It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Vast, mysterious structure discovered at the heart of our galaxy

Two enormous, gamma-ray-emitting structures are bubbling out of the center of our galaxy. And astronomers have no idea what caused them. These bubbles, which stretch an astonishing 25,000 light years above and below the galactic plane, are invisible to the naked eye. But astronomers working with data from the Fermi space telescope, which detects gamma rays, were able to see the structures.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6b8c5bacb91.jpg[/atsimg]
NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

io9.com

Looks like a D-cup on it's side...... And as for the "Milky Way" just south of the D-cups ..... Well we can only guess!

----------------

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
well, galaxies, from what we know, are stable...what's expanding is the universe (that where the big bang theory originate) even though now we think it's the opposite: universe was slim and stable, but since the chaos theory, we now think that there was once order that tend to disorder! universe is expanding but that simply means that galaxies are getting far from each other...and as for the black hole in the center of our galaxy, it's a 99% chance that we are right....but in physics....1% is a lot
! all i'm saying is that we are mortals, and in cosmology, 10000 years are like seconds for us! maybe this is the only way nature has found to get rid of useless energies or useless lightwaves in order to keep the energy state intact (laws of conservation and the boltzmann eaquation gives a lot of info on how matter and energy (light spectrum) interact with that same level of undectable energy signs) to get it back to ground level

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sephto
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

it looks like its over 1000 light years away and according to Einsteins law nothing can move faster than the speed of light.

im not saying that its impossible for it to reach us at 2012 but according to our own limited knowledge it is impossible

Actually faster-than-light communication and travel is, by Einstein's theory of relativity, equivalent to time travel. So if some advanced civilization has attained faster than light travel (time-travel) they could be here by say, December 21st, 2012.....or sooner if they're real hungry for human wings slathered in hot sauce !

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
mmmm human wings....hey wait!! we don't have wi.....aawww you're joking right!?!? just to add up to this comment...faster than speed of light only bring those who use it into the past....but who knows? maybe we ARE the past!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

the super massive black at the centre of our galixy is the source of all energy or vibration for our galixy it sets up a "field" in space for matter to interact in this "feild " consists of an energy in a form we are yet to measure.

You propose a new, hitherto unknown forces to join the four we already know of. It is a revolution in fundamental physics you are undertaking. Are you aware of this?

for every atom that interacts with this "feild" two things happen
1. vibration or energy is imparted into the atom
2. angular momentum or spin momentum is imparted into the atom

Now you describe--however imprecisely--the properties of that force. Which suggests you've been studying it, and have done a barrow-load of sums that give the above results. But I know you're not claiming that, don't worry.

Before we get you into further trouble, perhaps we should investigate whether interactions of matter and energy governed by the four fundamental forces we know of are not sufficient to produce the effects we see. Bubbles at Milky Way's heart may be black hole eruption

conservation laws are by definition explaining to us that matter as energy canot be destroyed yet the more matter a black hole consumes the smaller it gets.

No, that isn't true. Black holes swallow real matter and increase in mass--see the link I posted earlier. They also ingest virtual particles, which cause them to lose mass. Two separate processes. Entropy will always win in the end, but a black hole may grow more massive before it starts to shrink.

some will say that this is because black holes contain negitive energy and this balences out the positive energy and cancells out any incoming matter/energy

And the some who say this are wrong. The two processes aren't connected.

gamma ray emmitions are a constant and are an indication of an energy release from the black hole.

Black holes emit nothing. The gamma-ray emissions seen from supermassive black holes come from matter undergoing conversion to energy as it is ripped apart by the gravity of the black hole. As noted in the link above, a similar process may be the cause of these 'structures'. Unlikely that it's Hawking radiation; too energetic.

this is a theory of mine and im glad i get to share it.

Thank you for sharing it. It's great that you're thinking hard about stuff like this, even though your 'theory' is wrong. No shame in that--most of the theories scientists come up with are wrong. For every valid one you hear about, hundreds have been left lying on the laboratory floor.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Can anyone say for 100% certainty, and provide evidence or math to demonstrate, that something from this bubble (shockwave, radiation, wind, etc) won't arrive on 12/2012? Just curious because that would be, well, fascinating...

Teams of mathematicians playing quantum tictacktoe on the very latest supercomputers have calculated that the Beast of the Bubble will come down the chimney at midnight on 24 December, 2012, incinerating Santa Claus on the way down and gobbling up his milk and cookies.

Originally posted by Corporate Providence
reminds me of that one theory dont remember what its called but scientists speculated that universes are just membranes floating in a multiverse and when two of them collide it could cause a big bang. perhaps those are two membranes in the midst of colliding and once they fully collide then no more universe lol. just the first thing that came to mind.

You're getting galaxies mixed up with the universe, I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Then how do you explain that our galaxy is speeding up and expanding?

