It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree, but there are still too many, with a disproportionate influence, who believe in this crap. Hence why I would rather have been born in the future, as I believe religion as we know it will have to die out sometime.

edit on 16/9/2010 by DSSONE because: I edit soooo much. Rubbish typing abilities.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

Amen to that!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

and a man who knows that his brand of religion is on the decline.

Exactly.

Religion is fast becoming irrelevant and with knowledge just a click away on the internet people have the opprotunity to be exposed to various levels of criticism against religion that they might not have otherwise heard. Whether it be through parody, logic and reason, science or history religion is constantly being challenged online and it seems, to me, to be losing on all fronts of teh internets.

I do find it pretty lame he's attacking atheists and even claiming there's a semi-radical sect of them. Sometimes they're termed Evangelical Atheists, the kind that lack belief in god and don't shut up about it. I for one am glad atheists are becoming more vocal and getting out there dispelling the strawmen and silly rumors that have attached themselves to atheists over the years (we atheists eat babies, NOM NOM NOM
)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I also find it very lame that he's attacking Atheists, It's actually pathetic.

He was obviously looking for a way to draw attention away from his paedophilia ridden group.... and thought "how about I attack intelligent, peace loving people instead."
Can't attack Muslims that's politically incorrect and I may be harmed.... so I'll attack Atheists.

This visit is pointless and unwanted and smacks of desperation..... trying to reach out to a once Christian society and trying to find fault with people who have no religious persuasion.
Actually using terms like "aggressive secularism" and "Atheist extremism"

It's pathetic and the man is an abomination.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Im no Catholic, but the guy deserves a little more respect for the sum of his lifes work than to be vilified as a pedophilia-endorser by an anonymous internet-goon who worships Batman. Read up on the guys achievements, then compare them to your achievements, Batman-Fan.

I found your post so shallow and so absolutely hilarious, that I decided to bring back my old "religious themed" avatar, just for you.

You are special... no really

Love,

A Batman fan

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is about one thing, and one thing only: $$$

The pope realizes that people are waking up and demanding rational logical discussions rather than pure "belief". Science was able to debunk so many of the religious statements (not just Christian ones), that people are slowly turning their backs on religion, or at least don't back it as extremely as before. The number of believers has been decreasing steadily for the past 20 years, and the pope knows that...less members, less income for him. The church is nothing but a business like a member's club, and we all know what happens to an outdated club...it closes down and only hard-core fans still remain.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hopefully science,official history being made public and archeological advances render this pox upon the planet the church of rome redundant and all become aware of the scam and fraud it is.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I found your post so shallow and so absolutely hilarious

I dont find your OP shallow. I find it irresponsible.

Please show me exactly where the Pope endorsed pedophiles and Nazis. Reference Articles, Links, anything.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I found your post so shallow and so absolutely hilarious

Please show me exactly where the Pope endorsed pedophiles and Nazis. Reference Articles, Links, anything.

The whole Catholic church always did their best to cover up cases of pedophile priests, and the pope always went along with it (best case scenario...worst case he initiated the cover-ups).
LINK

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

In what way is it Irresponsible?

I find your accusations unfounded and complete bollocks.... everything you seem to think I've said is absolutely not true.

Please show me exactly where the Pope endorsed pedophiles

I never said endorses... you clearly have an issue... but It's not with me.
I have neither accused the pope of being a paedophile, nor accused him of endorsing them.

Perhaps you should actually read my OP and posts and you may have some sort of idea what I, and others, are talking about.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

ipsnews.net...

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

This really isn't "recent news" you know?

Not sure how you don't know about this.

Nazis. Reference Articles, Links, anything.

Never mentioned him being a Nazi.

As I said... I think you have me confused with others on this thread?

You seems very angry considering you're not a Catholic?
Your anger has clouded your ability to discern was is being said or implied in this topic.

Chill out

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Batman has done far more good than the Pope, at least Batman uses his bullet proof car to fight crime, rather than just parading around telling Aids ridden Africa to stop using condoms and making pompous statements about atheism all while protecting pedophiles from being pursued by the full extent of the law. In an ideal world Batman would break into the Vatican and expedite the Pope to the stairs of Gotham's courthouse.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Hell yeah.... Batman is the man.

Batman will be back..... my Fallen Angel ( Or kidnapped angel) always comes out when things get a little.... argumental

But yeah, Batman will be back....

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It was me that said he was in the Hitler youth.
and indeed he was

Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth — as membership was required by law for all 14-year old German boys after December 1939

Here Is the link
Apparently he "didn't like it" though, I assume they were a bit too liberal for his taste

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Bit to Liberal? You wouldn't know Liberal if it bit you in the but!
freestudents.blogspot.com...

Liberalism, properly understood, is the historic advocate of individual freedom. It has promoted the rule of law and private property, with free exchange of goods and ideas. Its opposition to censorship and state economic controls were based on the same principle. Liberalism, as the name implies, is the fundamental belief in a political ideal where individuals are free to pursue their own goals, in their own ways, provided they do not infringe on the equal liberty of others.

I'm proud to call myself a Liberal.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Romantic_Rebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Considering some of the hateful things I've seen on this website, I can't say I disagree with him.

It's not a religion or lack there of that makes you an extremist, it's your state of mind. And some of the minds here scare me.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

Ohh and heres a lovely article about a Letter the pope wrote to EVERY Catholic Bishop pleading that they

hold its inquiries behind closed doors and keep the evidence confidential for up to 10 years after the victims reached adulthood.

So not condoning pedophilia no, just asking that it didn't get reported to the police and nothing was done about it

link

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Oh he was in the Hitler youth, as with the paedo cover up, I thought everyone knew these facts.... clearly not.

However, being in Hitler-youth, does not make him a Nazi.... I guess he had no choice...like most other 14 year old boys at the time.

Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth — as membership was required by law for all 14-year old German boys after December 1939[9] — but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings.[10] His father was an enemy of Nazism, believing it conflicted with the Catholic faith. In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was taken away by the Nazi regime and killed during the Aktion T4 campaign of Nazi eugenics

Link

I don't blame him for the Hitler Youth thing, It was out of his control.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Bit to Liberal? You wouldn't know Liberal if it bit you in the but!
freestudents.blogspot.com...

Liberalism, properly understood, is the historic advocate of individual freedom. It has promoted the rule of law and private property, with free exchange of goods and ideas. Its opposition to censorship and state economic controls were based on the same principle. Liberalism, as the name implies, is the fundamental belief in a political ideal where individuals are free to pursue their own goals, in their own ways, provided they do not infringe on the equal liberty of others.

I'm proud to call myself a Liberal.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Romantic_Rebel because: (no reason given)

I'm fully aware of what the word Liberal means

Are you aware of what the word sarcasm means...

Did you honestly think I was calling the Nazi party liberal

Good Grief

edit on 16-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Just checking! Conservatives are everywhere lately you know.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Considering some of the hateful things I've seen on this website, I can't say I disagree with him.

With who, I'm not sure who you're referring to?

It's not a religion or lack there of that makes you an extremist, it's your state of mind. And some of the minds here scare me.

I agree....some minds here and out in the real world, are extremely worrying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join