It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser pointers being pointed at airliners in Seattle area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Apparently someone in the Seattle area is shining green laser pointers at commercial aircraft. Twelve reports have been filed.

More info here: www.cnn.com...

We all know that some UFO believers have been shining these laser pointers at "UFOs" for a while now. Hopefully they will be prosecuted before people get killed.
edit on 8-11-2010 by gavron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Wasn't this on TV once? I think it was an episode of CSI miami? I can't remember.
Anyways, who goes around shining laser pointers on "UFO's"? Wouldn't it be hard to shine a laser on something moving incredibly fast from way down on ground level?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by KainRich
Wasn't this on TV once? I think it was an episode of CSI miami? I can't remember.
Anyways, who goes around shining laser pointers on "UFO's"?
I don't watch CSI so can't help you there.

However I did see this older documentary that Karl12 mentioned in another thread on free documentaries, it is from the 90s but it's a compilation of older footage so some footage looks older than that, especially the ancient computer being used to compile UFO sightings data way back when.

The Deyo Diaries

But one of the stories is about a UFO that was supposedly moving in sync with a "torch" or flashlight, so after seeing this I realized people must have been shining things at lights in the sky for decades, the problem is that laser pointers are so much more dangerous than flashlights and some people don't seem to realize that (not to mention illegal to point at planes).

Ever heard the Einstein quote: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ..."? I think that pretty much covers people pointing lasers at lights in the sky (which are probably often just manmade aircraft).

Even if they're alien pilots I don't think they'd like having lasers pointed at them any more than human pilots do.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I know I will probably get alot of flak for this but... Why is it illegal to point lasers at planes?

I have never tried, seems like it would be difficult tho. But I mean I guess it would cause a distraction to the pilot if it happened to get in their eyes, but aren't most flights on auto pilot until the have to land anyways?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

I will direct you to a previous post of mine where it should answer your question as to why it's illegal and bloody dangerous to point lasers at aircraft.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I googled "laser pointer" and "accident" and found a Laser Pointer Forum here: laserpointerforums.com...

I hope it's ok to post a link because I think this is a good read for to see into the mind of the laser pointer user. I mean, they seems organized and do have a whole forum

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Oh boy again!

What gives these people a idea to even think ALIENS communicate with laser pointers in the first place?

Oh that's right Steven Greer spawned this madness with his CSETI footage. Then other hoaxers like Alison Kruse followed suit. The FAA needs to do their JOB and deal with the issues of this sort. I am even weary of trusting our Airline industry in the sense that Pilots are subject to potential dangers of this sort. While peopl get a slap on the wrist until it is too late. It really is sad how ignorant and reckless people have become, if aliens were here then do you really think laser pointers will make such breakthroughs in communication?

I remember kids being shot in the 80's by Police because of the Laser Tag guns, laser pointers were banned because of blindness and same issues in the 1990's in many states.
I mean really? Now this is a trend.

Are Aliens "Ravers" and completely clueless to our radio signals, other means of communication to where they want to dance about in a laser show? If so i want nothing to do with suck a species in that case. It is absurd, come on people the UFO subject does not need this crap! Hopefully the FAA will gt the point and prosecute these people. I come from a family of pilots and have been concerned for some time . Now this is coming to light.

Hopeful something good will come of this
A video i put together a while back

edit on 9-11-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks for the heads up... Still think the odds of getting a lazer beam in the eyes of a pilots that high up are pretty large. However, that does not mean I think it should be tried by any means.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
It seems that pilots [and the FAA] don't take kindly to this sort of thing.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 1-6-2011 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
arg...kids are stupid....I blame it on lack of parenting.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's a common laser, sold in most stores down at the Jersey shore. Last summer, many (drunk) people starting hitting the copters and ad planes. The cops were dispatched, the lasers taken, and they were ticketed.

No aliens required for stupidity.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2

www.cnn.com...

There was a report about this last summer if I recall. The pilots were complaining that they were getting blinded by these lasers and it was very distracting.

Where is the thread about "common sense"??

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
ironic that pionters are being used in a piontless way.

for what possible reason other than to cause the pilot trouble, could anyone have for shining a laser at a plane?

Since theres absolutly no reason it should be treated as serverly as carrying weapons onto planes.

some people are really stupid and have no clue of the ramifications of their actions, making a big thing about it might only give more morons the same idea.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gavron
Apparently someone in the Seattle area is shining green laser pointers at commercial aircraft. Twelve reports have been filed.

We all know that some UFO believers have been shining these laser pointers at "UFOs" for a while now. Hopefully they will be prosecuted before people get killed.

Is there really a risk of people getting killed? Can the lasers in question really cause any damage? Or is this just a conditioned, fearful response?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Originally posted by draknoir2

www.cnn.com...

There was a report about this last summer if I recall. The pilots were complaining that they were getting blinded by these lasers and it was very distracting.

Where is the thread about "common sense"??

Apologies, I hadn't seen this before I posted my last post.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Originally posted by gavron

Is there really a risk of people getting killed? Can the lasers in question really cause any damage? Or is this just a conditioned, fearful response?

Yes! As a pilot. It is veey dangerous to pilots.
Some new/ or young pilots are trained to try to avoid bright lights if
They plan to fly at night.

Its common sense, pilots sit in a dark cockpit for 3-4-5 or more hours then bam they are about
to land when the cockpit is it with a random bright laser light.

Of course its dangerous....

Sadly I wont be surprised if a jet carrying 200-300+ people crashes do to this.
And it will because someone was looking for aliens..

Then people will take it seriously. But it be too late
Its a serious issue....

edit on 3-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLogicalist
[

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't understand how bright the light was, never having seen it, hence my question.

I hope it gets stopped very soon. I wonder if those doing it are aware of how dangerous it is.

Be safe.

edit on 3-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I have a green laser that can shine up to a mile plus away (it's situated on my AR rifle)...yes they are dangerous...even shining them at a car passing by tends to provoke ill feelings (i did it with a low powered red LED) and the guy followed us for like a mile with his brights on before we pulled over to confront and tell him to get over it...he just flipped us off and drove off
(we probably deserved it even though we only shined it in his rearview mirror and not his eyes
edit on 3-6-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Originally posted by TheLogicalist
[

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't understand how bright the light was, never having seen it, hence my question.

A laser light shine in your eyes, even a budget laser pen, even from a mile away can be like standing 10 feet away with a regular torch. in very dark ambiant light the effect is multiplyed many times.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by wcitizen

I have a green laser that can shine up to a mile plus away (it's situated on my AR rifle)...yes they are dangerous...even shining them at a car passing by tends to provoke ill feelings (i did it with a low powered red LED) and the guy followed us for like a mile with his brights on before we pulled over to confront and tell him to get over it...he just flipped us off and drove off
(we probably deserved it even though we only shined it in his rearview mirror and not his eyes
edit on 3-6-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

Wow. They sound pretty powerful. What use are they intended for?
edit on 4-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join