It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by KIZZZY

Oh really. Do I need remind you of your response?
Not to mention the sheer emotionality needed to jump to the conclusion that I was in fact calling atheists wicked. I am still not exactly sure why you quoted the meaning of the word atheist to me. Care to explain? And all this because I did not edit out the archaic meaning for the word referenced in my properly contained in [-ex-] [/-ex-] tags with source none the less.

I hate to break it to ya, but today many Atheists serve on the faculties of the most prestigious universities, and more often than not the theist seems to be the obscurantist.

And exactly why do you think I care? I don't care what someone believes to be honest or even how many atheists are anywhere. So long as someone does not make their beliefs my buisness it's just that, none of my buisness. But, it behooves you to provide proof when making a claim. Have any?

Will you please stop having a hissy-fit over there. What was in the quotes with your name on it was
for you...the rest for the room. Now go away you pesky font!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The Pope needs to leave other religions alone. That being said, anything too extreme isn't good for you.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

Which is what I was addressing. The end part I was simply asking for the proof of the factuality of your assertion. Should I take it as you have none? I am part of the "room" as you put it after all as I am here.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
This is so dumb, run everyone hide the Atheist are coming.

Unfortunately there was nowhere to run or hide for (at least) 45 million Chinese peasants when atheist Communists came to power there...

Mr Dikötter, who has been studying Chinese rural history from 1958 to 1962, when the nation was facing a famine, compared the systematic torture, brutality, starvation and killing of Chinese peasants to the Second World War in its magnitude. At least 45 million people were worked, starved or beaten to death in China over these four years; the worldwide death toll of the Second World War was 55 million.
www.infowars.com...

Of course the self-correcting nature of atheism when in political power is admirably displayed in the fact that atheist Chinese government today merely imprisons religious minorities and harvests their organs... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OurManInGlasgow

You can keep reeling off all the Communist dictators you like..... Atheism is not communism.
And Communist dictators killed people....NOT atheists.

I'm not sure how many times we have to go over this.

You keep googling "Atheists, killed blah blah" all you like..... Atheism has never killed anyone... unlike religion.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Glasgow,

you're a puppet in the 'divide and rule' game.

"Now see, what YOU made me do".

And so what if opposing gangs of sociopaths shoot it out. Does that justify any of them? Does dishing out 'universal truths' of all kinds and debatable quality justify it.

It's too easy to consider yourself as Flash Gordon and opponents as Ming the Merciless.

Like it or not, you're just one of many competitors for dominion.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Actually I thought this answer on Yahoo to someone's question is pretty much the last word on the subject:

"Is it true that atheists have killed more people than any other religions combine?"

Yes. The atheist regimes of Stalin, Hitler (I know I'm going to get td for that one, but I'll stick to my guns about it), Mao, Pol Pot, and others murdered far more people than died in all the religious wars, persecution, etc, in history. Atheists say that these folks weren't killing in the name of atheism. But the simple fact is that communism is an avowedly atheistic philosophy. These were atheists. The 20th century was by far the bloodiest in history. More people died at the hands of their own governments in the 20th century than were killed in all the wars in history combined before the 20th century. And the vast, vast, majority of this killing was done by atheistic regimes.

In light of this history, is it any wonder people are skeptical about atheist claims to morality and good-will? Atheists remain for good reason the most distrusted group in society. We've seen what happens when they hold the reins of power.

answers.yahoo.com...

edit on 20-9-2010 by OurManInGlasgow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
Glasgow,

you're a puppet in the 'divide and rule' game.

"Now see, what YOU made me do".

And so what if opposing gangs of sociopaths shoot it out. Does that justify any of them? Does dishing out 'universal truths' of all kinds and debatable quality justify it.

It's too easy to consider yourself as Flash Gordon and opponents as Ming the Merciless.

Like it or not, you're just one of many competitors for dominion.

Bog, your posts actually don't make any sense...??? Seriously, perhaps you should try talking that over with someone..?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

So, how exactly does the lack of belief in a god directly correlate to all of these deaths that you're trying to link it to?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

ummm ...Hitler was not an Atheist!

In a speech delivered in Berlin, October 24, 1933, Hitler stated: "We were convinced that the people needs and requires this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."[54]

WIKI

Hitler seeking power, wrote in Mein Kampf, "... I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work." Years later, when in power, he quoted those same words in a Reichstag speech in 1938.

HITLER was not an Atheist

Stalin was not an Atheist either!

Joseph Stalin was raised to be a Catholic Priest and I remain curious as to why his Christianity is shoved aside in all these arguments. Yes, there is no way to get around the fact that in his early career, Stalin made a vast effort to rid Russia of religion, but that had nothing to do with atheism. It was the only way he knew to seize power of the country.

While Stalin was no peach, he was not exactly what you would call a died-in-the-wool atheist. He was more a secular minded religious opportunist, which is a personal character trait. He did not use atheism to gain control, but religious principles that were modified to fit his own, sick and twisted method of revolution.

STALIN

edit on 20-9-2010 by KIZZZY because: Facelift

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

are you saying hitler was RED

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
the only thing atheists are enemies of to the pope are his power and profit - if someone came up with a video of him goosestepping the moonwalk with Hitlers head I'd still believe it was real as that man is evil, you can see it in his devil eyes.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
the only thing atheists are enemies of to the pope are his power and profit - if someone came up with a video of him goosestepping the moonwalk with Hitlers head I'd still believe it was real as that man is evil, you can see it in his devil eyes.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have to say that the popes comments made me laugh harder than I have laughed in a while. I have never met any Extremist Atheists in my life, although I have met more dysfunctional delusional people from the major religions of the world that make me cringe.

