It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Pope Benedict XV has arrived in Britain brandishing an outspoken anti-secular message sure to further anger his opponents. In a speech outside Holyrood House, the Pope warned against "aggressive forms of secularism" and "atheist extremism". The comments had strong overtones of those which came from his advisor, Cardinal Walter Kasper, who stepped out of the trip yesterday after a German magazine quoted him saying the UK was in the grip of "a new and aggressive atheism".

Full artricle here

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: rearranged

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
So I found this very ironic.... or just odd I guess.
Here we have the paedophile appeaser Pope Benedict, warning people against "aggressive secularism" and "Atheist Extremism".

I personally find the real and tangible religious extremism far more worrying than that of the so-called "Atheist Extremism"

Sounds like a man who's slightly annoyed by the (very low) estimated numbers of people who are lining the streets and buying tickets for his speeches/masses etc.... and a man who knows that his brand of religion is on the decline.

They have interviewed several Scottish Catholics on TV so far and most are disillusioned with the catholic church and feel that they are very out of date.
They are still proud Catholics but certainly not proud of the Pope and the state of the reputation of the Catholic church.

I guess he just doesn't like the fact that the UK is a secular society.

Oh well.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
He's a joke.

Somebody should tell him that atheism is the OLDEST belief on the planet.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
He's a joke.

Well exactly, and Catholicism is one of the newest.

Oh well, I'm glad people here (UK) know the score, most anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Of course to the Pope, anything not Catholic is Atheist. Therefore, Atheism has conquered the World!

What he is really railing about is that people are finding their own voice of God within them. It is being expressed in many forms, even Atheism, all of which he cannot control. I fail to see this as a bad thing. No one man should ever have control over another's God given right to hear his voice and interpret it themselves. Even if that voice is playing peek-a-boo inside their head, causing them to doubt. I believe this is what Christ wanted. Now you know you are reading the words of a Heretic. So be it...

Judge not, Love All, Be at peace,

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 16-9-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I personally find the real and tangible religious extremism far more worrying than that of the so-called "Atheist Extremism"

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a bit of athiestic Nazism, Communism et al...better add athiest social engineering as well to that list (social engineering in fact being the dominant ideology in the U.K. today).

Sounds like a man who's slightly annoyed by the (very low) estimated numbers of people who are lining the streets

Yes, only 125,000 lined the streets of Edinburgh to greet him...although to be fair Scotland has been traditionally a Protestant country...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Extremist ANYTHING is something to be aware of and be cautious of.

Originally posted by IAMIAM
Of course to the Pope, anything not Catholic is Atheist.

Actually, Pope John Paul II said that there is truth to be found in all religions in the world.
The Catholic church .. and the pope as well .. haven't said that anyone not Catholic is Atheist.

Judge not, Love All, Be at peace,

Ya' might want to take your own advice. Judge not .. until you know the whole story.
Love = not telling what you know to be a lie. Be at peace = find the truth.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What can be a greater example of extreme secularism than the cover-up by the Vatican of the sexual abuse of children by its priests and officials?

This man and his criminal group of cohorts is not fit to lick the boots of the children who were abused.

Total garbage psyops IMO

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Don't worry blupblup,

I'm right there with you.

The clown can say what he likes, he's still an ex-NAZI youth, kiddy fiddler and assassin (John Paul 1st) appeaser in a dress, trying to extort money from the gullible as far as i'm concerned. And that's all he'll ever be to me.

As you say, he's probably miffed the earnings are going to be right down in the drain on this trip. What they'll rake in on this, will probably only just about cover the hypocrites' travel expenses..hopefully less, and none of the rest of them will bother coming here again if there's no coin in it for them.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

On what grounds do you say that?

There has never been a culture found on Earth that did not have a relligious/spiritual belief...

Unless you're a Darwinian and are referring to the monkeys that predated Man and from which he supposedly developed from...personally I think aspiring to the belief system of monkeys does not seem a sound basis...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Also the BHA are protesting against the Pope and have had victims of abuse there in Scotland talking to the press and so on.

Also there is a schedule of planned protests and talks and so to be found here.

www.protest-the-pope.org.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
For secularism, read - the Vatican's loss of power over it's once gullible congregation.
For secularism, read - the willingness to expose the crimes of the Catholic church.
For secularism, read - loss of revenue.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurManInGlasgow

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a bit of athiestic Nazism, Communism et al...better add athiest social engineering as well to that list (social engineering in fact being the dominant ideology in the U.K. today).

Well It's funny you say that.... Hitler was raised as..... you guessed it, A Catholic

Also to say that communism or social engineering are Atheistic in nature is not really truthful.
You may as well say that tall people bomb countries more than short people or blame people with pierced ears or something.

To quote:

Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for. Being killed by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

It's silly to think otherwise.

I KILL YOU IN THE NAME OF......ER.... NO GOD!!!

You see?

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: Clarity

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Does anyone really care what the paedophile loving, bigoted anti-christ thinks?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Well no we don't... some people obviously do and It's interesting he's attacking Atheists and Atheist Extremism.... when He's responsible for more deaths around the world than probably anyone else.

Contraception.....

He is a prick.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Extremist ANYTHING is something to be aware of and be cautious of.

Absolutely!

Originally posted by FlyersFanActually, Pope John Paul II said that there is truth to be found in all religions in the world.

I am sorry, I thought the subject was Pope Benedict. I'll go read it again to be sure.

Originally posted by FlyersFanThe Catholic church .. and the pope as well .. haven't said that

Public speeches and Papal decree or "Bull" is it? are two different things. When words differ from actions, that is where untruths are found.

Originally posted by FlyersFanYa' might want to take your own advice. Judge not .. until you know the whole story.

I haven't judged, simply stated my own belief. By all means keep your own.

Originally posted by FlyersFanLove = not telling what you know to be a lie.

I have not told a lie. I Spoke the Truth as I see it. Your version may vary.

Originally posted by FlyersFan Be at peace = find the truth.

I have, by studying the actions of the Catholic Church through history and comparing it to the words of Jesus Christ. When actions do not mimic words, deceptions are found.

Granted, ALL faiths have blood on their hands. All except the faith of Jesus Christ. He gave his blood, not demand that others do to be saved.

Now this is my own personal view based on what I have seen, heard, and comprehended through life. You are welcome to your own.

That is MY Peace.

Judge not, Love All, be at peace.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 16-9-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I am struggling to consider extremist athiesm actions....run into some coffee shop, scream about nothing much, then get a latte and debate?

a athiest is highly unlikely to suicide bomb himself considering...well, this is all there is....and often a athiest has a profound respect for others lives also...because he/she knows this is all they got also.

There are plenty of famous non-theists in history, and besides a couple (Stalin, Nepolian), most have been a positive influence

in the wise words of Frank Zappa, "Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?"

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

edit on 16-9-2010 by Prince Of Darkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Also to say that communism or social engineering are Atheistic in nature is not really truthful.
You may as well say that tall people bomb countries more than short people or blame people with pierced ears or something.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: Clarity

I have to disagree...the sense of spirituality/religion is a guiding force to the way that peoples choose to live their lives...If someone says to me that God, (or spirituality, or some 'higher power'), doesn't exist then to me they are basically saying that morality doesn't exist and are probably making an excuse for themselves for some sort of wrong they are planning to commit against me.

Social engineering is an offshoot of communism...again, I really resent being told by athiests such as them as to what the 'moral' way to live my life should be...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join