It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain to me what the Tea Party movement actually is

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Flies in the ointment.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Tea Party is a reference to the Boston Tea Party.

A grass roots effort to hold our government accountable for its actions.

Began with the "Banker Bailout" when the citizen said NO and the Government did it any way.

It is the citizen response to an unresponsive government.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
People that are fed up with the government spending like a drunken sailor and running to China with our hand out every time we need a loan. I read somewhere (I don't recall where right this second) that China laughs at us and thinks we are the dumbest sons of bitches on earth as we get ourselves more and more into debt with them.

Both democrats and republicans are guilty of it. Hence, Tea Party candidates running against establishment republicans.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Considering some of the nonsense replies you got on this thread its amazing, but you got it right. And I did hear that some tea party sorts of things were cropping up in Australia and the UK, maybe you should look into it.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I can tell you something about NPR.org, that you can check out yourself. I am a member btw.
Note: I know it is frowned upon to "bash" another website, or at minimum it is in bad taste, but I feel this is an important point and it is not bashing.
Even though a majority of their membership are liberal, the writers of most of their articles are often even further left, and more than a few times they have been called out in the forums. If you want to know how people feel about a subject, as opposed to how they are "supposed" to feel, you have to read the comments. No difference with the T.E.A. Party, NPR may have one position, but if you read the comments you will find that most will disagree.
Southern Guardian seems to fall politically within the NPR "official" position on a lot of things politically, though they have moved decidedly to the right in the last year or so (my opinion), and I think their readership that comments are a primary reason why.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

The tea party is an organized group of dupes financed and created by Republican think tanks, and wealthy people amongst them to organize opposition to giving money to poor and middle class people through taxes.

The motivation of the rich is racism and their own greed. The motivation of the less rich dupes is their own inner selfishness, ignorance, greed, and stupidity for fighting against their own interests and being used by avaricious and duplicitous, un-American, un-Christian, selfish and greedy rich people

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The tea party started with ron paul's campaign. Anti-War, no income tax, no federal reserve, bring all the troops home, close all the bases worldwide, no aid for israel or any other country for that matter. The movement was getting so big that it had to be controlled by the neo-cons. Now its more pro israel, anti-muslim, pro war.. but they still want low taxes and small government. Its actually a big paradox. Cant have your cake and eat it too.

Although, I have seen lots of former neocons have lightbulbs go off in their heads and totally wake up. So maybe that will happen. I hate to write it off altogether.

Even ron paul's son Rand is pretty much a Neo-con. Who believes in supporting israel, and keeping military options on the table for iran.

Here's a video from the O7 ron paul tea party.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 26-9-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by davespanners

Didn't read all the posts here so do apologize if I am repeating anothers comments: the tea party is a loose conglomoration of American actvists tied together by the belief in limited government and fiscal respnsiblitity. There is such a wide range of chapters, each having different social views that it would be hard to draw a consensus among them. The movement has become a political train, often vilified, painted as racist, uneducated and uninformed. From my experience most of these folks are average everyday people, work for a living, believe in ideas ie. Personal responsbility, morality, virtue...sometimes to their detriment. The overarching similiarity, IMHO, as stated before is limited goverment, financial responsibility. Don't be fooled by those with an agenda here, it is common people resisiting politcal pressure. Not always pretty, not always right, but nowhere near as bad or corrupt as the incumbent politicos we have now. Many people fighting as best they know how!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I dont understand what the tea party hopes to accomplish by voting in more corrupted scum. They complain about being taxed too much and that government is too big and out of control but then they go and support sarah palin and glenn beck. cmon, are you serious? Do the tea partiers really think that if they vote republican that suddenly all our problems will be fixed? They are part of the reason why this country is doomed. They still follow these idiots and believe everything they say.

