an increase in it's size and the strength of its gravitational pull? I know what creates them, but as far as anything else concerning black holes goes, I have to plead ignorance.

Short answer: yes, black holes can gain mass by absorbing matter. Black hole growth

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Nope.

Hawking radiation

it seems that these 'black holes' can emit rather a lot of different things... Thats how they are detected... how else wud u detect something you cant see...?

See buddhasystem's post a page or so ago.

Black holes emit nothing.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

It's the Incredible Hulk. Planet Hulk warned us of this; he must live in the center of the galaxy and he got pissed off and decided to punch a couple of planets or some other massive heavenly bodies out of the supermassive black hole that is his crib.

Or I have no idea what it is.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
They really don't know what is causing it? REALLY? I thought it was common knowledge that black holes emit all types of radiation?

Good lord. If NASA doesn't know this yet, I worry for them. I knew this years ago.

Energy is never destroyed, just converted. Gamma radiation. These 'bursts' also keep the pinwheel type arms of the galaxy in 'line' I would expect too.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This my friends is the radiation that created the fantastic 4

a Storm of cosmic radiation!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

If NASA does not know what is going on, I doubt you and the rest of us on here know what is going on...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayTaylor
reply to post by Oozii

If each plume is 25,000 light years in length then doesn't that mean that this has been going on for a minimum of 25,000 years? I say this because unless gamma radiation can somehow move faster than the speed of light then it has to be constrained by it right?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, otherwise this isn't really anything to be scared of since it hasn't bothered us for at least 25,000 years.

i would agree with this, supposedly EVERYTHING is limited to the speed of light wich means these have been oozing for 25,000 years, my question and someone elses too is since we have been using this telescope for over 2 years why are they just now releasing this info?

and to all the wanna-bee scientists who are just sure they have the answeres, please remember your kind use to think the world was flat
so maybe remember that when your telling people what can and cant come from a blackhole,lol

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

im telling you guys its the catalyst for rapid evolution soon will all have super powers

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
structure |ˈstrək ch ər|
noun
the arrangement of and relations between the parts or elements of something complex : flint is extremely hard, like diamond, which has a similar structure.
• the organization of a society or other group and the relations between its members, determining its working.
• a building or other object constructed from several parts.
• the quality of being organized : we shall use three headings to give some structure to the discussion.

I dislike how the OP used the term structure IMO. I was expecting something else

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Meh, it was the headline from NASA, so they are the one's to blame.

I'm just an innocent messenger.

edit on 10-11-2010 by Oozii because: -

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
S+F!

Our galaxy and universe never cease to amaze me...I love this stuff.
Hopefully NASA (or some other space agency) can make sense of all this stuff in due time.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii
reply to post by Jordan River

Meh, it was the headline from NASA, so they are the one's to blame.

I'm just an innocent messenger.

edit on 10-11-2010 by Oozii because: -

Retraction from what I said.

Props

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Thanks much for the help and the link to what promises to be a wealth of very interesting, and informative information!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MrX07

dude, what a complete off topic pile of nonsense you littered in this thread

Welcome to ATS..now keep on topic and read the terms and conditions already...else your stay here will be very short lived.

stick that in your NWO pipe and smoke it

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Would this maybe have something to do with an experiment that occured at the LHC the other day ?
related to this post?
abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by XPLodER

clearly from the pictures our galaxys blackhole is emmiting something dont you think?
xp

Dude, for all we really know, the black hole could be emitting the Galaxy. No, really.

THEORY FOLLOWS
the super massive black at the centre of our galixy is the source of all energy or vibration for our galixy it sets up a "field" in space for matter to interact in this "feild " consists of an energy in a form we are yet to measure.
for every atom that interacts with this "feild" two things happen
1. vibration or energy is imparted into the atom
2. angular momentum or spin momentum is imparted into the atom

the energy cannot be created or destroyed law or conservation laws are by definition explaining to us that matter as energy canot be destroyed yet the more matter a black hole consumes the smaller it gets.
some will say that this is because black holes contain negitive energy and this balences out the positive energy and cancells out any incoming matter/energy but when a black hole is too small it will explode with a gamma ray burst
so if the energy has been balenced or accounted for where does the energy for this gamma ray burst come from?
it is more likely that gamma ray emmitions are a constant and are an indication of an energy release from the black hole.

energy released from the pole reigions is slightly higher than the energy consumed at the equator from consuming matter/energy and this accounts for the fact that the black hole is shrinking.
this energy travels in lines like lines of magnetic force out the top around and through the acreation disc or galactic plane encountering matter at right angles to the direction of travel and imparting angular momentuim to the helio spheres of the stars and there systems as a whole.

the shapes described above and below are areas where the energetic nature of the "field" lines are consentrated and have a greater chance of interacting whith photons and creating a gamma ray interaction
like the arouras at the poles of earth

in my opinion there is a interaction that can be described as small close lines concentrated but slower moving
in the center medium sized lines moving at a medium speed at a medium concentration and at the outter lines the concentration is much lower but the speed of travel for the lines of force is higher

in this way the closer mass to the center it gets the more it interacts with the strengh of the lines of force the further away from the center you get the more its the speed of the lines imparting more angular momentum
in this way there is a inverse square propotional to the strengh/distence and and inverse square to the speed/distence of this "feild"

this is a theory of mine and im glad i get to share it
xploder

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by XPLodER
nothing can escape the gravity of a black hole lol
except hawking radiation
except electrons
except gamma rays
i wounder how long the list is going to get

This is oversimplified to the point of nonsense.

If an object crosses the radius of Schwarzschild sphere, then indeed nothing will escape. However, violent processes happening just outside can and will result in emission of all sorts of radiation and particles. That's one of the ways we can explain such emissions happening in the Universe, which can't be explained by normal star evolution.

will you agree that gravity effects are witnessed outside a black hole?
if so you recognise that feild emination of gravity are possable coming from the black hole
so if gravity feilds can extend from a black hole what about magnetic?
if you agree magnetic feilds can be extended from a black hole what about heat?
if you agree heat radiation can extend from a black hole what about free electrons?
so if free electrons, gravity, magnetic feilds and thermal radiation all are being observered
and all are an expression of energy can we truly conclude nothing comes from black holes?

xploder

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Could this massive black hole in the center of the galaxy have sucked back some super nova at one time?
Perhaps the centre of the galaxie is so crowded with stars that their interactions gravitic, magnetic, or electric or all three cause energy releases of some sort from time to time?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join