It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Didn't know Obama lowered your taxes? Thought he raised them? You're not alone.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

From the article:

Faced with evidence that people were more likely to save than spend the tax rebate checks they received during the Bush administration, the Obama administration decided to take a different tack: it arranged for less tax money to be withheld from people’s paychecks.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but since the rebate began under Bush, and Obama continued the rebate (in a different form), I don't see how Obama lowered any taxes.

He just didn't raise them.

Seems the NY Times is trying to give credit where credit isn't due.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Wow a whopping $16 per week, how did anyone miss that?

Plus most states raised taxes so people really didn't see any benefit.

There are plenty of explanations as to why many taxpayers did not feel richer when the cuts kicked in, giving typical families an extra $65 a month. Some people were making less money to begin with, as businesses cut back. Others saw their take-home pay shrink as the amounts deducted for health insurance rose.

And taxpayers in more than 30 states saw their state taxes rise, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 10/19/2010 by Erasurehead because: add link

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
lol...

He Raised this, He Lowered That, He Figured this in, They left that out, Republicans Did This, Democrats did That, Hooyah! Hooyah! Hooyah!

They're not GreenBacks?

We supported them, They supported Them, This budget got chopped, This program was included, Congress let this expire, The House cause that to transpire, Hooyah! Hooyah! Hooyah!

Why do they Conspire?

Taxes to the Left, Taxes to the Right, Taxes for the people, Taxes for the masses, Taxes from their asses, Hooey! Hooey! Hooey!

No that's gases from thier asses!

Profit, Shame and Gain, Hair Loss? Rogaine! Payment to the Crown, Making you a Clown, Jack broke his Crayon, Look it's Charlie Brown! BAMP! BAMP! BAMP!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin' On Me?

When the music stops and those who've been fooled by all the hype on the this side / that side issue, which this thread clearly has done (since it was created to do that anyway)...

You'll see the difference when a different denomination suddenly circulates within the Banking System... which has utterly gutted your monetary system's value anyway lol... History as an example? I mentioned GreenBacks, But we're not even going to go into Confederate Currency, Let alone United States Notes, or Gold and Silver Certificates....

When that happens you'll all realize just who it is that is doing the taxing, and who it is that got taxed!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Califemme

See this is exactly what I am talking about here, where did this come from? It's not the fact that tax rates have gone down for the majority of Americans under Obama, but the fact that the government taxes citizens at all that people are complaining about now!

Is this simply because you must have something against Obama, must find some reason to hate him and all government? Does the fact that he is helping the working classes by lowering their taxes means somehow that there must be a new tax-based argument instead?

America cannot hate the man for lowering their taxes so they become Anarcho-Libertarians to find a new reason to hate him. Insanity.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Well, I'm not going to outright state that Obama has lowered everyone's taxes, but it's safe to say that 90+% of the American members of ATS have had their taxes lowered under Obama.

And yet 1 in 3 thought that taxes had gone up, with only 1 in 10 realizing that taxes had gone down.

It seems that Obama is facing something that is difficult to overcome: an ignorance gap. People are ignorant to the positive changes he's made as they are primarily being fed the negative and perceived negative and the outright false negative stuff that certain members of mainstream media are pushing.

It's sort of ridiculous that only 1 in 10 Americans actually realized something so obvious.

But the man.....the man is a.....he's a negro.....

Really.

Y'know what, I agree with you and the media pisses me off to no end over their help in keeping people ignorant over all the good that this guy's done and has been prevented from doing by the GOP and frightened Democrat Senators.

As soon as the GOP realized that Obama was going to win, they tossed McCain to the wolves, raided the Treasury one last time under the guise of a monetary catastrophe, rebranded themselves as the Tea Party and have been running against their own record, while trying to pin that record on Obama. It's been the most overtly flagrant campaign of lies and hypocrisy that I've ever witnessed, and I remember Nixon. Hell, Nixon was a piker compared to these professional con artists, and the only real difference is that the GOP's bosses bought all the media outlets before taking it to us again in 2000.

If we survive this GOP asault, it won't be because we woke up and did anything about it. It'll be because there really is a God that gives a sh*t about America. I'm not optimistic.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

Wow a whopping $16 per week, how did anyone miss that?

Plus most states raised taxes so people really didn't see any benefit.

There are plenty of explanations as to why many taxpayers did not feel richer when the cuts kicked in, giving typical families an extra $65 a month. Some people were making less money to begin with, as businesses cut back. Others saw their take-home pay shrink as the amounts deducted for health insurance rose.

And taxpayers in more than 30 states saw their state taxes rise, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 10/19/2010 by Erasurehead because: add link

It was not a tax cut! the bill changed your witholdings giving you more money a month. the kicker is you have to pay back all the money when taxes came at the end of the year. They just changed the witholdings thats it! you saved no money at all. there was no cuts

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
reply to post by Califemme

See this is exactly what I am talking about here, where did this come from? It's not the fact that tax rates have gone down for the majority of Americans under Obama, but the fact that the government taxes citizens at all that people are complaining about now!