Like ive said again and again, we will never vote the corruption out. The whole system is diseased and even politicians with the best intentions are poisoned once they get elected. Maybe the tea party was really started for the right reasons, but the party has been hijacked and is proving to be useless.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by whaaa

thats the issue, youre trying to use youre thinking with your ideology instead of whats actually going on.....see you said you were reporting, if you were truly reporting you wouldnt be biased about it.........

ive been to WAY more than 6 and the atmosphere wasnt "anti Obama" it was "anti government control" and "anti political party"

You cannot report objectively with such bias Wukky

This isn't "anti Obama"???

www.youtube.com...

These aren't all liberal infiltrators and you know it!

edit on 26-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashes of the wake

WOW
10 incumbents and party regulars have been removed due to the Tea Party work.

I guess some will never be happy with anything done, right. Maybe you should have run for an office instead of bitching.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
If you can get past all the nonsense posts that do nothing more than whine and engage in childish insults and name-calling in the 500 tea party threads that already exist you'll find that the tea parties are a collective of Republicans, Democrats, Independents, etc., who all have different political ideologies but generally agree that government has gotten too large, that those in government don't listen to the voters, and that the laws they've been passing go beyond the scope of what the federal government is permitted to do per the Constitution. The details of how they think it should be fixed differ, but those are the things generally agreed on.

It is not just a group of Republicans who've changed their name. It's not a bunch of uneducated idiots. And it's not just a bunch of rich people hanging out and complaining. It's a grass roots movement with no single figure-head, though the posters on this site and the media would like you to think otherwise.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Good post! I am still scratching my head trying to figure out whether the attacks that have been made towards The Tea Party in this thread (as well as many others here at ATS) are really just plain run of the mill good old fashioned ignorance at its best, or the regular disinfo traitors doing their job silencing any and all dissent?

Yea...you all go on/go ahead and keep on thinking that the Tea Parties around the country (who are basically the ONLY ONES THAT ARE TRYING TO SAVE THIS COUNTRY) are nothing more than a bunch of uneducated trailer trash hillbillies and rednecks! Buwhahaha! Folks right there is a shining example of the successes that TPTB are having on the dumbing down/brainwashing of Americans. Hillbillies and rednecks yuk yuk yuk....ummm okay all, if you say so ;-)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
From what I've seen, the typical Tea Bag is a 75 year old white male with a purple nose, who still has North Korean grenade fragments in his skull from 1952--which means that he hears Fox "News" in his head over and over again, 24/7 and couldn't make it stop even if he wanted to.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The Tea Party is actually a new name for the Republican Right, whose dream has always been to return to the "free market capitalism" that hasn't really existed since about 1892--if it ever did.

They never seem to grasp that when they talk about the "free market" it really means that big banks, monopolies and cartels will control the world economy, and most governments for that matter. They just don't get that, and seem to think of capitalism as Sam Drucker's general store on the TV show Green Acres.

It is not like that any more and hasn't been that way for a long time, but they simply don't see it.

Of course, they claim they are not part of this "establishment", and a lot of the foot soldiers do not seem to be from the wealthy Eastern elite, although they don't seem to notice that they are getting funded by Karl Rove, Dick Armey and people like that--who are collecting big money from various corporate interests and have an agenda all their own. These corporate elites do not want "small government" at all, but one that serves their interests.

The Republicans like these Tea Party-type voters because they are so easy to manipulate with slogans about taxes, big governmnet, welfare, blacks, crime, immigrants and so on. The Republicans are very good at deflecting the attention of white voters to those even lower down on the totem pole than they are, and stoking resentments against them. They've been doing it forever.

Their main goal is always to deflect attention AWAY from the elite, particularly the corporate and financial elite, who really caused this latest depression. They do it very well, and it's absolutely amazing to me how so many people fall for the same lines again and again and again in every election.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Tea-Party movement is a massive, diverse, and organized group of individuals who seek: (1) lower taxes, (2) free markets, (3) less government and less government spending, (4) removal of mandates on citizens, (5) prevent government from bailing out corporations, (6) re-establishment of constitutional law, (7) government accountability, (8) immigration law enforcement, (9) removal of politically correct 'cultural' hyphens, (10) re-establishment of our leadership in the word, (11) humble acknowledgment of our country's exceptionalism, (11) promoting of tolerance, (12) getting the government to work for the people, (13) revival of personal responsibility, and (13) revival of the morals in which the United States were built upon.