It isn't. You, too, are mixing up galaxies and the universe.

Originally posted by Gixxer
my question and someone elses too is since we have been using this telescope for over 2 years why are they just now releasing this info?

It's waited 25,000 years already. What's another couple of years?

Or: this is a telescope in orbit. Time on it is more valuable than gold dust. There's only one of it, and it's bloody expensive. Scientists from all over the world are waiting in line to use it. The guys who wanted to point it at the centre of the Galaxy didn't get their turn for a while. Then they had to make their observations, repeat them, get the data, process the data, think about the data, write up their observations and get the world to take notice. I think they've moved pretty fast.

and to all the wanna-bee scientists who are just sure they have the answeres, please remember your kind use to think the world was flat
so maybe remember that when your telling people what can and cant come from a blackhole,lol

Name one scientist, ever, who thought the earth was flat.

Who do you think conceived of a black hole in the first place? Who worked out the physics of them? Scientists, that's who--and they did it long, long before any physical evidence of a black hole was actually found. Yes, that's right, black holes were a scientific prediction.

Since that is the case, it's reasonable to assume that a physicist who studies black holes would be able to tell you what can and what can't come out of one. Don't you think so?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This gamma wave was brought to my attention a few months ago in a thread here called "2012 equation solved"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This is the link containing the thesis www.box.net...

There is quite a bit of speculation in this presentation and my BS senses tingled more than once. Regardless I read it all the way through. This new post reminded me of his dire predictions of the challenges beholden us in these next few years.

He claims that the Chandra X-ray sat found this in 1999!
edit on 11-11-2010 by MinorityReporter because: Add links

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
very interesting post, i really like these sapce exploration threads.

its awesome how quickly science has evolved, and its really awesome to be able to find new parts of this universe that we dont understand. S & F, cheers

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Once again another hit for plasma cosmology. It's just the galaxies Zpinch, the well defined edges are the double layer. The filaments are the rotating birkeland curents pinching down at the central plasmoid. As mentioned before we see this sort of thing in other galaxies and stars, the hour glass shape is the telltale sign of the Zpinch or bennet pinch. This is no surprise if your already on the otherside of the paradigm shift.
This matches very well to Hannes Alfven model of the homopolar motor galaxies.
www.plasma-universe.com...

Of course I'll be told how wrong I am and how wrong Alfven was
that black holes most definately do exists despite the fact a singularity or event horizon has never been observed. Or that it is a product of some other invented force such as dark matter. Ah well, each to there own.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
if energy canot be created or destroyed what happens to the energy in the form of mass when it enters a black hole ?
energy can be transfered, modulated change forms even but not be destroyed

Not correct. this s a flaw with the hitherto known physics.
The universe creates and destroys energy all the time

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Originally posted by Corporate Providence
reminds me of that one theory dont remember what its called but scientists speculated that universes are just membranes floating in a multiverse and when two of them collide it could cause a big bang. perhaps those are two membranes in the midst of colliding and once they fully collide then no more universe lol. just the first thing that came to mind.

You're getting galaxies mixed up with the universe, I'm afraid.

No..he is correct....its theorized there are multiple universes that are sheets of membranes touching very close form one another and when they collide after trillions of years they touch with enough force to start a new bigbang creating another and seperate universe...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
How can something be called a structure if it is invisible to the naked eye? I got A's in Biology and Physical Science but D's in Chemistry and Physics, lol.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

This just goes to show that we as a race have not even scratched the surface of what our home galaxy and universe has to offer and even if we do develop technology that allows us to travel the stars in the future and find a cure for all diseases and eliminate all evil and find a way to higher plain of existence or what not and learn all sorts of new knowledge that we will be able to teach to our children so that they can carry on their fathers fathers legacy into the vast darkness then we still as a very intelligent space faring race we have not even yet scratched the surface of what our universe is and where it actually came from. One Love. Oh and sorry for the whole on long a** sentence
got carried away.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
Please post a link to back up your claim.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
It is ironic that Fermi is the name of the telescope to find this. There is something called Fermi's Paradox, which basically states "Where is Everybody", referring to alien extraterrestrial intelligence. ...

Some physicist claim that galaxies actually "sterilize" higher life forms in this fashion and may have led to previous mass extinctions on Earth link: www.nasa.gov...
Nicolas, excellent post on one possible solution to the Fermi Paradox.

It's certainly not far-fetched to think that gamma ray bursts could be responsible since gamma ray bursters are known to exist and known to decimate life as we know it. I normally think of the source as specific stars within the galaxy rather than the galaxy itself, but obviously these gamma-ray emitting structures mentioned in the OP are related to our galaxy, though the intensity level of radiation emitted must be too low to wipe us out since we're still here.

