It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Didn't know Obama lowered your taxes? Thought he raised them? You're not alone.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, I'm not going to outright state that Obama has lowered everyone's taxes, but it's safe to say that 90+% of the American members of ATS have had their taxes lowered under Obama.

And yet 1 in 3 thought that taxes had gone up, with only 1 in 10 realizing that taxes had gone down.

It seems that Obama is facing something that is difficult to overcome: an ignorance gap. People are ignorant to the positive changes he's made as they are primarily being fed the negative and perceived negative and the outright false negative stuff that certain members of mainstream media are pushing.

It's sort of ridiculous that only 1 in 10 Americans actually realized something so obvious.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Ok, no. Wait til January 1st, then come back here and tell me that he "lowered" our taxes.

Well, in the meantime, for those of you interested in knowing just how much your taxes will go up in January....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79fcf90cb520.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmmmm, but NOWHERE does it say you get a new tax break from Obama, does it?

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Califemme

Please take a moment to do some research before you post something like this, because it is clear you do not know what you are seeing.

I am NOT someone who wants Obama as president, but that chart is after a Bush tax credit phases out, what the new tax percentages will be... if you notice, under Obama's proposed bill, it will be LOWER than it is scheduled to be.

Good day

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Um...the infographic you provided spoke nothing to the differences in taxation between Bush's last budget and Obama's first budget. It also showed that Obama's tax plan lowers taxes on the $174,650 - $194,050 bracket for single filers and the $212,600 - $235,450 bracket for joint married filers...

So...you just proved yourself wrong.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Not typically being so short-sighted to fault one man for my extortion whether or not he is to blame for altering the amount stolen from me hour to hour is irrelevant.

So master may have let some crumbs hit the floor. That's supposed to make me happy?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hey look, another off-topic post.

If you want to discuss whether or not taxation in whichever form is or is not theft, please direct it to one of the many threads that has attempted to discuss that. I've readily demonstrated that taxation, unless shown to be an unreasonably burden, cannot be classified as 'theft' in the democratic state.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I've readily demonstrated that taxation, unless shown to be an unreasonably burden, cannot be classified as 'theft' in the democratic state.

Does it require the threat of violence?

Yes.

Therefore, it is impossible for taxes to not be theft.

Ultimately the use of violence or threats of violence to expropriate property is theft no matter who does the stealing.

A criminal can not claim the moral high ground if he engages in armed robbery to feed his family - and neither can the State.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Does it require discussion in this thread?

No.

Does it have anything to do with the popular perception of the levels of taxation?

No.

Is it a topic for another thread?

Yes.

Will I discuss it with you in that thread?

Possibly, depending on the amount of time I have and how patient I'll be with you.

Have I already discussed this with you at length with you eventually ignoring me because you couldn't refute my arguments?

Yes.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Obama lowered taxes!!
Now this is funny.

When? Where? On Whom?

It sure in the hell was not me and I make under 60K a year. I would sure like to know why my net pay has decreased and at the same time the federal taxes taken out every week has increased. I guess I am to ignorant and should not notice these things.

You only have to look at your paycheck and check the federal taxes being taken out and compare it from a year ago to now. Oh, but the fuzzy tax math says my taxes are going down right?
What a scam!!

BTW, once the Bush tax cuts are let to expire it IS a tax increase and a large one at that. Only a liberal mind can rationalize taxes going up as a tax decrease. Good lord!!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

So master may have let some crumbs hit the floor. That's supposed to make me happy?

I think the main point is the level of misinformation being fed to the masses by some major networks, and how many people are under the assumption that something is happening that isn't. It is being packaged as a truth to the average citizen by those who actually ARE going to be hit with higher taxes.

The deception that fosters such ignorance runs high on quite a few networks.
Most notably FOX news.

As Thom Tillis, a Republican state representative, put it as the dinner wound down here, “This was the tax cut that fell in the woods — nobody heard it.”

* from the article in the OP

That's pretty telling.