Just to name a few.

edit on 26-9-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
As A Member of the TEA(Taxed Enough Already) party who went to Washington D.C. ( I saw that ABC,NBC,CBS,MSNBC,CNN stated only 60,000 were there when in fact it was bigger than Glenn Beck's rally,about 700-800,000) and who believes in The Constitution(I took a oath to support and defend it,12 years U.S.Navy),people are tired of a failed Adminstration who does not respect the people whom they are suppose to represent.
As for the present neo-Marxist progressive admistration's policies(ObamaCare,kowtowing to foreign Muslims)
I remember when if you were a Marxist or a communist you were booted out of government not made a Czar!!!
All of the Obama administration should be tried as traitors since they have no respect for the oaths they took.
And come November 2nd,2010 we start to take back this country from the Marxists and communists in governmentb].

link   
reply to post by witness63

They never seem to grasp that when they talk about the "free market" it really means that big banks, monopolies and cartels will control the world economy, and most governments for that matter. They just don't get that, and seem to think of capitalism as Sam Drucker's general store on the TV show Green Acres.

Please tell me you think that big banks, monopolies and cartels in bed with the governments and the politicians, are not NOW in control. Please explain to me the BAILING out of all the mega banks and corporations at the detriment to smaller businesses and taxpayers. PLEASE Mr. All knowing.

Oh the absolute HUMOR in someone so righteous in their indignation,that cannot see the fallacy with this VERY statement.

I mean break away from the propaganda for ONE SECOND and realize what you JUST SAID HERE.

Oh well.

link   

Originally posted by Jenna
If you can get past all the nonsense posts that do nothing more than whine and engage in childish insults and name-calling in the 500 tea party threads that already exist you'll find that the tea parties are a collective of Republicans, Democrats, Independents, etc., who all have different political ideologies but generally agree that government has gotten too large, that those in government don't listen to the voters, and that the laws they've been passing go beyond the scope of what the federal government is permitted to do per the Constitution. The details of how they think it should be fixed differ, but those are the things generally agreed on.

It is not just a group of Republicans who've changed their name. It's not a bunch of uneducated idiots. And it's not just a bunch of rich people hanging out and complaining. It's a grass roots movement with no single figure-head, though the posters on this site and the media would like you to think otherwise.

That’s the same old Republican conservative [stop giving money to black people] rhetoric since Reagan

Who cut taxes for the rich and ruined the economy as the second Bush did

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I would add that the Tea Party also seems to have in its lower ranks a lot of small capitalists or those who aspire to be small capitalists, whose profit margins are often thin compared to the big boys and are always in danger of going bankrupt.

In depressions like these, the little capitalists become almost hysterical with fear that they will be reduced down to the ranks of the proles. This is why they can turn fascist in a hurry if they think that will save them, for they always have that potential in any case. They're a pretty nasty bunch under the best of circumstances.

Some of them may even have a sense that the big capitalists use depressions like these as a buying opportunity since the prices are low and they have deep pockets: they can afford to ride out the depression for five or ten years while the little capitalists go under.

The Tea Party people may have a vague idea of what the elite groups are really up to, but as I said, the Republicans are very skilled at deflecting attention and anger onto other targets,

Incidentally, Obama also turned out to be a lot wimpier and more elitist than I ever imagined he would be--not nearly enough LBJ or Harry Truman in him, but way too much Harvard. That's why they are using him as a punching bag in their pseudo "populist" campaign.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I liked about 2/3 of those signs.

Should we show the signs of a Bush era anti war rally?

Does that fit in with your dialogue though?

Attempt to discredit the complete movement by attributing a few signs to the entire movement whaaa.

Thanks for proving the point.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join