It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Can anyone say for 100% certainty, and provide evidence or math to demonstrate, that something from this bubble (shockwave, radiation, wind, etc) won't arrive on 12/2012? Just curious because that would be, well, fascinating...

I'd love for someone to answer this.

~Namaste

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
shoot, when i read the caption i thout for a second they ment they spoted a huge space station or sumpthing lol. what a jip, o well. giant bubbles are hella cool too
im shure this would be way cooler to me thow if i were smarter and could understand the full ramifacations of new discoveries such as this

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Too bad it's invisible to the naked eye.

Under certain conditions it is visible to the human eye.

SL

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Hello,

Perhaps you could change the title of your thread because from what it describes I thought you were talking about something else...I was a little disappointed.

On a different note I think this discovery is rather profound and interesting, I hope that our understanding of science can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AusWade

I would if I was still able to do so.

If a Moderator would like to change it so people won't think it's a solid structure that's fine.
As I mentioned, I used the headline that Nasa used for their article.

Nasa.gov

I'd like to add this video as well from Nasa.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

it looks like its over 1000 light years away and according to Einsteins law nothing can move faster than the speed of light.

im not saying that its impossible for it to reach us at 2012 but according to our own limited knowledge it is impossible

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Can anyone say for 100% certainty, and provide evidence or math to demonstrate, that something from this bubble (shockwave, radiation, wind, etc) won't arrive on 12/2012? Just curious because that would be, well, fascinating...

I'd love for someone to answer this.

~Namaste

The fact that we've detected it means that it's already arrived. Think of it like a nearsighted man getting glasses and now he can see the mountain, which for him was always a blur. From his perspective, that's how it looks, however, the mountain has been there before he was even born.

This "structure" is millions of years old and any "shock wave" that will have occurred would have happened long ago.

The fact that it exists is fascinating and wonderful.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
very interesting. Did you notice the somewhat symmetric form in the images, both horizontal and vertical?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Everything they've been giving us is connected in some way...the world is rigged worse then professional sports.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reminds me of that one theory dont remember what its called but scientists speculated that universes are just membranes floating in a multiverse and when two of them collide it could cause a big bang. perhaps those are two membranes in the midst of colliding and once they fully collide then no more universe lol. just the first thing that came to mind.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have read a number of books by Dr. Paul A. LaViolette, and thought this sounded interesting in light of some things he has written about galactic superwaves that originate from the galactic core. Here is a link to a youtube audio interview with him. It's pretty far out from the viewpoint of the current paradigm of physics and cosmology, but I think there may be something here. There are 3 segments to the video, so make sure you see all three.

Dr. Paul A. LaViolette and Galactic Superwaves interview

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I wonder what else is out there. How they got there, or how they were made is still unknown, for now atleast.

How it was made is known....GOD made it.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
No one should be surprised by this structure if they have ever seen a wave function.

Or if they have seen cymatics demonstrations.

The paradigm is busted.

PEACE.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I don't know about you, but gamma ray bursts give me the heebie jeebies. They can also occur within our galaxy when a super massive star starts to collapse and form a black hole. When it does this, it can generate a gamma ray burst along the axis of rotation.

These are very high energy events, and if Earth was hit by one it would be very bad news. Our ozone layer would be ripped off and our sun's UV light would make life on the surface very difficult.

It is ironic that Fermi is the name of the telescope to find this. There is something called Fermi's Paradox, which basically states "Where is Everybody", referring to alien extraterrestrial intelligence. Quote: "The apparent size and age of the universe suggest that many technologically advanced extraterrestrial civilizations ought to exist.
However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it."

Some physicist claim that galaxies actually "sterilize" higher life forms in this fashion and may have led to previous mass extinctions on Earth link: www.nasa.gov...

Even with our current technology we could build generation star ships and populate many earth like planets within a few hundred thousand years. So given the age of our universe, where is the heck is everybody?

However, these gamma ray bursters from stars have to be relatively close to us, say 20LY, but the effects would be dramatic. I would guess only bacteria living underground would survive and eventually evolve again and spread to the surface.

This current discovery from NASA poses no threat to earth, the jets are more or less perpendicular to the plane of our galaxy. Whats more dangerous are those big stars nearer to us about to go supernova, if we get caught in any gamma ray bursts they generate, it will be a bad day.

I suppose humans could survive this by building underground shelters and storing stockpiles of food and seed. But I can't help wonder if galaxies are constantly sterilizing planets by these high energy and deadly bursts. Maybe that explains why SETI hasn't found anything yet, and why ETs aren't applying for green cards.

It also tells us how special we are in this vast universe. Maybe with better understanding of these phenomena, we could take steps to ensure the continued survival of our species and the human spirit.

Couple more links: www.wired.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium
reply to post by Oozii

I wonder what else is out there. How they got there, or how they were made is still unknown, for now atleast.

How it was made is known....GOD made it.

Gonna have to argue that point... When something is known, it's a proven fact (unless you're delusional). I don't wanna rain on your parade, but if you believe that, it's totally cool, but it's NOT known. I'm sure that science will eventually have an explanation for it though.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think alot of scenarios, but it could just be that galatic waste dump that civilizations more advanced than us could of. I also think that it could be a black hole sucking up the our galaxy and we would never know.... Or we could of possibly just view it under the wrong spectrum, and just seem that way. I also think is could be a worm hole...? im not saying i know that but it could be some other possibilities...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I did not see anyone mention this yet. But here is news from NASA, is it related?
Did anyone else see this yet:

www.nasa.gov...

Not much info to go on. We will have to wait to see.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Just the sheer size of the universe is reason enough we dont see or know of other civilizations if they exist. Your mind cant wrap around at how huge the universe is and even at light speed its thousands of times to slow to transverse the universe in a timely manner. Thier could be billions of advanced civilizations but few with ftl or wormhole type technology. No wonder we dont see other civilizations.

edit on 10-11-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
hola! my first official post on a forum! first sorry for my english mistakes...i'm french ( no comment please
)
i would like to say, first. that i'm studying at ETS in montreal and i've worked with my share of physicists. i have heard a lot of things about almost every physic topics. just to say that everyone has his own idea of how universe works, but we all have to keep in mind that we are only human and that there's a lot of things we don't know yet....this ''new'' burst of raw excited particules (whatever thay are) might be a clue about how exactly galaxies all across universe are able to regulate themselves. we are just lucky to be the ones who are alive to see this new phenomenon, if it's really new. but i would say (with some doubts though) that galaxies acts as a atoms under a precise wavelenghts. its own way to release the exciting energy. just my thoughts....by the way i love this site...so many smart people...and wacko too...but i like them as well

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Then how do you explain that our galaxy is speeding up and expanding? If they are Black Holes then this would not be the case.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join