It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest from the War on Free Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Recently, the valedictorian of the High School of Legal Studies in Brooklyn was denied her diploma after revealing many of her school's problems in a graduation speech. Much of the administration did not support her speech and asked for an apology before her diploma would be granted. Tiffany Schely's peers rallied behind her speech and some of the teachers thought the punishment was too harsh.

Source NY Daily News:

Among her gripes: The school has had four principals in four years, overcrowded classes, a shortage of textbooks and other basic materials, unqualified teachers, unstable staffing and uncaring administrators who refused to meet with students to discuss the school's problems.

In other news, Hillcrest High in Salt Lake City, Utah has decided to ban students from wearing anti-war T-shirts. The rationale, that such clothing will provoke violence from the pro-war demonstrators. The Jordan School district of Hillcrest High sided with their decision.

Source The Salt Lake Tribune:

By banning such forms of expression, the administrators at Hillcrest and the Jordan School District are siding with authoritarianism and conformity over true education, revealing themselves to be little different from those pro-war students who use strong-arm tactics instead of dialogue.

The rationale, particularly in the second article, is the same used in segregating Bush and other anti-war protestors, namely, to protect the protestors. Such messages are given to students all across the country, by putting a stop to dissenting free speech, protesting, and most of all censorship in student newspapers and other media. In my opinion, this is not surprising, there has been a trend of such prohibition even before the Bush administration.
Hillary Clinton declares that it takes a village to raise a child. What kind of village is raising the youth today? Individual expression is being tossed out of the window to make the way for authoritarian imposition. When will it stop?

[edit on 27-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

[edit on 27-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What better place to instill fear of speaking your mind than school?
Our authorities may not lock people up or kill them for speaking their minds but they sure as hell are using psychological methods to the max.
Which is worse?
One is more messy and the other more effective.
But is there realy a difference? We are still being "trained" to keep our mouths shut and not question or critisize those in control.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The High School of Legal Studies' diploma refusal shows their myopic perception of the role of education. They fail to recognise that the word "education" literally means "leading out", not "rammimg in". Such draconian action sends the wrong message to students, and I hope this is not a trend.

This girl has been a hard-working lass of some intelligence, as evinced in the New York Daily News

"They always want to keep the problems hush-hush, but what goes on in this school is real," said Tiffany, who was also the editor of the school newspaper, yearbook chairwoman and a member of the student council.

What a sad state of affairs this is.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Our authorities may not lock people up or kill them for speaking their minds but they sure as hell are using psychological methods to the max.

you seem to forget that american schools are almost perfect communist systems.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

This topic looks to be an excellent vehicle for discussion. Is your comment a serious one, or is that sarcasm, KrazyIvan? I ask this as one unfamiliar with the US education system.

And to the topic starter - I have not commented on the banning of students' anti-war etc T-shirts, as I do not know how these would be perceived by opposing factions. I hope to hear other members' opinions on this.

E_T

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Bush and his government really seems to be big fan of Babylon 5.

www.infinicorp.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Originally posted by ANOK

I don't understand how you can presume what I can remember or not from what I said. Do you mean communist systems don't use these methods?
Or that my point is mute? Are you agreeing with me?
My first comment was a hypothetical question, my last a comment on how I see things, for what it's worth. And to tell ya the truth I don't care if ya call it a perfect communist system or delapited capatilist one my comment remains.

new topics

top topics

join