It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain to me what the Tea Party movement actually is

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
It is not just a group of Republicans who've changed their name.

It is not just a group of Republicans who changed their name, but it is where the Tea Party started from, Jenna...

OP, you are more than free to do your own research, here is an exerpt from wikipedia:

The theme of the Boston Tea Party, an iconic event of American history, has long been used by anti-tax protesters.[12][13][14] It was part of Tax Day protests held throughout the 1990s and earlier.[15][16][17][18] More recently, the Libertarian theme of the "tea party" began with Republican Congressman Ron Paul supporters as a fund raising event during the 2008 presidential primaries to emphasize Paul's fiscal conservatism, which laid the groundwork for the modern-day Tea Party movement
Wikipedia's Tea Party Movement Article

Also, here are other link to topic related sites:
www.teaparty.org...
www.teapartypatriots.org...
teapartypatriots.ning.com...

I think they are hijacking the ideologies of the founders after they and their ancestors have deviated so far from them when they had positions of authority, in my honest opinion. But, I listen to them, still. Seems mostly like reduntant rhetoric, and devised for a target audience and demographic. psyops stuff, "hearts and minds".

Here is Republican Tea Partier Sarah Palin describing what she wants others to hear about the Tea Party:

@ 0:56
"Who can argue with a movement that is about the people who the government is suppose to be working for?"
-Sarah Palin

edit on 25-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: fix bb codes

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

No, no, and yes. It's a movement, not a party. There is no such thing as a 'tea party candidate', the closest you'll find is candidates who have gained support of the local tea parties. And yes they support candidates from different political ideologies.

The Boston tea parties, for example, published a list of candidates for every state that they support that includes mostly Libertarians, at least one Independent, and very few Republicans.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
It is not just a group of Republicans who changed their name

From your first post.

The Tea Partiers are Republicans forced to change their names because they war their last name out.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there ET.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I agree with you S.G. on what the establishment has done to the movement by stealing the name. They know what they are doing. But, the T.E.A. Party began, and still exists as a grass roots effort regardless of the fact that a lot of politicians have jumped on the bandwagon. Palin and Beck are just opportunists, they are not representatives of THE real movement, but they have a real movement. The media is only TOO happy to label them T.E.A,. Party, and perpetuate the two party system.
I, for one, know a fake when I see one. The internet is a game changer, and I think it is just going to get harder to fool people in the future.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It is my understanding that the TEA party movement started during the 2007-2008 Ron Paul presidential campaign. "Ron Paul's Tea Party" was an event and an online fundraiser that his supporters put together. Ron Paul actually attended the event. Note the date on the following video: Nov 11, 2007.

This later developed into a movement of people from all political persuasions who collectively agreed that they had been Taxed Enough Already. Then, some of the big shot republicans actively began co-opting the movement. Then media pundits got in on the show. By 2012, the "tea party" will be code for "republicans".

It is my belief that the tea party evolved into a grassroots-level phenomenon that actually brought people together, rather than dividing them. It had the potential to dramatically alter political history by presenting a realistic alternative to the two-party monopoly. Unfortunately grassroots activists will need to outspend those who intend to seize control and centralize the movement.

edit on 25-9-2010 by MKULTRA because: adding thoughts

edit on 25-9-2010 by MKULTRA because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2010 by MKULTRA because: added youtube

edit on 25-9-2010 by MKULTRA because: added youtube

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Jenna

So it's not a political party then more of a movement? can you vote for a "Tea Party candidate" ? or do they support people from different political parties?

The only candidates that have been endorsed by the tea parties thus far have been Republican candidates or failed Republican candidates:

Joe Miller, Alaska Senate nominee, Republican candidate

Jesse Kelly, Arizona 8th District nominee Republican candidate

Ken Buck, Colorado Senate nominee . Republican candidate

Dan Maes, Colorado gubernatorial nominee. Republican candidate

Marco Rubio, Florida Senate nominee. Republican candidate

Rick Scott, Florida gubernatorial nominee Republican candidate

Raul Labrador, Idaho 1st District nominee Republican candidate

Rand Paul, Kentucky Senate nominee Republican candidate

Sharron Angle, Nevada Senate nominee Republican candidate

Mike Lee, Utah Senate nominee Republican candidate but did not make it to the GOP ballot.

news.yahoo.com...

There is a 'tea party' political party... well there are a number of them. The most known is the Boston tea party but for reason this independent grass roots movement does not seem to rally behind these third parties, not that they are any different from the Republican party in anycase.

Previous candidates backed by the tea parties were also Republican, aside from one Doug Hoffman who ran as an independent, but he only did this because he failed to make it as a Republican candidate. Then there is Republican candidate O'donnell which I assume you'd heard of.

So in light of your question, do the tea parties support candidates from other parties? No not really, not as indicated by the list of their endorsed candidates. So the question is, if the tea party movement is so independent why are going right back to the grand old party, the Republican party? Because they are not an independent movement. Mind you though there are afew libertarians in the movement that are typically independent voters, but then again even though they hold deslike for the Republican party they are supporters of a Republican politician, Ron Paul. hmm.

edit on 25-9-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fix

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MKULTRA

Sorry but you're incorrect on that! As much as you guys want to put Ron Paul in the picture. he had no involvement with the group.
www.infoplease.com...