We should be happy to deny that ignorance, because ignorance is a barrier to truth.
Trying to turn this around without acknowledging this fact is a bit deceptive.

If you don't want your "crumbs", there are many charities that would be glad to take them.

- Lee

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Obama lowered taxes!!
Now this is funny.

When? Where? On Whom?

Did you read the article?
You answers are there.

- Lee

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Did you read the article?
You answers are there.

I guess you missed my point.
Even though my paycheck is decreasing due to federal taxes, I am suppose to deny reality by believing what is written on paper? You might have a point if the taxes being taken out of my paycheck were decreasing but alas, just the opposite is occurring.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That ignorance gap is only increased when you factor in that Faux News is number one in media ratings. That just goes to show that millions of people are watching the wrong news networks.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc

... if you notice, under Obama's proposed bill, it will be LOWER than it is scheduled to be.

Where oh where can I find this magical bill that will lower my tax rate, oh wise one?!?

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by WhatTheory

You should check the scam.

My federal W/H went from 11% of my gross in 2008 to 9% of my gross this month.

But my fica went up. Take a wild guess by how much? lol

It's like somebody decided not to mug me on the street and instead went to my house to steal my TV. When I complain about the theft all they say "but we arent mugging you anymore."

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I saw the numbers of what people thought about their taxes today too and was quite surprised. I have been well aware that President Obama lowered taxes for the majority of Americans, and I am not even from your country!

I honestly cannot simply place the blame for this lack of knowledge squarely upon the shoulders of the US masses though. The Obama Administration hasn't done the best job of getting the word out to the American people of what positive changes he has made. I would bet that a majority of Americans still do not understand the current state of the US military involvement in Iraq either or how the health care reform bill will work for them once it comes into full effect.

Part of the job of the presidency is to effectively communicate decisions and actions to the people, and while I do firmly believe that Obama has had a very positive impact upon America, I don't think he's done a good job of explaining what that impact has been.

I think it's largely also too late for him to reverse that before the mid-term elections. If he were to say, take out a block of time on television to explain what he has done and dispel the false rumors circulating about him, he'd get blasted for political pandering. Sadly this lack of communication he has had with the people would have had to change more than a year ago to have any real impact on the elections.

My hope though is that he will now realize this disconnect and make a far greater effort to engage the citizens before he comes up for re-election in 2012.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Califemme
Where oh where can I find this magical bill that will lower my tax rate, oh wise one?!?

Now that is funny because it's true!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic
edit on Tue Oct 19 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: one-liner

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
National Debt Up $3 Trillion on Obama's Watch

And you are all so happy that Obama *maybe" lowered your taxes... phhhffftftt.

Oh, and please take note it's not from your hated "Fox News" channel...

And just in case you want the Bush v Obama comparison:
Republicans in control for 12 years: Added $4.034 trillion (avg $336.17 billion per year)
Republicans in control during Bush era: Added $3.201 trillion (avg $533.5 billion per year)
Democrats in control of Congress during Bush/Obama era: Added $4.603 trillion (avg 1.48 trillion per year)

edit on 19-10-2010 by Califemme because: Comparison reasons

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Oh, and I hope you don't need to find a job in the next year, because in 2011, business taxes will go up:

$17 billion - Reinstate Superfund taxes
$24 billion - tax carried-interest as income
$5 billion - codify "economic substance doctrine"
$61 billion - repeal LIFO
$210 billion - international enforcement, reform deferral, other tax reform
$4 billion - information reporting for rental payments
$5.3 billion - excise tax on Gulf of Mexico oil and gas
$3.4 billion - repeal expensing of tangible drilling costs
$62 million - repeal deduction for tertiary injectants
$49 million - repeal passive loss exception for working interests in oil and natural gas properties
$13 billion - repeal manufacturing tax deduction for oil and natural gas companies
$1 billion - increase to 7 years geological and geophysical amortization period for independent producers
$882 million - eliminate advanced earned income tax credit

Total: $353 billion/10 years

Not to mention your HEALTHCARE costs are going up, and your ENERGY bills are going - Yay Obama!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join