I think what the pope was trying to say to people in the UK was "Oh Dear....you have all rumbled the fact that the bible is just a load of gibberish, nothing adds up, Slavery and Paedophilia are not mentioned as sins, murder and genocide are carried out in gods name every day. So now I'm going to use some reverse psychology to try and take the heat of my religion"

I have heard a few comments from people as well in response to this saying that they are now embarrassed about their religion and don't feel free to practice it in the UK. Well that maybe true, but its not that people are not free to practice religion, its just that most people in the UK see the double standards, and evil, dualistic principles and constant contradictions of religion and want to question it. So , in the UK expect to have the right and freedom to be religious, but expect to be challenged.

Such as, why is having sex when its your wife’s time of the month punishable by death? Why are women not allowed to take senior positions in the Church. Why does the US, the most "Christian" country on earth have the most violent history internally and externally since the last world war....

I would love to meet the pope and read through every bit of the bible and challenge every point.

In the UK we are also graced with a good level of education. Which helps. if someone has watched the Jamie Oliver thing recently about USA and food standards in schools, I was surprised at the lack of education around certain things from toddlers all the way to the heads of school. And, equally shocked at Jamie being hounded and grilled as if he were visiting an 80's version of communist eastern Europe. I gather that the Educational System in the states is akin to an Orwellian State from 1984. If you keep a population stupid then they will now be able to understand , or form rational cognative argument and analyse information and data received. In the UK we have a growing population of Stupid, but luckily the middle classes still see knowledge as power.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pax et Intellectus

OH AND ONE LAST THING!!!

Why on earth did the pope give the queen, and the queen give the pope a gift for Flips Sake. What would have more sense is if the queen and the pope visited a few orphans and gave them a shed load of toys and a college grant for education or something....free flipin gifts. What a load of BS!! I think the Rare Gospell that he gave to the queen (And not the UK people might I add cos' no one will bloody see it) is worth around £50,000.00 Thats a brilliant chariatable donation to one of the world richest people....bloody Bull Crap!!!

Oh! I forget they're Aristocrats......thats a homage to the worlds longest and dirtiest jokes....but now more than ever it makes me think about the church and the royal family.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Glasgow:

You wrote:

"Bog, your posts actually don't make any sense...??? Seriously, perhaps you should try talking that over with someone..?"

I talk with Henry, my omniscient mouse, all the time. He is more real and makes more sense than most 'christian' fabulations.

edit on 21-9-2010 by bogomil because: Orders from the boss (Henry)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

Good post. "Atheists have killed more people in the last century "...MY BACK SIDE!!! Hitler was a Christian according to all my History books, part of the reason he did not like jews. And yes, Stalin was an Orthodox Catholic....Put that in their Christian Orwellian Controlled Rewrite of the History Books pipe....and Shhhmoke it!!

And communism has nothing to do with Atheism

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Oh really now? It's soo funny that certain people want to whitewash their belief system and infer that somehow their's is the one true way to what everyone craves, peace. Just isn't so though.

Yes kiddies Atheism is a part of Communism. Doesn't make atheism bad though. Just makes it a imperfect human concept LIKE ALL OF HUMAN CONCEPTS.

As Mikhail Gorbachev aptly stated, the Soviet communist state carried out a comprehensive “war on religion.” He lamented that the Bolsheviks, his predecessors, even after the civil war ended in the early 1920s, during a time of “peace,” had “continued to tear down churches, arrest clergymen, and destroy them. This was no longer understandable or justifiable. Atheism took rather savage forms in our country at that time.”

The Soviet Union, reflective of the communist world as a whole, was openly hostile to religion and officially atheist; it was not irreligious or unreligious, with no stance on religion, but took the position that there was no God. Moreover, that atheism translated into a form of vicious anti-religion that included a systematic, often brutal campaign to eliminate belief. This began from the outset of the Soviet communist state and still continues in various forms in communist countries to this day, from China to North Korea to Cuba.

Hm some of this sounds like certain members here....

The roots of this hatred and intolerance of religion lie in the essence of communist ideology. Marx dubbed religion the “opiate of the masses,” and opined that, “Communism begins where atheism begins.” Speaking on behalf of the Bolsheviks in his famous October 2, 1920 speech, Lenin stated matter-of-factly: “We do not believe in God.” Lenin insisted that “all worship of a divinity is a necrophilia.” He wrote in a November 1913 letter that “any religious idea, any idea of any God at all, any flirtation even with a God is the most inexpressible foulness … the most dangerous foulness, the most shameful ‘infection.’” James Thrower of the University of Virginia (a Russia scholar and also a translator) says that in this letter the type of “infection” Lenin was referring to was venereal disease.

SOURCE

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But communism abolishes eternal truths,it abolishes all religion, and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it therefore acts in contradiction to all past historical experience."

Communist Manifesto

edit on 22-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Both Hitler and Stalin were nominally raised as Catholics but as they got older they were hardly practicing Catholics and their views and beliefs had somewhat changed.

People change as they get older.

Even Dawkins admits to having 'a normal Anglican upbringing'.
Will history remember him as being a member of The Church Of England or as an Atheist?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The only thing about calling Hitler an athiest, and blaming athiesm on his actions, is that he was a Roman Catholic. He was christened as such, and he never denouced it. in several of his speaches, he says that his religion tells him to be a fighter, and that he is doing all of this (what he did) in the name of god.

So, the pope telling people that Nazism is the same as Atheism, is proper hillarious, becasue Hitler was a Roman Catholic, and did what he did unde religious "instruction" It just goes to show just how far detatched the pope is from reality. And how he should be ignored, and pointed/laughed at for his insubordinate views.

edit on 22/9/2010 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join