CNBC's Rick Santelli is widely credited with launching the grassroots movement. While standing on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on February 19, 2009, he unleashed what can only be called a rant against the Obama Administration's proposal to help homeowners facing foreclosure refinance their mortgages. Read more: History of the Tea Party Movement

edit on 25-9-2010 by Romantic_Rebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
To me the Tea Party seems like some strongly radical republicans. They are very to the point, outspoken, conservative, and closed minded.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

From your first post.

The Tea Partiers are Republicans forced to change their names because they war their last name out.

Agreed, let me clarify. The Tea Party was formed by Republican supporters, ie fund raising individuals from Ron Pauls' camp and others, who were forced to find another banner and catch phrase, because recruitment for the GOP had so severely declined as a result years of global scattering of national interests & human resources, international fallout of no bid contracts awarded to corporate entities, misappropriation of funds on a massive scale, and the military that was made to be subservient to them in multiple theaters of wars, and billions of dollars of tax payers money that was unnaccounted for. Since these organizations had so badly damaged their credability within the intelligence communities it became a perceived neccessary for some levels of the Republican echelon to change (or add) their names and affiliation in order to diversify their foundation and base and rectruit new members.

It is not I who said that the Republican Party changed their name to the Tea Movement and then to the Tea Party, it is the history of events, Jenna

The Tea Party began with a seed from the Republican Party, and Ron Paul fund raisers and supporters.

-ET

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Not so.
T.E.A. Party groups are very influential in local politics all around the country. You probably have one that meets in your county.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Please show me the link to the Tea Party's official political party page. You know, like the Republicans and Democrats have?

Edit: And while you're at it, go to the link I provided. You're wrong when you say the only candidates supported have been Republicans

reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

See Romantic_Rebel's post a few up from yours to see why you are wrong on that.

edit on 25-9-2010 by Jenna because: Added edit and response to ET.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Some people seem to think that a movement has to be traced back to a "founder" or an event. A real movement, like the TPM, is spontaneous. There are probably as many reasons for its birth as there are people that are legitimately involved..
We don't have many leaders in this country, we have con artists working for corporate think tanks funded by entrenched Democrats and Republicans. Yes, the lies and deception will masquerade as TPM. Only the uneducated will buy the counterfeit product.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Please show me the link to the Tea Party's official political party page.

Where did I say the tea party was a political party? I had stated it was a movement so how could you miss that? I did say there are tea party political parties, to list them:

The boston tea party which has been claimed as the party that started the movement:
bostontea.us...

The American independent party founded by tea party activist Alan keyes:
aipnews.com...

There were a number of local state tea party political parties that come and go. There is no single 'tea party' political party.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Being a Brit I tend to stay away from the US politics discussions as I don't have much to contribute, but I see the phrases Tea Part movement bought up so many times lately that I really feel I should know more about it.

I've read the wiki page but that didn't clarify it much for me.

Can anyone give me a nice simple concise explanation of who they are, what their goals are etc.as I can't make head nor tail of it.

The best way for me to explain the Tea Party is to put it in UK political context. It is most similar to the UK Independence Party.

Hope that helps you.

edit on 9/25/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Where did I say the tea party was a political party?

In your last post, did you forget what you typed?

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
There is a 'tea party' political party

There is no single 'tea party' political party.

What is it with people contradicting themselves today?

edit on 25-9-2010 by Jenna because: Forgot to close the quote tags

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Please show me the link to the Tea Party's official political party page. You know, like the Republicans and Democrats have?

Edit: And while you're at it, go to the link I provided. You're wrong when you say the only candidates supported have been Republicans

I did go to the link and I fail to find real independent candidates. And as to whether I am wrong about my statement that the only candidates that were supported were Republican candidates or failed republican candidates, please provide me an example of an actual independent tea party endorse candidate. Have there been any Democrat tea party endorse candidates? Shoot.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

What is it with people

Yep, I said there are 'tea party' political parties as linked above. I did not say there entire movement is a political party in itself so this is a faliure to understand on your part. I clearly stated that the tea party was a movement of disgruntled republican voters and independent conservative leaning voters.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

From your first post.

Agreed, let me clarify. The Tea Party was formed by Republican supporters, ie fund raising individuals from Ron Pauls' camp and others,

Yep. For some reason people forget that Ron Paul is a Republican and has been so for years. Great catch

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It's sad that you say you went to the link when it's pretty obvious you didn't.

Massachusetts
Joe Kennedy for US Senate Independent, 2010 (Special Election January 19)

There are 80 Libertarian candidates listed at the link I provided and 2 Republicans. No there aren't any Democrats on this particular link, but that doesn't mean they don't exist nor is the link I provided a list of the only candidates that every single tea party supporter endorses or agrees with. It's an example from one out of hundreds of tea parties in the country.

You realize it's ok to admit it when you're wrong about something, yes?

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

It's sad that you say you went to the link when it's pretty obvious you didn't.

Massachusetts
Joe Kennedy for US Senate Independent, 2010 (Special Election January 19)

Oh wow thats great, its too bad this guy did not get as much attention as the others. He got 1% of the vote when he ran in January. I stand corrected Jenna, and I will certain review that link of yours of 80 libertarian candidates.Its too bad the vast majority of candidates endorsed by the tea parties have been republicans, and the cycle continues I guess.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join