The universe can be pretty inhospitable to life in many respects and gamma ray bursts are just one example, but a very good one.

But at least we can use gamma rays to kill organisms living in our food to make our food safer: ccr.ucdavis.edu... In the case of gamma rays, it's better to give than to receive!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

nothing can escape the gravity of a black hole lol
except hawking radiation
except electrons
except gamma rays
i wounder how long the list is going to get
i have said for a while
if energy canot be created or destroyed what happens to the energy in the form of mass when it enters a black hole ?

so is this a look at what happens to all those electrons wizzing around atoms when they are sucked into a black hole
they are expelled in a form unknown to mankind and interacte with everything in there path

does this cloud comprise a form of energy we know nothing about?

star and flag for the find

xp

Well, from the little they know about dark matter, it stays in areas with large amounts of gravity. I would think the black hole would have the most dark matter of any heavenly body, either directly around it, or intertwined in it somehow, which keeps things at a distance and from being sucked into the center. It's on a different plane than regular matter, it doesn't directly interact with it. I might even be brazen enough to say it's in another dimension or multidimensional.

I guess you can say that dark matter/energy hasn't been 100% proven, but it seems to be the missing puzzle piece, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I only have a Bachelors from an esteemed engineering school, but this photo reminds me of an 3d electron orbital.
en.wikipedia.org...
dZ2 or dZ squared.
Hmmmmm.

S&F

edit on 11-11-2010 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 1984 is now

If you go to page 4, you will find a reply to me from Astyanax who was kind enough to take time to answer my question and post a link to lots of information about black holes, etc.. Not knowing anything about the subject being discussed doesn't mean you aren't smart. What wouldn't be smart would be not to ask questions about a subject you are interested in, but like myself in this case, know nothing about. It's called "learning", and it's good to know there are a few people on site such as Astyanax, who are willing to teach.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

well the classic law stated does imply energy cannot be created or destroyed but this thinking negates the big bang theory so your statement may very well be correct but we cant say that in phyics with being hit over the head with a text book
lol

xploder

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by XPLodER

the super massive black at the centre of our galixy is the source of all energy or vibration for our galixy it sets up a "field" in space for matter to interact in this "feild " consists of an energy in a form we are yet to measure.

You propose a new, hitherto unknown forces to join the four we already know of. It is a revolution in fundamental physics you are undertaking. Are you aware of this?

i am aware that my theory requires something as yet not explained a unifying force but i did not mean to upset anyone only to show how i reconcile the interaction of matter on a galaxy scale

for every atom that interacts with this "feild" two things happen
1. vibration or energy is imparted into the atom
2. angular momentum or spin momentum is imparted into the atom

Now you describe--however imprecisely--the properties of that force. Which suggests you've been studying it, and have done a barrow-load of sums that give the above results. But I know you're not claiming that, don't worry.

Before we get you into further trouble, perhaps we should investigate whether interactions of matter and energy governed by the four fundamental forces we know of are not sufficient to produce the effects we see. Bubbles at Milky Way's heart may be black hole eruption

the structure of the galaxy should follow certain rules to function shape rotation ect
are the fundimental forces as we observe them the same at the event horizon ?

conservation laws are by definition explaining to us that matter as energy canot be destroyed yet the more matter a black hole consumes the smaller it gets.

No, that isn't true. Black holes swallow real matter and increase in mass--see the link I posted earlier. They also ingest virtual particles, which cause them to lose mass. Two separate processes. Entropy will always win in the end, but a black hole may grow more massive before it starts to shrink.

my only slightly educated opinion is more of a balence
if more energy is consumed ie mass than energy is released the black hole gets bigger
if more energy is released than consumed the black hole shrinks
IMHO

some will say that this is because black holes contain negitive energy and this balences out the positive energy and cancells out any incoming matter/energy

And the some who say this are wrong. The two processes aren't connected

thank you for explaining

gamma ray emmitions are a constant and are an indication of an energy release from the black hole.

Black holes emit nothing. The gamma-ray emissions seen from supermassive black holes come from matter undergoing conversion to energy as it is ripped apart by the gravity of the black hole. As noted in the link above, a similar process may be the cause of these 'structures'. Unlikely that it's Hawking radiation; too energetic.

IMHO these structures are part of a larger system and show an aera of high energy and the gamma rays are a
example of this abundence of energy

this is a theory of mine and im glad i get to share it.

Thank you for sharing it. It's great that you're thinking hard about stuff like this, even though your 'theory' is wrong. No shame in that--most of the theories scientists come up with are wrong. For every valid one you hear about, hundreds have been left lying on the laboratory floor.

i always like to form my own "out of the box" theorys and share them because its good for the mind to wounder about a thing and then attempt to explain it in a way that makes sence

thank you for the time to respond

and the links star

xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join