reply to post by snowspirit
MY INITIAL REACTION:
My initial reaction was similar to many here: a launch of a missile. However (like many initial posts and discussions) we don't take "perspective"
into account, that from a distance, an aircraft from the horizon can seem to produce a vertical or near vertical contrail. The challenge is that the
video we see is heavily edited by news media (especially given that it was a CBS affiliate helicopter that captured the footage).
MORE FOOTAGE: PLEASE!!!
Therefore what I'm interested in is any raw video captured of this event, there must be some given the proximity to LA.
1:30 WHAT ARE WE SEEING?:
The aircraft viewed at approx. 1:30 looks like a helicopter to me, and would seem to be much closer to the camera than the contrail.
MY SUMMARY/POSSIBLE EXPLANATIONS:
Honestly what really bugs me is the rush to judgment, the ridiculous comments about the end of the world, the onset of war, Iranian(?) submarines...
good grief people, I find this very interesting but this is most likely:
1. Most Likely (perspective people!): A contrail from a plane from a distance, whereby the perspective gives the impression of a vertical take off. I
wondered about the explanation by Phage at first... but honestly we've seen SO MANY initial videos that look "exciting" - only for it to be
"perspective" and then we look kind of silly...
2. Likely (Military SNAFU - oops shouldn't we have announced this!!!): A military launch that has not been announced or verified by the Navy (or Norad
or anyone!) yet... especially given the launch location... the islands north of Catalina (which BTW is a beautiful location!) are primarily military.
This is the second most likely possibility as some show of strength, knowing that such a launch would be captured on tape...
3. Highly Unlikely (aka major provocation): A launch by a foreign vessel... it would have to be a submarine launch, otherwise you wouldn't last 5
minutes... so which foreign powers would do this... it would not be a major power, because it would be seen as a major provocation, and honestly who
(of the major powers) are seeking war/problems with the USA
4. Extremely Unlikely (yeah, like they often launch new weapons that close to LA!): Some secret new weapon/missile being launched... why the hell
would the US military launch such a missile anywhere near to US soil, where it would be captured on video (sic)... if they are doing some show of
strength they'd launch a typical missile... as described in 2. above.
5. Extremely Utterly Doubtful (like Iran... submarine, ballistic missile... come on): Iranian or other military launch... they just don't have the
capacity or capability... certainly nothing that I've ever seen.
6. PLEASE LET IT BE THIS (LOL):What I really would like it to be (please!): And I'd really hope for this one, because it would be so cool! PLEASE:
Movie Studio Launches Missile... A teaser for some upcoming MOVIE!!! PLEASE!!!
I'm NOT buying any canned food, NOT building a bomb shelter, honestly people...
Please consider the "laughter" when you want to return 240 cans of beans and 100 cases of bottled water.
If it is something happening, I really don't think your bomb shelter and canned food will do much ....
edit on 9-11-2010 by askbaby because: LOL... ATS filtered out my word... I used a slang expression for laughter... and the ATS filter thoguht
I was using a derogatory term for a minority!... SO I changed the word to "laughter" in the last paragraph!!!