It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 4
17
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup
 


Fully agree.

Thats why I didn't call him a Nazi, I said he was in the Hitler Youth, and he was.
We also only have his word for it that apparently he didn't like it. I hardly think that he's going to say "I really loved the shiny boots, I just couldn't wait to get to Nazi school in the morning"




posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The pope has denounced pedophilia and Nazism as evil on many ocassions.

What you are doing is tying an entire Religion with Billions of dedicated followers to child-rape. Thats the type of hate-mongering journalism I have come to expect from atheist-extremists in the last few years.



Why dont you go back to worshipping Batman while us grown-ups try to make the world a better place.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes
 




So as I thought, your allegations that I had said he endorsed paedophiles and was a Nazi, were completely untrue... upon realsing this, you decide to resort to childish name calling and deflection, using my avatar as a weapon to take away from the fact that you are a liar and you are unable to read a thread properly.


How about you go away and let the adults discuss things in a calm and rational manner, using real quotes and talking about things that were actually said, not making crap up to suit your argument and then not having the guts to admit you're wrong and apologise.


Pathetic.


edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: spelling, as usual



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
The pope has denounced pedophilia and Nazism as evil on many ocassions.

What you are doing is tying an entire Religion with Billions of dedicated followers to child-rape. Thats the type of hate-mongering journalism I have come to expect from atheist-extremists in the last few years.



Why dont you go back to worshipping Batman while us grown-ups try to make the world a better place.


No one has done that apart from you in this post.

You asked for proof that the pope was in the hitler youth. I provided it and you ignored it.
I provided you proof that the pope asked for Bishops to cover up claims of child abuse. You ignored it again..

I'm still waiting for this list of amazing achievements.

I treat the pope in the same way that I would treat any bigoted homophobic racist old man, with utter contempt.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners
 




This person has no idea what they're talking about.
I too have showed them the proof they seek but they are unwilling to accept that they jumped the gun and threw accusations around without being able to back them up.


There is a name for this type of behaviour and this type of person, Troll.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup
 


Would have been better had he said Atheist Iconoclasty. But iconoclasty is dangerous regardless who upholds it. On another subject, I actually agree with something the Roman Catholic Pope said. Whoa. Never thought that'd happen.
And.....

Say hello to your fallacy:

An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise. The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy. The ad hominem is not always fallacious, for in some instances questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue.

SOURCE



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Aggressive atheism = Atheists who don't want to foot the bill in taxes for the popes visit.
What barbaric extremists!



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
The pope has denounced pedophilia and Nazism as evil on many ocassions.

What you are doing is tying an entire Religion with Billions of dedicated followers to child-rape. Thats the type of hate-mongering journalism I have come to expect from atheist-extremists in the last few years.



Why dont you go back to worshipping Batman while us grown-ups try to make the world a better place.


And at the same time of denouncing it, he urged bishops to keep cases as private and covert up as possible...doesn't matter what his mouth says if his hand does the exact opposite!



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This should further tick off atheists. :p


In his address, the Pope spoke of "a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society".

He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

SOURCE



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
This should further tick off atheists. :p


In his address, the Pope spoke of "a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society".

He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

SOURCE


Nazis were catholics, weren't they?
Also I have to laugh at this part

He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

He basically just wants to oppress atheists and create a theocracy, it seems.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo
 


It is the pope we are talking about here. But nothing he said made me think he was telling Britian to be a theocracy. I do agree that the exact opposite of theocracy is just as bad and aggressive atheism is just as bad as aggresive theism.

Seems to me your breathing more into his comments then is really there.


edit on 16-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
This should further tick off atheists. :p


In his address, the Pope spoke of "a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society".

He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

SOURCE



Typical.

There's always one person in the debate that tries to play the "Hitler / Stalin / Tito etc were all atheists, and suppressed religion brutally."

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

They suppressed any form of individualism - not the religions specifically. Both the Pope, and YOU have got it wrong here.

BlupBlup has it right. Catholicism is a rotting husk of a belief system - and it's beginning to hum. Let's just put it down now - along with it's evil twin, Protestantism. Both are sickening fronts for criminality, false moral certitude, and bigoted hypocrisy. The Pope is a revolting, scummy example of what they produce.

Bye bye Christianity - I bagsy the local church for a saucy nightclub.

Parallex.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by hippomchippo
 


It is the pope we are talking about here. But nothing he said made me think he was telling Britian to be a theocracy. I do agree that the exact opposite of theocracy is just as bad and aggressive atheism is just as bad as aggresive theism.

Seems to me your breathing more into his comments then is really there.


edit on 16-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)


Yeah, I'm assuming a little bit, but really, it seems like britain is headed for a seperation of church and state that the pope really really really doesn't want.

But to claim the pope doesn't want a theocracy would be funny, all religions want theocracies, they just aren't open about it.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex
 


Um actually in a few cases, yes, specifically. Stalin and Chairman Mao come to mind in particular.


edit on 16-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo
 


I didn't say he didn't want a theocracy. I merely said nothing he said suggested that was his want there, right after saying "It IS the Pope we are talking about here.". Re-read what I said please. And if I remember my history correctly Britian broke away from Catholic dominance a long time ago. You know that whole Church of England thing.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Parallex
 


Um actually in a few cases, yes, specifically. Stalin and Chairman Mao come to mind in particular.


edit on 16-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)


I don't know much about Mao, but changing religion with yourself isn't atheism.
Soviet russian religion was about stalin and lenin, not lack of a deity, but a human one.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
 




Are you talking about my attack on the pope?

I'm not clear what your Ad hom attacks point is referring to?



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo
 


A cult of personality is not the same as a religion. And when individuals are specifically killed due to their religious belief. Well, you can do the math.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by hippomchippo
 


I didn't say he didn't want a theocracy. I merely said nothing he said suggested that was his want there, right after saying "It IS the Pope we are talking about here.". Re-read what I said please. And if I remember my history correctly Britian broke away from Catholic dominance a long time ago. You know that whole Church of England thing.

Yes, but they don't have a full seperation of church and state ala the U.S.
Not to mention the drastically falling rates of religious british people and voila, birth of "aggressive atheism"
I'm not saying atheists can't be aggressive in their views, as they sure can, just as any religious person can be, but in this case, the pope is just using it as leverage in my opinion.



posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Um actually in a few cases, yes, specifically. Stalin and Chairman Mao come to mind in particular.




Just in case you missed this on page 1, here you go.


Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for. Being killed by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness



new topics

top topics



 
17
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join