Is this simply because you must have something against Obama, must find some reason to hate him and all government? Does the fact that he is helping the working classes by lowering their taxes means somehow that there must be a new tax-based argument instead?

America cannot hate the man for lowering their taxes so they become Anarcho-Libertarians to find a new reason to hate him. Insanity.

First, as an American, I can say we can hate who we want for any reason we want. It's called freedom. You may not like it (freedom), but I can assure you that you'll miss it when it's gone.

You know absolutely nothing about what I pay in taxes, so who are you to say how upset we, or I, am allowed to be? I worked for this money, am I not allowed to have a say in how much I am willing to pay in taxes?

I don't get freebies from the government, I never have. I don't WANT them. I just want the governement to stop figuring out NEW ways to get money from me.

Obama has promised freebies to one and all to pull that lever for him. I don't agree, I'd like to keep my freedom and my money, and not have it TAKEN from me to give to someone who THEY decide is worth it.

So yeah, I oppose more of my money given to slackers. You seem to think you know something about how much taxes have risen or dropped for us in America from your cozy perch in the UK. I assure you, you are wrong.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
obama lowered taxes is another great lie of someone who isnt living in reality

facts
bamas tobacco tax effected millions of americans
obamas clove cigar tax effected millions more of americans
the stimulus package killed more jobs than it created and thus destroyed a tax base
obamacare ie the care act has just raised the rates on millions of americans
gas prices are up
food prices are up
rents up
obama raised the debt ceiling and spent trillions thus raising taxes

i expect this from the guy who thinks creating more taxes such as taxing churches instead of cutting spending is a great idea....

congress let out without a thought to the bush tax cuts and thus when those expire every single persons tax will go up........wait for it but not those who make less than 10k a year and those who receive tax credits...

this thread is nothing but a lie and wishful thinking and people who agree with obama lowering taxes isnt living in reality

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Between the disinformation agents on ATS and the corporate & elite owned media most people have their heads up their rear end.

Obama has done quite a bit for the common man inspite of Bush ruining the economy by lying about WMD and 911 (which was probably arranged by GWB himself).

Obama is the black guy cleaning up after Bush's mess.

People don't realize that the economy is the result of around 8-10 years after a President is elected.

And I have stated before, while Bush was in office I actually paid less in taxes percentage wise than my cleaning lady I use to have.

Obama is also going to start penalizing companies that are outsourcing.

I’ll tell you what he’s done!
MORE THAN BUSH DID IN HIS 8 YEAR TERM.
Let’s see, Obama:
-Reversed restrictions on stem cell research
-Appointed an assistant to the president for science and technology policy
-Created a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners
-Expanded loan programs for small businesses
-Extended and indexed the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch
-Expanded eligibility for State Children’s Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP)
-Expanded funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners
-Directed military leaders to end war in Iraq
-Sent two additional brigades to Afghanistan
-As promised gave a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration
-Granted Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba
-Restored funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program
-Released presidential records
-Now requires new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions
-Pushed for enactment of Matthew Shepard Act, which expands hate crime law to include sexual orientation and other factors
-Created a White House Office on Urban Policy
-Supported increased funding for the NEA
-Funded a major expansion of AmeriCorps
-Worked to overturn Ledbetter vs. Goodyear
-Banned lobbyist gifts to executive employees
-Pledged to weatherize 1 million homes per year
-Invested in all types of alternative energy
-Enacted tax credit for consumers for plug-in hybrid cars
-Provided grants to encourage energy-efficient building codes
-As promised appointed at least one Republican to the cabinet
-Extended unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspended taxes on these benefits.

I’m sick of hearing ANYBODY say that Obama hasn’t been doing anything, you don’t even watch the news, read the papers, research $hit online. How would YOU know what he’s done? Who are you to say he’s not fit for presidency, who are you to say he can’t do his job right? How could you even THINK that he’s worse than Bush when he’s gone a hell of a lot more than Bush ever did within his 8 years.

Even other countries are finally happy that we got a good president, because it’s about damn time we get this country whipped into shape.

Your beloved Bush put us into war, he put us into an economic crisis, and now Obama has to get us out, and he plans on trying his hardest, in fact he’s already started. Source www.myefficientplanet.com...

Mods, please consider leaving all points in as I researched and they are all valid and exactly what I would have written.

American's typically hate intellectuals, they love the down home cowboy, even if the cowboy is stupid, rich and arrogant.

Good riddence to George Bush and his 100,000 acres he bought in Paraguay

Now maybe Dubya knows something we don't. See this thread.www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
It was not a tax cut! the bill changed your witholdings giving you more money a month. the kicker is you have to pay back all the money when taxes came at the end of the year. They just changed the witholdings thats it! you saved no money at all. there was no cuts

Don't waste your breathe, it's not worth it. Just sit back, and the USPS will be by to drop off your Unicorn that $#$s rainbow colored skittles... Just open your wallet and let them in, it'll be okay

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Watch yourself madnessinmysoul you are exhibiting intelligence and objective enquiry something frowned on in today’s world of the Tea Party.

Point well taken about the ignorance on Obamas policies. I myself agree with his tax policies but disagree with him from a progressive perspective on just about everything else.

I hope he sticks to his intention of eliminating Bush's tax cuts for the rich and keeping those of most of the Middle class. He may wimp out and keep the tax cuts for the rich as he has wimped out on many things.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Hate to burst your bubble but Obamacare alone is responsible for $652 billion in new taxes. With these new taxes come the increases in health care spending. Just ask Boeing.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
Let’s see, Obama:
-Reversed restrictions on stem cell research
-Appointed an assistant to the president for science and technology policy
-Created a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners
-Expanded loan programs for small businesses
-Extended and indexed the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch
-Expanded eligibility for State Children’s Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP)
-Expanded funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners
-Directed military leaders to end war in Iraq
-Sent two additional brigades to Afghanistan
-As promised gave a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration
-Granted Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba
-Restored funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program
-Now requires new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions
-Pushed for enactment of Matthew Shepard Act, which expands hate crime law to include sexual orientation and other factors
-Created a White House Office on Urban Policy
-Supported increased funding for the NEA
-Funded a major expansion of AmeriCorps
-Worked to overturn Ledbetter vs. Goodyear
-Banned lobbyist gifts to executive employees
-Pledged to weatherize 1 million homes per year
-Invested in all types of alternative energy
-Enacted tax credit for consumers for plug-in hybrid cars
-Provided grants to encourage energy-efficient building codes
-As promised appointed at least one Republican to the cabinet
-Extended unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspended taxes on these benefits.

This should be fun...

-Reversed restrictions on stem cell research - AND THIS IS GOOD? I wish you had been here when I was accused of not taking care of the "weakest link"... I would like to PROTECT the unborn.

-Appointed an assistant to the president for science and technology policy - He's the FIRST? The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) is an office in the Executive Office of the President (EOP), established by Congress on May 11, 1976 with a broad mandate to advise the President on the effects of science and technology on domestic and international affairs.

-Created a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners - Great, more people living in houses they can't afford.

-Expanded loan programs for small businesses Where did he get the money? His stash?

-Extended and indexed the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch Extended a Bush doctrine? Unoriginal.

-Expanded eligibility for State Children’s Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP) By raising taxes on smokers.

-Expanded funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners Wow, he's gotta bunch of money that Obama guy!

-Directed military leaders to end war in Iraq Might wanna check; we're STILL in Iraq

-Sent two additional brigades to Afghanistan Only after General Petraeus sounded the alarm to the public that he waited 3 months for an answer

-As promised gave a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration Can't believe this needs saying, but... SO?!?

-Granted Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba Yeah, Fidel's a HUGE fan of Obama's

-Restored funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program The application period is now closed. FY 2010

Stop, stop, LOL, I can't...

I can't take it!!!! STOP!! LOL.....

Sorry, I can't go on. How retarded.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
this thread is nothing but a lie and wishful thinking and people who agree with obama lowering taxes isnt living in reality

As someone earlier did for me...

Quoted for truth again.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

But the man.....the man is a.....he's a negro.....

First of all, what does that comment contribute to the discussion?

Second...why are you playing the race card? Are you a racist? I havent seen anyone else say anything about his skin color?

This race baiting gets maddening and tiring all at once....

To the OP your facts are skewed , Ive seen an increase in my Taxes since all this began...

And as far as the budget goes, if you havent been made privy , youll notice that they didnt pass a budget this year, for the first time in how long?

Perhaps they dont want us knowing what they are doing with all that money eh?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Califemme

Don't waste your breathe, it's not worth it. Just sit back, and the USPS will be by to drop off your Unicorn that $#$s rainbow colored skittles... Just open your wallet and let them in, it'll be okay

so because im right you resort to belittling me. good job

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It wasn't meant to belittle you, I'm on your side. I too, am waiting for my promised unicorn!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It wasn't meant to belittle you, I'm on your side. I too, am waiting for my promised unicorn!

O Cool, well then, let me know when you get one. lol

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

If Ignorance is Bliss , then there must be alot of Happy Misinformed Americans out there who just do not Realize that their Beloved Country is Slowly but Surely heading towards a Socialist State under this Obamanation . It will not Suceed though when Patriots who are quite aware of this decide to Act .

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join